Blue Plate Taco
1515 Ocean Ave. Suite A
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Blue Plate Taco
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://blueplatesantamonica.com/bpt/home/
- Phone: 3104582985
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner
Sunday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Paolo Bendzu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We have menu options for all of your catering needs. We can provide food and staff for your parties.
- Private Party Facilities: We have a large patio that can accommodate up to 60 people and we are available for private parties.
A word from Blue Plate Taco
Blue Plate Taco is best described as fresh and light beachside Mexican cuisine. Our menu items consist of many organic and substainably farmed ingredients. We offer a variety of fresh crudo and ceviche. Our meat and fish are premium products sourced from some of the country’s best purveyors. Our masa and tortillas as well as all of our salsas are made fresh daily. The core of our beverage program begins with our daily house made agua frescas; In addition, we hand craft our cocktails and our beer/wine list was carefully selected to pair with our food. At 90 seats including a large patio that offers ocean and pier views, the vibe is lively and fun.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Blue Plate Taco - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
Blue Plate Taco reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (85)scenic view (68)great for lunch (46)hot spot (40)neighborhood gem (39)fit for foodies (37)kid-friendly (21)good for groups (20)great for brunch (18)vibrant bar scene (18)special occasion (7)late-night find (6)romantic (5)Show More
- Fun dinnertravellingmanDined on 9/14/20144 of us plus a toddler had a fun Sunday night dinner at Blue Plate Taco. The location is great; our table was ready on time; the wait staff was friendly and efficient; the food was good; portions were certainly big enough for us.
- Amazing Cadillac Margaritas!LuvmargsDined on 9/13/2014Great place for quacamole, tacos and margaritas. Sit outside for a wonder view of the ocean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner SpottexasppaDined on 9/6/2014We dined there on a Friday night. The Tacos were excellent (get the side of slaw) and the blood orange margarita was superb. Great service too. Overall, an excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Plate TacoeatinginLADined on 9/6/2014They need to clarify their parking rules. They only credit 2 hours of parking. That wasn't clear, and they tried to charge us $22. We got it down to $15. But that was much more than parking in a nearby city parking lot, which we would have done, if we realized parking at the restaurant was going to cost more than $8.Special Features:
- Great food, great locationJehnaDined on 8/31/2014Simple Mexican food in a great location. Good music, good atmosphere and good sangria as well. But, given it's location it's unsurprisingly expensive so be prepared to pay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food not worth the priceIknowtacosDined on 8/31/2014The food came out quick, but that is the only positive part of the food. The food was lukewarm. The tacos were not standard tortilla size. They were slightly bigger than a silver dollar. I had the steak tacos, the meat was dry. The short-rib tacos were good. The chicken was good as well. In my opinion, this place is a on-the-beach tourist trap. The restaurant is right by the Santa Monica Pier and if you are hungry you will be tempted to go in.
