Blue Plate Oysterette - Hollywood
8048 W. 3rd Street
Los Angeles, CA 90048Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Blue Plate Oysterette - Hollywood
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.blueplatesantamonica.com/
- Phone: 3236565474
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Blue Plate Oysterette - Hollywood
Seafood and raw bar, and a few other American favorites.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blue Plate Oysterette - Hollywood reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (67)fit for foodies (60)great for outdoor dining (60)great for lunch (27)hot spot (24)special occasion (18)good for groups (17)kid-friendly (12)vibrant bar scene (11)romantic (7)late-night find (7)great for brunch (7)notable wine list (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- West Hollywood OutpostMisterBDined on 9/16/2014Blue Plate Oysterette is sharing the wealth with West Hollywood. This Santa Monica stalwart has opened another version on West 3rd and it may be even better than the original. The layout and noise level sure are better. The menu is similar if not exactly the same. Try it. You will like it.Special Features:
- A Bit of Maine in WeHoDar650Dined on 9/12/2014This is like a cheaper version of Connie & Ted's. I liked it very much. I had the lobster roll, and it was great. The portions will definitely not overwhelm you. I'd say they were were dainty in fact, but to be honest, it's exactly the amount I should be eating, vs what I want to eat! The waitstaff was attentive. We had 1/2 doz oysters raw and the other 1/2 grilled. Both were great. Will return.Special Features:
- First ImpressionTrojan1911Dined on 9/10/2014It was our 1st visit & we thoroughly enjoyed!!! My girl & I loved thee lobster tacos, lobster Mac & cheese & grilled oysters!!! The key lime pie for dessert is the bizness!!! We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you're dying for seafood...GEDLADined on 9/4/2014If you're dying for seafood and you live in the neighborhood, it's a lot easier to get to this place than other places. Way high prices for what you get. Lobster roll was the best. Oysters were just ok. Fried fish was mediocre with low-end crust.
- Great neighborhood seafood spotLehmanFavoritesVIPDined on 9/2/2014Blue Plate Oysterette is a cozy, charming neighborhood gem of a restaurant/cafe featuring some very well prepared and tasty seafood. The oysters were spot on perfect, the steamers delicious and the lobster rolls far and away some of the best I've even tasted. It's informal atmosphere makes for a great evening out when you don't feel like dressing up yet still want some really good seafood.Special Features:
- Yum, yum and yum!!!kwillliDined on 9/1/2014A fabulous seafood spot in the neighborhood that serves a fantastic lobster roll, the most delicious branzino and a ridiculously delicious key lime pie. I highly recommend that you get here now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/31/2014Raw seafood. Always fresh. Fun and casual. Really good glass wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!AllIn81Dined on 8/30/2014So glad blue plate decided to take their operation east! The Santa Monica BP oysterette has long been a favorite lunch spot, and now I don't have to travel to the ocean to get my fix. Fresh oysters, fresh fish, a great ambiance and a casual, festive east coast fish shack feel. And that lobster roll! We can also have the option to eat healthy or be a little more indulgent here, which is great. And reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- (Arti)Choking HazardLinguiniDined on 8/30/2014Blue plate is one of my favorite restaurants in LA. I love the food, decor, ambience, style, and so much more. My only issue is, and it's a major major issue, that the chefs don't remove the choke from the artichoke heart. It becomes messy for the person enjoying the dish and it's honestly a choking hazard. I could only imagine what would happen if someone didn't know that you aren't supposed to eat the choke. I really dig the food but c'mon guys. Don't be lazy and don't wait for someone to choke. Otherwise, stay awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NICE BUT NOISYMrljbVIPDined on 8/28/2014HAPPY TO HAVE IN NEIGHBORHOOD. FOOD AND SERVICE ARE GREAT. THE MAJOR PROBLEM IS THE NOISE LEVEL. REALLY HURTS THE EARS AND WILL TAKE AWAY RETURNING CUSTOMER. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONESpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceGillianVIPDined on 8/27/2014Everything we had from the mussels to bouillabaisse to key lime pie was to die for !Special Features:
- NoisyLAdinerDined on 8/26/2014Don't waste your time or money. Could not enjoy our meal or company due to the excessive noise. Very stressful experience. Food was average, waitress was A+. That was our first and last visit.
- Still working out the kinksOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/25/2014The restaurant just opened it's new Hollywood location a month or so ago and you can tell they have not worked out all the kinks yet. Food took a long time to come and the lobster (we ordered the Maine lobster and lobster rolls) needed seasoning. However, the wait staff is very friendly and gracious and the chef did send out a Cevechi appetizer on the house to compensate for the tardiness of the meal (which by the way tasted on point). I think they will eventually get everything worked out and it will be just as good as the restaurant in Santa Monica. I am rooting for them as the service is very good.Special Features:
- JaneVIPDined on 8/24/2014I love lobster rolls and this one is weak at best. I do not think it is Maine lobster and for $24 it is very small. I wanted to love it and I would have gone often but other than being a cute place it is not worth the price.Special Features:
- Slammed by the ClamsPRIFoodieVIPDined on 8/24/2014I really loved everything I had (ceviche, steamers, Cobb Salad, Lobster Roll, Grilled Opah, and especially Key lime pie) I galdly put up with the noise level. Deafening. My only gripe was that they charged $28 for the steamed clams. The portion size was quite small, only 15 or so clams. Really a ripoff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experiencePaulADined on 8/21/2014Not an intimate, romantic spot but it is great fun for a bustling LA location. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- MerelVIPDined on 8/17/2014I loved the experience and the food was amazing. We had everything from Fried Ipswich clams to fresh oysters with two mignonette sauces to lobster rolls (one hot with drawn butter, one dressed with mayo). The manager, Mija, became our server and made the entire lunch that much more enjoyable! We brought our own wine too and we ended up with a 3-hour lunch!Special Features:
- GreatChad32Dined on 8/16/2014Everything was great. Can't wait to go back. The steamers were unbelievable and the lobster roll was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit too muchmarkdmarcVIPDined on 8/15/2014Too loud, too busy...it was ok...Food was fine...nothing extraordinary. Overall, a disappointment. I might come back again...but it's not Connie and Ted's.Special Features:
- Not a great experienceBarryVIPDined on 8/13/2014The food was OK, nothing to write home about and it is pricey, regardless of what other reviewers said. $40 for their Crab Leg "special" dinner, which was only 4 or 5 legs and some corn. Cute but crowded outdoor patio. Inside, the tables are jammed together and it is so noisy that you have to literally shout across the table, and constantly lean forward to hear you dining partner. Too many tables and the acoustics make it unbearable. Oysters were nothing great either. Small selection, which is surprising since it is the name of the place! If you want seafood, there is much better food and better ambiance in the neighborhood.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/12/2014We each had the raw sampler which includes raw squid but we didn't want that and they were more than happy to sub more oysters for that-very fresh and really good. We shared the crab cake (really great) and the lobster (also very good). The menu said that the french fries were Yukon Golds but I don't think so. They were really good anyway. The serve Fosselman's Ice Cream and the coconut sorbet was terrific. I will be back for sure.Special Features:
- MediocreboyonfilmVIPDined on 8/11/2014Liked my first time there decently. 2nd time was bad. Waiter brought our entrees about 2 minutes after delivering appetizers. Clam chowder was meh. Bronzino was greasy and overcooked. Service was so rushed it was a joke. They kept trying to remove plates before we were finished. It's an awful feeling to have to hold on to your plate protectively. Won't be returning.
- delicious to the last bite.ohmybuddhaDined on 8/10/2014was delighted to be able to bring the dog on the patio for brunch. the oysters are amazing. we ordered 4 different kinds but fell in love with the rappahannocks from VA. the lobster mac & cheese you have to get for the table to share. everything was delicious - from the clam chowder & steamed mussles to the seared ahi tacos & the fish & chips (the chips - omg) the fried oyster banh mi was ridiculous too. we washed it all down w/some cold sake & craft beers. so grateful to have this restaurant in our hood. service is fantastic. everyone is so nice & sweet. parking in that area can be a bit of a drag but there is a $5 lot across the street unless you score a spot at the meters.Special Features:
- A must go to for the neighborhoodParisianinthevalleyVIPDined on 8/6/2014We went to Blue Plate Oysterette-it just opened near the intersection of Third St. and Crescent Heights. It is a sister to the BP in Santa Monica. I knew things were going well - we received a really welcoming & warm hello from the hostess Summer. We got a lovely table/banquette and of course got oysters- an assortment of 4 kinds, 3 each. All very good, espc. loved the Coromando from NZ & the Mermaid from the East Coast. We then had a delicious freshly steamed (not grilled for a change) Artichoke. Our last dish was the corn meal crusted calamari- great too. It come with traditional spicy marinara sauce as well as a Peruvian cerviche style side dip. We also ordered the great fresh potato chips.The staff is so friendly and happy-we are 2Special Features:
- Food Good, Noise Level Not GoodQueenHummingbird1Dined on 8/6/2014The food was delicious and the prices are reasonable. My husband and I had lobster roll and fish and chips. When we arrived at 6:30 pm the restaurant was half filled so the noise level was normal, but twenty minutes later every seat was taken and the noise level shot up and became unbearable. There were people standing next to tables and talking to friends. The tables are practically on top of each other, just inches apart. To converse, my husband and I had to shout across the small table. Upon leaving, I told the reservations desk that although we enjoyed the food we wouldn't return because of the noise level. They said they are aware of the problem and they are trying to do something about it.Special Features:
- Love the fresh seafood and lobsterJkeiselDined on 8/4/2014Lobster rolls are the best. The warm ones with the melted butter and old bay seasoned fries!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great great!TomasVIPDined on 8/4/2014Kathy the Manager was amazing! She made it a point to come and say hello and checked on us several times. They are all very friendly and the food was excellent of course.Special Features:
- Local OutpostOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/3/2014So happy to have BPO here in Hwood now! Only tell your good friends about our local seafood "shack"!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unprofessional,Mediocre,OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014Oysters: For a place that calls itself an "Oysterette," they fail pretty miserably at any knowledge of or skill with the shellfish. Hint: don't leave pieces of shell in EVERY SINGLE OYSTER. Service: When it takes 30 minutes for the waitress to tell me that your kitchen can't get their act together and prepare the dish to their liking, offer me a substitute, and have your manager apologize profusely. We were given none of those courtesies, served a bland, poorly executed "fried" seafood platter substitute, and no staff person ever bothered to see if that replacement dish was up to our standards (spoiler alert: it wasn't). Price: If you like throwing money away at bad service and mediocre food, this place is for you.
