Blue On Highland
882 Highland Ave
Needham, MA 02494Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Blue On Highland
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://blueonhighland.com/
- Phone: (781) 444-7001
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm, Sunday: Brunch 11:00am - 3:00pm Dinner 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Wine Bar, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peter Tartsinis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Plated
- Entertainment: Jazz Brunch on Sundays
- Special Events: Family Gatherings
A word from Blue On Highland
Blue on Highland is an upscale suburban restaurant serving modern American cuisine in a contemporary, elegant setting, located in Needham, MA, just outside of Boston.Blue on Highland is perfect for power lunching or socializing after work over dinner and drinks, celebrating special occasions, or simply enjoying fine wine and appetizers in their beautiful bar and lounge area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Blue On Highland - Best Restaurants in Needham ›
Blue On Highland reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (74)fit for foodies (34)great for lunch (26)good for groups (26)vibrant bar scene (16)special occasion (15)kid-friendly (9)great for brunch (8)romantic (8)hot spot (7)notable wine list (7)late-night find (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- sad but trueOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/17/2014We keep going back but feel that this may be our last time for a meal. Our first time was fabulous but we have been back 6 times over the last 2 years and it just has not been as good as that first time. Service has been consistently very good. Drinks delicious. We went back the following night for the pomegranate cosmo, super delicious and better than other area similar cocktail.
- Monthly dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2014We meet with friends here monthly, and while we all have our menu favorites they recently expanded the menu with interesting and delicious additions. It is a spacious, but not large restaurant, well lit, with simple, tasteful decor. Generous bar portions, and friendly, efficient and enjoyable staff make it a favorite place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchlivetoeatVIPDined on 11/14/2014This is a very nice neighborhood restaurant for lunch. The tables are not so close together so that you can enjoy personal conversations. The food is decent although I didn't particularly enjoy the flavor of the pasta bolognese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank youdennehyprDined on 11/12/2014Needham has many options for casual dining, but Blue On Highland rises above the pack. We had a reservation for a late weeknight table and ran late and were a bigger group than our reservation; the staff could not have been more friendly and accommodating. We were a scattered, tired group and they were patient and flexible with our requests. Bravo, Wednesday night Blue staff, for being professional and demonstrating to a bunch of hungry businesspeople the true definition of "service" and "dining". This is why we buy local, too - you didn't kick us out as you cleaned and we enjoyed some more time together. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yoda1Dined on 11/8/2014Excellent neighborhood restaurant with good food and pleasant staff. Easy to park and easy to get to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual local spotFoodexplorerDined on 11/7/2014We have been to Blue twice, the second time with several friends. Both times we sat in the dining, rather than bar, area. This is a comfortable, moderately priced, friendly place. We found the steak flavorful,tender cooked a perfect medium rare as requested. One in the party ordered the salmon and pronounced it okay as he felt it lacked seasoning and was slightly overcooked. Another ordered the lobster roll which was deemed both tasty and filling. Our servers both times were attentive and personable. Blue is the place to which we will most likely return when we want a comfortable setting with very decent food. It's nice to have this close by.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!yumoDined on 11/2/2014As always...staff was always close at hand...food was very good...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MusicTravel4kidsBrasilDined on 11/2/2014Live music during Sunday brunch .kids like the marinara pasta and mini sliders . Musica ao Vivo aos domingos . Mini hamburger foi top para as kidsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDinerDined on 11/1/2014I had enjoyed some lovely lunches at the restaurant prior to our dinner outing. My Thai noodle soup was flavorless and the waiter never came over to see how things were, so I never got to reorder and eat. He was kind enough to remove my entree from the bill once he came by. Then he dropped the bill and never returned, so we had to get up after 15 minutes to ask if a staff person would take our payment. Not fun on a Saturday night.
- Perfect!ESGFDined on 10/29/2014Enjoyed dinner with old friends. Shared tasty appetizers: tuna, guacamole. Each of us enjoyed our entrees. Wine was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location Location LocationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/29/2014Meeting friends from Arlington, North Attleboro, and Holliston - Blue was the perfect location - right off of Rte. 128. Seated by the window with a nice view of the rainy night we were having. Everyone enjoyed their meals - butternut squash ravioli (ordered by 3 out of 4) and a shrimp and pasta dish. We were able to stay and chat a while after finishing our meals. Did not feel rushed by our waitress. A very enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- A misstep for restaurantnightoutDined on 10/26/2014We have dined at Blue for many years and always had a great experience. Our last visit was very disappointing. The service was terrible. We waited a long time for water and a waiter. The particular food I wanted was sold out - it was only 7:00 pm. The special was not good. The waiter took our coffee and tea order then completely forgot them and presented us with the bill. We didn't protest and left. They were not on the bill. If this was my first time at Blue I would never come back. I am willing to to try it again and hope it is better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding BLUEWestwoodMaxineDined on 10/26/2014The server was especially gracious and the food delicious. The server readily accommodated my request to prepare a frittata without s wrap. It was a jazz brunch and the music was wonderful - the group was very talented!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed ExperienceEnvoyBoyVIPDined on 10/22/2014Cocktails and food were very good. Not a destination experience but certainly worthy of a try if living or visiting in the area. Waitress was very attentive. Big fail, however, was on wine. The list was small and eclectic, which can be great fun! I asked the waitress some questions, which she couldn't answer. Fair enough. She sent someone else over. Due to the lack of uniform, I assume this person was a manager. I asked about two different wines and she told me she hadn't tried the wines but could print out some tasting notes for me. Epic fail. Food this good deserves a staff knowledgable about its (small) wine list. Maybe that's why the bar was packed but the restaurant was mostly empty.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/20/2014Have found bar scene to be noisy and overwhelming. We were early and had a delicious meal, attentive waiter and enjoyed the quietSpecial Features:
- comfortable experienceLinnyVIPDined on 10/19/2014I arranged the reservation for 3 couples and they took us right away. Staff was very attentive. We had a comfortable round table and were able to converse because the surrroundings were allowed us to hear each other. The menu has something for every taste and the food was tastefully served. All in all a very comfortable experience.Special Features:
- Consistently ExcellentMentahDined on 10/16/2014This was my 4th or 5th time dining at Blue on Highland. The food and service are consistently excellent. Everything is always prepared and seasoned to perfection, and the service is always top notch. Always a pleasure dining at Blue on Highland.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014we enjoyed the dinner - the view was great and service very goodSpecial Features:
- After BabsonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/15/2014Server was not as attentive as she should have been. Mixed up several entrees including two of the same where one was medium rare, one medium well. Should have been marked by the kitchen or by her to at least ask which one went to whom. Been to Blue many time; always dependable. First time disappointed with service. Food, pricing, wine and ambiance were, as always, terrific.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014First time at Blue on Highland for lunch ... food was great. Service was a bit rushed, but may have been because they were trying to get us in and out in an hour. Definitely would go backSpecial Features:
- PLEASANT RELAXED DININGOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2014PLEASANT RELAXED DINING-Good service & food; varied menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/5/2014we enjoyed the place the food and the service, everything good, nothing fabulous, menu hasn't changed for a long time but still good.Special Features:
- nice service, food not great, noisywdnmbDined on 10/3/2014The server was very friendly, answered our questions and responded to our requests promptly. Unfortunately two out of four in our party were not happy with the food: the lobster in the lobster roll was not fresh, and the accompanying french fries were soggy and mealy. The hakefish tasted greasy and the "new potatoes" were not cooked through. The asparagus were good, as were the pasta dishes. The noise level at the beginning of the evening was very high and therefore not great for people dependent on hearing aids. It did level off later on as the proportion of adults in the room increased.
- Would go back in a heartbeat!!RobertDined on 10/3/2014We were meeting out of town friends at a location convenient for both of us, and another friend recommended Blue on Highland as it wasn't far off I-95.. We ordered the salad with the sliced duck and it was absolutely outstanding. Our server was knowledgeable and his recommendations were spot on! Thank you.Special Features:
- always good food and servicesuzzDined on 9/29/2014This is a consistently good restaurant. Takes reservations on time. Nice ambiance. However on weekends when it is full noise level is high. weeknights it is quieter.Special Features:
- I will dine againJennamacDined on 9/28/2014I have heard great things about the restaurant however when I dined solo I wasn't thrilled with the service and it felt a little rushed. The brunch was a small selection, I would of liked a few lunch options besides basic salads. The restaurant itself had a very inviting comfortable atmosphere. Will try again, however not during Sunday brunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very amiable wait staffNeedham43Dined on 9/22/2014Anthony and Ashley were terrific.! Wait staff is always very anxious to please and are enthusiastic in their attention. Very consistently!Special Features:
- One of our Go-To's - but not 2niteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014We enjoy Blue as a close, neighborhood quality restaurant. On this particular evening, we had tickets to the symphony and let the waitress know we were on a tight schedule. But it didn't seem to affect the speed of our food - in fact, despite our heads up, it felt like the food took extra long to come. We will definitely be visiting again... but probably not if we have plans immediately following dinner.Special Features:
- Hard to eatBornhungry2Dined on 9/9/2014My wife and I were celebrating an anniversary so we thought Blue would be a great choice - wrong. The drinks were good but expensive at $11 each. The calamari app was a bit tough and chewy, fair. The duck entree was good however my wife's seafood dish was hard to eat as it had some undercooked, rock hard little bits of what looked like green onion. When this was brought to the servers attention she just shrugged her shoulders and took the dish away! I would not return or recommend Blue. For $100 there are many better options.Special Features:
- Blue on HighlandFood4Dined on 9/6/2014We sat at a round table which was perfect for 6 diners. Our waitress was very friendly and efficient, tending to our needs without being asked. Every meal was perfectly cooked and served. The portions were ample which led us not to order dessert because we were so well fed by the meal. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice optionsSteveDined on 9/5/2014I have eaten here several times. Nice ambience, good location. The appetizer and main course selections are excellent. I usually sit at the bar, which has several large screens withing view, but not loud or obtrusive. One note, the bar height is actually a little high (I checked and it's the bar height, not the stool height) which makes it only a slightly uncomfortable height, but I managed. The bartenders were very nice, but after getting our drinks and specifically asking us if we were having dinner (yes, we were), they did not come back with menus or a setup for a very long time. When they finally set us up, the rest of the experience was very nice. We both had the haddock special and it was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice location Not nice foodsongwarriorDined on 8/31/2014We went to this place because of the good reviews. Our waiter was distracted. A large table next to us got all his attention. The food was bland and almost seemed re used. Would not recommend.
- Always a good mealCBS42Dined on 8/31/2014It's a little out of our way most nights, but we always look forward to eating here. The dishes are imaginative without being overly fancy (i.e.: I can understand everything on the menu!). The staff is friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Needham Wins With BLUE on HighlandCurdNerd351Dined on 8/28/2014The service provided by Alissa was top of the charts. The apps and entres were very very good. I'd skip dessert....the desserts were not up to the rest of their standardsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Meal at Blue On HighlandGpaxmanDined on 8/23/2014We were seated promptly. Our server was attentive and appeared very knowledgeable about the meals. The entrees were all good, the baked brie appetizer was particularly notable.Special Features:
- Better than previous visitsHeatherVIPDined on 8/20/2014I thought the food was better than it's been in the past. Such a great spot, it was a shame the food was so bland, but this time it had more flavor. Maybe a new chef?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/19/2014I like this place and it really is charming but sorry when I book a reservation at a 1000 point restaurant and don't get anything?!?! Really? The hostesses could not be more aloof and frankly bimbos, and not helpful or anything; they need proper staff moving forward. I will go back but no reservation.Special Features:
- MACNatickVIPDined on 8/10/2014Again, the food was very good. Anthony is always a great server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysMentahDined on 8/9/2014The food and service are always perfection at Blue on Highland. My husband and I dined there on Saturday, and it was surprisingly not crowded. We started with the Parmesan Fries as an appetizer - it comes with a white truffle and chive mayo - and also ketchup for simpler folk like myself. Delish. For dinner I had their special, which was Risotto with baby shrimp, peas and sun dried tomatoes. Heavenly. My husband had crab cakes for dinner, and said they were great. He ordered the chocolate bread pudding for dessert - I didn't try it, but he wasn't too impressed with it. He said it was overcooked. Other than that, perfection. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buisiness early dinnerBigfoodieDined on 8/5/2014Last minute reservation with client who needed a vegetarian option; very accommodating and excellent meal provided off menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.