- One of our Favorites...RossHongKongVIPDined on 8/31/2014As always, a great time with the best Steak Quesadillas anywhere.....Special Features:
- Grab a taco as you come off beachTNHawkeyeDined on 8/30/2014This is hardly a food destination, but if you're in the neighborhood and hungry (thirsty?) it's definitely a good call. The Tap Out cocktail was better than my steak tacos, and there certainly is no other reason to extend your dining experience in this chaotic, noisy street side cafe. Service was above average, offsetting the limited menu and disappointing snoozer-salsa. Next time I'll try their oyster bar.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect modern mexican magicLondonerDined on 8/28/2014Fanstastic fresh modern mexican food in a gorgeous vibrant environment. Staff are friendly and welcoming and food is out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Testy tacoGuccaVIPDined on 8/24/2014Very testy small portion and expensive for what u get. Overall must try great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/22/2014The food here is incredibly fresh! the salsa and sauces are amazing -- the best tomatillo I've ever had. I got the brown rice bowl special & the the steak was cooked exceptionally well. My fiancé ordered veggie and shrimp tacos which were phenomenal. Service was also great for an overall perfect night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican "fast food"CyclingpsychiatristVIPDined on 8/22/2014We ordered cocktails, apps, and entrees. Each course came on top of the other. I felt rushed. Food was good.Special Features:
- HmmmmholidaydollVIPDined on 8/19/2014Closed early, even for cocktails. Food was good not great.Special Features:
- Awesome Fresh Mex!!!SoCalDinerDined on 8/16/2014We have been going to Blue Plate Taco since it opened, and have always loved the delicious, healthy, gourmet, fresh take on Mexican food. It's also has a fun, casual, hip, vibrant vibe. It can get fairly loud, but anywhere tequila is served, it usually gets loud :-D ! Just brought our "foodie, but fit" friends from San Francisco area and they raved about it! My only issue with this establishment is that they will let patrons sit at a table and just talk for a long, long, long time after they have finished their meal/drinks/EVERYTHING on their table. Rather than politely requesting the guests pay their bill and relinquish the table to the next group of paying diners who have been waiting there for a long, long, long time.Special Features:
- Awesome food!!SterVIPDined on 8/8/2014The best food, awesome service, and the staff is amazing!! We have been back once a week since we found this restaurant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy & crowded!DisappointedVIPDined on 8/4/2014The seating was like an obstacle course to get to our seats. I requested no scallion garni & no dairy, the first time I received the fish tacos with mounds of scallions, after returning it, I received cold tacos with dairy sauce! The service was compromised by the restaurant being so crowded & noisy.....Special Features:
- Of the Blue Plates...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/1/2014This is my least favorite. Slapped on the front of the sleek Shore hotel this discordant space looks like a Junky Mexican Dive Bar. Being an aficionado of Junky Mexican Dive Bars, I don't say this lightly. The net effect is a completely fake environment, although the dirt and grime are quite real and the experience is further belied by the fact that menu and drink prices are very much up to the usual Blue Plate standards. If you want great South of the Border walk over to Mercado or to the grandaddy of them all, Border Grill. If you want a real Blue Plate experience, head a few blocks up to Oysterette where the seafood is divine and lovingly served up in a chic little space.Special Features:
- Blue Plate Heavendjd27Dined on 8/1/2014Lobster Tacos...need I say more? My trips to Santa Monica would be incomplete without this little piece of beachfront heaven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencemmmmmmgoodDined on 7/26/2014Shrimp Tacos and the Margaritas were great. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/25/2014The ambiance is very nice but the food is really bad, I was so disappointed.doesnt taste like a real Mexican. I did g like the small portions as wellSpecial Features:
- Nice For Small MealsRookieDinerDined on 7/25/2014I enjoyed the atmosphere, the service was excellent, the staff were very friendly and attentive. My only issue was the portions. For as much money spent , I felt the servings were a little tiny. The food was good, the drinks were too. My only issue was the portions.Special Features:
- DisappointedWangDined on 7/19/2014Hello- I have come to blue plate taco 3 other times before, always been pretty good experience. Took my folks this past weekend and it stunk, especially when it's 150 bucks. The service was shakey, guy kept telling us out food was coming up and our drinks would be right out. Well- the drinks finally arrived with out lukewarm tortilla soup and one second later our average at best lobster tacos came one second later which tasted and looked bad . I apologized for bringing my guests to the place.
