Blue Mermaid - Argonaut Hotel
471 Jefferson Street
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Blue Mermaid - Argonaut Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://bluemermaidsf.com/
- Phone: 4157712222x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Sunday - Saturday: 7:00am - 10:30am; Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Steven Connolly
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please feel free to Contact our Director of Catering Jordan Nimura at (415) 345-5552.
- Special Events: July 30 - August 5th: Visit us under the main tent at Union Square for 2012's SF Chef week! For more information visit http://sfchefsfoodwine.com/
August - October: The America's Cup Trials begin in late August along the famous San Francisco Waterfront! Watch this space for upcoming events and special offers during the Cup!
October 4th-8th: Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird, it's a plane...It's Fleet Week! Get up close to the action on the Blue Mermaid patio for one of the most popular weekends in San Francisco. For information visit http://www.fleetweek.us/
A word from Blue Mermaid - Argonaut Hotel
Serving casual San Francisco fare and a large helping of Gold Rush Era ambiance, the Blue Mermaid Chowder House & Bar makes its home in the heart of Fisherman's Wharf. A menu, priced for the whole family, features fresh seafood with a regional focus and a great kids' menu. Diners will find distinctive homemade chowders served from steaming cauldrons in three different size bowls, including a traditional bread bowl. Also offered are such savory selections as Fresh Oysters on the Half Shell, Whole Dungeness Crab and Cioppino. A full bar specializes in a wide selection of beer and California wines, Irish Coffee and ocean-themed cocktails... guaranteed to promote mermaid sightings. Come in and listen for the siren songs of the legendary Blue Mermaid.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blue Mermaid - Argonaut Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (15)good for groups (15)kid-friendly (14)great for lunch (14)neighborhood gem (11)great for brunch (11)fit for foodies (9)special occasion (9)romantic (5)scenic view (4)notable wine list (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- Good food, service a bit lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014The food was good. Loved the chowders. Our waiter said he'd bring bread, then forgot and we finally asked when our main dishes arrived. My ciopinno came with no utensils for cracking the crab and no dish for disposing of the shells. The server put the plates on the table and disappeared before we could get a word out and our waiter managed to walk by without looking our way. We finally had to call the hostess to ask for bread, utensils and a dish. So it was ok but with all the choices on the wharf I am not sure I'd go again.Special Features:
- A find in Fisherman's WharfOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/22/2014It isn't easy to find good food in this neighborhood, but the Blue Mermaid does a really nice job balancing a relatively casual atmosphere with service that is more what you'd find in a white tablecloth sort of place and food that is creatively prepared and delicious. Don't miss the California Clam Chowder and the Cioppino. If you can't afford a night at Gary Danko's and you are tired of the other fish places that crank out assembly line food, give Blue Mermaid a try! I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised like we were.Special Features:
- Best dining experience in Bay Area!TomskaalDined on 8/5/2014Thank you for a wonderful dinner! The roasted Crab was excellent and the service was the best on the west coast!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2014Unfortunately they were out of several items we wanted to order and this was explained away with - it was Sunday night. I am not sure that is a reason. The food we did get was tasty, the server polite and the place was casual enough that even after a day being tourists that we were comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcessiveSuperZDined on 7/17/2014Quickly and efficiently served, and very tasty. however far over-priced for the portions served.Special Features:
- Bread BowlFoodAficionadoDined on 7/11/2014Good clam chowder. Drinks and service were average. Should have been better given how few customers at the time.Special Features:
- Don't miss it !kelandjimDined on 7/9/2014We were so pleasantly surprised by this little, charming restaurant. We stopped in for lunch and were greeted with smiles and quickly seated. We chose to eat in the outside dining area. Our waiter, from Ireland, was cute and charming. Food, service and ambiance were perfect! Thank you so much we will certainly make this our stop when visiting San Francisco again.Special Features:
- Great Location, But.......foodyJDAVIPDined on 7/5/2014Great location, great place, menu is misleading, Fish n Chips were breaded not beer battered, Beet salad was missing the beets, the chowder was awesome, adding shrimp to a salad was $13.00 for 5 shrimp, too many other options in the area for me to go back here.
- Not great valueOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014Food was just okay (fish and chips, chowder), nothing special. We stayed in the hotel so tried it out one night. About the same as other Fisherman's Wharf places, you pay a lot for mediocre food. Worth the 5-10min walk to North Beach or Polk street for great local restaurants.Special Features:
- 4th July funozzieDined on 7/4/2014Booked online from Oz and met up with fellow travelling friends for the 4th July.So glad I booked, !! Table, food, ,service and ambience exceptionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at the Blue MermaidOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/3/2014Had a wonderful bowl of chowder at the Blue Mermaid. Seated quickly, excellent service, delicious food. Such a wonderful experience that we returned the next day.Special Features:
- Best Corn Crab Chowder Ever!AndiODined on 6/26/2014This is a historic building that houses this restaurant, and the atmosphere is rustic, quiet (when we were there, it wasn't extremely busy), and the server was amazing. The food was delicious and perfectly cooked. The corn chowder was the best I have had with great flavor. The crab cakes were delicious and perfectly cooked. The potato fingerlings were the best I have had, and the skins literally popped when you bit into them, which made for an amazing foodie experience!Special Features:
- AwesomeNorthyDined on 6/14/2014Great restaurant, right in the middle of all the action. Greeted and Seated in seconds and introduced to your server. The Clam & Crab Chowder is Amazing, selection of Entrees are good. Only issue is they tried to rush from starters to main, less than 2 minutes after we were served Our Chowder they than said are you ready for your meal, then left it under the heat! Apart from that, it was a lovely meal and I would recommend anyone in the Fishermans Wharf area to give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good TimesOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/9/2014Great Chowder and the waiter took good care of us.Special Features:
- Tasty and AccommodatingTarpaulinCoveDined on 5/18/2014We had a graduation brunch planned for 16 out of town guests last weekend. As plans and number of guests changed, management was extremely accommodating and helpful. I received a phone call in advance asking whether I preferred a table inside or out on their terrace. Even as our guests straggled in, the hostess was gracious as we were all seated. While the food cannot be called gourmet, it was fresh, tasty, well proportioned and attractively plated. Our guests praised the chowders in particular. Service was attentive and quick. The decor has an updated, jaunty nautical theme. While not memorable in itself, it fits well with the Argonaut Hotel's shipdeck styled lobby. The location on Fisherman's Wharf was a plus for our out-of-towners.Special Features:
- Favorite!MimiDined on 5/17/2014We come here every time we are in San Francisco. The food is consistently delicious and the ambience is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food at Fisherman's Wharfham12Dined on 5/17/2014Competing with a lot of choices in the area, they have good food in a convenient location for those staying at the hotel. The seafood dinners were tasty and breakfast was quite delicious as well. Service was okay; waiters were pleasant. The atmosphere was more casual than expected for being connected to such a wonderful boutique hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mermaid OK and ConvenientHappyWolfDined on 5/11/2014We had breakfast at Blue Mermaid twice just because it was so convenient at the Argonaut Hotel where we stayed. We would have much preferred to go to Mama's or another special breakfast place but couldn't make it. Blue M was just OK. Had the crab benedict. The waiter the first day as surely and didn't want to talk unless he had to. The waiter the second day was fun, friendly and helpful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- HuongDined on 5/10/2014Good place to eat and good service. I all way be back Blue Mermaid rest. when I was in town!Special Features:
- Blue Mermaid Chowder HouseAaltoDined on 5/10/2014Their Crab & Corn Chowder is the BEST! My husband & I drive ofter from the South Bay just to have the Chowder!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 211 reviews are from the Blue Mermaid - Argonaut Hotel reviews archive.
- Great selection of chowdersIlikeithotDined on 4/19/2014I came here specifically because they offered a selection of different chowders and I was not disappointed. I had the Manhattan clam chowder and it was excellent. I ordered a salad to go with it and the dressing was light and tasty. Although it was pretty cool in the evening, they do have outside dining which would have been perfect in the afternoon.Special Features:
- Great for being a touristTrevorDined on 4/8/2014I like the idea of the Blue Mermaid. Great name and it is attached to an amazing hotel. I didn't even mind that there wasn't a view because the old building is so cool. I was not ready for so much fried seafood. It seems that menu is a carbon copy of every seafood place along on any coast. Calamari, shrimp, clams, and fish doesn't always have to be fried. There are so many ways to make seafood without it tasting like a mouth full of flour and oil. If you are going to have a burger on the menu make it amazing. This is a great place to take kids and the service is fantastic.Special Features:
- Nice surprise near Hyde Street Piernite2dineVIPDined on 3/31/2014Located in the Argonaut Hotel across from the Hyde Street Pier, near the Maritime Museum, cable car turn-around and Fisherman's wharf. We enjoyed fresh Tilapia and Clams Linguine and salad for lunch. The service was good, and they even offered us a free appetizer or dessert because we made reservations on OpenTable. Parking in garages and at meters is expensive, but there is free 2 hour street parking a few blocks up the hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual and ClassyGGinSFDined on 3/26/2014Went to the Blue Mermaid recently and loved it! Was looking for a casual little spot with great drinks and found it. The food was great but the cocktails were delicious! Our waiter was energetic and funny but also friendly. Would definitely go back. Was only surprised that the cost was a little high but hey, it's on the Wharf.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great!! Our ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/19/2014The food was great!! Our Server was wonderful. Will definetly be back!!!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue MermaidMichaelWDined on 3/16/2014Although there were plenty of other options my wife and I could not find a good reason eat breakfast or dinner at another restaurant during our weekend in San Francisco on Fisherman's Wharf. The eggs were poached perfectly and hollandaise sauce was excellent on the eggs benedict and crab cake benedict. We thoroughly enjoyed our Saturday and Sunday night's dinners of tilapia, cioppino and scallops. The staff was friendly and attentive. We'll definitely be back during our next visit to San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hotel restaurantBob1VIPDined on 3/9/2014Located in Argonaut Hotel across from cable car turnaround. Pretty typical hotel eatery--okay for lunch but nothing special.
- Mediocre birthday :(OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014I took my husband here for his birthday since he LOVES clam chowder so I thought we should try someplace new. The food was good although a bit overpriced for the amount we got. My husband and I also had the drunken sailor and it just tasted like watered down citrus drink for $12. The chowder was delicious but our waiter was lacking in providing us with good service at one point we had a bunch of empty glasses no water and empty plates just sitting there in our way. He was nice but simply lacked the essentials. The hostess was much better at meeting our needs and was much more energetic. With that being said it was just ok so I wouldn't recommend this place to a friend.
- mehneedbigpantsVIPDined on 3/4/2014nothing in particular to recommend about this place. Even the corn chowder it proudly claims with banners outside are done better at a dozen other places. No scene. Service competent but not terribly interested...
- Seafood!Ace3636Dined on 2/15/2014We were married at the arganaut hotel a couple years ago, and blue mermaid provided the catering. Fast forward to a couple days ago where we had a valentines dinner there. Food was still really good. The chowders are some of the best we've ever had (as befits the name of the restaurant). My wife had the linguini and clams, and I had the crab roll. Both were excellent. It's not a romantic candle-lit dinner atmosphere, but more of a cozy bar type. Good for groups too. Should be tried at least once.Special Features:
- Its Ok. We got a chowder samplerRips241Dined on 2/14/2014Its Ok. We got a chowder sampler and they were all terrific. Really good. But, her scallops were not good and she returned them and opted for my fish and chips. Ate dinner and breakfast here. Overall its a nice place, nothing special.I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco JewelTybeelifeDined on 2/4/2014We chose this location because it was convenient. The food was very good as well as the service. The Chowders were great. I had the flight of 3 chowders and all were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyGazzaDined on 2/3/2014Absolutely a wonderful place to relax and enjoy great food and drink. Staff were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing bad but nothing fantasticJulieBDined on 2/1/2014The food was fine but nothing that was great or memorable. We moved our table three times as we were near the large wood doors and every time it opened, the cold San Francisco air rushed in to join us at our table. The restaurant environment is all great wood but that means that noise bounces off of the hard surfaces and it is very loud. Scallops were good.....fish and chips were not so good..... The evening was still a good evening but I think I would rather have gone elsewhere for dinner and stopped by here for a beer at the bar. Hostess was delightful....waiter was attentive....the staff deserves a shout out for their support as we moved tables. We watched them deal with some difficult customers and they were professional and respectful.
- Fun Birthday brunchChrisDVIPDined on 2/1/2014Spent a perfect hour there. Bloody Mary was perfect, took lots of pictures of it! Sat on the deck, just a nice, scenic place with music from a good street artist wafting through. It was casual yet good food. Am a big fan of Kimpton's would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Flavor needs a punchKhaleesiandcompanyDined on 1/25/2014This location is so prime, and the reputation good, so we thought we were in for an amazing meal. It was okay, but the salmon had no flavor, and the three fingerling potatoes given with the gluten free meal were dry and tasteless. The cocktail was delicious, and the server was energetic, but we were hoping to be wowed by the meal and weren't.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerShirleyDined on 1/19/2014Had a group of 8. Several in the group were late but the staff said it was no problem. food was very good and presentation was very nice. All agreed that we would come back again.Special Features:
- The food was only average.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/29/2013The food was only average. The supposedly award winning crab and corn chowder was bland and had very little crab. The service was terrible. I was sorry that I wasted a meal in San Francisco on this place.
- Great crab LouisEllynjdDined on 12/28/2013Really enjoyed the crab louis salad. Very fresh and delicious. Not a huge portion but satisfied my appetite. Setting is perfect for the area of fishermans wharf, casual and rustic but also comfortable. We were there on a cold evening and with the high wooden ceilings it was a little chilly for me, but after having been in Hawaii for a couple of weeks it could have been my thinned blood... And what place isn't cool in the middle of winter in SF? Husband had great, juicy burger and garlic fries, also delicious. So a great wharf restaurant that isnt as crazy as the bustling spots right on the wharf.I would recommend this to a friend.
- mermaid love.ak2013Dined on 12/28/2013Parmasan encrusted scallops. The best in the world. We spread the mermaid love by bringing someone new with us every time we visit. We have come for several birthday dinners as well as lunch with family. Best Chowder. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.