- Welcome to the neighborhoodQuemVIPDined on 7/31/2014Actually our 2nd visit. Great crab cakes & lobster mac & cheese...I ordered and received the lobster mac & cheese the first visit, ordered but received only mac & cheese 2nd visit. Plain mac & cheese is just OK...lobster mac & cheese outta this world awesome so I was disappointed. Must go early because it fills up and get packed in like sardines and quite loud...wish this restaurant took the old AOC space and had more room!Special Features:
- YippeSurfDoctaDined on 7/31/2014So glad that they came east of the 405, been going to SM location for years. Excellent food, excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- ImhungryDined on 7/28/2014Fun place, solid food-ceviche great, Banh mi meh- great for a drink w friends after work- but super loud inside-attentive prompt service-I can walk there from home, so I'll be back-if u want to hear the conversation sit outsideSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd St. TrendyDeenDeenVIPDined on 7/27/2014Service was good. Place was so loud you had to shout at one another during dinner. Chowder was a little thin and a little spicy which should be noted. Portion size on calamari was very small, but entrees were a nice size. The fish was done perfectly, but the sides were a disappointment. Cole slaw tasted like pure curry. Was not good at all. Salad was very basic but fine. Caesar was very lemony. Cobb Salad was decent but bacon was overly salty. I would go back in a couple of months when they have worked out some of their kinks. I have heard great things about the lobster roll and look forward to trying it. Dinner was about $150 for 4 with no drinks. Would have been well over $200 if we ordered just one drink each.Special Features:
- my new favorite place!MartyDined on 7/24/2014great food, great service, great location - what more can i say?!Special Features:
- Back East FoodiesYummyVIPDined on 7/22/2014Great east coast seafood, lonster roll was outstanding. Branzino was the best I have had. There is also the giant hot dog for meat lovers.Special Features:
- It was goodGaniousDined on 7/19/2014Sat at the bar. Saturday nite. Skipped waiting for out table although hostess gave us options. Had crab cake AWESOME. Actually crab and not too much batter or oil. Had Fish and chips. REALLY GOOD. Batter wasn't greasy. Had Ahi sandwich. REALLY GOOD for a plain ol' sandwich. Ha the HOUSE BEER. A brood, darker than Corona lager. Staff was attentive and courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters are GREATFood4LoveDined on 7/18/2014Highly recommend for all seafood lovers! GREAT oysters!!Special Features:
- LOVED !pearfectVIPDined on 7/18/2014So glad this westside establishment has moved to this side of town. The food is so fresh and lovely, the outdoor seating is the best, and the resturaunt itself is beautiful. Obsessed with the Gray Malin wallpaper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loveslaloveslaVIPDined on 7/17/2014My first time at this restaurant was a disappointment. Although the greeters in the front were super nice, and the girl who waited on us was nice, she drove us crazy. She wanted us to order as soon as we sat down then rushed us through the meal. We were so happy to get out of there because of her and the noise level. It actually might have been quieter outside on Third Street! The food was a disappointment. I had fish and chips: The fish had no taste whatsoever, and the fries weren't as good as they looked. My friend had Branzino, which was tasty but so small it wasn't worth the price. I probably won't go back.
- Loved the bathroom (Trust me!)ShanRadDined on 7/17/2014The decor from the bathrooms to the full restaurant were amazing. Great food, wine and energy from all the buzzing people were also awesome. Try the tuna sandwich and the garlic spinach. And the coconut sorbet is unreal!!Special Features: