Blue On Highland
882 Highland Ave
Needham, MA 02494Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Blue On Highland
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://blueonhighland.com/
- Phone: 7814447001
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 11:30am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peter Tartsinis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Jazz Brunch on Sundays
A word from Blue On Highland
Blue on Highland is an upscale suburban restaurant serving modern American cuisine in a contemporary, elegant setting, located in Needham, MA, just outside of Boston.Blue on Highland is perfect for power lunching or socializing after work over dinner and drinks, celebrating special occasions, or simply enjoying fine wine and appetizers in their beautiful bar and lounge area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Blue On Highland - Best Restaurants in Needham ›
Blue On Highland reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (71)great for lunch (30)fit for foodies (28)special occasion (19)vibrant bar scene (18)good for groups (18)kid-friendly (15)great for brunch (12)hot spot (11)romantic (10)notable wine list (7)late-night find (7)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Hard to eatBornhungry2Dined on 9/9/2014My wife and I were celebrating an anniversary so we thought Blue would be a great choice - wrong. The drinks were good but expensive at $11 each. The calamari app was a bit tough and chewy, fair. The duck entree was good however my wife's seafood dish was hard to eat as it had some undercooked, rock hard little bits of what looked like green onion. When this was brought to the servers attention she just shrugged her shoulders and took the dish away! I would not return or recommend Blue. For $100 there are many better options.Special Features:
- Blue on HighlandFood4Dined on 9/6/2014We sat at a round table which was perfect for 6 diners. Our waitress was very friendly and efficient, tending to our needs without being asked. Every meal was perfectly cooked and served. The portions were ample which led us not to order dessert because we were so well fed by the meal. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice optionsSteveDined on 9/5/2014I have eaten here several times. Nice ambience, good location. The appetizer and main course selections are excellent. I usually sit at the bar, which has several large screens withing view, but not loud or obtrusive. One note, the bar height is actually a little high (I checked and it's the bar height, not the stool height) which makes it only a slightly uncomfortable height, but I managed. The bartenders were very nice, but after getting our drinks and specifically asking us if we were having dinner (yes, we were), they did not come back with menus or a setup for a very long time. When they finally set us up, the rest of the experience was very nice. We both had the haddock special and it was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice location Not nice foodsongwarriorDined on 8/31/2014We went to this place because of the good reviews. Our waiter was distracted. A large table next to us got all his attention. The food was bland and almost seemed re used. Would not recommend.
- Always a good mealCBS42Dined on 8/31/2014It's a little out of our way most nights, but we always look forward to eating here. The dishes are imaginative without being overly fancy (i.e.: I can understand everything on the menu!). The staff is friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Needham Wins With BLUE on HighlandCurdNerd351Dined on 8/28/2014The service provided by Alissa was top of the charts. The apps and entres were very very good. I'd skip dessert....the desserts were not up to the rest of their standardsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Meal at Blue On HighlandGpaxmanDined on 8/23/2014We were seated promptly. Our server was attentive and appeared very knowledgeable about the meals. The entrees were all good, the baked brie appetizer was particularly notable.Special Features:
- Better than previous visitsHeatherVIPDined on 8/20/2014I thought the food was better than it's been in the past. Such a great spot, it was a shame the food was so bland, but this time it had more flavor. Maybe a new chef?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/19/2014I like this place and it really is charming but sorry when I book a reservation at a 1000 point restaurant and don't get anything?!?! Really? The hostesses could not be more aloof and frankly bimbos, and not helpful or anything; they need proper staff moving forward. I will go back but no reservation.Special Features:
- MACNatickVIPDined on 8/10/2014Again, the food was very good. Anthony is always a great server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysMentahDined on 8/9/2014The food and service are always perfection at Blue on Highland. My husband and I dined there on Saturday, and it was surprisingly not crowded. We started with the Parmesan Fries as an appetizer - it comes with a white truffle and chive mayo - and also ketchup for simpler folk like myself. Delish. For dinner I had their special, which was Risotto with baby shrimp, peas and sun dried tomatoes. Heavenly. My husband had crab cakes for dinner, and said they were great. He ordered the chocolate bread pudding for dessert - I didn't try it, but he wasn't too impressed with it. He said it was overcooked. Other than that, perfection. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buisiness early dinnerBigfoodieDined on 8/5/2014Last minute reservation with client who needed a vegetarian option; very accommodating and excellent meal provided off menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most EnjoyablejmdeeDined on 8/2/2014My friends and I had a wonderful dinner at Blue on Highland. We each had a different meal and each of us took left overs home to enjoy later. The food was terrific and the service outstanding. A wonderful time was had by all.Special Features:
