Blue Mango Restaurant
222 Glenwood Ave
Raleigh, NC 27603Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Blue Mango Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://bluemangoraleigh.com/
- Phone: 9193222760
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Sita Khosla
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Blue Mango Restaurant
Indian Cuisine which has been taken to the next level in the hands of Chef Sita Khosla.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blue Mango Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (17)special occasion (17)romantic (14)good for groups (13)neighborhood gem (11)great for lunch (6)hot spot (5)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- TisseDined on 10/7/2014Excellent venue for those that enjoy true Indian food. Chef is brillant and service is really good.Special Features:
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014The food was excellent, the servers were friendly, and the leftovers tasted even better the next day!Special Features:
- Very good food in good decorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We have eaten at Blue Mango several times. The food has always been of excellent flavor and taste sensations. We have enjoyed meat, chicken and goat entrees. Appetizers are always good. Wine menu is broad. We recommend to friends and acquaintances.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try this place!WayneLeeDined on 8/23/2014We went during Raleigh Restaurant Week to try something different. Both our meals were very good, and service was excellent.Special Features:
- Restaurant week?MaygardenerDined on 8/21/2014Our waiter didn't know it, dissuaded us from thinking about it. After showing him the menu on line and asking about a specific dish, he got a manager. I ordered a specific salad at his recommendation, asked if the tomatos were fresh...assured me they were....they were not....shippped from a gadzillion miles away, pale and tasteless (in peak tomato season). Food was ok. They wete not promoting restaurant week!
- Great evening outJj1981Dined on 8/15/2014We went to Blue Mango for my birthday dinner. This is truly a great restaurant. Finding great Indian food in Raleigh can be tricky, but this place hits the spot. The food is fresh and very tasty. I don't love spicy food, so I was glad to find that the chef will cook your food how you like it - mild to hot. The staff her are very knowledgeable about the food. We met the chef and the owner who both gave us many free samples to try and a complementary desert as it was my birthday. Great variety of drinks with a beautiful bar area. We will certainly return!Special Features:
- Great diningjgaspipeDined on 8/9/2014Overall, very pleased with the entire experience. The waiter was very patient with us and helped explain the different menu items. We will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must try this.....OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/5/2014This was our first visit to this restaurant and we were pleasantly surprised. The food and service were excellent. Will definitely return. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- The following 169 reviews are from the Blue Mango Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great experienceLuvRestaurantWeekDined on 6/4/2014I visited for the first time during restaurant week, during which several off-menu entrees were offerred. The waiter was helpful and prepared some delicious cocktails. Our group of three tried three different appetizers and three different main dishes, all from the restaurant week menu. All were exceptional. The surprise favorite was a cauliflower appetizer that was cooked in an amazing chili glaze with tomatoes. We will definitely return to try some of the dishes from the main menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekTandCDined on 6/3/2014So my wife and I went Tuesday of restaurant week. Very few people were there. The hostess barely managed a smile and quickly removed two extra place settings with no note of being pleased we were there. The waiter was very nice but not trained whatsoever. He could not explain the menu. Only one Taj Majal beer was in the fridge, we were never offered another. All three courses HAD to be ordered at one time. One of the ONLY two dessert choices was deemed unavailable, we assume because there were not enough customers there to justify making the other. The poor waiter must have apologized 10 times during our dinner. The actual food was tasty and we enjoyed it. We won't be back.
- Lunch during Restaurant WeekEatLovethenEatAgainDined on 6/3/2014My husband, baby, and I enjoyed the food. I loved the ambiance because it was quiet at the time of our lunch. Our server was knowledgeable and patient.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014Our server was somewhat too attentive and several times we were brought another table's meals.
- It was okayEatflyDined on 5/17/2014The restaurant itself was very nice and so were the servers. The good was good but nothing spectacular. The flavor were a bit on the bland side and the food was on the cooler side temperature wise. We ordered everything 3 hot and they were not spicy at all. Overall I don't think we will return.
- always superbwarussoDined on 5/13/2014One of the top two,if not the top Indian restaurant in the Triangle. And one of the top 10 period.Special Features:
- Indian with AmbiancekperegoyDined on 5/11/2014While I can't say the food was out of this world, it was really good, apart from the desert (mango ice cream - VERY small portion, had hard bits in it, mango clearly was not ripe), the restaurant space is beautiful, and makes for a romantic evening. I also really enjoyed the clear glass wall separating the dining space from the dinner space - you can observe all that is going on without the added noise of a completely open concept. I would definitely eat here again.Special Features:
- Favorite Restaurant in RaleighOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014Become a regular at this restaurant, you won't be sorry. Every time I come in, I am greeted by the wonderful hostess with a smile and a hug. Everyone seems genuinely excited to see you. The chef spoils our table, every time we come in, with wonderful extra goodies and treats. He always comes out to check on everyone to make sure everything is to their liking. Since their opening I have continued to bring friends to this restaurant just to have them fall in love too.Special Features:
- Amazing every time!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/24/2014My wife and I live in SC, but visit Raleigh often. Blue Mango has become an absolute MUST anytime we are in town. Each visit is as wonderful as the last. The food is sensational, some of the best I've had anywhere in the country. The restaurant is beautiful and the service is outstanding. Do yourself a favor and make a reservation. It will quickly become your new favorite place!
- Anniversary dinnerLiturgicalDined on 4/19/2014I found Blue Mango through open table. I read the reviews and I took the good with the bad. It was between a steakhouse or Mantra. The steakhouses didn't have much of a selection of chicken dishes as my husband doesn't eat beef or pork. As we were driving we passed Mantra and I said no. So we got to Blue Mango and we were seated as soon as we got there. Our waitress was GREAT! She took great care of us as it was our first time. We had plenty of food, more than enough for the both of us. We are definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014We had a mix up with the level of spiciness, one person got food that was way too spicy, the other too mild. Kitchen apologized and sent new entires.Special Features:
- Our experience at blue mangoGuruDined on 4/17/2014We enjoyed our lunch here with family. Food and service are equally good. Nice ambience. Quality of the food is good. The order quantity could be improved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT food and SERVICEfunnydinerDined on 4/11/2014The food was phenomenal! The servers were all knowledge about the menu. The best thing is that the chef came out to see how we were enjoying our food. It was amazing. If you are ever in the Raleigh NC area, this place is a must! I will be definitely dining here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience here at BluefoodieDined on 4/11/2014Great experience here at Blue Mango! Ordered the Surf and Turf and it was outstanding! There were also cocktails involved. .ordered the XOXO made with Patron XO bartender made it to perfection! Ambiance was very comfortable with fashion twist. Waiter really knew the menu especially for first time guest who never had Indian food, he also recommended some night spots which was a plus! Really enjoyed myself! Next time in Raleigh be sure to check them out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for Dinner with my husband,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/5/2014Went for Dinner with my husband, we have been looking for a good Indian restaurant. Loved the Blue Mango! To our surprise the restaurant was extremely quiet which at first made us a little nervous, but the food was delicious, I had the apricot chicken curry which was awesome and you could also choose the level of spiciness which I liked. Server was efficient and friendly, liked the ambience of the place and would definitely eat there again. Great location also.Special Features:
- Great Indian FoodWolfpackbrandiVIPDined on 3/22/2014The food was great! The service was okay. Really great lunch special. would go back again.Special Features:
- Great food at great valueJoJoDined on 3/10/2014I was there for lunch and was amazed at how much food was included with the lunch entree. There were several lunch "specials" to choose from: seafood, lamb, chicken, veggie; and all came with soup or salad, rice and naan. And there was plenty to box and take home! I have not been for dinner so not sure it would be the same value, but the food is great. It's hard to find really good Indian food in Raleigh - this is the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food, subpar serviceastridVIPDined on 3/1/2014Having had Indian food in MANY establishments, this might be the best Indian food I've had at a restaurant in the US. The flavors were amazing and every bit delicious!!! The service was HORRIBLE! The server may have been the only one in the whole restaurant and bless his heart was LITERALLY running back and forth practically tossing the dishes on your table and running away before you could say anything. They did make my daughter's dish pretty spicy even though I said no spice (she's 7) but it was soooo good and they did bring us yogurt to help. There was no way I was asking to bring out another serving less spicy as the first took quite a long time. when I asked if they could call us a cab, she said cabs didn't come there?!Special Features:
- New IndianOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/28/2014While not every dish is true to its Indian roots, they were all very good. Nice flavors, excellent breads.
- Twice in two weeksklyjenDined on 2/26/2014A colleague recommended Blue Mango a week ago, and a group of us visited and enjoyed it immensely. The wine selection is great, the food is good, the portions are average (not huge) and the service is good as well. We enjoyed it enough to return the following week with a group of 12 people. I would definitely go back again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible food/serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Food was extremely cold and tasteless. Service was bad as well.
- Bad serviceBradDined on 2/15/2014The main problem was abysmally slow service. We had been to this restaurant before and our waiter was a might forgetful We decided to give it a second chance. Our waitress this time took 15 minutes to come introduce herself, and another 10 before coming back to take our order. She then disappeared and was nowhere to be found. When she came back with the food she promised to bring us plates to eat off of, but forgot. When I finally resorted to eating off of my appetizer plate my food was cold, and I made a mess of the table. My lamb Vindaloo had all of 3 pieces of lamb in it, which is small even for Indian restaurant standards. I'm usually pretty easy going, and this is the first time I've written a negative review of a restaurant,
- Blue Mango is a small restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Blue Mango is a small restaurant and the food was great. Our table was available as researved, or only complaint was the sense of being rushed as we dined. I totally understood the need to move guest in and out of the restaurant but when you have large parties "Owner" it is okay to allow the small groups and couples to enjoy their meals as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible!!!DisappointedDined on 2/14/2014Made the opentable reservation for 9pm. Arrived at 8:40pm, stood at the front, which was crowded with other displeased patrons who stated they had reservations and had waited for at least 30 minutes past their reservation time. It was at least 7 minutes before being greeted. The woman that greeted us did not take our name, instructed us to just wait at the bar, which was over crowded and could not seat 1. We went next door for a drink and returned at 9:05pm. Stood again for 10 minutes before being greeted again, was then sat at a 6 person table (there were 2 of us). Sat there for 15 minutes and not a single person came to our table for an order of any kind. After 5 more minutes, we got up and left and were immediately seated@PLATES
- Shockingly Bad Customer Service!kandcfoodiesDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I went for Valentine's Day dinner. We couldn't find a hostess at first, then a couple minutes later, a woman lackadaisically walks up and we tell her we're here for our 9:00 reservation. She gestures for us to look at their jam-packed dining area, and points out there are no free tables because it's Valentine's Day. My husband & I, confused, remind her that that's why we made a reservation. It was like she had no concept of what a reservation is. We were so annoyed. We spoke to the manager who was slightly more understanding, but never apologized for the inconvenience. We did end up getting the next free table even though others with reservations were apparently waiting longer (squeaky wheel). Food was good, waiter was great.Special Features:
- Very DissapointingSEAstVIPDined on 2/14/2014Chose Blue Mango as Valentines venue, as we go there reasonably regularly & most times its quiet, so thought it would be nice to enjoy it on an energetic night ! Arrived 8.45 & the place was packed, we were told (in no uncertain fashion !) to go to the bar where we waited for about 30 minutes with a drink and no sign of a table being offered - we eventually grabbed a seat at the bar & waited again, no table - then we ordered food - our order was forgotten & we ended up getting our food at 10.45 two hours after entering restaurant - when the food came it was much hotter than ordered & not even the right meat type. So all in all a very disapointing experience in a retsurant we enjoy going to - no real apologies other than from the barman
- What happened ?!?!CarlVIPDined on 2/14/2014Don't know if they overbook or what. But It seemed that they either way overbooked or were wildly understaffed on Valentines evening. If you can't seat and serve within half an hour - don't take a reservation ( week in advance ). Since I'm in the doghouse for being critical , let's just get it all out there. To the hostess/manager whom came from Azitra. Relax. Your stress/anger is palpable enough to make dining, much less digesting, a bit more difficult. Not a huge issue this evening being that we are 45 minutes after seated and were starving. Food : very good. In the future, I'm sticking to take out.
- Worst service everFoodieVIPDined on 2/14/2014Had a reservation. Was sent to bar. Waited 1 hour. Hostess forgot about us so we ate at the bar. Couple next to us walked out w/o paying their bill they were so mad. Food is good but service STINKS!Special Features:
- Food was good. They had overbookedTarheeOnePuttDined on 2/14/2014Food was good. They had overbooked for Valentine's Day and we waited 15 minutes to get our "reserved table". Then it was 30-40 minutes before first course served. In my opinion, they were overbooked and understaffed. The food was good.Special Features:
- Not so hot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/7/2014Although we had reservations, we were given the choice of sitting at a table just inside the door, which was uncomfortably cold and drafty, or at a small round table in the corner by the bar which would have been impossible to eat at. If the restaurant was full it would have been okay, but even when we finished our meal there were still many open tables. The chicken tiki masala was rather bland, and luke warm, which may have been because our location was so cold and drafty. And I have never been in an Indian restaurant where you have to actually pay for bread! Our waiter was very nice and helpful but the hostess left a lot to be desired. I would not go back to this restaurant. The only good thing was the décor.
- The service was great andHananDined on 2/7/2014The service was great and food came out quickly . The food was very fresh and they have some of the best naan I've ever had!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not honor reservationjiltedDined on 1/25/2014We had reserved a table for lunch for 3 pm during Restaurant Week. When we walked in they said they were closed from 2:30-5:00. I protested that we made reservations which are supposed to input us into their seating computer. They didn't care.