75 Washington Place
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluehillfarm.com/
- Phone: 2125391776
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm -11:00pm; Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Dan Barber, Chef/Co-Owner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
A word from Blue Hill
Located in a Land-Marked old "Speakeasy" right off of Washington Square Park in the heart of Greenwich Village. Blue Hill restaurant opened at the end of April 2000. Blue Hill is dedicated to creating a new category of neighborhood restaurant that maintains the classic attributes of warmth and affordability, while delivering superior food and service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Blue Hill - Best Restaurants in West Village ›
Blue Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
206 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (151)special occasion (150)romantic (108)notable wine list (71)neighborhood gem (68)hot spot (10)late-night find (6)good for groups (2)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Blue Hill has really lost it.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/29/2014We've been dining at Blue Hill for years; among their best customers, we've been told. However, we went last night, and much had changed. Nothing was as good as it normally is. They've stopped making fresh bread. They no longer have an a la carte menu, and the prix-fixe is sorely lacking. They certainly should have informed their regulars of these changes. Frankly, their food has never really been exceptional. It was a convenience, as we live around the corner. The food is boring, and the staff is pretentious. There are too many good restaurants in NYC to put up with this. It's just a tourist trap in a basement now. Ciao, Blue Hill.
- A NYC staple.NYC1Dined on 8/28/2014Blue Hill has been around for a while, and for good reason. It's a solid dining experience, and a nice diversion from all the trendy, overpriced restaurants in town. The quality of the ingredients is what distances Blue Hill from the pack. The preparation is solid, and mostly memorable. It would be nice to see the menu offer a little more diversity, but even without, dinner at Blue Hill is always something to look forward to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Emphasis on quality and tasteOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/27/2014The ingredients are selected for taste even down to the knowledge of the seeds from which they are grown. I had the Sampler for $98. Four different amuse bouche were served. They were great. The very first dish was a variety of tomatoes in a broken vinegrette (bone marrow) with a hint of cheese. Each kind of tomato was absolutely scrumptious. I hated for it to end. The beef dish of 3 different cuts of eight year old dairy cow tasted different from any other beef I have had. Not sure that I loved it but it was different. The intermezzo was a wonderful sorbet and mint. The service was great and the server, Jessica, was very knowledgeable about the dishes which did require explanation. The bead and butter was excellent also.Special Features:
- Amazing meals and wine pairingFlickDined on 8/24/2014Enjoyed an amazing meas for our first wedding anniversary here last week. Enjoyed a very exciting Chefs tasting menu and asked for wine pairing for the meal and everything was perfect and inventive. Staff were great, attentive and social. Great place, great food, will definitely be back when we are next in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals I have hadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014An excellent meal. Every bite was delicious. It met and exceeded our expectations. The pig face was amazing. The service was great. Truly inspiring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect nightMax3Dined on 8/22/2014Pitch perfect service and food for small wedding celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and presentationpeachesVIPDined on 8/22/2014Everything about Blue Hill was excellent (service and presentation), except being seated in " the garden." It was like sitting in an aquarium. Too close to the next table to converse without them hearing every word. Felt like we were sitting in a morgue it was so quiet. I'm sure the main dining room is a much more "active" place to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014My wife took me to Blue Hill for my birthday. What an amazing menu! You must try the morning's fried egg. Everything is so fresh and flavorful. We just love their use of local ingredients. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I miss the a la carte menu.elmicaelVIPDined on 8/20/2014I am an old time client of Blue Hill, but I found the move to only two menus, the feast which is a degustation menu and the prix-fix was not a fortunate one. The service is still very good, the quality of the food too, but something was lost that was really outstanding when eliminating the a-la-carte menu. I will probably visit less often when I come every year to NYC.Special Features:
- Worth the waitLove2sauceDined on 8/17/2014It took some time and I had to be stratigic on getting reservations but it was so delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another HitRichardHVIPDined on 8/11/2014This was my second time dining at Blue Hill. We enjoyed the tasting menu and there were some outstanding dishes - the curried zucchini with almonds was delicious as was the strip loin and flat iron steak combo. Although the servings seemed small, by the end of the evening, we felt very satisfied. We were provided with 3 different "amuse bouche" which was a nice way to start the meal. Our server was really great and took time to explain the restaurant's culinary mission. Table service was outstanding. One mishap; I spilled my dessert glass of port and some of it splashed onto the table cloth of the empty table beside us. The bar manager (I think) came over to clear the empty table and didn't try to hide her noticeable annoyance.Special Features:
- Past it's primeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/7/2014While once great, there are now many better places to go. The food was good but not great. Service was underwhelming. The credit card machine broke and instead of addressing this, the staff simply slowed down the service. When we asked for the check after 15 minutes post dessert, we got a blank stare and we're notified it would probably be another ten minutes. No apology. No visit from the manager. No comped drink or dessert. Ten minutes we paid cash and left. AfterSpecial Features:
- Good Living at Blue HillDonostiacDined on 8/7/2014Dinner was extravagantly delicious from first niblet through 2nd dessert. Portions were perfect, though by the end (a spectacular pork dish) we were beyond sated. I'd love it if a la carte was also an option, as every trip that is a degustation menu seems like an expedition to me in my old age that I really don't have the stamina for. Service, though was perfect, and it would be hard to imagine a much better night out.Special Features:
- DisappointingDisappointedDined on 8/7/2014The ambience was great as was the server. The first 2 courses and bread were wonderful, as was dessert However, I had heard the food was special. The main courses were not. I had a pork dish that was very salty. That seemed a cheap way to get flavor and it was really too salty. I tried my daughters beef and it too was salty. My sister had the vegetarian dish , a steak eggplant. The thickness and meatiness of it was wonderful but it too was salty . I did not think the prices that bad for a restaurant of this reputation. But the main course did not meet up to its reputation. The ambience lent itself to my having a wonderful time with my daughter and sister. I would not return here for a special event or with my wife for a special dinner
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014Tremendous dining experience. Food was everything we expected, and our waiter - Alexandra, added to our dinner with her knowledge and enthusiasm. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Terrific food.Kate47Dined on 8/4/2014Among the four of us, we tried almost everything on the 4-course menu. The tomato "hamburgers" amuse bouche, the curried zucchini and the lamb were really amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CraigVIPDined on 8/3/2014One of the best in the city. Not as good as others in its league for the money though (e.g., Bouley, Gramercy Tavern).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid eveningKenwuVIPDined on 7/26/2014Good food and service. Our waitress, Amelia was exceptional great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemeatingoutDined on 7/25/2014The experience of dining at Blue Hill is one that will be remembered. From the softly lit room that welcomes you to the impeccable service provided by the staff you will be pampered the entire length of your visit. The kitchen will delight you with small portions of artfully crafted foods. We would recommend a reservation for any special occasion or just to say you have dined at one of the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food--very nice nightletseat1VIPDined on 7/23/2014The food is great. It is always great. I liked everything that we ordered (which is unusual). Since the restaurant is small and busy, there seems to be a lot of staff clumping near the bar. To be honest, the service was a little slow. In particular, between our first and main, there was a very long wait. It was long enough that I thought they may have forgotten to put the order in for the main. In the end, the chicken and pig dishes arrived and they both were great. We will definitely be back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/19/2014Never disappoints, food is superior every time I am there. Service is outstanding. We were seated on the patio which I never even knew was there. it was perfect summer night.Special Features:
- daniiDined on 7/17/2014When I went last time two years ago all the foods were either salty or had a strong flavor. But thankfully the chef changed and everything was great. The best impression of the food for this restaurant was when I first went here back in 2009. This time I had the Hake and it was perfectly made. I also had duck which was a bit chewy. My concern was the "three" desserts at the end where we were first served yoghurt with blueberry sauce, second the flourless chocolate cake, and then third was the madeline. Although the portions are small I did not need three desserts at the end.Special Features:
- PeopleDined on 7/17/2014Service was first rate, as was the menu and wine list. Food was fresh, seasonal and absolutely delicious! Our server was highly knowledgable and fun! Our one wish was for the portion sizes to be larger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodhumanDined on 7/16/2014One of the best diners I've ever had in NY. From the appetizer to the desert, everything was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DocnanDined on 7/15/2014Loved the service; Ellen was awesome and very attentive. The beet salad; the tongue and the hake was especially goos. We had a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Very Special ExperienceCharDined on 7/14/2014There's nothing like Blue Hill if you want to remember the evening. We go to plenty of restaurants with good food but this restaurant is unique. Until now, we've only been to Blue Hill at Stone Barns, but I think we will book our next reservation at the Village locale.Special Features:
- WastingfoodisasinVIPDined on 7/13/2014Tried farmers feast menu. Started from peas and tomatoes, it was well presented to indicate an atomosphere of rural organic farm, but it was interestingly awkward for the restaurant's upscale ambience. Roasted beans with herbs were a very good idea to enjoy those without BBQing. Porgy with cucumber bisque tasted wonderfully as well as following lobster. Enjoyed Berkshire pork with egg plant and sesame seeds. Fortunately got an opportunity to try a bottle of 2009 Nine Barrels Reserve Merlot from Shinn Estate Vineyards, Long Island. The deep fruit notes went well with especially the pork dish. Dessert was chocolate cake with black cherries. Overall, the dishes taste great, but ordinary and less than expectation. Portions were too small.
- spectacularNYCoutoftownVIPDined on 7/11/2014Have tried to get in to Blue Hill fir years on every trip to NYC. Finally got in and everything was spectacular. the tasting menu was so interesting and the presentation was a form of art.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceJESilverDined on 7/10/2014From top to bottom, from hostess to wait staff everyone was delightful. Food was impeccable and very well done. Thanks for a wonderful mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to the hypeSuzanne007VIPDined on 7/10/2014I go to a lot of five-star restaurants. The meals are often fine but not up to the hype. Blue Hill is one of a handful that not only live up to the hype, they exceed it. The food was spectacular and the service was terrific. Sometimes the season approach leads to a poor progression of courses that start to taste the same do to the overuse of an abundant ingredient. That was not the case here. Each course was distinct and flavorful. The overall atmosphere is sophisticated while still being comfortable and not pretentious. All-in-all a terrific experience. I would go back in a heartbeat, and recommend it to anyone who can get reservations.Special Features:
- Special MealFreddyDined on 7/9/2014We arrived 1/2 hour late, right at last moment one can be seated (11pm). No problem!! Take your time!! And a glorious meal of six tasters. We shall be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/9/2014Best resturant in NYC, and they have the nicest staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarvelousMichel6NYCDined on 7/8/2014A classy restaurant with trendy cuisine! A must in Greenwich Village, actually in Manhattan!Special Features:
- B H - Informal Exceptional DinnerIrishfe53VIPDined on 7/3/2014The combination of excellence with relaxed but nice attire for guests makes for a great experience. We had dinner at 10 pm following the first set at the Village Vanguard. The downstairs softly lit room is always full but not overly loud which also makes for a great experience. We opted for the $85 4-course menu. Our vegetarian guest was thrilled with her selections. We all liked the samplings of raw vegetables. The bread and seed encrusted butter were memorable. In fact, everything was memorable. Appetizer. second course and dessert portions lean toward the small size which is wise when the entree is a variation on a theme of pork, duck or fish. Wine list is strong with good selections about $100. Red wine by the glass was weak.Special Features:
- A slice of heavenSuzq2818Dined on 7/2/2014We loved the dining experience. The staff was incredible. The food was divine and the presentation top notch. We even loved the soap and lotion in the bathroom that is made on the farm and purchased that as well! I highly suggest going!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisitenzfoodie14Dined on 6/30/2014Blue Hill is a must when in New York, the food was creative using the freshest products and sometimes unusual combinations but worked very well. serivice was attentive, but not overbearing and the staff knowledgeable on wine matches. we also liked the small intimate atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014From the food to the service to the drinks, definitely a night to remember. This is definitely a special occasion restaurant, but you will not be disappointed. The food is truly farm to fork. I loved the added touch of getting housemade sweet vermouth complimentary with dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable and graciousskwkesqDined on 6/26/2014Innovative tasting menu and the wine and cocktail pairing option makes it even more interesting. Superb service completes a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/20145 stars in all categories. First timers - get the 6 course tasting to experience all the delights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh food, delicately preparedSdmgVIPDined on 6/23/2014Fantastic food and wine pairing was superb! Service was attentive and relaxed but clearly high-standard. Ambience was soft.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.