- great sweet potato string friessilkysmomDined on 8/1/2014Lunch was so pleasant and relaxing. Lovely dining room with table cloths. It was a perfect day so all the front windows we're folded back giving a nice out door feel. Course the street noise made it a little more vibrant than usual. I enjoyed the shrimp tacos for a second time. This time they came with fabulous string sweet potato fries. Wonderful. Note that the shrimp are the very small ones (Maine?), so don't expect the nice big cocktail size ones. The brownie ice cream Sunday was really good and plenty to share. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Great -JocanDined on 7/29/2014Love Blue for nights out with friends. It's centrally located for our group, love the atmosphere, has a nice menu and always wonderful service. Plus, they never try to rush us out, which is a bonus for us chatty ladies who don't get together as frequently as we would like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All DownhillOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/24/2014Blue was great, but the last time we were in, there was a fight over a chair at the bar, the bar tenders were lackdaisical and dismissive and the wait staff/support staff was hanging at the end of the bar on their cell phones. Very disapointed in how far this place has fallen.
- Nice place in Needhamdiner24Dined on 7/14/2014I would definitely recommend Blue on Highland and go back. The hostess was very nice,we were seated immediately as we had an early reservation. Nice young lady was our waitress, she took care of us without any fuss, very nice. The ambience is very nice with white tablecloths, our food was very good. I had crab cakes and my friends all got the salmon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/5/2014very busy as the night progressed and the food was wonderful we all finished completely with no problem and the service was friendly and efficient. we will all go again.Special Features:
- Replicate Boston without the driveBostonBeanDined on 7/2/2014Good food and wine list. Nice alternative to a drive into Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceMichaelWKDined on 7/1/2014Went here for a business lunch meeting. The food was delicious, and the server was on top of her game. Also fairly priced. Great experience, would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try another placePalateTesterVIPDined on 6/29/2014Dined on Sunday evening, 6/30 with four adults for a special occasion birthday dinner. The wait staff was polite, but a little too procedural, leaving you with the impression, that they treated you exactly the same as the last 50 tables they served. The dining room was one large monochromatic yellow room, lacking character, separate dining spaces or niches; and was bland and uninspiring. Then there was the food. Two of us were ill for 24 hours after enjoying the calamari, steak was mealy and the frites were soggy and absorbed all the oil they were cooked in. The sirloin salad was awful and my guests were quiet about their meals, being very polite. I would not be returning.
- Staff didn't fit ambianceDinerDined on 6/26/2014This is an absolutely Beautiful restaurant, great space, decor & atmosphere. Unfortunately the staff hindered or experience between the server who didn't have any answers to or questions & didn't clear a dish from any of our courses until the end of the meal, the manager on his cell phone at the front door, the busses leaving buckets of dirty dishes near us....just bizarre considering how great of a space this is. We were also celebrating a special occasion (notes on our res) & no one so muh as mentioned it. Again, just a buzzard experience.
- Good for lunchMarkDined on 6/26/2014We went here for a business lunch. The food was good and our server was very attentive. Thank you.Special Features:
- mixed reviewemilyDined on 6/19/2014First, the food is very good and nice menu. Our server was lovely, a bit forgetful, but lovely. The evening we went was very warm so they had the front portion of the restaurant "open dining". Although in theory it is nice to be outside, in fact HIghland Ave is a VERY busy street and there were several times Emergency vehicles went by with sirens on....not really all that nice a view or sound. The concept is appealing but it really does not add to the dining experience. Our meals were quite delicious and we will definitely be going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best bistrogtgrammy5Dined on 6/19/2014Blue on Highland is a suburban gem. The food is consistently excellent & the service is as well. Great beer & wine menu. The atmosphere can't be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-soKatieVIPDined on 6/16/2014Blue's menu is more appealing than the actual quality of Blue's food. I had risotto, and it was more of a regular rice grain than a risotto grain. In addition, it tasted fairly generic and was nothing special for the fact that it was $18. The atmosphere of the restaurant is more of an upscale chain and overall, I don't think it is worth the price.
- Jazz BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014It is very enjoyable for Jazz Brunch with Patrice Monahan. We were enjoying the music, food and open air windows on a lovely spring day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/12/2014we all liked the food, very tasty, the table was fine but too close to the bar, we could hardly hear each other talk. We asked for a booth far from the bar but was told only four could sit their, we are small people and to us we definitely could have sat there but they were adamant about it and wouldn't even let us try. This unfortunately set the feeling for the beginning of the night. We ended up having a wonderful time but because of the people, in the future we will take this into account before going there.Special Features:
- Consistently tremendousLoukewarmDined on 6/10/2014I have dined here many, many times and NEVER been disappointed. The food, the staff, the service -- ALL TREMENDOUS !!Special Features:
- Great placeNordicLadyDined on 6/8/2014I came with some trepidation for my elderly mother's birthday dinner, with my son. All three of us loved the place! Great food, attentive service, the windows were open to the warm evening, she could hear us even with a crowd. Even a sparkler in our birthday shared dessert. A lovely evening for us!
- Good to goBabyBack2BillVIPDined on 6/5/2014Food was excellent as was the service. Bar a bit noisy. we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good serviceJunel52Dined on 6/1/2014Food was great and our server Chris was wonderful and very attentive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/30/2014We have been 3 times in the last 3 months. We live about 45 minutes away and enjoy coming back each time. Good is good. Very vibrant and neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place to meet friendsMar64VIPDined on 5/28/2014Coming from the north shore, this us a good spot to meet friends from Framingham. We enjoyed a casual dinner, splitting some burgers and salads. The kitchen was kind enough to split the salads. The sweet potato fries were yummy but one batch was slightly burned. The wait staff was courteous, efficient, and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 368 reviews are from the Blue On Highland reviews archive.
- Great neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/23/2014This is a great place for dinner. Food was delicious as were the cocktails.Special Features:
- A fun place to eat outErinDined on 5/23/2014There is a nice atmosphere in this little restaurant, making it feel trendy. It is popular and noisy; if something could be done to keep the noise down that would help. The food was good. I didn't like my first drink, a cocktail with prosecco. It was served over ice, which was not a good idea, and maybe a mistake. But dinner was tasty and the Creme brûlée was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatkddinerVIPDined on 5/16/2014Service was excellent but the food was pretty average. It's a convenient location but I wouldn't seek it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fail On Mother's DayFrequentDinerDined on 5/11/2014My family and I have enjoyed this restaurant before and never had a problem. This Mother's Day was a different story. The service was very slow. We never got any bread for the table. I ordered a pomegranate cosmo which was just okay. During the course of the meal it was spilled twice by two seperate staff people leaving me with a soaked table setting. It was never replaced. My entree was terrible and I did not eat it. My daughter's pizza was mediocre. We ordered dessert which was a slight improvement. I also ordered a glass of prosecco to replace the cosmo. It was bitter. I kept looking around to see if there was a hidden camera because it really just kept getting worse. The waiter was very nice and comped our desserts and my entree.
- Very slow service from kitchen.RobbieDined on 5/11/2014Great ambience. Our waiter Chris was attentive, but food delivery very slow, with food mediocre, somwhat dry and cold. Appeared to be kitchen problems, perhaps related to the large number of diners, and poor coordination between cooks, and wait staff. Could not recommend this restaurant to others for special occaisions unless there is improvement in service. May give it another try however.
- jjjjVIPDined on 5/11/2014my eggs benedict were awful. I did not ask for another serving cause I was afraid they would be just as bad. The whites were runny and not cooked. Have been there for lunch/dinner and were satisfied but Mother's day brunch was a bust.