75 Washington Place
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluehillfarm.com/
- Phone: 2125391776
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm -11:00pm; Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Dan Barber, Chef/Co-Owner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
A word from Blue Hill
Located in a Land-Marked old "Speakeasy" right off of Washington Square Park in the heart of Greenwich Village. Blue Hill restaurant opened at the end of April 2000. Blue Hill is dedicated to creating a new category of neighborhood restaurant that maintains the classic attributes of warmth and affordability, while delivering superior food and service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Blue Hill - Best Restaurants in West Village ›
Blue Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
225 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (170)special occasion (163)romantic (114)neighborhood gem (72)notable wine list (71)hot spot (13)late-night find (7)good for groups (5)great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Great night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Had dinner here and it was amazing! The food was well thought out and perfectly executed. Everything was a hit. Even the seemingly cliche melon and cured meat was exciting in its balance of sweet, salty, bitter, and floral. The service was just as thoughtful and warm as the food. Always a smile and something you wanted yet never had to ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/15/2014Fabulous fresh food and excellent friendly service. Perfect.Special Features:
- DanielVIPDined on 9/15/2014I have been a regular for years by now. As always, the food is executed perfectly. However, this time the portions (especially the main dish) seemed to have shrunken some to the effect that we were still a little hungry after the farmer's feast (the larger tasting menu). I hope they will take that into consideration. Other than that, great staff, great ambiance and amazing fresh food. Will give it another try.Special Features:
- MJGasbarreDined on 9/13/2014Service was wonderful - attentive but not hovering. Relaxed 2 hour, 4 course meal, with simple food that was prepared in a delightful, insightful and a delicious manner. No attention to detail was overlooked. Loved the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as Special as I ExpectedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014We are health conscious and eat grass fed, pasture raised, organic food every day at home. I also cook. The food was good but not great. We were not overly impressed. My second course, the chicken leg, was the best of the four courses I had. My main course choice, also chicken but this time a skinless and boneless chicken breast, was mediocre, quite plain, and very undercooked. Fruit was used in the preparation of many dishes rather than vegetables. I would have liked more greens. Tablecloths here have a sheet of paper over them which makes it easier for staff cleanup but does not befit an expensive restaurant. A crew was filming when we were there. We should have been notified about this in advance instead of being surprised by it.Special Features:
- An Extraordinary EveningCarolVIPDined on 9/11/2014I expected wonderful food, a good experience, but I found an extraordinary meal, served by extraordinary staff, in a lovely setting, with "buzz" AND sufficient quiet to hear my dinner partner. Just lovely! THANK YOU ALL!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romancing the tongueLovemattersDined on 9/8/2014Every bite from the fennel to the Concorde grapes; felt as if I was courting my tongue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!BlackboughDined on 9/5/2014wonderful. extraordinary food. service great. hard to get reservations however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome farm to tableLuvafarmDined on 9/5/2014Very unusual menu, goat belly was one item that comes to mind and it was delicious. Very fresh food for sure and that really does make a difference. Wait staff was terrific, no rush and very helpful. A real treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionLundiDined on 9/4/2014Blue Hill is amazing! Fantastic food, ambiance and service with a friendly and highly professional staff. One could not ask for more.Special Features:
- Terrific experience on all countsstatestjanDined on 9/3/2014Clearly the whole basis of their identity and rep is related to the focus on local, farm fresh food and they definitely delivered on that. But the experience was made so much more delightful but the warmth, attentiveness, and knowledge of the staff. Extremely pleasant and service oriented without any "stuffiness" at all - you really felt it was all just about enjoying great food and sharing with others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very special dining experienceleonfVIPDined on 9/2/2014Outstanding in all respects. Every course hit the mark. Service was exceptionally courteous and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014The flavours of the food at this restaurant are amazing! It is an expensive meal and well worth it! Definitely somewhere to celebrate a special occasion. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Blue Hill EleganceladythatlunchesVIPDined on 8/31/2014Blue Hill makes the diner feel relaxed and ready to enjoy the evening. Servers are knowledgeable and accommodating. But, of course, the best thing about Blue Hill is the food. I ordered from the 4 course menu and my husband from the Farmer's Menu. Aside from a delightful parade of amuses bouches, including tiny tomato sliders which we could have eaten by the dozens, we enjoyed imaginatively turned vegetables. How about zucchini carbonara? What a good idea! The curried sliced zucchini in bacon-onion broth was worth making another reservation to sample again. Both pig and duck dishes were delicious with interesting garnishes. This is definitely a restaurant to put on your bucket list.Special Features:
- Phenomenal experienceBest40Dined on 8/31/2014The whole experience was delightful. You would take one bite of a dish and the flavored would explode. I recommend this restaurant to all foodies. Not only the food was amazing but also our serverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost everything fantasticFoodieDined on 8/31/2014The service could not have been more attentive or friendly. The food was great--fresh and inventive except for the chicken which was pretty bland.Special Features:
- Almost perfectChef110VIPDined on 8/30/2014Our server and the server assistants were excellent. Very efficient and unobtrusive. Most of our dishes were fantastic-especially the heirloom tomato salad on the Chef/s menu and the lobster dish. The menu perfectly reflected the season. The cheese plate was a disappointment- I would have expected something a little more special than the standards we received. Plum dessert was memorable.Special Features:
- Best Farm to Table in NYChgbancroftVIPDined on 8/29/2014This was my best dining experience in months. Impeccable service! Freshest, most appealing ingredients. A unique dining experience. Not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wishAandJVIPDined on 8/29/2014The restaurant was a little brighter. It's too dark that we could not fully enjoy a beautiful art work of the chef nor color of foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Hill has really lost it.farawaybeachVIPDined on 8/29/2014We've been dining at Blue Hill for years; among their best customers, we've been told. However, we went last night, and much had changed. Nothing was as good as it normally is. They've stopped making fresh bread. They no longer have an a la carte menu, and the prix-fixe is sorely lacking. They certainly should have informed their regulars of these changes. Frankly, their food has never really been exceptional. It was a convenience, as we live around the corner. The food is boring, and the staff is pretentious. There are too many good restaurants in NYC to put up with this. It's just a tourist trap in a basement now. Ciao, Blue Hill.
- A NYC staple.NYC1Dined on 8/28/2014Blue Hill has been around for a while, and for good reason. It's a solid dining experience, and a nice diversion from all the trendy, overpriced restaurants in town. The quality of the ingredients is what distances Blue Hill from the pack. The preparation is solid, and mostly memorable. It would be nice to see the menu offer a little more diversity, but even without, dinner at Blue Hill is always something to look forward to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Emphasis on quality and tasteRUguyDined on 8/27/2014The ingredients are selected for taste even down to the knowledge of the seeds from which they are grown. I had the Sampler for $98. Four different amuse bouche were served. They were great. The very first dish was a variety of tomatoes in a broken vinegrette (bone marrow) with a hint of cheese. Each kind of tomato was absolutely scrumptious. I hated for it to end. The beef dish of 3 different cuts of eight year old dairy cow tasted different from any other beef I have had. Not sure that I loved it but it was different. The intermezzo was a wonderful sorbet and mint. The service was great and the server, Jessica, was very knowledgeable about the dishes which did require explanation. The bead and butter was excellent also.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningislington185Dined on 8/26/2014Blue Hill lives up to its reputation. Great service and a terrific wine recommendation from our server. The only weak spot in the meal (and it was a small thing) was the goat, which was very salty. Otherwise, it's everything you would expect. Delicious and elegant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing meals and wine pairingFlickDined on 8/24/2014Enjoyed an amazing meas for our first wedding anniversary here last week. Enjoyed a very exciting Chefs tasting menu and asked for wine pairing for the meal and everything was perfect and inventive. Staff were great, attentive and social. Great place, great food, will definitely be back when we are next in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals I have hadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014An excellent meal. Every bite was delicious. It met and exceeded our expectations. The pig face was amazing. The service was great. Truly inspiring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect nightMax3Dined on 8/22/2014Pitch perfect service and food for small wedding celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and presentationpeachesVIPDined on 8/22/2014Everything about Blue Hill was excellent (service and presentation), except being seated in " the garden." It was like sitting in an aquarium. Too close to the next table to converse without them hearing every word. Felt like we were sitting in a morgue it was so quiet. I'm sure the main dining room is a much more "active" place to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best!EagleVIPDined on 8/21/2014We had an excellent, memory making send off dinner for my nephew who is a freshman at NYU. The night could not have been better. Great service and excellent food. I plan on dining here in the spring before he graduates to celebrate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014My wife took me to Blue Hill for my birthday. What an amazing menu! You must try the morning's fried egg. Everything is so fresh and flavorful. We just love their use of local ingredients. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I miss the a la carte menu.elmicaelVIPDined on 8/20/2014I am an old time client of Blue Hill, but I found the move to only two menus, the feast which is a degustation menu and the prix-fix was not a fortunate one. The service is still very good, the quality of the food too, but something was lost that was really outstanding when eliminating the a-la-carte menu. I will probably visit less often when I come every year to NYC.Special Features:
- Worth the waitLove2sauceDined on 8/17/2014It took some time and I had to be stratigic on getting reservations but it was so delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply WonderfulDCEpicurianVIPDined on 8/17/2014Blue Hill is always a pleasure - from beginning (outstanding cocktails) to end (we were treated to a sampling of fresh produce being brought in from the farm) and everything in-between (the best service of fantastic food). We always find ourselves coming back to Blue Hill when we are visiting the city. It is sophisticated and elegant, yet casual and easy-going. Simply wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another HitRichardHVIPDined on 8/11/2014This was my second time dining at Blue Hill. We enjoyed the tasting menu and there were some outstanding dishes - the curried zucchini with almonds was delicious as was the strip loin and flat iron steak combo. Although the servings seemed small, by the end of the evening, we felt very satisfied. We were provided with 3 different "amuse bouche" which was a nice way to start the meal. Our server was really great and took time to explain the restaurant's culinary mission. Table service was outstanding. One mishap; I spilled my dessert glass of port and some of it splashed onto the table cloth of the empty table beside us. The bar manager (I think) came over to clear the empty table and didn't try to hide her noticeable annoyance.Special Features:
- Past it's primeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/7/2014While once great, there are now many better places to go. The food was good but not great. Service was underwhelming. The credit card machine broke and instead of addressing this, the staff simply slowed down the service. When we asked for the check after 15 minutes post dessert, we got a blank stare and we're notified it would probably be another ten minutes. No apology. No visit from the manager. No comped drink or dessert. Ten minutes we paid cash and left. AfterSpecial Features:
- Good Living at Blue HillDonostiacDined on 8/7/2014Dinner was extravagantly delicious from first niblet through 2nd dessert. Portions were perfect, though by the end (a spectacular pork dish) we were beyond sated. I'd love it if a la carte was also an option, as every trip that is a degustation menu seems like an expedition to me in my old age that I really don't have the stamina for. Service, though was perfect, and it would be hard to imagine a much better night out.Special Features:
- DisappointingDisappointedDined on 8/7/2014The ambience was great as was the server. The first 2 courses and bread were wonderful, as was dessert However, I had heard the food was special. The main courses were not. I had a pork dish that was very salty. That seemed a cheap way to get flavor and it was really too salty. I tried my daughters beef and it too was salty. My sister had the vegetarian dish , a steak eggplant. The thickness and meatiness of it was wonderful but it too was salty . I did not think the prices that bad for a restaurant of this reputation. But the main course did not meet up to its reputation. The ambience lent itself to my having a wonderful time with my daughter and sister. I would not return here for a special event or with my wife for a special dinner
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014Tremendous dining experience. Food was everything we expected, and our waiter - Alexandra, added to our dinner with her knowledge and enthusiasm. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Terrific food.Kate47Dined on 8/4/2014Among the four of us, we tried almost everything on the 4-course menu. The tomato "hamburgers" amuse bouche, the curried zucchini and the lamb were really amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CraigVIPDined on 8/3/2014One of the best in the city. Not as good as others in its league for the money though (e.g., Bouley, Gramercy Tavern).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid eveningKenwuVIPDined on 7/26/2014Good food and service. Our waitress, Amelia was exceptional great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.