Blue Plate Diner
10145 - 104 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 0Z9Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
Blue Plate Diner
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.blueplatediner.ca/
- Phone: 7804290740x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday: 9:00am - 1:00pm, Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Saturday: 1:00pm - 5:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Duane Hicks
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our open-floor concept makes it easy for your large group to enjoy the wonderful atmosphere of the Blue Plate.
- Private Party Contact: John Williams 8889241390
A word from Blue Plate Diner
Located in the heart of the Warehouse District in downtown Edmonton, the Blue Plate Diner is open for lunch, dinner and also for brunch on weekends. We only serve real food made by real people.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Blue Plate Diner - Best Restaurants in Edmonton ›
Blue Plate Diner reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (65)great for lunch (65)fit for foodies (46)good for groups (28)great for brunch (21)great for outdoor dining (18)hot spot (18)romantic (16)kid-friendly (13)special occasion (13)late-night find (8)scenic view (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great Lunch placeLivinganAdventureDined on 10/17/2014I took a small group of my staff out for lunch and we were all pleasantly surprised with the food. The portions were large (almost too large, but too good to be left behind!) and the price point pretty reasonable. Service was friendly and quick. We will probably go back.Special Features:
- Home Cookin' Plus!DocHawkDined on 10/15/2014I said to my dinner companion that I was amazed at the combination of really good solid home cooking on the one hand, and excellent chef skills on the other. One expects that an excellent chef would dedicate him- or herself to a menu more typical of a fancy restaurant with a fancy menu. But for a skilled and imaginative chef to dedicate him- or herself to selections like meat loaf, and macaroni and cheese, and shephard's pie, etc., is very welcome and much appreciated. The Blue Plate food is excellent, reasonably priced, and reminiscent of at-home meals, but far exceeds at-home meals due to chefs' imagination, inventiveness, risk-taking, and great skill with ingredients, seasonings, and plate presentation. We loved it, and will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosphere with Great TasteCmewinDined on 10/15/2014Went there for lunch for the first time. The waitress was very attentive, and our food was excellent. We had the Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon, which was just the right size, and as good or better then you can make for yourself at home; very creamy. very well spaced out and well decorated and eclectic inside. Was a little noisy, but it was lunch rush downtown. There are a lot of choices on the menu. Will definitely stop by for dinner sometime as well.Special Features:
- FoodfrogDined on 10/14/2014Excellent place for a team lunch, variety and great veggie alternatives, for non-meat lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun atmosphere and good food.GwildemanDined on 10/9/2014Came here for lunch on a Thursday. Really busy place. You'll need a reservation. Food was fast and good. Going rate for cost. Fun atmosphere. Sure I'd eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time diner at the Blue Plate1diningdivaDined on 10/9/2014I had reserved lunch for three. That was my first time there. I was impressed immediately with the ambiance and the smiling faces of the staff. Felt really welcomed. Menu is selective and the food we ordered was great! Great place for anyone in the vicinity that wants to try kind of a funky place. We sat at a table that came from the 50's and I know this because we had one just like it at the farm in our kitchen back in the 50s. Definitely worth trying. Prices are reasonable as well.Special Features:
- AuntiemimmiDined on 10/7/2014Service, food and ambience was great. It was a bit noisy.Special Features:
- very tastydeedsDined on 9/30/2014We both loved our meals . very mouthful was delicious . Will come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch - Sept. 30DLandRLDined on 9/30/2014Lunch for a party of four - good lunch menu selection, excellent service, tasty and nicely presented food. Have been to the Blue Plate Diner many times - have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Lots of Vegetarian OptionsYEGfoodieVIPDined on 9/26/2014The Blue Plate is a staple for us before evening events. The atmosphere is eclectic, and the food service is usually very speedy. There are lots of vegetarian options on the menu and the prices are good for the amount of food on the plates. We like that they stock local beers and their wine list (though small) is mostly from DeVine Wines so there are always decent bottles available.Special Features:
- Tried something differentReviewManVIPDined on 9/24/2014I tried the mac 'n cheese rolls and they were better than I expected. I followed it with shepherd's pie which was okay. The IPA was nice, and the mojito was below average.Special Features:
- ok food with expensive price tagOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/23/2014If you were looking for a list of gourmet food, this place will never wow you. Their food is sub par. They overcook meat... Fried rice special for 16 that is not any better than what you can get from Chinatown for less than 10.. Hum.. But due to the proximity to my work, we sometimes chose this location for our occasional lunch. They are lucky that they are on 104st.Special Features:
- Interesting but the food was poorwhitestarDined on 9/19/2014This was our first visit. We were seated promptly and we really enjoyed the decor. We were surprised at how noisy the restaurant was and we had difficulty hearing each other. I would probably return when in a more festive modd - as we didn't know what to expect. Our food, considering the price, was not very good. My pork chop was overcooked and dry. My husband felt his food was just adequate. We believe in second chances, so we will probably give it a second go someday. Hopefully the food will be much better.
- Excellent, try the bison burgerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I only wish I had read the menu more carefully and realized they put mustard on the burgers by default. :-(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerntbarclayVIPDined on 9/13/2014Went here for our anniversary and we were not disappointed. I had the special (Lasagna Blanca) and my husband had the Meatloaf and we were both very happy with our choices. Service was prompt and our waitress and the servers were friendly. I did see that the drinks had 2oz, but even knowing that, they were STRONG. The only improvement I could suggest would be to change to a hi-ball glass so that they aren't so potent. It was more like drinking a diluted shot. :-) Overall experience was wonderful though and we will most definitely be back.Special Features:
- Very good!frequentdinerDined on 9/6/2014Love the feel of this restaurant. Our meals were massive and delicious. Our server was distracted and a bit all-over-the-place which detracted from the experience a bit. Overall, it was a very good experience and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvveganDined on 9/4/2014I follow a plant based 'diet' so appreciate that there are a couple of items on your menu that work for me. Also, the service was great. I find the noise level is a little high for me at times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014This place was good, their menu was different then the one online, and there was no one else in the resturant so it was very quiet. Some place I would go if there was nothing else really availableSpecial Features:
- OutboundDined on 8/30/2014Excellent food. While not an extensive menu, there is enough variety and true uniqueness to please everyone. Our server, Richard (the mad squirrel) was on top of our needs despite the many patrons at the restaurant. We will be going back to try other dishes and the lunch period to have fun again.Special Features:
- Love this little placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Food is always very good, love the interior. Small but different beer list, same for the wine list. -:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy comfort foodhappydinerVIPDined on 8/24/2014Super friendly, helpful service! Knew the menu and was able to make great recommendations. Loved the casual retro atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice.FredDined on 8/23/2014This was my second visit. I had been for lunch before, this time for dinner. It was our first supper together and was quiet enogh that we could talk to each other easily, but noisy enough that we were not entertaining others! The food did not disappoint! We will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBanditkbDined on 8/21/2014Food is wonderful, shepards pie is to die for Very enjoyable lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always COming BAckPynchieDined on 8/15/2014The Blue Plate is one of our favourites. Whether it is for brunch or for dinner, it is a great place to take in any meal.Special Features:
- Not as good as I hopedFoodRaverDined on 8/15/2014This is our second time to The Blue Plate Diner. I really like the decor and the 'feel' of this restaurant. Unfortunately, both visits left me slightly disappointed. There are so any positive reviews and I really wanted to be one of them! We had dinner there this visit. I ordered the chicken and my husband ordered the pasta with chicken. His meal was very good but cold. My chicken was good, I really like the flavour of the BBQ sauce. I wish it was in a little side dish do you could dip your chicken in it. The roasted potatoes were obviously roasted quite a long time earlier so they were dry and shrunken. The veggies were crisp but cold. The pecan pie was good. Our server was friendly, sweet and made us smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kid FriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/13/2014Great local foods, fun ambiance, great to have a place downtown that's kid friendlySpecial Features:
- Lovely!PickyEaterDined on 8/12/2014I made a reservation super easy. The waitress was super nice, and did a great job. It was my first time on the patio, and it was excellent!! Blue Plate Diner never fails me <3Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Plate still a classicshowboyDined on 8/10/2014You can't really go wrong with Blue Plate's kitsch-cool decor and homey comfort food, set along 104 St's thriving dining and bar scene. Meatloaf, Mac n cheese, veggie burger, Shepherd's Pie, beet chocolate cake all winners. Good beer and wine list. Can be noisy inside, small outdoor front patio is awesome in summer, service is friendly but can be clumsy and slow. A fav among locals!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food at a fair priceroadtravelerDined on 8/1/2014This was a great find for a group of 8 for dinner. Service was quick and attentive and the food was good quality.Special Features:
- Good Fooddowntowner321Dined on 8/1/2014The food was good and the service was good. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Plate DinerAuntiemimmiDined on 7/31/2014Great service and great food, but far too noisy to carry a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noise!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014I like the food, price-point, location and quaitness of the Blue Plate, but I don't go often because I don't like having to yell into my friends face if we want to converse. This place is just way too loud. Accoustics are horrid and they need some accoustical panels or something in there. Noise is the ONLY reason I don't go there regularly. I always feel tired when I leave because it's so much effort to talk and hear my companions :)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boring MenuThirstyForMoreVIPDined on 7/29/2014The Blue Plate's survival continues to confuse us... Every 4 months we cross the street to try it out (again), hoping the menu has improved. But no, it never does. The party in this old news joint is sadly over.
- gooddrewDined on 7/28/2014I liked it. A fun casual atmosphere. We had the seats inside by the open windows, a nice breeze and fresh down town edmonton airSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not going back!2fordinnerDined on 7/26/2014The good; beer was cold, grilled cornbread apoy was nice & hubby's steak cooked appropriately to request. The bad; our server seemed bothered we were in her section, salmon spring rolls interesting but not seasoned, mac & cheese inedible, elk/bison burger overcooked & dried out. No one cared enuf to ask how anything was, even tho lots left on plates, & not because portions were over generous.
- Fantastic fooddowntowner321Dined on 7/23/2014The food was fantastic and the service was good. I would definatley go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty!ddpdVIPDined on 7/16/2014Service was great. Glad it wasn't very busy, the acoustics are loud! Food was tasty enough, not amazing, but good.
- Date night dinnerWorriksDined on 7/14/2014When a meat eater and a vegan get married it's not easy finding a restaurant that meets both our needs. The Blue Plate dinner has great choices for both. I had a wonderful Apple Pork Chop and my sweetie had the vegan loaf. Top it off with a big slice of moist chocolate cake and it makes for a wonderful evening. Intimate seating with a bit eclectic ambiance adds to the fun. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Good food, watch for cleanlinessBreeDined on 7/8/2014The service was great, but my friend's glass had smears of lipstick stains when she received it from the waiter. This made me concerned about the restaurant's overall cleanliness.Special Features:
- Blue Plate NotRoybertDined on 7/6/2014Tried the Blue Plate Diner Sunday for supper with my sister. We started the evening with the Blue Plate Diners Strawberry Lemonade which we both found to be flat, tasteless and warm. I tried the grilled Corn bread which tasted like it was grilled on a bed of burnt onions. For the main courses, I had the Pork Chop with oven roasted potatoes and vegetables while my sister had the Mac and Cheese with a side order of chicken. The pork chop and roasted potatoes were over cooked and dry but it was hot. My Sisters Mac and Cheese was cold, oily and had a gritty texture and lacking any form of sauce. She did say that the grilled chicken was hot and had a good taste. To the restaurant's credit they did give us a discount on our bill.