Blue Morel fka Copeland
2 Whippany Road
Morristown, NJ 07960Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Blue Morel fka Copeland
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluemorel.com/
- Phone: (973) 451-2619
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast 6:30am-10:30am Lunch Monday-Saturday 11:30am-2:30pm Dinner 5:30pm-10pm Sunday Brunch 12:00pm-2:30pm SUNDAY BRUNCH BUFFET - includes breakfast favorites, sensational entrees and tantalizing desserts with a glass of champagne, mimosa, blood mary, or a signature cocktail. Sunday Supper 4:00pm-9:00pm SUNDAY SUPPER - features a three course menu for $29 per person, 50% off select wines by the bottle, and allows guests to bring a special bottle from their own cellar at no corkage.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Takafuji
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Blue Morel Restaurant is located in the Westin Governor Morris which offers the most elegant space for business meetings, weddings and bar mitzvahs! Accommodating up to 400 guests, we would be happy to be at your service! Call David Lombardi to make arrangements for your occasion at 973.451.2611.
- Entertainment: Two wide screen TV's at the Wine Bar.
- Special Events: Blue Morel hosts a variety of special events including Scotch and winemaker dinners and tastings, wine educational series and number of others. Please call for information on upcoming events at 973.451.2619.
A word from Blue Morel fka Copeland
Blue Morel Restaurant and Wine Bar (Named Top 10 New Restaurants in U.S.) combines the finest seasonal ingredients from local, regional, organic and sustainable farms with the culinary creativity of Chef Thomas Ciszak and Chef Kevin Takafuji. Nestled in historic Morristown, New Jersey, Blue Morel creates a "Farm to Table" experience serving New American Cuisine, Sushi and a Seafood Raw Bar. Open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner and a buffet brunch is served on Sundays. Our new Sunday Supper features a three course menu for $29 per person. The Wine Bar offers more than 70 wines by the glass and half glass tastings and is available for receptions up to 25 people. For private dining, Blue Morel features the Wine Room, which seats up to 18 guests. For larger events, weddings and bar mitzvahs, elegant rooms are available to accomodate up to 400 guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blue Morel fka Copeland reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (25)fit for foodies (25)notable wine list (18)romantic (15)good for groups (13)great for lunch (8)neighborhood gem (5)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- Disappointing Mother's Day BrunchScottNDDined on 5/11/2014We did our mother's day brunch here and were generally disappointed. It seemed like maybe it was a limited menu or something and lacked a lot of the items we saw on the online menu like lunch options and desserts. Honestly it seemed like a nice warm hotel breakfast and not what I expected for a "nicer" brunch.
- A 5 star place with no servicemaddocDined on 5/10/2014I felt like I was at a street fair sitting and waiting for service and food. Waitress was clueless.Took 10 minutes to get a menu, another 10 for a drink. Never got bread. Place was too loud to talk. Sat by the sushi bar and saw my app sit on the shelf for 20 minutes while I was starving and had no food. When she brought the app, 2 minutes later started rearanging my very small table to find a place for the main course!!Had to explain to her that we wanted to finish our app before the main course. Just a horrible experience.Special Features:
- Disappointinghappy2dineoutDined on 5/10/2014I knew it was a pricey spot having read the menu on line, what I did not expect was the lack of knowledge and service. The seafood platter was generous in size..however the waitress could not tell us anything about where any of the seafood was from…not even the oysters. When asked, she replied " from all over the place" Our service was very slow and uneven, part of our table was cleared, then the waitress left, cleared 2 other tables and then they finished us. Our platter to share, 3 entrees, ( the pork, crab cakes and steak, were fine, but nothing special) 2 glasses of pinot noir and a $48 bottle of white wine was $280. Pretty place, but a lot of money to spend for a very loud spot,with ok food and lousy service. Would not returnSpecial Features:
- DinerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/8/2014We had diner while my child was in a school party Great food and serviceSpecial Features:
- We will be back!EatoutalotVIPDined on 4/26/2014Great food service and ambiance! Loved the squah and salmon the most!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so greatmotowndinerDined on 4/18/2014My husband and I dine here regularly and are typically happy with the food and service. However, our past two dining experiences have not been great due to the service. Appetizers and sides that were ordered arrived late or not at all, and cappuccinos took over a half hour to receive. On our most current visit, the waitress apologized and said slow service was due to two large parties that came in. Unacceptable excuse in my opinion. Will think twice about returning.Special Features:
- On the downhill slope nowOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/13/2014We've been loyal for years, starting with Copeland, through the name and minor name change. The food always good, if only rarely spectacular. But we kept going back for the large, airy, quiet dining room, the impeccable service with reliable dishes and good cocktail and wine choices. The adult, almost NYC choice in the Motwn bistro and bar scene. It's changed. Some food is quite good, some we've had in the past now mediocre (the crab cake with less than fresh ingredients, salad greens a little old), the wine list similar. It's the service that's gone. After 10 minutes, we had to flag a wait person. That continued throughout the meal. Slow to serve water and bread. Slow to find someone to take a drink order. Slow to get it. On and on.
- Best Crab CakelisaDined on 4/12/2014The Crab Cake was by far the best I have ever had...yes even better than the one I had in Maryland!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately the servicesallieVIPDined on 4/9/2014Unfortunately the service does not match the excellent food. The two usual waiters at lunch are arrogant, inattentive and bereft of proper service manners. It has been very irrating on more than one occasion, diminishing the dining experience. In fairness, I have dined alone at the bar for dinner before meetings and have found the bar staff to be professional, efficient, attentive and pleasant.I have now corresponded with manager complaining about the lunch service. I am going to give it one more try, but if things do not improve, I shall limit my patroage to suppers at the bar.it is a shame because the food is outstanding. ISpecial Features:
- while our overall dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2014while our overall dining experience was OK, our service was not up to the standards dictated by this type of restaurant. It took our server a long time to first approach our table and bring menus. The general manager actually was first over, and acted the sommelier, helping us chose wine. (He was very good). We had to ask for bread, I did not have a bread plate (all other tables had bread plates), and she didn't seem the least bit happy to wait on us. We probably won't make an effort to go there again. And a side note, the tables are too big, leaving me and my husband to "yell" across the expanse to have a conversation.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/3/2014Always Wonderful! great sitting at the bar for dinner - don't miss itSpecial Features:
- What happened?IrishWitchyVIPDined on 4/3/2014I was there last month and the sushi was great. The grilled shrimp roll was perfect and yummy. I go back last night and order the $34 "Ni" platter - two rolls(dragon and shrimp roll), 2 sashimi and 2 nigiri. Not sure what happen, but tuna wasn't great, eel a bit dry and both rolls that appeared on the platter weren't the right ones. I sent them back and I received the correct rolls. The dragon roll was great, the grilled shrimp was ok, but not as yummy as the first time. Server tried to take my friends food away with 3/4 of a filled plate - when I hadn't received my order yet. We had to literally get his hands off the plate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Morel - unexpectedly excellentRCP1VIPDined on 4/2/2014Really hit it w/ everything i tried: caesar salad, shrimp cocktail, swordfish (which is easy to screw up).Special Features:
- Service and food excellent InterestOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/30/2014Service and food excellent Interesting menu and great dessertsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably wonderfulMoofjoVIPDined on 3/26/2014Good menu. Excellent service. Food is good, fish is excellent. Lovely ambience. Nice to be outside in the warm weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PedestrianOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/21/2014After reading lots of write ups I was expecting a lot, I guess. But food was very pedestrian at best. I had the tuna tartare, it was a huge portion and was just ok, nothing spectacular. Our waitress told us that their sushi bar was better than any restaurant run by japanese chef, she obviously haven't had sushi in a real sushi restaurant. The wasabi that came with my husband spicy tuna roll was brown and not green, it was probably pre-portioned a few days ago. For mains, my husband had the crab cakes and they were good. I had the Korean Sirloin steak, the dish overall was too sweet, it was faux Korean, portion was big strange for a fine dining restaurant. Desert was my least favourite course, too sweet and taste is one dimensional.Special Features:
- Nice NightNastyVIPDined on 3/20/2014Quiet, great service, nice evening out....pleased as always with my experience here.Special Features:
- excellentlavflyVIPDined on 3/9/2014Fine 3 course dinner menu. Shrimp cocktail appetizers were gigantic and delicious. Ate at the bar. Fabulous service. And fantastic selection of wine some at 1/2 price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who knew?acpdVIPDined on 3/8/2014Passed this place 1000 times, finally went on Saturday night. Absolutely beautiful, restful decor, tables nicely spaced. Quiet and relaxing atmosphere. Service, was friendly, professional, and attentive.Menu had many options for all kinds of diners. Our table sampled several different choices from the sushi bar, all off the charts! Entrees of filet mignon, scallops, pork shanks, and lamb were all enjoyed enthusiastically! We were quite full, but managed to enjoy some sorberts and coffees for dessert. The wine list was extensive with excellent choices by the bottle and the glass. I would readily go back with friends, clients, or for a special occasion. Definitely a gem, right in my neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatvegetableman11VIPDined on 3/1/2014As usual Blue Morel fires on all cylinders. The food, the drinks, the staff and ambiance were spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- farm to table excellence!thewifeDined on 2/25/2014the food was outstanding, the ambiance was wonderful, and the staff was friendly and knowledgeable. sure to be a favorite for any locavore.Special Features:
- Won't Be Back - EverBMacDined on 2/22/2014The staff seemed capable of waiting on everyone around us but not us. We were seated and watched the wait staff tend to the table to our left and our right and not us. The table to the left was seated after us and we watched the waiter very attentively take their drink orders and then walk past us again… and again. So we got up and left.
- good food, wine list and service.vinofileDined on 2/12/2014good food, wine list and service. just a bit priceySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant diningMikeDined on 2/10/2014We enjoyed the dining experience, food and service. The staff were very cordial and attentive. One of the good signs of a good waiter, is I never noticed when they refilled the water glasses. I would come back, again and again.Special Features:
- Disappointing buffetPardonezmoiDined on 2/3/2014Blue Morel does a superb farm to table experience. So I was surprised and disappointed to find an overseasoned buffet waiting for us. To be fair, a sudden and severe snowstorm had interfered with the entire area - so many of their cook staff could not make it in. But I only discovered this when the waiter brought menus. Why didn't the maitre'd tell me upon arrival? Why didn't the bartender while I sat there for an hour? Indeed, why didn't they call or email since I was holding a reservation? The food was overseasoned and overplayed - and expensive for what we got. Not the experience I had hoped for as I introduced a work colleague for the first time to this spot.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have eaten here in the privateOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/31/2014I have eaten here in the private wine room during business meetings and I have always found the food to be very good and service excellent. I brought my wife and daughter for dinner and was extremely pleased. Food was excellent - every dish (tuna tartare, mushroom soup, oysters, sea bass -superb, and cheese plate) was right temp, flavourful and satisfying. Service was prompt and very professional - Zoe. I would have no hesitation in dining here again. We have visited most of the Morristown area dining spots and this is one of our top four. You get what you pay for. Cocktails before dinner, $65 bottle of sancerre, dessert - $120 pp tax and service included.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerdanyell923Dined on 1/31/2014Excellent dinner for 4 on a Friday night. Executive chef was visible multiple times during the night. Restaurant was busy but not crowded. Everything we ordered was delicious. We started with the beets, pork belly, east coast oysters and spicy tuna roll. the coffee dipping sauce on the beets was a nice change from the norm. The tuna roll was fresh and quite spicy. The oysters were incredibly fresh and left us wanting more. The pork belly was tender and juicy. For dinner, we had lamb loin, which was tender and cooked perfectly, the duck breast which had a wonderful smokey flavor and paired well with the fried rice, Bay scallops with barley risotto, fresh and creamy, and the beef filet, which my BIL ate so fast we didn't have time to share.Special Features:
- Amazing Seafood TowerDbearzVIPDined on 1/31/2014The Seafood Tower is the biggest i have eaten. The food was very good and the pretzel logs are outstanding. Nice overall night def. will return.
- Great experience-would do it againCraigDined on 1/18/2014I was a little nervous based upon some of the reviews that we read prior to our visit, but was pleasantly surprised. This is not an inexpensive dining experience. We were able to find excellent Duckhorn wines for $64 a bottle and enjoyed the 2-tier raw bar tower for our table of 4 as an appetizer. Entrees were excellent. The waitress was originally pushing to get us moving with our orders, but once we let her know that we would not be rushed, all was fine.Special Features:
- Is it worth it?LernerwnDined on 1/11/2014Great food and higher prices for a special occasion but service for such a fine establishment were lacking. We expect more for that cost as well as the birthday candle they "forgot."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fooddavidpDined on 1/11/2014Returned to Blue Morel for a second meal, hoping the food would be as good as the first time. It was. 1/2 dozen oysters (3 different kinds), followed by a Korean-style sirloin (recommended by our knowledgeable waiter) for me, crabcake followed by salmon (fantastic) for my wife. Capped it off with a chocolate brioche, a fresh alternative to the molten chocolate cake served (almost) everywhere else. Only hiccup was time it took for 1st drink order and bread to arrive. After that, smooth sailing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedGoodFoodBuffDined on 1/7/2014I had heard great things about this restaurant so I decided to take my husband for his birthday. The restaurant is inside a beautiful hotel. The restaurant is nice and great ambiance. However, the service was lousy, very pricey for the amount of food they give. My husband's meal was very tasty (steak) but I ordered the chicken breast and I didn't like it at all. It had a weird taste so needless to say I had very little of my meal. The waitress was so unfriendly and didn't even say thank you. I was very disappointed with the food and even moreso when I received the bill.
- Third year in a row we havedebski22VIPDined on 12/31/2013Third year in a row we have come for NYEve prix fixe- top notch experience through and through - always delivers! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Inventive Food but 2 misstepsbobcatDined on 12/31/2013Had an early dinner on New Years Eve from the regular menu. For appetizers, the crab cake was very good, the tuna tartar was excellent and the pork bell was outstanding. Unfortunately, the sea scallop entree, ordered by 2 of the diners, was overly salted in both orders. I had this dish before, and it was perfectly seasoned and well executed. Pairing sunchoke puree, sauteed kale, raisins and almonds with the scallops is very clever and works quite well. The second misstep was of all things the coffee. The Hawaiian coffee came in a french press and was weak. It brewed long enough so I think not enough coffee grinds. Also the press looked as if it was set up wrong. Nonetheless,everything else was great and I will certainly come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early Bird New Year's EveMillburnDined on 12/31/2013Very comfortable experience. Food overworked and strangely over spiced. Plates looked beautiful but too many ingredients --- reaching for artistry not flavor --- e.g., mushroom soup had no taste but a lot of "drama" in presentation. The best part of the evening was that the coat check person spotted my pin (family heirloom!) that had come off my sweater on the floor near her station. I was able to drive back Jan 1st to retrieve it. Thank you.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ate their Christmas DinnersustainabledietDined on 12/25/2013Ate their Christmas Dinner meal. Exquisitely tasty and great presentation on plate. Service personnel were very slow and lax in their attitude. Had to ask for bread and butter. Soup brought with no spoon, etc. However, the leisurely pace was quite nice for Christmas day when we wanted slow service. The fixed price meal selection was excellent, and clearly the kitchen staff was very competent. Three separate dishes were fantastic and delicious. The deserts were to die for. Will go again for a special occasion. There was real value for the money!Special Features:
- Excellent Christmas Day Prix FixeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/25/2013There are not many good restaurants open on Christmas night, but my wife and I are certainly glad Blue Morel was. They offered a 3-course prix fixe menu for $59 and I have to say that it was outstanding. There were enough options in each category to satisfy any diner and both the quality and quanitty were high. The wine list was good, with some nice variety by the glass. All three courses were very good (for entrees we had Chilean Sea Bass and Salmon that they were wonderful) and we could barely finish the desserts. Overall, the service was good, but the woman who served us was outstanding, especially for having to work on Christmas night. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!PrystaukDined on 12/25/2013We had an enjoyable Christmas dinner. The prices were set for that evenings meal, yet some of the course offerings called for additional money from the guests - that was tacky and cheapened the experience. However, thanks to Jess, the chef easily accommodated our gluten-free requirements.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, respectable servicephausmDined on 12/25/2013Food is superlative! Portions vary, but most are just right. To me its a pleasant change not to leave a great restaurant stuffed to the gills. If you expect quantity, this isn't the place for it. It's about quality not quantity. Wine list is long and of reasonable quality, although I think a bit over priced for the selection. I went for a special family dinner with my wheelchair bound mom. Staff was extremely respectful. My only caveat would be not to go here if you're in a hurry. I suppose you're supposed to take your time and anticipate, then enjoy the food. But I don't see a lot of value in sitting and "anticipating" the bill at the end of the evening. That said, if you have the time, Blue Morel offers an excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- christmas dinnerjrzygirlDined on 12/25/2013Great service Relaxed atmosphere Excellent dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.