Blue Morel fka Copeland
2 Whippany Road
Morristown, NJ 07960Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Blue Morel fka Copeland
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluemorel.com/
- Phone: 9734512619
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast 6:30am-10:30am Lunch Monday-Saturday 11:30am-2:30pm Dinner 5:30pm-10pm Sunday Brunch 12:00pm-2:30pm SUNDAY BRUNCH BUFFET - includes breakfast favorites, sensational entrees and tantalizing desserts with a glass of champagne, mimosa, blood mary, or a signature cocktail. Sunday Supper 4:00pm-9:00pm SUNDAY SUPPER - features a three course menu for $29 per person, 50% off select wines by the bottle, and allows guests to bring a special bottle from their own cellar at no corkage.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Takafuji
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Blue Morel Restaurant is located in the Westin Governor Morris which offers the most elegant space for business meetings, weddings and bar mitzvahs! Accommodating up to 400 guests, we would be happy to be at your service! Call David Lombardi to make arrangements for your occasion at 973.451.2611.
- Entertainment: Two wide screen TV's at the Wine Bar.
- Special Events: Blue Morel hosts a variety of special events including Scotch and winemaker dinners and tastings, wine educational series and number of others. Please call for information on upcoming events at 973.451.2619.
A word from Blue Morel fka Copeland
Blue Morel Restaurant and Wine Bar (Named Top 10 New Restaurants in U.S.) combines the finest seasonal ingredients from local, regional, organic and sustainable farms with the culinary creativity of Chef Thomas Ciszak and Chef Kevin Takafuji. Nestled in historic Morristown, New Jersey, Blue Morel creates a "Farm to Table" experience serving New American Cuisine, Sushi and a Seafood Raw Bar. Open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner and a buffet brunch is served on Sundays. Our new Sunday Supper features a three course menu for $29 per person. The Wine Bar offers more than 70 wines by the glass and half glass tastings and is available for receptions up to 25 people. For private dining, Blue Morel features the Wine Room, which seats up to 18 guests. For larger events, weddings and bar mitzvahs, elegant rooms are available to accomodate up to 400 guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blue Morel fka Copeland reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (35)special occasion (32)notable wine list (27)romantic (26)good for groups (17)great for lunch (8)vibrant bar scene (8)neighborhood gem (6)great for brunch (5)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- DisappointedclaudethecookDined on 9/23/2014I had looked forward to dining at Blue Morel after reading rave reviews and was disappointed. Had steak tartar as an appetizer and grilled salmon entree. The tartar IMO is always better prepared table side...barring that, show the egg! This preparation strayed too far afield of the classic for my taste. I'm a pepper freak and it was too peppery. The salmon cut was below average - the center portion of the fish wasn't fatty enough to stand up to grilling; the thinner/downside of the cut should have been discarded. Dessert was billed as a chocolate 'brioche' and it was a chocolate lava cake which is fine because I prefer lava cake and didn't quite know what I would get in a chocolate brioche. Wanted oysters but were over-priced so skipped.Special Features:
- Too expensive, poor serviceJar1229VIPDined on 9/13/2014Typical hotel restaurant jacks up prices on poor dining customers. We had the tasting menu which was $55 pp not including alcohol for four courses. The service was too slow and the dessert (cheesecake napoleon) was inedible!Special Features:
- John77John77Dined on 9/12/2014Very good but too expensive. Nice service but atmosphere is lacking.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/31/2014Amazing that you can get a 3 course meal of that quality for $29 on Sunday evening. And love that some bottles of wine are 50% off at that time too.Special Features:
- Hotel restaurant is so much moreWinj64Dined on 8/30/2014My husband and I were looking for a something different for our anniversary dinner. I had read reviews of Blue Morel as a great brunch spot but hadn't talked to anyone going there for dinner. Reviews online looked amazing, so we decided to give it a try. After entering through the hotel lobby and finding it on the empty side, we were a little worried. But start to finish we had a great meal and experience. Our server was very attentive and ready with wonderful suggestions. We started with a cocktail.The breadbasket came with a jar of homemade pickles. We decided to share tuna tartar and cured meats to start it off. Main dishes were delicious as were desserts. Our only complaint was they were so attentive that it felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still greatBillNVIPDined on 8/29/2014Despite a few changes in name, decor, and staff, the basic structure of this restaurant remains the same, and that's a nice thing. We've dined here perhaps 30 times in the past decade, and it's been consistently solid, always at least very good and often excellent.Special Features:
- Not ImpressedVCCAP2Dined on 8/27/2014The place was nice, Waiter was attentive, average overpriced food
- Highly recommend!karamia646Dined on 8/23/2014My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at Blue Morel this past weekend and I have nothing but rave reviews. Service was top notch! We were greeted with a smile, our server was knowledgeable and made excellent suggestions. The ambience was perfect. The lighting was dim but not too dark where you couldn't read the menu. It set the mood for a romantic dinner. Finally the food was outstanding. I have been there a few times before so I was not surprised about the quality but every bite was better than the next! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CoplandJoelDined on 8/23/2014Ambiance was boring and room was dull. Service was good and attentive but the food preparation was just ok. Imwould not rush back to this restaurant .
- Twice as NiceJo74Dined on 8/22/2014My 2nd visit to Blue Morel and it once again was a great evening. The service is excellent, drinks and wine list extensive, the sushi was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceHappycamperDined on 8/21/2014Great place! Food and service were great. Only complaint is that it the temperature was set too low (it was cold).Special Features:
- Travel hotelOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/19/2014The restaurant is filled with travelers working on their lap tops. There is no ambience. This is a quick in quick out travel meal restaurant. Waiters are disinterested and seem bored. Food is ok, but will not come back as this was not a dining experience in any way.
- Expected moreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Based on the reviews, my fiance and I, had high hopes for the Blue Morel. We started with the tomato and melon salad and both thought it was very good; my fiance thought it had too many elements while I enjoyed the variety, we both agreed the flavors were excellent. She ordered the duck and I got the short ribs, both dishes fell flat. The sauces were absolutely overpowering in both entrees, such that you could barely taste the meat. For dessert we had the yuzu semifredo and the warm chocolate brioche. While both desserts were enjoyable neither wowed.Special Features:
- Dependably good every timeRampant1VIPDined on 8/8/2014I've lost count now of how many times I've been to Blue Morel, between business lunches and dinners with my wife, but each time has been rewarding. Even on a slow Friday afternoon in August, the kitchen and servers brought their A game. We were one of 4 tables seated and the server was attentive without being overbearing, knowledgable about all aspects of the menu, and generally pleasant. The cocktail menu has some gems and we found some of them quickly. Though there were no food specials, the lunch menu is sufficiently intriguing. We had the tuna tartare and the crab cake to start and were both happy. The chicken entree was perfectly done (not exaggerating) and the warm potato salad was a solid pairing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrankDined on 8/2/2014Varied menu, responsive to the seasons. Well prepared and attractively presented. Always welcomed as a returning guest. Our favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuna Tartar is a must!winenrosesDined on 8/2/2014This appetizer was amazing! Also enjoyed the sea bass special which was a perfect combo of sweet and savory. The crab cake appy was disappointing-not enough flavor and a bit dry. Drinks were made too sweet (Margarita and arnold palmer were both overly sweet). Martini had the small olives (not very eventful for a classy joint.) Dining room was very loud. I would have loved to see more Mushrooms on the menu too...OH, and the brussels sprouts side was MMMMMM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Check bill carefullyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/26/2014The food here is very good. Steak, fish, raw bar all tasted fresh and delicious. Nice, quiet atmosphere. Only detractor is the service. Two appetizers came out, the other two arrived after the other two had finished eating theirs. Wine arrived after appetizers served. No one replaced missing silverware. Had to request butter for the bread three times. Water glasses remained empty. When asked for more water, server poured that person's water, but ignored everyone else's empty water glass. Biggest issue was very large error on check in restaurants favor. Server apologized and said can't believe you caught that. Another table near us had the same issue. Management must step up the training of wait staff.
- Business dinnerMBEatsDined on 7/24/2014Great business dinner with clients. Service was great and the food delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AmbiancelovetoeatDined on 7/19/2014Lovely décor, very nice menu, food was very good, had sushi, excellent , crab cakes, fair, waitress attentive, but had to ask to have water refilled, service could have been better, but will try againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTableFrequentFlyerVIPDined on 7/17/2014Food was very good. The waiter took an order for 8 and brought 7 dishes. Instead of apologizing, he kept saying the last dish is onits way out. he obviously never put the order in. Twenty minutes later they brought out the last dish, when everyone else was just about finished. Very good food, and pretty, but the service is weakSpecial Features:
- Another nice visit to Blue MorelMotownDined on 7/15/2014I came to Blue Morel on Tuesday for a business dinner, and it was wonderful. It was my 4th or 5th time there and its consistently good. I tried the special salad, and it was very fresh but a bizarre mix of fruits and veggies that was interesting but I probably wouldn't order it again...just not my thing. For entree, I highly recommend the Chilean sea bass with the potato wrapped shrimp....awesome and never disappoints. Dessert, blueberry almond cake, was delicious. Blue Morel is probably the best in Morristown for fancy American fare, highly recommend if you haven't been there. Nice sophisticated atmosphere without being too stuffy. Great bar by the windows. Also Blue Morel is not so loud that you can't have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So very specialChinadollDined on 7/13/2014My first impression when I entered the the restaurant was one of awe and surprise. It's been a long time since I've seen a restaurant so stunningly beautiful! The decor is serene, elegant and gorgeous. It matches the food in every way! The choices for the prix fix menu were varied and we had no problem deciding our appetizer, entree and dessert. My soup of sunchoke and peanut over a salad was unlike any I'd ever eaten. My entree, the rainbow trout, was very tasty and beautifully presented. I wasn't really interested dessert but my husband chose the chocolate brioche which he said was "heaven!" The service was impeccable and beyond any I have experienced recently in a restaurant. The staff seemed absolutely delighted to be waiting on us.Special Features:
- Great food, and atmospherepepsentDined on 7/3/2014The atmosphere is wonderful. The service and hospitality was above average. The raw bar is outstanding, however quite pricey. The salad was fresh and scrumptious. The soup was quite delicious. The entrees were very good, but the menu needs updating. Lots of wine to choose from. The bar needs to work on their cocktails. My wife was not pleased with her drink. She asked for very little alcohol, and even after a few attempts they could not get it right. She ordered a whiskey sour, and I suggested using more sour mix. But the waiter informed me they do not use sour mix.Special Features:
- DurhamVIPDined on 7/3/2014Always interesting food with sometimes really unexpected combinations. But always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over on price, average on qualityHere4theFoodDined on 7/2/2014The first disappointment started with the drinks menu. The beer list was just poor and the wine list looked like a local store's sale display with the cost per glass equaling to the store's per bottle. We started with the steak tartare, which was probably the highlight of the meal even if the charred bread was rubbery. The pickled melon with bread was a nice touch. We had the seabass and ribeye special. The fish was very good, but the bok choy was inedible and the foam was flavorless. The ribeye was cooked very well, but was buried under carrots and gruyere which didn't work. What they called polenta was a mystery. Overall, it wasn't bad, however you could get a better meal at a dozen other restaurants in Morristown for half the price.
- Service was terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/29/2014My wife, daughter and her friend and I went on a Sunday night for a "going away dinner" as we were leaving the state. They have a fixed three course meal so you would think that things are pretty straight forward. It was the worse service I have ever experienced and the place was almost empty. I think the waiter was more interested in the World Cup than in serving patrons. The food was okay but not as hot as it should be given the service levels. Very, very disappointing especially given that the place is priced like a higher quality venue. Treat this place like what it is, a hotel restaurant and nothing more.
- DinoDined on 6/27/2014The oysters were very fresh. Heard brunch there can be very good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experiencedineoutgrlDined on 6/19/2014I have wanted to try Blue Morel for awhile now having enjoyed several meals at Copeland. Took my mother there for her 85th birthday and was highly disappointed by the service. Let's just say that in a "fine dining" establishment the servers should tell customers about daily specials without being asked. They should also know how to describe the specials. And, oh yeah, know whether they were only lunch specials. And that was the beginning. Bad attitudes and other things I won't describe really ruined the evening. A shame because the food was very good. And I probably would have left the restaurant without saying anything but I and my mother had 35 minutes to ponder the experience after finishing our dessert and getting the check.
- Always a Top Notch MealDHawkDined on 6/14/2014Our third time eating at Blue Morel. We find the menu here to be delightfully diverse and imaginative. The food is exceptionally prepared with fresh and exciting ingredients and is always artistically plated. Our only complaint is that the serving staff does little to compliment the restaurant's exceptional menu to make this restaurant a truly upscale experience. Considering the prices... they should be able to train their staff better. Their service is slow and inattentive. The room is lovely but the temperature is consistently cool, so bring a jacket! Tables are too close together for an intimate experience. We come strictly for the food.Special Features:
- sportzfanDined on 6/10/2014Good food great ambience Would recommend it highly to othersSpecial Features:
- Morel ReviewGlitzDined on 6/9/2014The waiter was rather unaccomodating to food requests and impolite. His service was sluggish, at best. Our appetizers were scattered and lopsided on the plate with insufficient dressing and garnishings (I've ordered this same appetizer at every visit). The bread basket was received afterwards, yet only one piece was provided per variety. The tables next to us had full bins with two pieces each. As for the entrees, the chicken had a foul taste (also the same dish ordered last time) and the crab cakes had sand bits inside. To add insult to injury, the waiter brought out the wrong side dish, and upon exchanging it for the correct one, proceeded to charge for both--adamantly. Overall, it was an unpleasant experience which will surely be my lastSpecial Features:
- The following 457 reviews are from the Blue Morel fka Copeland reviews archive.
- Great meal/great valueGottsledDined on 6/1/2014Had another opportunity to dine at the Blue Morel and enjoy their Sunday evening prix fixe dinner. The food was outstanding. This prix fixe is outstanding value giving you 3 courses with many unusual options. This is is one of the best values in all of Morris County if not NJ!Special Features:
- Nice Birthday DinnerBobbyGDined on 5/31/2014Once again Blue Morel didn't disappoint. Beautiful place with exceptional service by Cathy. Food was excellent with the exception of my Tuna Tartar app. Seems the chef used the tuna from his spicy tuna roll to make the app. Way too hot and my mouth was on fire. The menu didn't say hot, so I was a bit surprised. On the other hand my crab cake was the best I ever had. Still love the place.Special Features:
- Great food in an unexpected place.DianeDined on 5/31/2014I took some out-of-town visitors here and we all follow a gluten-free diet. The food was fantastic, well-prepared, and tasted great. The server was knowledgeable about our gluten-free requests, but was definitely nowhere to be found at several points during the meal when we would have expected to see her/have been checked on. I'll be back for a special occasion as the food was definitely a lot better than my previous go-to, Huntley Tavern (which has been disappointing the last 2 or 3 times we've dined there).Special Features:
- Not a typical hotel restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/28/2014I was nervous when I arrived at the address and the restaurant was in a Westin hotel, but that nervousness ended as soon as I looked at the extensive and well-rounded wine list. After choosing a Sauvignon Blanc from Sancerre, we ordered the tuna tartar appetizer, which had the perfect amount of heat from fresh jalapeño. Along with our appetizer, we also received fresh pickled cucumber, rosemary infused olive oil, and a basket of assorted rolls and flatbreads. Our entrées were as artfully plated as any I've experienced and the sea bass and pan seared duck were cooked perfectly. Blue Morel is definitely on my must dine list and I'll be back the next time I'm in Jersey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service should be betterBufrportDined on 5/11/2014The food was lovely, especially the white asparagus soup. The wait in-between courses was way to long as well as to long to get our check. Perhaps there was no incentive as 20 percent tip was already added to our party of three.Special Features:
- Over Priced & Under Whelmed!eatmuchVIPDined on 5/11/2014I reserved weeks in advance for mothers day. Appeared to be a great Sunday brunch offered for $29, kids half of that. When they called to confirm I learned that it was a special 3 course meal for $59. Of course it was too late to find a new restaurant. The food was fine but not worth $59. And they charged my 12 year old the $59. Not going back.
- Disappointing Mother's Day BrunchScottNDDined on 5/11/2014We did our mother's day brunch here and were generally disappointed. It seemed like maybe it was a limited menu or something and lacked a lot of the items we saw on the online menu like lunch options and desserts. Honestly it seemed like a nice warm hotel breakfast and not what I expected for a "nicer" brunch.
- A 5 star place with no servicemaddocDined on 5/10/2014I felt like I was at a street fair sitting and waiting for service and food. Waitress was clueless.Took 10 minutes to get a menu, another 10 for a drink. Never got bread. Place was too loud to talk. Sat by the sushi bar and saw my app sit on the shelf for 20 minutes while I was starving and had no food. When she brought the app, 2 minutes later started rearanging my very small table to find a place for the main course!!Had to explain to her that we wanted to finish our app before the main course. Just a horrible experience.Special Features:
- Disappointinghappy2dineoutDined on 5/10/2014I knew it was a pricey spot having read the menu on line, what I did not expect was the lack of knowledge and service. The seafood platter was generous in size..however the waitress could not tell us anything about where any of the seafood was from…not even the oysters. When asked, she replied " from all over the place" Our service was very slow and uneven, part of our table was cleared, then the waitress left, cleared 2 other tables and then they finished us. Our platter to share, 3 entrees, ( the pork, crab cakes and steak, were fine, but nothing special) 2 glasses of pinot noir and a $48 bottle of white wine was $280. Pretty place, but a lot of money to spend for a very loud spot,with ok food and lousy service. Would not returnSpecial Features: