Blue Fish Grill
50 Mine Street
Flemington, NJ 08822Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Blue Fish Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebluefishgrill.com/
- Phone: (908) 237-4528
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 8:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 11:30am - 9:00pm
Sunday: 11:30am - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Stacy and Kelly Casanova
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Blue Fish Grill offers custom catering for events of all sizes. We have 2 private rooms as well as our adjacent Stangl Factory than can accommodate groups of up to 300! Our menus that we design for our private events are unique, delicious and memorable. If it's Grandma's birthday, a baptism, Sweet 16, Weddings or Corporate Events we can suit all of your full service catering needs!
A word from Blue Fish Grill
Welcome to Blue Fish Grill. Our goal is to provide you with a consistently tasty, comfortable culinary experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Blue Fish Grill - Best Restaurants in Flemington ›
Blue Fish Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (54)great for outdoor dining (40)kid-friendly (34)fit for foodies (30)good for groups (27)great for lunch (27)hot spot (5)special occasion (3)romantic (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/18/2014There was a new much smaller menu. The kids menu no longer has a grilled fish on it, we were disappointed in that. The Special with Mole sauce was great. We were sad that the curry bowl was no longer on the menu. We asked our server about adding fish to a salad, which was on the old menu. He told us it was still possible, but its not on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch with Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/12/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our lunch at Blue Fish Grill this week. The mahi-mahi burrito and fish tacos were both perfectly delicious. Loved the French fries, too. Friendly and helpful service made us feel really welcome. We will definitely return. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Updated MenudinesoutalotDined on 11/5/2014We are frequent diners here and were surprised to see a new menu. The white background and new format makes it easier to read. Several former "Specials" are now standard items. Most notable are two of my favorites. The former Caeser salad has been updated to a Kale & Romaine combination with a fine duting of pulverized croutons. The infrequent scallop special is now a standard item. Prices have increased slightly but the value recieved for fresh fire grilled seafood is still outstanding.
- FantasticLovetoTravelVIPDined on 11/2/2014We ate lunch there today. I called to say I was going to be 30 minutes late due to a flat tire. The staff couldn't have been nicer. The restaurant was packed but they were very accommodating to honor the reservation. We had the salmon, crab cake and fish and chips all was prepared excellent. The waiter was very attentive, filling our water when needed and checking in frequently enough but not too much. I will definitely come back when in Flemington again.Special Features:
- Good Food but why change the Po'BoypaulsoccerDined on 11/1/2014Although we typically love this great local restaurant for its fresh fish we were a bit disappointed this time with its classic Catfish Po'Boy. We were expecting the past version and our heart and palette were disappointed with the new version. The Kale Ceasar Salad was excellent as was the shrimp with pesto sauce. The fries are always excellent. We will visit again but now we will have to try to find a new regular go to meal.Special Features:
- Great restaurantNovadadDined on 11/1/2014Great food, fresh fish, great fries, informal, nice wait staff.Special Features:
- Delicious and freshVisitorDined on 10/25/2014I found the reasonably priced fish and sides fresh and tasty. The service was efficient, and the staff pleasant. I enjoyed my grilled salmon, and my friend enjoyed her grilled tuna. I will go back.Special Features:
- Atmosphere/hoursfood4uDined on 10/24/2014I would highly advise that the atmosphere be it with dimmer lighting, tablecloths be adapted to evoke a look of sophistication and not a diner. Closing at 9pm is NOT acceptable in the environment of today.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing dining!Luv2eatDined on 10/17/2014Great quality seafood and delicious salads as well. Every time we come here we always get great service as well. Can't wait to return. Excellent catfish po'boy sandwich and new kale Ceasar salad is delish!Special Features:
- Reasonable priced, no atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/17/2014The only attraction is the food. Reasonably priced and well prepared fish. There is no ambiance. Wood floors, wood tables, that's it. Although the server was knowledgeable about the menu, we had to ask for silverware and the roll of paper towels on the table, instead of napkins, has got to go. That being said, we arrived on time for our reservation and 5 couples were waiting for tables in front of us, with 2 more arriving right after us. We were asked to wait but only waited 5 minutes, being seated before the rest. It was either the reservation or Open Table connection. Either way, appreciated. It also shows good food will attract an audience. If they would only put napkins and silverware on the table.Special Features:
- Friday night date night specialLPhilDined on 10/17/2014Our dinner was good --- noise is a problem in the restaurant -- hopefully the owners will improve it somehow.... Needs to have a cozier feel --currently its too empty looking.... Needs to be warmed up with better décor. Waitress was great she knows her menu which is always a bonus with me! Very friendly and outgoing but not over the edge!!! Very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently wonderfulSuzequDined on 10/17/2014We like the paper towels as napkins (were somewhat taken aback by the recent experiment with clothe napkins); we like the mix of casual food with interesting, sometimes experimental Specials; we like the happy chaos of kids running about, a big patio and being surrounded by art galleries and other quirky new businesses. We also like that Kelly has finally gotten a chance to show off her baking at their new coffee house next door - I particularly like the fruit scones and bear claws.Special Features:
- Blue Fish GrillSeafoodiegal78Dined on 10/11/2014Dishes are consistently good. Crabcakes and the Latin Mahi bowl are two of my personal favorites. Casual, no frills or fancy atmosphere, but fun to eat here with friendly servers. BYOB is also a plus. Coffee shop is right outside the restaurant for finishing off the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchwineanddineVIPDined on 10/11/2014Well, I think it's the best place in Flemington for a casual lunch. It's not fine dining, but I always enjoy what ever I might try, and there is always plenty of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu change is a disasterTomKVIPDined on 10/10/2014The once good-value menu at the Blue Fish Grill is gone. Now to get a simple grilled Salmon filet with two sides for lunch, after tip and tax, comes to around $21.50 - too pricey for Flemington, NJ for lunch. We were regulars, but we won't be back.
- seafood findfood4thoughtDined on 10/4/2014I chose this restaurant because I only eat seafood and it is difficult to find a casual and moderately priced seafood restaurant. I was pleased they were able to accommodate the dietary restrictions without sacrificing flavor. This is usually an issue. My husband was happy with his fish tacos. They were generous and very enjoyable. He can be difficult to please when it comes to casual food. That being said, I would have preferred tablecloths on the tables and perhaps real napkins. I don't appreciate a roll of paper towels on my table. This is where the waitress wrote our order, a 2nd time, after she used the first one to wipe up a spill. I also don't appreciate seeing the legs and combat boots of the servers. Pants please!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a great meal tonightLissaDined on 10/3/2014Having been to this restaurant a number of times, I am willing to give them an out this once. Food was rushed to the table, calamari app was soggy and lukewarm, hummus of the day tasteless. Dinner came along shortly after. The others enjoyed the steak, filet mignon and pasta, but my chicken dish was bland, oily and tasteless. Note to self, do not order chicken again. Time to take a break from this restaurant and explore some other area eateries. Having said that our waitperson was extremely friendly and attentive.
- great findbillwillDined on 9/26/2014It's been hard for me to find a nice place near Flemington. The Blue Fish fits the bill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a very good mealLeslieNJDined on 9/23/2014We've been dining at the BFG a long time, its our 'GO TO" place for seafood. On a recent Tues. night the food was great, but we were disappointed in our waitress who stood behind the counter reading her text book through most of our meal, and never told us about specials, which we learned of late when we overheard another waiter. Also: there were 2 large groups - the dining room was quite loud (mostly from a waiter, who spent a good deal of time at a table of young women celebrating a birthday - it didn't seem they wanted him hanging over them telling jokes and interrupting their time. I recommend the Fish Tacos, the house made chips, Asian Bowl, with Mahi Mahi, rice , black beans, plantains; the fish and chips (a HUGE portion).Special Features:
- Coming back here again!Luv2eatDined on 9/19/2014I'm so happy BFG now takes reservations! It always liked this place, but never lived close enough to do take-out, and our party was never large enough to get a restaurant reservation. We could never get in, without waiting over an hour at least. This is a much welcome change! It goes without saying, the food is high quality, a good price, and great service. Casual, clean and comfortable ambiance. It's very cool that they now have a 2nd floor plus they offer wines from a local winery too. Very cool!Special Features:
- Family favoriteLelFoodieVIPDined on 9/19/2014We have been coming to blue fish grill for years. They consistently offer a fantastic menu suited to any tastes which is priced very reasonably for what you get. The kids menu provides your standard choices but we have always loved the fact that they can have any of the healthier side options from the grown up menu. Grilled asparagus or pineapple are tasty and healthy. The specials always offer something eclectic and full of flavor. The chef likes to mix Mexican and Asian techniques and flavors for consistently delicious dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently funSuzequDined on 9/12/2014Casual dining, consistently good food - sometimes great specials - and friendly service. That's why we keep coming back.Special Features:
- Simple & FreshdinesoutalotDined on 9/10/2014The menu is simple. Fresh fish prepared on a wood fired grill accompanied by your choice of two sides and a sauce. My favorite is the fresh, seasoned french fries and coleslaw. I recommend using the online reservation system as walk-ins may face up to an hour wait during peak times. The ambiance could use a little help as I find it overly simple. When the sun is just right, the glare through the uncovered windows is unbearable. Blue Fish Grill is and will continue to remain one of my favorite stops for delicious, fresh grilled tuna with a caesar salad to start. Sometimes, you may get lucky and catch day boat scallops as a featured special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Bad, Nice Neighborhood SpotjuleezeeDined on 9/6/2014Nice down-home vibe, vey friendly hostess and server, nice menu with something for almost everyone. Bring your own wine, unless you are a fan of the local kinds, which you can buy by the full or half bottle. Food is good, well prepared, nicely presented, but not outstanding. On the night of our visit the kitchen ran out of the plantains by 7:15 pm. They must have been good. Don't come hungry though, the kitchen is extremely slow and there are no nibbles of any kind to be had until your food comes out. Very good scallops, calamari and house made chips. The Asian Vert salad wasn't crisp and really ho-hum. The key lime pie is well worth the calories, but there should be room for a sorbet or gelato as a palate cleanser.Special Features:
- Good fish choiceslzam22Dined on 9/6/2014Loved the items on the menu, especially the ability to choose the type of "sauce" used for each of the fish. Atmosphere is loud/"energetic" and not romantic. Service was satisfactory. There was one item on the dessert menu, but we found another place for coffee and tea :)Special Features:
- Don't miss this restaurant!StephDined on 9/6/2014The Blue Fish Grill has the best fish in Hunterdon County!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fish houseSuzequDined on 9/5/2014Long time BFG fans here. I didn't know whether I liked the cloth napkins or not the last few times we went, but the return to the roll of paper towels Friday was great - so I must have missed them. I certainly missed the food (when they had there brief late Aug. vacation). This is not haut cuisine - but it is well cooked, well spiced, with an attention to detail. This a big, happy, neighborly place. There are always lots of children and frequently large parties - so noisy, but it's happy, well-fed noise. Keep the interesting specials coming!Special Features:
- Best seafood around!BunnyMomDined on 8/16/2014Always a great meal at BFG. Fresh seafood, unique creations. Reliably delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchwineanddineVIPDined on 8/16/2014Came back after a few weeks and found the food pretty good. I had the same New Mexican soup as last visit (still delicious). I thought the cat fish sandwich a very good choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always good food priced wellLuvGoodFoodnWineDined on 8/15/2014Great BYOB fish is fresh as can be. The added smokehouse has pulled pork and unbelievable brisket. Something for everyone. Flavors range from nice southwest flair to thai coconut. Mussels shrimp cerviche are awesome as well as salads with entry on top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Train The Wait StaffDJVMDined on 8/15/2014Somewhat disappointed in Blue Fish Grill.....nothing dramatic, but was expecting much better atmosphere [non-existing] kind of a bare bones place...empty walls of art work [even though it is located right next door to an artist co-op]. But was put off by the wait person...who asked "what can I get you guys?" ["You Guys"....out of a Joe Pesci movie]. She liked to use "guys" quite a bit when speaking to customers. The food was just OK.....the pricing was reasonable for the fare.Special Features:
- Very disappointedMarthaVIPDined on 8/15/2014There is no decor, there was virtually no service, the food was cold and flavorless. The bill did arrive quickly - before we could even ask about dessert - but then, we were happy to flee. I'm not sure why this restaurant gets good reviews, unless it is the cheap prices (but then, if you can't eat the food it isn't really that cheap). There are some excellent places in Flemington, but this is not one of them.
- Never disappointeddlsulDined on 8/15/2014Great fish dinners. Pleasant hosts and wait staff.Special Features:
- ShashaDined on 8/7/2014Love this place . Dined there twice both excellent experiences. Try ahi Tina with wasabi cream sauce... Awesome! Can't wait to go back for more. Reasonable prices for everything. Only wish they would add soft shell crabs/ crab to menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish so fresh you should slap itRingoesNJDined on 8/2/2014Never had a bad meal here, and Carter, our waiter, went above and beyond. Specials are always unique!Special Features:
- Um Um good!!!!!naplesfoodieVIPDined on 8/2/2014First time at this restaurant and was very pleasantly surprised. My only disappointment was the calamari app. Although very tasty the majority of calamari was tentacles. I prefer the rings so I was not overly excited about getting a dish of mostly tentacles. That being said everything else was absolutely delish. I had the Bronzino special that was so good I could have licked my plate. My husband had the salmon in a coconut sauce which was also outstanding. Would definitely recommend this restaurant for anyone in the Flemington area. You won't be sorry.......Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014We absolutely love the blue fish. The food, the atmosphere and the staff are fantastic. There's nothing bad to be said.Special Features:
- The following 18 reviews are from the Blue Fish Grill reviews archive.
- Consistently delicious!!!SalmonLover10Dined on 7/29/2014Best fresh seafood in the area...consistently reliable service, food quality and ambience. Great affordable dining for all palates and an all-around pleasant dining experience. Great use of space so no one is dining on top of one another...cannot wait for our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedmemehouseDined on 7/29/2014First time we ate at Blue Fish Grill. Great food and atmosphere. You need to advertise more or I've been living under a rock. :0) Definitely looking forward to coming back.Special Features:
- Evening OutWaltDined on 7/25/2014We always enjoy our visits to the Blue Fish Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.