Blue Plate Oysterette - Hollywood
8048 W. 3rd Street
Los Angeles, CA 90048Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Blue Plate Oysterette - Hollywood
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.blueplatesantamonica.com/
- Phone: 3236565474x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday from 12:00 pm to 11:00 pm. Sunday from 12:00 pm to 10 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Bice
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from Blue Plate Oysterette - Hollywood
Seafood, Raw Bar and other American favorites.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blue Plate Oysterette - Hollywood reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (100)fit for foodies (88)great for outdoor dining (84)great for lunch (43)hot spot (41)good for groups (29)special occasion (24)vibrant bar scene (20)kid-friendly (17)notable wine list (9)great for brunch (9)romantic (8)late-night find (8)scenic view (1)Show More
- ErnestoDined on 10/21/2014Service was excellent..Food was very good..selection of oysters and seafood was very good..I would certainly go again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014Amazing food, super friendly staff (especially for the LA Area) Even my husband, who's not that much into seafood, loved the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No fuss fresh fishKnowsathingor2VIPDined on 10/18/2014This is the place when you want fresh fish, great oysters and a glass of wine or beer to go with it. It the closest example of an American brasserie that exists in this town. Everything is fresh and well made and the key lime pie is so wonderful that I will be sure NOT to order it again ;-)Special Features:
- DELICIOUSBlauVIPDined on 10/17/2014Another great food night at BLUE PLATE OYSTERETTE. Try the Oysters Rockefeller!Special Features:
- $3/ oyster?kt44didDined on 10/16/2014The main entree we ordered were delicious: roasted branzino, fried oyster banh mi and lobster roll - but I am still in shock that a place with the word oyster in their name doesn't have better oyster deals. We ordered two kumamotos and 1 fannie bay oyster, and the kumamotos were minuscule, so I was shocked that they were $3.
- DisappointingScottVIPDined on 10/15/2014we eaten here 4 times and this will be our last. The soup was served Luke warm and the entree salad was nothing to speak of. In fact home cooking is much better then what the chef serves here. The fish was tasteless and the side dishes boring. Service was good and is always friendly to bad the food is not very good
- Fabulous restaurant and delicious!RanalanDined on 10/12/2014We loved Blue Plate Oysterette-Hollywood!! Five stars all the way! Staff very friendly and ambience perfect! A little hidden gem of a restaurant in the neighborhood! Lots of great food items to choose from! We opted for lobster Mac and cheese and the shrimp Cobb salad and both delicious! Many incredible desserts there and they have a baker on the premises! We were recommended the key lime pie and it was so so delicious! I can't wait to come back and try many of the other items on the menu! Thanks Blue Plate for coming into our neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another 3rd Street Hot SpotQuemVIPDined on 10/7/2014love that I can walk over. go early because it gets quite loud inside, very bad acoustics. however, the food is sooo yummy that you can suffer thru all the noise. lobster taco...best taco you will EVER eat...enuff said!Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD, SERVICE... NOT SO GOODBlauVIPDined on 10/4/2014Love Blue Plate Oysterette -- let's make that clear up front. The food is fantastic and I have always had great service... until last time. We had a waitress who was much more interested in talking to a party of three than making sure we were taken care of. I actually had to interrupt her conversation just to get my check -- which wasn't good for the restaurant because we decided it had taken too long to order dessert, so we skipped it so we could get out of there.Special Features:
- GREAT RESTAURANTBlauVIPDined on 9/26/2014Moved back to L.A. from Santa Monica almost 2 years ago. When in Santa Monica we could never get near the Blue Plate Oysterette, and they didn't take reservations (they didn't have to!). Imagine my delight when I turned the corner on 3rd and THERE WAS A NEW BLUE PLATE OYSTERETTE in my neighborhood and THEY TAKE RESERVATIONS. Sat down the first night and gorged. EVERYTHING WAS GREAT! Fresh oysters are phenomenal, the grilled oysters are from another dimension (incredibly good), the bouillabaisse is out of this world, and the mussels come two ways, with curry or a white wine and butter. They are both incredible, but I give the curry mussels one extra point. Go, eat, feel great.Special Features:
- West Hollywood OutpostMisterBDined on 9/16/2014Blue Plate Oysterette is sharing the wealth with West Hollywood. This Santa Monica stalwart has opened another version on West 3rd and it may be even better than the original. The layout and noise level sure are better. The menu is similar if not exactly the same. Try it. You will like it.Special Features:
- A Bit of Maine in WeHoDar650Dined on 9/12/2014This is like a cheaper version of Connie & Ted's. I liked it very much. I had the lobster roll, and it was great. The portions will definitely not overwhelm you. I'd say they were were dainty in fact, but to be honest, it's exactly the amount I should be eating, vs what I want to eat! The waitstaff was attentive. We had 1/2 doz oysters raw and the other 1/2 grilled. Both were great. Will return.Special Features:
- First ImpressionTrojan1911Dined on 9/10/2014It was our 1st visit & we thoroughly enjoyed!!! My girl & I loved thee lobster tacos, lobster Mac & cheese & grilled oysters!!! The key lime pie for dessert is the bizness!!! We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you're dying for seafood...GEDLADined on 9/4/2014If you're dying for seafood and you live in the neighborhood, it's a lot easier to get to this place than other places. Way high prices for what you get. Lobster roll was the best. Oysters were just ok. Fried fish was mediocre with low-end crust.
- Great neighborhood seafood spotLehmanFavoritesVIPDined on 9/2/2014Blue Plate Oysterette is a cozy, charming neighborhood gem of a restaurant/cafe featuring some very well prepared and tasty seafood. The oysters were spot on perfect, the steamers delicious and the lobster rolls far and away some of the best I've even tasted. It's informal atmosphere makes for a great evening out when you don't feel like dressing up yet still want some really good seafood.Special Features:
- Yum, yum and yum!!!kwillliDined on 9/1/2014A fabulous seafood spot in the neighborhood that serves a fantastic lobster roll, the most delicious branzino and a ridiculously delicious key lime pie. I highly recommend that you get here now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/31/2014Raw seafood. Always fresh. Fun and casual. Really good glass wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!AllIn81Dined on 8/30/2014So glad blue plate decided to take their operation east! The Santa Monica BP oysterette has long been a favorite lunch spot, and now I don't have to travel to the ocean to get my fix. Fresh oysters, fresh fish, a great ambiance and a casual, festive east coast fish shack feel. And that lobster roll! We can also have the option to eat healthy or be a little more indulgent here, which is great. And reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- (Arti)Choking HazardLinguiniDined on 8/30/2014Blue plate is one of my favorite restaurants in LA. I love the food, decor, ambience, style, and so much more. My only issue is, and it's a major major issue, that the chefs don't remove the choke from the artichoke heart. It becomes messy for the person enjoying the dish and it's honestly a choking hazard. I could only imagine what would happen if someone didn't know that you aren't supposed to eat the choke. I really dig the food but c'mon guys. Don't be lazy and don't wait for someone to choke. Otherwise, stay awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NICE BUT NOISYMrljbVIPDined on 8/28/2014HAPPY TO HAVE IN NEIGHBORHOOD. FOOD AND SERVICE ARE GREAT. THE MAJOR PROBLEM IS THE NOISE LEVEL. REALLY HURTS THE EARS AND WILL TAKE AWAY RETURNING CUSTOMER. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONESpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceGillianVIPDined on 8/27/2014Everything we had from the mussels to bouillabaisse to key lime pie was to die for !Special Features:
- NoisyLAdinerDined on 8/26/2014Don't waste your time or money. Could not enjoy our meal or company due to the excessive noise. Very stressful experience. Food was average, waitress was A+. That was our first and last visit.
- Still working out the kinksOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/25/2014The restaurant just opened it's new Hollywood location a month or so ago and you can tell they have not worked out all the kinks yet. Food took a long time to come and the lobster (we ordered the Maine lobster and lobster rolls) needed seasoning. However, the wait staff is very friendly and gracious and the chef did send out a Cevechi appetizer on the house to compensate for the tardiness of the meal (which by the way tasted on point). I think they will eventually get everything worked out and it will be just as good as the restaurant in Santa Monica. I am rooting for them as the service is very good.Special Features:
- JaneVIPDined on 8/24/2014I love lobster rolls and this one is weak at best. I do not think it is Maine lobster and for $24 it is very small. I wanted to love it and I would have gone often but other than being a cute place it is not worth the price.Special Features:
- Slammed by the ClamsPRIFoodieVIPDined on 8/24/2014I really loved everything I had (ceviche, steamers, Cobb Salad, Lobster Roll, Grilled Opah, and especially Key lime pie) I galdly put up with the noise level. Deafening. My only gripe was that they charged $28 for the steamed clams. The portion size was quite small, only 15 or so clams. Really a ripoff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experiencePaulADined on 8/21/2014Not an intimate, romantic spot but it is great fun for a bustling LA location. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- MerelVIPDined on 8/17/2014I loved the experience and the food was amazing. We had everything from Fried Ipswich clams to fresh oysters with two mignonette sauces to lobster rolls (one hot with drawn butter, one dressed with mayo). The manager, Mija, became our server and made the entire lunch that much more enjoyable! We brought our own wine too and we ended up with a 3-hour lunch!Special Features:
- GreatChad32Dined on 8/16/2014Everything was great. Can't wait to go back. The steamers were unbelievable and the lobster roll was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit too muchmarkdmarcVIPDined on 8/15/2014Too loud, too busy...it was ok...Food was fine...nothing extraordinary. Overall, a disappointment. I might come back again...but it's not Connie and Ted's.Special Features:
- Not a great experienceBarryVIPDined on 8/13/2014The food was OK, nothing to write home about and it is pricey, regardless of what other reviewers said. $40 for their Crab Leg "special" dinner, which was only 4 or 5 legs and some corn. Cute but crowded outdoor patio. Inside, the tables are jammed together and it is so noisy that you have to literally shout across the table, and constantly lean forward to hear you dining partner. Too many tables and the acoustics make it unbearable. Oysters were nothing great either. Small selection, which is surprising since it is the name of the place! If you want seafood, there is much better food and better ambiance in the neighborhood.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/12/2014We each had the raw sampler which includes raw squid but we didn't want that and they were more than happy to sub more oysters for that-very fresh and really good. We shared the crab cake (really great) and the lobster (also very good). The menu said that the french fries were Yukon Golds but I don't think so. They were really good anyway. The serve Fosselman's Ice Cream and the coconut sorbet was terrific. I will be back for sure.Special Features:
- MediocreboyonfilmVIPDined on 8/11/2014Liked my first time there decently. 2nd time was bad. Waiter brought our entrees about 2 minutes after delivering appetizers. Clam chowder was meh. Bronzino was greasy and overcooked. Service was so rushed it was a joke. They kept trying to remove plates before we were finished. It's an awful feeling to have to hold on to your plate protectively. Won't be returning.
- delicious to the last bite.ohmybuddhaDined on 8/10/2014was delighted to be able to bring the dog on the patio for brunch. the oysters are amazing. we ordered 4 different kinds but fell in love with the rappahannocks from VA. the lobster mac & cheese you have to get for the table to share. everything was delicious - from the clam chowder & steamed mussles to the seared ahi tacos & the fish & chips (the chips - omg) the fried oyster banh mi was ridiculous too. we washed it all down w/some cold sake & craft beers. so grateful to have this restaurant in our hood. service is fantastic. everyone is so nice & sweet. parking in that area can be a bit of a drag but there is a $5 lot across the street unless you score a spot at the meters.Special Features:
- Food Good, Noise Level Not GoodQueenHummingbird1Dined on 8/6/2014The food was delicious and the prices are reasonable. My husband and I had lobster roll and fish and chips. When we arrived at 6:30 pm the restaurant was half filled so the noise level was normal, but twenty minutes later every seat was taken and the noise level shot up and became unbearable. There were people standing next to tables and talking to friends. The tables are practically on top of each other, just inches apart. To converse, my husband and I had to shout across the small table. Upon leaving, I told the reservations desk that although we enjoyed the food we wouldn't return because of the noise level. They said they are aware of the problem and they are trying to do something about it.Special Features:
- Love the fresh seafood and lobsterJkeiselDined on 8/4/2014Lobster rolls are the best. The warm ones with the melted butter and old bay seasoned fries!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great great!TomasVIPDined on 8/4/2014Kathy the Manager was amazing! She made it a point to come and say hello and checked on us several times. They are all very friendly and the food was excellent of course.Special Features:
- Local OutpostYumsterVIPDined on 8/3/2014So happy to have BPO here in Hwood now! Only tell your good friends about our local seafood "shack"!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unprofessional,Mediocre,OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014Oysters: For a place that calls itself an "Oysterette," they fail pretty miserably at any knowledge of or skill with the shellfish. Hint: don't leave pieces of shell in EVERY SINGLE OYSTER. Service: When it takes 30 minutes for the waitress to tell me that your kitchen can't get their act together and prepare the dish to their liking, offer me a substitute, and have your manager apologize profusely. We were given none of those courtesies, served a bland, poorly executed "fried" seafood platter substitute, and no staff person ever bothered to see if that replacement dish was up to our standards (spoiler alert: it wasn't). Price: If you like throwing money away at bad service and mediocre food, this place is for you.
- Welcome to the neighborhoodQuemVIPDined on 7/31/2014Actually our 2nd visit. Great crab cakes & lobster mac & cheese...I ordered and received the lobster mac & cheese the first visit, ordered but received only mac & cheese 2nd visit. Plain mac & cheese is just OK...lobster mac & cheese outta this world awesome so I was disappointed. Must go early because it fills up and get packed in like sardines and quite loud...wish this restaurant took the old AOC space and had more room!Special Features:
- YippeSurfDoctaDined on 7/31/2014So glad that they came east of the 405, been going to SM location for years. Excellent food, excellent serviceSpecial Features: