Blue Plate Diner
10145 - 104 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 0Z9Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
Blue Plate Diner
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.blueplatediner.ca/
- Phone: 7804290740x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday: 9:00am - 1:00pm, Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Saturday: 1:00pm - 5:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Duane Hicks
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our open-floor concept makes it easy for your large group to enjoy the wonderful atmosphere of the Blue Plate.
- Private Party Contact: John Williams 8889241390
A word from Blue Plate Diner
Located in the heart of the Warehouse District in downtown Edmonton, the Blue Plate Diner is open for lunch, dinner and also for brunch on weekends. We only serve real food made by real people.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Blue Plate Diner - Best Restaurants in Edmonton ›
Blue Plate Diner reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (61)great for lunch (56)fit for foodies (38)great for brunch (24)good for groups (23)romantic (20)kid-friendly (16)hot spot (15)special occasion (14)great for outdoor dining (14)late-night find (10)scenic view (5)notable wine list (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Excellent, try the bison burgerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I only wish I had read the menu more carefully and realized they put mustard on the burgers by default. :-(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/13/2014Went here for our anniversary and we were not disappointed. I had the special (Lasagna Blanca) and my husband had the Meatloaf and we were both very happy with our choices. Service was prompt and our waitress and the servers were friendly. I did see that the drinks had 2oz, but even knowing that, they were STRONG. The only improvement I could suggest would be to change to a hi-ball glass so that they aren't so potent. It was more like drinking a diluted shot. :-) Overall experience was wonderful though and we will most definitely be back.Special Features:
- Very good!frequentdinerDined on 9/6/2014Love the feel of this restaurant. Our meals were massive and delicious. Our server was distracted and a bit all-over-the-place which detracted from the experience a bit. Overall, it was a very good experience and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvveganDined on 9/4/2014I follow a plant based 'diet' so appreciate that there are a couple of items on your menu that work for me. Also, the service was great. I find the noise level is a little high for me at times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutboundDined on 8/30/2014Excellent food. While not an extensive menu, there is enough variety and true uniqueness to please everyone. Our server, Richard (the mad squirrel) was on top of our needs despite the many patrons at the restaurant. We will be going back to try other dishes and the lunch period to have fun again.Special Features:
- Love this little placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Food is always very good, love the interior. Small but different beer list, same for the wine list. -:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy comfort foodhappydinerDined on 8/24/2014Super friendly, helpful service! Knew the menu and was able to make great recommendations. Loved the casual retro atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice.FredDined on 8/23/2014This was my second visit. I had been for lunch before, this time for dinner. It was our first supper together and was quiet enogh that we could talk to each other easily, but noisy enough that we were not entertaining others! The food did not disappoint! We will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBanditkbDined on 8/21/2014Food is wonderful, shepards pie is to die for Very enjoyable lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always COming BAckPynchieDined on 8/15/2014The Blue Plate is one of our favourites. Whether it is for brunch or for dinner, it is a great place to take in any meal.Special Features:
- Not as good as I hopedFoodRaverDined on 8/15/2014This is our second time to The Blue Plate Diner. I really like the decor and the 'feel' of this restaurant. Unfortunately, both visits left me slightly disappointed. There are so any positive reviews and I really wanted to be one of them! We had dinner there this visit. I ordered the chicken and my husband ordered the pasta with chicken. His meal was very good but cold. My chicken was good, I really like the flavour of the BBQ sauce. I wish it was in a little side dish do you could dip your chicken in it. The roasted potatoes were obviously roasted quite a long time earlier so they were dry and shrunken. The veggies were crisp but cold. The pecan pie was good. Our server was friendly, sweet and made us smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kid FriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/13/2014Great local foods, fun ambiance, great to have a place downtown that's kid friendlySpecial Features:
- Lovely!PickyEaterDined on 8/12/2014I made a reservation super easy. The waitress was super nice, and did a great job. It was my first time on the patio, and it was excellent!! Blue Plate Diner never fails me <3Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Plate still a classicshowboyDined on 8/10/2014You can't really go wrong with Blue Plate's kitsch-cool decor and homey comfort food, set along 104 St's thriving dining and bar scene. Meatloaf, Mac n cheese, veggie burger, Shepherd's Pie, beet chocolate cake all winners. Good beer and wine list. Can be noisy inside, small outdoor front patio is awesome in summer, service is friendly but can be clumsy and slow. A fav among locals!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food at a fair priceroadtravelerDined on 8/1/2014This was a great find for a group of 8 for dinner. Service was quick and attentive and the food was good quality.Special Features:
- Good Fooddowntowner321Dined on 8/1/2014The food was good and the service was good. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Plate DinerAuntiemimmiDined on 7/31/2014Great service and great food, but far too noisy to carry a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noise!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014I like the food, price-point, location and quaitness of the Blue Plate, but I don't go often because I don't like having to yell into my friends face if we want to converse. This place is just way too loud. Accoustics are horrid and they need some accoustical panels or something in there. Noise is the ONLY reason I don't go there regularly. I always feel tired when I leave because it's so much effort to talk and hear my companions :)I would recommend this to a friend.
- gooddrewDined on 7/28/2014I liked it. A fun casual atmosphere. We had the seats inside by the open windows, a nice breeze and fresh down town edmonton airSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not going back!2fordinnerDined on 7/26/2014The good; beer was cold, grilled cornbread apoy was nice & hubby's steak cooked appropriately to request. The bad; our server seemed bothered we were in her section, salmon spring rolls interesting but not seasoned, mac & cheese inedible, elk/bison burger overcooked & dried out. No one cared enuf to ask how anything was, even tho lots left on plates, & not because portions were over generous.
- Fantastic fooddowntowner321Dined on 7/23/2014The food was fantastic and the service was good. I would definatley go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty!ddpdVIPDined on 7/16/2014Service was great. Glad it wasn't very busy, the acoustics are loud! Food was tasty enough, not amazing, but good.
- Date night dinnerWorriksDined on 7/14/2014When a meat eater and a vegan get married it's not easy finding a restaurant that meets both our needs. The Blue Plate dinner has great choices for both. I had a wonderful Apple Pork Chop and my sweetie had the vegan loaf. Top it off with a big slice of moist chocolate cake and it makes for a wonderful evening. Intimate seating with a bit eclectic ambiance adds to the fun. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Good food, watch for cleanlinessBreeDined on 7/8/2014The service was great, but my friend's glass had smears of lipstick stains when she received it from the waiter. This made me concerned about the restaurant's overall cleanliness.Special Features:
- Blue Plate NotRoybertDined on 7/6/2014Tried the Blue Plate Diner Sunday for supper with my sister. We started the evening with the Blue Plate Diners Strawberry Lemonade which we both found to be flat, tasteless and warm. I tried the grilled Corn bread which tasted like it was grilled on a bed of burnt onions. For the main courses, I had the Pork Chop with oven roasted potatoes and vegetables while my sister had the Mac and Cheese with a side order of chicken. The pork chop and roasted potatoes were over cooked and dry but it was hot. My Sisters Mac and Cheese was cold, oily and had a gritty texture and lacking any form of sauce. She did say that the grilled chicken was hot and had a good taste. To the restaurant's credit they did give us a discount on our bill.
- Warp comics and blue plate dinersupermomDined on 7/5/2014I am officially super mom. Kids loved it. Mac and cheese killed it. Omg so good. Perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spotmustchrVIPDined on 7/5/2014Always good food and good prices. They offer healthy choices as well as sinful selections.Special Features:
- not going backOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/27/2014We have been to Blue Plate many times over the years, but sadly we will not go back. The food was burned, not tasty and over priced. The waitress was unfriendly and wore such strong perfume we couldn't enjoy our meal.
- VeganistaDined on 6/21/2014Greate for both vegans and meat eaters. Excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/20/2014The blue plate diner was not at all what I expected. The food was microwaved..super soggy fries and the food just looked limp and unappetizing. Even the salads looked pre made hours before and were wilted. Staff made excuses and were unapologetic and rude. Will definitely avoid at all costs.
- Fun, fun, funAuntiemimmiDined on 6/17/2014Blue Plate Diner provides exceptional service and quality food in a timely manner in a busy, bustling downtown core. The environment is noisy, but cozy; relaxed, but energetic; home-like, but rustic and fancy. All round a great experience.Special Features:
- Bacon Mac n Cheese Spring Rolls-YUPFishManDined on 6/11/2014Bacon Mac n Cheese Spring Rolls- Says it all. Those make me want to go back more than anything else. We went there right at lunch and it got a bit noisy. It was not a work day for us so we had a couple watermelon mojitos also. They were great but a bit pricey at $10 each but a wonderful way to start the afternoon. Waitress was very nice but I suggest not asking her about Justin Bieber. Her eyes rolling back and the look on her face made it seem to me that she had to answer that question too many times. Still I could not help myself and had to ask. Sweet potato fries could have been a bit more crispy but the steak was fantastic with the red onion jam.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014Good food, good service, awesome atmosphere, really small menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/6/2014Ok lunch. Not up to the expectations set by other reviews. Our server could wear more clothes... :-)
- Not worth the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2014Waitress was rude, no friendly smile at all, you don't feel welcome when siting down to look at the menu. Food was no better than eating at Humpty or Denny. Shepard pie had no taste, Pan seared glazed maple salmon, you can't even taste and maple on the salmon, it was just in the sauce at the bottom of the plate. All in all I would not come here again.
- Great!edmfoodieDined on 5/31/2014Had the "beer can chicken" which was very good, followed by the chocolate mouse made with coconut milk and tofu - also very good!Special Features:
- Good experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/30/2014The Blue Plate Diner was a good experience due to the ambience and service! The food was not up to par! We were there on a busy Friday evening and the energy in the diner was electric and fun. Our food was dry and underwelming! Too bad...........I'm not sure I could recommend the diner to a friend.Special Features:
- An Edmonton institutionMarkDined on 5/30/2014The Blue Plate has been serving locally sourced comfort food since I moved to Edmonton many years ago. It's got a reasonable menu with good quality items. Very vegetarian and vegan friendly, with high quality meats for the carnivores. It gets busy, especially at lunch and on weekend, so make sure to get a reservation or expect to wait. They also feature a rotating array of local art on the walls. Sometimes it's a miss, bit often they've got something interesting to see.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place to dine24dinnerDined on 5/29/2014Took my boyfriend to the Blue Plate Diner for a birthday (pre-show) dinner on a Thursday evening. The food was good, a decent number of dinner selections and service was decent. All in all we enjoyed our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Half price wine bottle Mondays!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/26/2014Great food at a really cool spot. Will be back and will reccomend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.