Blue Plate Oysterette
1355 Ocean Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Blue Plate Oysterette
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://blueplatesantamonica.com/
- Phone: 3105763474x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner
Sunday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Paolo Bendzu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Blue Plate Oysterette
Blue Plate Oysterette was inspired by East Hampton summer lobster bakes and mouthwatering lunches at Montauk’s favorite roadside eateries. With influences like Pearl Oyster Bar and Mary’s Fish Camp in New York, Oysterette serves lunch and dinner seven days a week with a menu straight out of the seafood shacks you find on the East Coast. Chunky, overflowing lobster rolls, buckets of steamed clams in broth so flavorful that bread demands to be dunked, clam chowder, mussels in broth, ceviche, and raw shellfish so fresh you can smell the ocean. Filling the void in the Westside restaurant scene for a casual, beachy, seafood restaurant and buzzing neighborhood vibe appealing to both surfers and studio heads.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blue Plate Oysterette reviews from OpenTable diners
174 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (99)neighborhood gem (90)fit for foodies (83)scenic view (82)great for lunch (73)hot spot (37)romantic (26)special occasion (25)great for brunch (23)kid-friendly (19)good for groups (16)late-night find (13)vibrant bar scene (8)notable wine list (5)Show More
- Great Early DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/12/2014We enjoyed dining here very much. Waitress was knowledgeable and attentive. Loved their fish entrees, as well as their small plate selections. Dessert was a great finish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very fun!leighleighDined on 10/10/2014This was my second time at Blue Plate Oysterette. I enjoyed good seafood and a fun atmosphere both times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKchungclanVIPDined on 10/10/2014Made a 7:30 rez for this casual spot on Ocean Ave. we arrived early and were told we'd have to wait until 7:30. No problem. After waiting 30 minutes, we were shown to a tiny table crammed into a corner next to a table of 10. Host was not gracious about moving us, but we insisted. Once seated inside, service improved. Food was good, but I found the lack of local seafood odd for an oceanfront restaurant. Loved the surf movies on the video, though.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/7/2014STEAMERS AND LOBSTER roll AND OYSTERS,, OH MY! wine pairing with oysters remind us of visits to normandie in FranceSpecial Features:
- Great place but ran out of clams.2foodieshereDined on 10/6/2014The dinners we ordered were great. The fish and chips was nice and hot and the clams and linguine was superb! The only sad thing was that they were out of steamers and fried Ipswich clams which is why we came, so we each got the lobster roll and it was great!!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceMarilynSDined on 10/3/2014An amazing meal...oysters were delicious and the key-lime pie was spectacular! The staff was so gracious and accommodating. I will definitely dine there again and would highly recommend to anyone looking for fresh seafood and casual dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bestest seafood stop on the WestestSoccerbixDined on 9/30/2014Heard of Blue Plate Oysterette a couple years ago but never made it out. Finally had some time for the wife and I so we headed for a weekday lunch and boy, we will be back. The raw seafood bar is enough to go back, with one of the tastiest ceviches I've ever had north of the border. Good local brews as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5:30 Sunset DinnerMacFamilyDined on 9/26/2014Favorite local for early dinner with our family. Simple menu reasonable price wines. We have been going for years and often bring friends from out of town. Great location to walk before and after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jammed in like happy sardinesciaoletteDined on 9/18/2014TINY space.The noise level = crowded bar. Staff exceptional. Fish super fresh/best quality. Prep,saucing,consistency not what you would expect at this price point, but workable. Hawaiian Ono, black bean ginger sauce, server said it would be served med/rare. Came overcooked, a tragedy for an perfect piece of fish. Sauce was ehh, bitter - not a great balance of flavor. Good wines but short pours,draft beer is a better bargain:ubiquitous Allagash White goes great with menu. In a tourist town filled with uninspired restaurants this is as good as it gets for fresh fish. The burger is good. the oysters and crudo excellent.I eat here every 2-3 months it is a nice stroll from home. You can walk -in, we used Open Table this time, an improvement.Special Features:
- Always a treat to dine hereRickVIPDined on 9/18/2014A joy to dine at this small, beach-side, Santa Monica location with excellent options for fresh seafood and much more. Oysters for me lead the appeal but menu is diverse enough for many other varieties of dining choices.Special Features:
- Highly Recommend!DowntownSamDined on 9/12/2014I highly recommend Blue Plate Oysterette. This was my first time at the restaurant and I enjoyed the experience and the food. I was very impressed not only with the food but also with the attentive service that I and my date received.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for allNonicorVIPDined on 9/12/2014We took our grandchildren and everyone found something they loved on the menu. There is a kids menu for the less adventurous- one granddaughter even ate oysters Rockefeller. We ate lobster rolls, oysters - no name it great butter lettuce salad alsoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was fab, amazing mussels!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/10/2014We had incredible service here. Mentioned we were on our honeymoon, and our waitress gave us a free key lime pie for dessert, house specialty and it was soooo good. She made excellent recommendations - had the curry mussels and tuna tacos, and oysters, all delish. Sat at the bar, great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOmnomDined on 9/6/2014I love sitting outside with views of the Pacific, right on Ocean Ave. This place is small (intimate). So, call ahead for a reservation. The food/vibe is upscale but manages to still feel causal. The food is very good. The oyster selection is outstanding. Recently took family here visiting from the east coast. They gave rave reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood & Sandliv2eatDined on 9/3/2014Great location with views of the ocean & beach, plus scenes of surfing on screen. Fresh seafood, & popular meat entrees as well, served with efficiency & élan. Good for a solo bite or a romantic date. A perfect casual beach destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy OysteretteLUV2EATinSantaMonicaDined on 9/3/2014I love going to the Blue Plate Oysterette. I've never had a bad meal there and always look forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- No record of reservation.SorryDined on 9/1/2014We arrived on time to our reservation, ready a celebrate a birthday, and were very disappointed to be told, with little apology, that there was no record of our reservation and they were fully booked. Surprised by their casual disregard, we pulled up the OpenTable Reservation on our cellphones and they read the email with, again, no apology. The woman at reception basically said, "well, we don't have it." When we asked if they worked with OpenTable, they said yes! Finally, a man resembling perhaps the owner, took a moment to look to say, "our computers crashed today and we tried to retrieve whatever reservations we could." And that was it! No apology. No redress. Finally, the man/owner noticed and offered us our $2 parking fee back.Special Features:
- comfortablecatmomVIPDined on 8/26/2014a comfortable neighborhood place with great seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good StuffebtdadVIPDined on 8/24/2014There's a reason why you see people standing in line outside this rather small restaurant. Good seafood, good service, good prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great location, food okjanjaqDined on 8/23/2014party of 4, service very good, ocean view at outside tables, inside noisy. burger , fish tacos, lobster Mac and cheese, lobster roll all good. fish and chips mushy, not crisp, chips not hot. overall good to take out of towners, but not adding to my list of must re-visitsSpecial Features:
- I should have tried the oysters!SusanRDined on 8/21/2014We went there for dinner and was disappointed that they don't have a full bar, just beer and wine. The food was ok, not bad but nothing memorable. We ordered the cerviche, lobster Mac and cheese, seafood Cobb salad and the lobster roll. The salads weren't memorable and the lobster roll was half the size of the one next door at the Water Grill. We didn't order the fish tacos but should have because they looked good. We lingered quite awhile and the service was above average.Special Features:
- Worse the 2nd timeKingickleDined on 8/20/2014First visit was good, this last visit was awful. Menu described the artichoke as being steamed. Turned out to be grilled, undercooked, oily and inedible. I had the prawn cocktail. Prawns were rubbery and fairly disgusting. My date has the "wild" salmon, according to our server, which turned out to be farmed and mealy. Short and expensive pours on the rose, which I can buy for $5/bottle at TJs. View nice. Good news is that dogs are OK on the patio.Special Features:
- Poor foodTheFineDinersVIPDined on 8/8/2014Our raw oysters were good, no complaint. My grilled Halibut was over cooked to the point of shoe leather. Brussel sprouts undercooked and like rocks. Next table had same problem. Sent back and replacement was ok. Don't go here for anything but the raw shellfish
- My New Favorite at the BeachOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/7/2014Blue Plate is such a great addition to the Santa Monica restaurant scene. Great food, casual atmosphere, beautiful setting. All the dishes we ordered were excellent, except the ceviche. Crab cakes were awesome, as was a fresh trout dish. Service was friendly and prompt.Special Features:
- Good food. Service not greatJoyceroniDined on 8/6/2014They could not find my reservation when I arrived. I showed them the email from opentable and call record from earlier in the day but was made to feel that I had made a mistake. They were slammed and behind but still not a great way to treat a customer. Eventually, they found it. Food was good which is why I tolerate mediocre service and come back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific lunch spotlarryVIPDined on 8/5/2014blue plate offers a great selection of fish and seafood in a comfortable informal space across from the ocean. service was TERRIFIC. clearly the staff is well trained and friendly.Special Features:
- Great seafoodLjr1954Dined on 8/4/2014This was a meal worth waiting for. Casual atmosphere at the beach. Menu offered something for every budget. Don't miss the Crudo, and be sure to try the Lobster Roll. Key Lime pie was a real surprise.Special Features:
- Lunch spotluvgoodfoodDined on 8/4/2014The Mussels in Red curry were amazing. Very disappointed with the crab louie salad. They promptly replaced it with a scallop dish that was fantastic. Service was great and very attentive. The way the staff handled my complaint was perfect and really made me feel valued. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer4meDined on 8/3/2014Loved it! We shared the Mussels in red curry which was to die for and the warm lobster roll was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buen ambiente, mozos cordiales.ZRespDined on 8/1/2014Es un lugar para una cena informal, tienen buenas ostras y mariscos. La atención es rápida y los precios normales para la ciudad. Como siempre el precio de los vinos duplica la cuenta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No FrillsSantaMonicaladyDined on 7/30/2014This is a neighborhood place where you can come right off the beach, sit down and eat. It would not be a place where you wear heels or sportcoats. Given that it has that fish market feel, you get what you get and everything is fresh.Special Features:
- DineLA for oysters & lobster rollsUTFans55Dined on 7/27/2014Had always wanted to go to BP Oysterette, but dreaded the wait. Then found we could make a reservation and do a good deed for during DineLA week! Had delicious oysters on the half shell, lobster roll, and key lime pie - all while dining al fresco and watching the sunset over the Pacific with my kids!! And the service was friendly and prompt, too! What more could this Texas mom ask for?Special Features:
- DisappointedTojoDined on 7/26/2014We were SO looking forward to the food here. As New Engkanders we were looking for a bit of home. Fried clams were so over fried that the poor little clams inside were hard dried out little strings. We thought maybe we just got a bad batch but our next door table mates ended up with the same thing. The clam chowder was good but definitely not traditional. The lobster rolls did not have any flavor :( Better lobster rolls on the good trucks for half the price.
- Blue Plate OysterettefoodIlove13Dined on 7/26/2014I've been to Blue Point Oysterette twice and both times were great. I'm mad about steamers and haven't been able to find the real thing anywhere in L.A. Well, now I've found it. Cooked exactly as they should be (only don't let them put the bread in the broth -- it soaks it all up). Key lime pie was also wonderful. Paella lacked that wonderful funky saffron taste, though. Probably because the cost is prohibitive. Too bad.Special Features:
- SpectularjshpnDined on 7/26/2014Booked BP Oysterette because of the good reviews and everything is above all my expectations and imagination. Love the vibe of the outdoor seating, price is reasonable (or on the cheap side) - the oysters are fresh and gorgeous - lobster roll is insanely good. Will definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating the Pacific RimUncleRonVIPDined on 7/25/2014Located on the edge of the world high above the Pacific Ocean is the best little sea food shack in Santa Monica. Go for the oysters, stay for the fresh caught fish or lobsta roll or anything else.Special Features:
- MaceDined on 7/25/2014The undressed lobster roll is to die for! Will definitely eat here again!Special Features:
- Good food but small tablesOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/23/2014Good food but you feel very cramped. Very noseiy and hard to hear your dateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dineLA with oysters!!funtoeatoutVIPDined on 7/22/2014What a great time to take visitors to this place. The weather was spectacular and the food was equal to the fabulous location. Went for lunch and the next day...went back for dinner. The Mussels are the best in LA. Actually, maybe the world!Special Features:
- A little Atlantic summerSMdinerVIPDined on 7/20/2014Always the perfect spot if you are longing for some Atlantic summer seafood. Everything delicious except the hot dog–do not order the hot dog. But I guess that's what you get for ordering a hot dog in a place like that.I would recommend this to a friend.