Blue Ocean Robata & Sushi Bar
2958 Madison Street
Carlsbad, CA 92008Neighborhood:
Contemporary AsianPrice: $30 and under
Blue Ocean Robata & Sushi Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blueoceanrobatasushi.com/
- Phone: 7604344959x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Daily: 4:30 PM - 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary Asian, Yakitori
- Executive Chef: James Pyo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Blue Ocean Robata & Sushi Bar
Dive into Blue Ocean Robata and Sushi Bar to experience the delectable flavors of the ocean mixed with the heat of the robata grill. Our menu features signature sushi rolls and mouthwatering robata skewers that will leave you wanting more. Blue Ocean also features a full bar to enjoy specialty cocktails and the always exciting sake bombs. We invite you to come in and swim against the tide.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Blue Ocean Robata & Sushi Bar - Best Restaurants in Carlsbad ›
Blue Ocean Robata & Sushi Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (40)neighborhood gem (32)hot spot (29)vibrant bar scene (24)special occasion (18)good for groups (16)great for lunch (9)late-night find (6)romantic (5)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great SushiGiovanniVIPDined on 8/24/2014This place is trendy while delivering great sushi and Japanese dishes. The rolls were especially appealing because it was the first time that I've eaten at a sushi place that offered quinoa or brown rice instead of white rice! I will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Loud and livelyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/19/2014Knowledgable wait staff., very helpful Hostess a bit unfriendlySpecial Features:
- Very solid, but loudStirFryDined on 8/8/2014Not sure if I caught BOR on an especially boisterous night but my biggest takeaway was how really loud it was. Not in any way that affected my experience super negatively, but was distracting in a few instances. You know, the 'turn your head' kind of loud people. But that being said, the food was tremendous, service was great and definitely will be back again. Our reservation was at 730 and at around 830, the noise level quieted down. So next time, a later reservation and we'll be good to go. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeKyussDined on 8/6/2014Every time I go here I am more and more impressed. Marissa the server and Chris the Manager are the best. I can't wait till the next time. I tell all my friends about this place.Special Features:
- Great food!!!DloveVIPDined on 8/5/2014Awesome, neighborhood spot for sushi lovers. I consider myself a sushi foodie and this was some of the best sushi I have had in a long time. Must try The French Kiss and the Albacore Delight. The black cod robata was also super tasty. I can't wait to visit Carlsbad again so I eat at Blue Ocean!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super food and experienceLovegoodfoodDined on 7/23/2014This was our first time here and it was fabulous!! We sat at the Robata Grill and it was fun talking to the "grill chef". The pork belly was amazing, as well as the sushi rolls and the duck. We are anxious to come back and try many more things on the menu. We will bring our daughter and son-in-law, who are foodies also. My husband brought me here for my birthday dinner and with our dessert I was presented with a sparkling birthday candle!!Special Features:
- Best scallops I've ever hadGregDined on 7/11/2014The food was outstanding. The bacon wrapped scallops were by far the best I have ever had. I made my wife try one (and she doesn't like scallops) and she is now a fan of scallops. I could order those for the entire meal and be completely satisfied.Special Features:
- Great foodErikad1228Dined on 7/11/2014This place is great, the sushi is quality and pretty much anything that comes off the grill is good. Rolls are good sized and have lots of flavor.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Japanese food…EVER!GwenVIPDined on 7/5/2014We were immediately impressed by the futuristic ambience. We also recognized some movie stars, but that's STILL not the reason that we can hardly wait to come back, (despite making the trek from Silicon Valley)! Anyway, to get properly over ourselves, we "need" to say that that the drinks and sushi/sashimi were the best we've ever had!!! We happily over-ate and were thrilled rather than remorseful. One of the sushi chefs. also gave us some fabulous tastes of super-fresh fish. AND, finally, we had a dessert that was off-the-chart in deliciousness: a dark-chocolate torte, with toasted nuts, coconut sorbet and so much more. WOW, it was terrific!Special Features:
- Newest FavLauraDined on 6/27/2014Love this place. Went for my husband's birthday with a group of friends. It was really noisy, but for our purpose, that was fine. The food was excellent and the service was stellar. We loved what our server recommended and had a great time. Get the warm cashew salad. It's amazing!Special Features:
- Best Sushi & Grilled Meats!AJ82Dined on 6/26/2014The quality of their sushi is excellent. They are one of the few places that offer toro and blue fin tuna- which is hard to find. They offer unique rolls (like the tango mango) in addition to making traditional ones. I've also tried pretty much all the robata meats and they are all great. My favs are the lamb chops, wagyu meatballs, and sculpin. Nice wine & saki offerings as well. I haven't tried any of the other main entrees as I like to eat just the sushi & robata.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vibe--fun spotLove2eatoutDined on 6/25/2014Lots of energy (very noisy), great vibe and decor. The food was good (not great). The robata dishes were good and interesting. The sushi, while good quality wasnt our favorite. We are sushi snobs so if we were dying for amazing sushi we wouldn't go here but it definitely satisfied the our sushi craving while offering a more vibrant and versatile menu than your local sushi restaurant. The staff was very nice (especially Marissa) and the service was very good. The restaurant is fairly new and definitely worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sevvDined on 6/14/2014Third time going to this newer restaurant in downtown Carlsbad. Food has been excellent every time - we love the Robata grill. The first time it was almost midnight and we were the only people there. The next two times it has been jumping, with a potential for wait times.Special Features:
- Great Sashimi listHop760VIPDined on 6/13/2014Live Uni, live scallops, ohhhh ya! Sashimi list is pretty awesome. Abalone, Giant Clam, Toro, Live Uni, Live Scallops, you crave it, they have it.Special Features:
- loreDined on 6/13/2014Eggplant dish & wasabi roll are a must!! Great addition to Carlsbad night scene.Special Features:
- NicknameDined on 6/7/2014The place is nicely decorated, the food and service very good, but it's SOOOOO noisy! However go anyway, it's a fun experience, especially the robata grill--little skewers of meat and vegetables grilled over hot coals. The pork belly is fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi - but it's krab not crablleighnVIPDined on 6/7/2014Lots to love about this place-beautiful dining room, fun cocktails, good scene & we had some great food. Our robata selections (tomatoes, black cod & meatballs) were fantastic-especially the black cod. The sushi was also really good although it was clearly pre-made as it came out within moments & the rice had that "been sitting there for an hr" texture. We were there at 5 pm so I assume they were just ensuring the kitchen didn't get behind. What bothered me, however, was that they list "crab" on the menu & it's actually krab. I asked our server-so it's real crab correct? And she informed me that it wasn't-nor could we upgrade to real crab for an additional cost. Disappointing for a restaurant that clearly prides themselves on their kitchenSpecial Features:
- Very pleased.thejudge68Dined on 6/6/2014Could not have asked for a better place to eat last Friday. Service was great and food was perfect. French kiss albacore dish and pork belly, will get us back real soon. Kudos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Heart Blue OceanLuckyLittleMustardseedDined on 6/3/2014If you love contemporary interior design and delish sushi, this place is for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch is much quieter than dinner!RobMVIPDined on 6/1/2014The food here is great but if you want to hear your table mates, come for lunch! We were surprised that the lunch menu does not feature any Robata items and wish the website said so - but some of our favorites from the kitchen were available (peppers and eggplant) and the sushi rolls were wonderful. My wife had the chicken wraps - which turned out to be enough for everyone to share and then some! If you come for dinner- the Robata is wonderful but be prepared for one of the loudest restaurants you will ever visit. (But the noise isn't enough to keep us away - it just isn't a place we would choose if we wanted a place to converse). Lunch is quiet and it is a great place for friends to get together.Special Features:
- Apres Surf!KapesDined on 5/28/2014Food was fantasic! Service was good but the servers kept bringing items that we did not order. I guess a little confusion when doling out food orders. Need to incorporate some art on the walls from local artist. A little color would be good. Just some suggestions for improvements. My wife and I celebrated our 20th Anniversary and had a great time. We will be back to dine again. By the way, the green tea sunday was awesome!Special Features:
- blue oceanpotterDined on 5/24/2014THE GOOD! The food was good and seemed fresh. The service was also good. THE BAD! The noise level was very loud and it was hard to understand our server. The tables are so close together it was difficult for the servers to go between them and when they did their bottom would be in someones face ,you hear everyone sitting next to you conversation. liked the food but don't know if its worth the noise. not a place for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeKyussDined on 5/19/2014The food was excellent. The service was great. Brooke was our server and she was awesome. I tell everyone I know that likes sushi to go Blue Ocean Robata.Special Features:
- Third time hereSuzeDined on 5/17/2014Every time here like it here more. Tried new things and all were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi and presentationCaliforniaLoveVIPDined on 5/11/2014Fish was fresh with beautiful presentation. Oysters were tiny, but sweet and fresh. Scallops were beautifully presented. 3 course with Miso Cod was delicious. Robata skewers were okay, flat iron was better than the meatballs. A for Sushi, B for Robata Services was wonderful, Andrew was friendly, fast and made great suggestions. A+ Hostess was VERY NICE, but seated us after an 8 minute wait. Would have preferred they had our table ready right away for Mother's Day since it was special occasion. We mentioned we were driving from LA in Res. B+ Best seats in the house are the booth tables along the back wall or long tables for big groups. Bar area is pretty noisy, the area near restrooms is quieter. Nice music, ambiance and decor. ASpecial Features:
- Terrific Sushi average serviceAmacookerDined on 5/11/2014This is a neighborhood gem. Very nice easy to order menu without being overwhelmed by too many options. Sushi fantastic but service lacking in friendliness and warmth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb service/food/ambienceprosieDined on 5/11/2014Had a wonderful time at the restaurant for Mother's Day lunch...food was very good as well as service.Had chicken teriyaki/salmon/white tuna/green tea sundae..highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi excellentJuleDined on 5/10/2014We made reservations for 8pm arrived early 7:45 and were seated within 5 mins. Service was excellent Brooke was very attentitive and friendly. The sushi was so fresh and tender melted I. Your mouth. Not our first visit and we will be back !!!!Special Features:
- Best sushi/robata in areaOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/5/2014Having tried many of the Sushi spots in north county we have found Blue Ocean to be the best and more importantly they have an excellent kitchen on Robata Bar serving up not seen in other sushi restaurants. It's crowed so get a reservation and it is noisy. also appears to have an active bar happening.Special Features:
- Complex perfectionYummzyDined on 4/30/2014Wow, Quail eggs lightly grilled over open flame, teriyaki egg plant, chopped real wasabi, Tuna belly, Nigori sake and a super cool chef cooking right in front of us. What more could you want? The owner greeted us as we walked in dressed like we were in Monaco and proceeded to engage in conversation about the menu while the hostess graciously waited to seat us. Oh, don't forget the sweet and salty butterscotch pudding!Special Features:
- New favorite sushi spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/30/2014Food is fabulous, both the robata and sushi are top notch - really creative upscale menu. The bar is also really cool, it's a great new "hot spot" for the Village. Make sure you make a reservation, gets packed and the wait can be long.Special Features:
- The following 42 reviews are from the Blue Ocean Robata & Sushi Bar reviews archive.
- The place go in CarlsbadFoodisthewordDined on 4/18/2014Could not have been more surprised to find this restaurant just on the outskirts of downtown Carlsbad. Bar has some excellent unique cocktails. Everything we ordered for dinner was outstanding. Extremely fresh and delicious sashimi. Did not get to try the Robata but sat in front of the chefs and everything looked terrific. Can't wait to go back. Only downside was the noise level. Nothing in the room absorbed the sound but still food and drink was well worth the effort!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciously LoudLuckyJVIPDined on 4/18/2014I absolutely LOVE this place. Fantastic Sushi, and everything Robata Grilled is over-the-top Delicious! It's a fun place to eat- really " lively"... And loud. Not really a place for a quiet romantic dinner. I loved every single bite! The Carpaccio was my favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not go again becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/12/2014Would not go again because of noise level was so loud!Special Features:
- Blue Ocean: pallet dazzler!bluOceanfanDined on 4/10/2014The cusine was very innovative. Loved the mussels with linguisa sausage in a wonderful sauce. The Black Cod on top of greens and "crunchy rice" was world class. The sides are also innovative, and healthy besides. I can't wait to return and work my way through the menu!Special Features:
- Delish! And worth returning to!KC760Dined on 4/5/2014I made a reservation here for my Fiancé's birthday. First time we have had a chance to enjoy this new hot spot. We got seated about 40 minutes AFTER our reservation, which I thought was a little rediculious. But I didn't let that bother me. We weren't in a hurry. Went to the bar for a while and drank while waiting. I got a hibiscus martini that Kim suggested and it was really good! Once we did get seated the service was fast and super friendly, the food was amazing! Very tasty and unique. We all had a great time and we will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nite allaregtimVIPDined on 4/5/2014The sushi was very good. The noise drove my partner and I out! It was crawling with children...who appeared to be unattended. I won't be back anytime soon.
- MehJayTeeDined on 4/5/2014Decided to spend celebrating my 50th with my wife here. I made reservations and noted the special occasion and requested a nicer table. We arrived a few mins before our reservation & were greeted by 3 young girls who all seemed like they were being trained as hostesses and all looked confused. Obviously, A manager was there helping them and they seemed to be struggling to find us our reserved table. After a mins, they took us to what I thought would be our table, but instead, they tried seating us at the sushi bar. We refused it. After another few mins, they directed us to a table in the bar area (vs. the main dining area). I'd hardly call that a special or quiet table. Food was good but overall, we were disappointed. We will not return.Special Features:
- Delicious and deafeningLifeisgoodDined on 4/4/2014The food, service, and decor are all delightful. The acoustics, unfortunately, almost ruined the experience. To be fair, it could have been the unruly children sitting nearby, or the obnoxiously loud group of ladies sitting near the bar. The tables could not have been any closer together. I am eager to return and try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mostly greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/30/20144 stars because while the food was quite tasty, the service was a bit off. We ordered edamame as soon as we got there as we were starving. Later, two of us ordered sushi rolls while the third person ordered a bento box. After awhile, one of the sushi rolls was brought out, but no edamame. The the second sushi roll, at which point I asked about the edamame. Awkwardly, the person waiting for her bento box had to wait several minutes after all other food was on the table before her food came. I feel like the order you serve food in should not be that difficult. When you order something as an appetizer well before you place your main meal order, it should be brought out first and all main courses at the same time.I would recommend this to a friend.