- Not so greattcfoodieDined on 7/18/2014Would have been a fun place to go for drinks, but I thought the food was marginal. Our party of five sat outside on a high top with great view, but very windy and cold in July. Felt as if the food was being thrown at us in a hurry to turn the table around. I was surprised at all the great food reviews because that was not our experience. Would not go back.Special Features:
- YummyLLC14Dined on 7/17/2014Great little spot! Fun for a casual dinner at sunset!Special Features:
- With a reservation...45minute wait!jojoknowsfoodVIPDined on 7/16/2014Well worth the wait! To be fair I had a reservation for 8pm and I had to call to let them know I was going to be late because of a late flight coming in with guess from out of town. So I asked if they can still accommodate us for 8:30, they said sure! Come on in! We arrived at exactly 8:30pm. We waited for 45 minutes and we were angry to say the least. The manager came over to apologize for the wait and gave us complementary drinks and chips/salsa and guacamole to hold us over! After we sat down and ordered our entrees I have to say they totally redeem themselves! The shrimp taco's were done to perfection and the veggie taco's had truffle oil on them...yummy! I will definitely go again and be a little more patient!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timerHappyfeetatthebeachDined on 7/9/2014We happened to walk by The Blue Plate Taco on our way back from the pier to our hotel. We decided to try it because it was within walking distance & smelled delicious. Glad we stopped in. Food was DELUCIOUS & staff was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING FOODyummytummyDined on 7/6/2014The food is so fantastic and the atmosphere is superb! Nice to be right across from the beach.Special Features:
- Inattentive waitstaffHeatherVIPDined on 6/29/2014I recently dined at Blue Plate Taco with my daughter. The food was tasty and portions were fine, but the service was awful. Our server, Abby, was very busy chatting throughout our entire meal. She took our order correctly, but by the time our appetizer arrived, Abby had failed to bring the drinks that we ordered, or even pour water. She did not return even once after our food was served to ask how it was. Rather, she stood about 12 feet away from our table chatting with another server. We noted that the servers in the patio area were working very hard, while ours inside hardly worked. I might consider returning in the future, but only if I could be certain that our server was actually there to wait tables, and not to socialize.
- Good Food/AmbianceMelly83Dined on 6/25/2014This place is great if you want to sit outside and eat dinner and have delicious drinks. You have a great view of Santa Monica Beach. This is a great place for groups but it can get a little noisy.Special Features:
- Super expensive, tiny portionsnoikuDined on 6/24/2014Pro: - great view - our server was attentive - interesting food choices - good tasting food Cons: - took forever for food to come out - super expensive - tiny portions - cramped outdoor seating Don't get me wrong, I'm ok with paying for good food. But for ~$18 (after tax/tip), eating the 3 smallest tacos in the world leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Better food for better prices can be yours elsewhere.Special Features:
- Great spot, good foodHaydenDined on 6/22/2014Food was very tasty, portion a little small for the price. Great location, loved being across from the ocean and really cool ambiance.Special Features:
- Always goodblknoodleDined on 6/19/2014I am never disappointed in this restaurant. The waitstaff is attentive, the food good and the prices are very manageable. I have ordered through the menu so many times, that I now only am enticed by the specials. So far, they are consistently good. I never thought I would order a rice bowl in a Mexican restaurant, but it is stellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/17/2014Had lunch there one day - had to go back the next day to eat more delicious tacos! Ended up trying the chicken tinga, fish, vegetable, and lobster tacos. All were fantastic! Salsa and chips were also delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue plate tacoRobboVIPDined on 6/13/2014Fun, festive and delicious! Excellent service, excellent menu..Special Features:
- Awesome!StBarthFanDined on 6/7/2014Great food , great service! Reasonably priced. What more could you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great at Blue Plate TacoblknoodleDined on 6/4/2014For the 3rd time, I met friends at Blue Plate Taco and have been on all occasions impressed by the good food, the service and the moderate prices. It is located across from the Santa Monica pier and couldn't be more indicative of the southern California lifestyle, if it were a movie set. Great food, ginger margaritas a must and the service combined excellence with California casual. Will keep going back over and over again...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tacos by the SeaTaraInTODined on 5/29/2014Energetic atmosphere and great patio location with their made to order guac, delish yet potent margaritas and amazing tacos definitely makes this a Santa Monica go to.Special Features:
- Margaritas & lobster tacosOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2014What else do you need??! This was. Great place, good energy, great with kids but woul also go without.Special Features:
- The following 20 reviews are from the Blue Plate Taco reviews archive.
- DS2014Dined on 5/18/2014Great table staff. I recommend the shrimp tacos. They were delicious. Also, the specialty drinks and great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noisy!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/17/2014Idk what the hype is. Unpleasant dining Experience.Special Features: