Blue On Highland
882 Highland Ave
Needham, MA 02494Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Blue On Highland
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://blueonhighland.com/
- Phone: 7814447001
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 11:30am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peter Tartsinis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Jazz Brunch on Sundays
A word from Blue On Highland
Blue on Highland is an upscale suburban restaurant serving modern American cuisine in a contemporary, elegant setting, located in Needham, MA, just outside of Boston.Blue on Highland is perfect for power lunching or socializing after work over dinner and drinks, celebrating special occasions, or simply enjoying fine wine and appetizers in their beautiful bar and lounge area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blue On Highland reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (69)fit for foodies (29)great for lunch (29)good for groups (25)special occasion (16)vibrant bar scene (14)kid-friendly (12)great for brunch (8)notable wine list (8)romantic (8)hot spot (7)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- comfortable experienceLinnyVIPDined on 10/19/2014I arranged the reservation for 3 couples and they took us right away. Staff was very attentive. We had a comfortable round table and were able to converse because the surrroundings were allowed us to hear each other. The menu has something for every taste and the food was tastefully served. All in all a very comfortable experience.Special Features:
- Consistently ExcellentMentahDined on 10/16/2014This was my 4th or 5th time dining at Blue on Highland. The food and service are consistently excellent. Everything is always prepared and seasoned to perfection, and the service is always top notch. Always a pleasure dining at Blue on Highland.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014we enjoyed the dinner - the view was great and service very goodSpecial Features:
- After BabsonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/15/2014Server was not as attentive as she should have been. Mixed up several entrees including two of the same where one was medium rare, one medium well. Should have been marked by the kitchen or by her to at least ask which one went to whom. Been to Blue many time; always dependable. First time disappointed with service. Food, pricing, wine and ambiance were, as always, terrific.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014First time at Blue on Highland for lunch ... food was great. Service was a bit rushed, but may have been because they were trying to get us in and out in an hour. Definitely would go backSpecial Features:
- PLEASANT RELAXED DININGOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2014PLEASANT RELAXED DINING-Good service & food; varied menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/5/2014we enjoyed the place the food and the service, everything good, nothing fabulous, menu hasn't changed for a long time but still good.Special Features:
- nice service, food not great, noisywdnmbDined on 10/3/2014The server was very friendly, answered our questions and responded to our requests promptly. Unfortunately two out of four in our party were not happy with the food: the lobster in the lobster roll was not fresh, and the accompanying french fries were soggy and mealy. The hakefish tasted greasy and the "new potatoes" were not cooked through. The asparagus were good, as were the pasta dishes. The noise level at the beginning of the evening was very high and therefore not great for people dependent on hearing aids. It did level off later on as the proportion of adults in the room increased.
- Would go back in a heartbeat!!RobertDined on 10/3/2014We were meeting out of town friends at a location convenient for both of us, and another friend recommended Blue on Highland as it wasn't far off I-95.. We ordered the salad with the sliced duck and it was absolutely outstanding. Our server was knowledgeable and his recommendations were spot on! Thank you.Special Features:
- always good food and servicesuzzDined on 9/29/2014This is a consistently good restaurant. Takes reservations on time. Nice ambiance. However on weekends when it is full noise level is high. weeknights it is quieter.Special Features:
- I will dine againJennamacDined on 9/28/2014I have heard great things about the restaurant however when I dined solo I wasn't thrilled with the service and it felt a little rushed. The brunch was a small selection, I would of liked a few lunch options besides basic salads. The restaurant itself had a very inviting comfortable atmosphere. Will try again, however not during Sunday brunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very amiable wait staffNeedham43Dined on 9/22/2014Anthony and Ashley were terrific.! Wait staff is always very anxious to please and are enthusiastic in their attention. Very consistently!Special Features:
- One of our Go-To's - but not 2niteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014We enjoy Blue as a close, neighborhood quality restaurant. On this particular evening, we had tickets to the symphony and let the waitress know we were on a tight schedule. But it didn't seem to affect the speed of our food - in fact, despite our heads up, it felt like the food took extra long to come. We will definitely be visiting again... but probably not if we have plans immediately following dinner.Special Features:
- Hard to eatBornhungry2Dined on 9/9/2014My wife and I were celebrating an anniversary so we thought Blue would be a great choice - wrong. The drinks were good but expensive at $11 each. The calamari app was a bit tough and chewy, fair. The duck entree was good however my wife's seafood dish was hard to eat as it had some undercooked, rock hard little bits of what looked like green onion. When this was brought to the servers attention she just shrugged her shoulders and took the dish away! I would not return or recommend Blue. For $100 there are many better options.Special Features:
- Blue on HighlandFood4Dined on 9/6/2014We sat at a round table which was perfect for 6 diners. Our waitress was very friendly and efficient, tending to our needs without being asked. Every meal was perfectly cooked and served. The portions were ample which led us not to order dessert because we were so well fed by the meal. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice optionsSteveDined on 9/5/2014I have eaten here several times. Nice ambience, good location. The appetizer and main course selections are excellent. I usually sit at the bar, which has several large screens withing view, but not loud or obtrusive. One note, the bar height is actually a little high (I checked and it's the bar height, not the stool height) which makes it only a slightly uncomfortable height, but I managed. The bartenders were very nice, but after getting our drinks and specifically asking us if we were having dinner (yes, we were), they did not come back with menus or a setup for a very long time. When they finally set us up, the rest of the experience was very nice. We both had the haddock special and it was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice location Not nice foodsongwarriorDined on 8/31/2014We went to this place because of the good reviews. Our waiter was distracted. A large table next to us got all his attention. The food was bland and almost seemed re used. Would not recommend.
- Always a good mealCBS42Dined on 8/31/2014It's a little out of our way most nights, but we always look forward to eating here. The dishes are imaginative without being overly fancy (i.e.: I can understand everything on the menu!). The staff is friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Needham Wins With BLUE on HighlandCurdNerd351Dined on 8/28/2014The service provided by Alissa was top of the charts. The apps and entres were very very good. I'd skip dessert....the desserts were not up to the rest of their standardsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Meal at Blue On HighlandGpaxmanDined on 8/23/2014We were seated promptly. Our server was attentive and appeared very knowledgeable about the meals. The entrees were all good, the baked brie appetizer was particularly notable.Special Features:
- Better than previous visitsHeatherVIPDined on 8/20/2014I thought the food was better than it's been in the past. Such a great spot, it was a shame the food was so bland, but this time it had more flavor. Maybe a new chef?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/19/2014I like this place and it really is charming but sorry when I book a reservation at a 1000 point restaurant and don't get anything?!?! Really? The hostesses could not be more aloof and frankly bimbos, and not helpful or anything; they need proper staff moving forward. I will go back but no reservation.Special Features:
- MACNatickVIPDined on 8/10/2014Again, the food was very good. Anthony is always a great server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysMentahDined on 8/9/2014The food and service are always perfection at Blue on Highland. My husband and I dined there on Saturday, and it was surprisingly not crowded. We started with the Parmesan Fries as an appetizer - it comes with a white truffle and chive mayo - and also ketchup for simpler folk like myself. Delish. For dinner I had their special, which was Risotto with baby shrimp, peas and sun dried tomatoes. Heavenly. My husband had crab cakes for dinner, and said they were great. He ordered the chocolate bread pudding for dessert - I didn't try it, but he wasn't too impressed with it. He said it was overcooked. Other than that, perfection. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buisiness early dinnerBigfoodieDined on 8/5/2014Last minute reservation with client who needed a vegetarian option; very accommodating and excellent meal provided off menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most EnjoyablejmdeeDined on 8/2/2014My friends and I had a wonderful dinner at Blue on Highland. We each had a different meal and each of us took left overs home to enjoy later. The food was terrific and the service outstanding. A wonderful time was had by all.Special Features:
- great sweet potato string friessilkysmomDined on 8/1/2014Lunch was so pleasant and relaxing. Lovely dining room with table cloths. It was a perfect day so all the front windows we're folded back giving a nice out door feel. Course the street noise made it a little more vibrant than usual. I enjoyed the shrimp tacos for a second time. This time they came with fabulous string sweet potato fries. Wonderful. Note that the shrimp are the very small ones (Maine?), so don't expect the nice big cocktail size ones. The brownie ice cream Sunday was really good and plenty to share. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Great -JocanDined on 7/29/2014Love Blue for nights out with friends. It's centrally located for our group, love the atmosphere, has a nice menu and always wonderful service. Plus, they never try to rush us out, which is a bonus for us chatty ladies who don't get together as frequently as we would like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All DownhillOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/24/2014Blue was great, but the last time we were in, there was a fight over a chair at the bar, the bar tenders were lackdaisical and dismissive and the wait staff/support staff was hanging at the end of the bar on their cell phones. Very disapointed in how far this place has fallen.
- Nice place in Needhamdiner24Dined on 7/14/2014I would definitely recommend Blue on Highland and go back. The hostess was very nice,we were seated immediately as we had an early reservation. Nice young lady was our waitress, she took care of us without any fuss, very nice. The ambience is very nice with white tablecloths, our food was very good. I had crab cakes and my friends all got the salmon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/5/2014very busy as the night progressed and the food was wonderful we all finished completely with no problem and the service was friendly and efficient. we will all go again.Special Features:
- Replicate Boston without the driveBostonBeanDined on 7/2/2014Good food and wine list. Nice alternative to a drive into Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceMichaelWKDined on 7/1/2014Went here for a business lunch meeting. The food was delicious, and the server was on top of her game. Also fairly priced. Great experience, would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try another placePalateTesterVIPDined on 6/29/2014Dined on Sunday evening, 6/30 with four adults for a special occasion birthday dinner. The wait staff was polite, but a little too procedural, leaving you with the impression, that they treated you exactly the same as the last 50 tables they served. The dining room was one large monochromatic yellow room, lacking character, separate dining spaces or niches; and was bland and uninspiring. Then there was the food. Two of us were ill for 24 hours after enjoying the calamari, steak was mealy and the frites were soggy and absorbed all the oil they were cooked in. The sirloin salad was awful and my guests were quiet about their meals, being very polite. I would not be returning.
- Staff didn't fit ambianceDinerVIPDined on 6/26/2014This is an absolutely Beautiful restaurant, great space, decor & atmosphere. Unfortunately the staff hindered or experience between the server who didn't have any answers to or questions & didn't clear a dish from any of our courses until the end of the meal, the manager on his cell phone at the front door, the busses leaving buckets of dirty dishes near us....just bizarre considering how great of a space this is. We were also celebrating a special occasion (notes on our res) & no one so muh as mentioned it. Again, just a buzzard experience.
- Good for lunchMarkDined on 6/26/2014We went here for a business lunch. The food was good and our server was very attentive. Thank you.Special Features:
- The following 379 reviews are from the Blue On Highland reviews archive.
- mixed reviewemilyDined on 6/19/2014First, the food is very good and nice menu. Our server was lovely, a bit forgetful, but lovely. The evening we went was very warm so they had the front portion of the restaurant "open dining". Although in theory it is nice to be outside, in fact HIghland Ave is a VERY busy street and there were several times Emergency vehicles went by with sirens on....not really all that nice a view or sound. The concept is appealing but it really does not add to the dining experience. Our meals were quite delicious and we will definitely be going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best bistrogtgrammy5Dined on 6/19/2014Blue on Highland is a suburban gem. The food is consistently excellent & the service is as well. Great beer & wine menu. The atmosphere can't be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-soKatieVIPDined on 6/16/2014Blue's menu is more appealing than the actual quality of Blue's food. I had risotto, and it was more of a regular rice grain than a risotto grain. In addition, it tasted fairly generic and was nothing special for the fact that it was $18. The atmosphere of the restaurant is more of an upscale chain and overall, I don't think it is worth the price.
- Jazz BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014It is very enjoyable for Jazz Brunch with Patrice Monahan. We were enjoying the music, food and open air windows on a lovely spring day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.