Blue Fin Sushi
1814 Clement Street
San Francisco, CA 94121Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Blue Fin Sushi
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bluefinsushisf.com/
- Phone: 4153872441x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Friday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 12:00 AM
Everyday 4:00 PM -2:00 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Paul Lee
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Weekdays only - minimum charge may apply. Call restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Paul Lee 4158282640x
A word from Blue Fin Sushi
Nestled in the heart of Richmond district. Blue Fin Sushi serves a combination of traditional and inventive Japanese cuisine ranging from sushi rolls, sashimi and creative salads to signature dishes like wasabi seafood pizza, seafood ceviche, and unagi fried rice. Our sushi features the freshest and highest quality possible and are flown from Japan and around the world with a very reasonable price. Blue Fin Sushi also provides private room dining and lounge area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blue Fin Sushi reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (9)good for groups (7)fit for foodies (7)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (4)special occasion (3)great for lunch (3)romantic (2)great for brunch (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great food and good valuechrisDined on 8/1/2014Seating and ambiance was nicer than your normal neighborhood sushi place; in the room next door they also had cocktail bar that was visible, but didn't detract from the feel of the restaurant. They hand an expansive menu with a lot of difficult choices to make. Good service and the wait staff was very nice and helpful. Overall, a good choice especially if you don't want to trek over to the more populated nice scene areas.Special Features:
- Solid Sushi in Outer SunsetSFFoodieFunVIPDined on 6/21/2014The sushi was very fresh and delicious. Portions for hamachi sashimi were huge. Service was friendly if absent-minded at times. Servers were very nice though. Service dinged though because sushi chef/proprietors were rude when we first walked in and didn't allow us to sit where we wanted to, despite the restaurant being only 1/8 full, and it was already past 8:30pm (ie. beyond dinner hour) -- oh and only 3 more parties showed up over the course of our meal. Overall, the resto was fine, but with so many sushi options available in SF, not sure we'd go again to eat-in. But would probably carry-out on those days when I'm driving by because the sashimi was great.Special Features:
- Good variety to the menujohnDined on 5/27/2014Despite the great variety to the very tasty menu selections, the nigiri sushi needs to be tweaked a bit to give it both a better presentation and a more solid composition. The rice component needs to be constructed with less moisture, so it does not fall apart from the savory raw fish. The waitstaff is terrific. The restaurant has a real neighborhood feel, catering to patrons of all stripes, which is refreshing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always goodMissvicVIPDined on 5/23/2014they know us now and what our favorites are - that's cool. great sushi, good variety of sakes, attentive service - when we want good fish/sushi, this is where we go.Special Features:
- The following 67 reviews are from the Blue Fin Sushi reviews archive.
- Great little sushi placeHareyDined on 4/21/2014I've been to Blue Fin several times now and have found the food consistently delicious. There's great variety on the menu. So hard to decide what to get we always order too much. Besides the food, the staff is always helpful and attentive without being instrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Order raw fishOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/21/2014I guess this place is good for fresh fish. We ordered Saba and butterfish nigiri which were awesome but the rest of our food was less appetizing. Soft shell crab in one of our rolls was fishy and not crispy - almost not edible. Salmon roll was fine. Unagi fried rice was over flavored with that sweet sauce they put in Unagi.
- A favorite place to go foralbeaneDined on 4/13/2014A favorite place to go for sushi. We had the payroll, spider roll, volcano roll & rainbow roll, all good! The grilled lamb chops are my favorite. Cooked just the way I like them, medium rare and juicy! Another plus, you won't need to circle around looking for parking. Park at the lot about a block away and they pay you back in cash!Special Features:
- Early dinner - wanted sushiMissvicVIPDined on 4/7/2014I love sushi, my husband wants cooked food -Blue Fin finds the solution for both of us.Special Features:
- Clement St favoriteMissvicVIPDined on 3/27/2014I love sushi. Blue Fin has lots of fun combinations with wacky names. Sushi is delicious, well made, and the service is attentive. Also has a nice happy hour.Special Features:
- Not badMayligirlDined on 3/5/2014The unagi fried rice, hamachi karma, and some of the rolls were good. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a blue fin fanShopdivaVIPDined on 2/16/2014This looks like a neighborhood hang out, kind of worn out with casual service. They do offer a "happy hour" from 4-7pm with limited items. The sauces that accompany the crab rangoons is ketchup? The calimari greasy and tasteless. I think this is a great place for "Americans who don't have a keen sense of what traditional "Jappanese" food is. If you are searching for parking for a half and hour like we did park in the lot on 18th ave. between Geary and Clement St. and the restaurant will reimburse you if you bring the ticket to them. That was a plus, $6 for parking there.
- Valentine's DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I came here with my gf for Valentine's day and order the special menu. Everything came out quickly and was very tasty. The fish was fresh and delicious. She had the chirashi and I had the sea bass with unagi rice. Both were very good. The mochi ice cream was amazing. If you park in the lot on 18th between geary and clement they'll refund your parking. I would definitely give this place a return visit.Special Features:
- Food Much Better Than ServicemikesVIPDined on 1/18/2014There are a lot of good Japanese restaurants specializing in sushi in the Richmond District. Blue Fin's sushi and other items are quite fresh and well prepared and prices are in line with the quality. Service is another matter. It is somewhat disorganized and was not easy to get the attention of a server even though the dining room had very few patrons as we arrived after 8:30. We were placed at a table by the window where there was a large, extremely noisy group and the poor acoustics in the room made things unbearable.We were moved to another table which was appreciably better and the group left shortly thereafter. Parking in the area is difficult. However, we will return.
- Amazing!FirestrongerDined on 12/15/2013The restaurant has great atmosphere. The staff is amazing. They were very helpful and service was extremely fast! I love this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi in the Outer RichmondDudeDined on 12/13/2013Came early and enjoyed a few beers at the bar during Happy Hour. Can't beat $3 pints of Lagunitas IPA. Easy to walk right over to the dinning side and sit for dinner. Small and intimate space. Service was excellent with our waiter. Food came out quickly and in a proper flow rather than all at once. Highly recommend Blue Fin Sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early Friday DinnerMissvicVIPDined on 12/6/2013Although we live in Japantown, we frequent great sushi bars in the avenues. Blue Fin has excellent chefs, sizable and creative portions, at reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Quick biteStroudShowHorsesDined on 10/25/2013We stopped at Blue Fin on our way to an event service was a bit slow until I explained we had less than an hour before we had to leave for an event. They assured us that they could serve us in time, even if we ordered sushi rolls. They were right! Our orders arrived promptly and were still executed well. The roll was pretty and tasty.
- Great sushi and other itemsBlakeVIPDined on 10/15/2013Love the specialty rolls! Also the kimchi fried rice is great!!I highly recommend this if you are looking for great sushi and a large assortment of other great cuisine for those who want to stray from the rolls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slow service, surprisinglyDisappointedDined on 9/8/2013slow service, surprisingly nothing special about their sushi. looking forward on one particular menu item, they ran out the day before my reservations.
- superbRobbVIPDined on 8/31/2013Excellent service. Attentive. Ordered and food came out quickly, but still presentable and delicious. Loved the specials as it allowed my girlfriend and I to try out some less likely to order food. Definitely would return when visiting the areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We made a reservation forLAHSVIPDined on 6/21/2013We made a reservation for 8 people for dinner, but mistakenly came in a night after our reservation! We were greeted cordially and tables were cheerfully rearranged for our large family party. The sushi and sashimi items were fresh and delicious as were the non sushi offerings, especdially the appetizers of lightly fried octopus and seaweed salad. All of us enjoyed the dinner and will come back when we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice staff, slow nightOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/15/2013We almost turned around when we arrived as there were no other tables but we didn't. The sushi was decent quality and the server was nice.
- Best volcano roll!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/11/2013Love this place! Volcano, 49ers, and Mexicano rolls are my fav!Special Features:
- Good sushi and music!YummerzDined on 4/21/2013Had the sushi combo platter, the Caterpillar roll? and Chicken Karaage. All of them great! Sushi was nice and tender, savored every bite! Next door is the bar area, their DJ/music was very good. Love hip-hop beats! Good for dates.Special Features:
- Amazing food. Just wishedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/21/2013Amazing food. Just wished it would be open a bit earlier.Special Features:
- Friendly sushi chefs and niceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/11/2013Friendly sushi chefs and nice fresh fish for the sushi. The sushi rice was done well, seasoned well with just the right blend of tart and sweet. Average cost for SF: translation--expensive, although not at the high end for SF. Overall, I enjoyed my experience. The Kobe beef sushi was a disappointment though, I would not order it again. The uni was nice.Special Features:
- Nothing too spectacular, theOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/8/2013Nothing too spectacular, the biggest disappointment was when our 18.95 plate of sea bass came with a side of broccoli and carrots w/ ponzu sauce, so American! I have never seen that as a side on a plate and I have been to Japan.
- The food is not consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/5/2013The food is not consistent at this place - can be very fresh and delishes one night and completely the opposite another. Was a real disappointing for the $ last time.
- Imaginative and Delicious Sushi!OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/23/2013Very imaginative and delicious sushi. I just wish the restaurant would put its parking validation policy (for the lot on 18th Ave. between Geary and Clement) on its website instead of just posting a note at the restaurant entrance. The parking situation in the neighborhood is usually pretty bad.Special Features:
- Super super super poor services!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/11/2013Super super super poor services!!!! It wasn't good last two already. I think it would be my last time ever going again.
- Our New Sushi SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/2/2013Good quality sushi at a moderate price. Three of us ate for around $100 including an appetizer and drinks.Everything we ordered was good. None of the overwhelming fish taste you get with sushi that isn't fresh. We received our food fast, but after that our server got busy and was slow to return. The location is nice, as it isn't in the middle of a congested location and parking wasn't terrible for a Saturday. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- The special sushi rolls wereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/18/2013The special sushi rolls were very tasty, and the service was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- The sushi and sushi rollsBettyDined on 1/10/2013The sushi and sushi rolls are much better than the entrees. The entrees did not have the freshest of ingredients...especially the Nabeyaki udon which has many interesting pieces of mystery meats!Special Features:
- The Lady Fingers sushi rollsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/5/2013The Lady Fingers sushi rolls were excellent and the waitress was friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Good food. Imaginative interpretatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/7/2012Good food. Imaginative interpretation of sushi dishes. Staff friendly but not very efficient.Special Features:
- Neighborhood charmTheColonelVIPDined on 11/18/2012A great neighborhood sushi restaurant in the Avenues. Very quick and attentive chefs. OK wine list, good Sake selection, full bar. decent prices, street parking only can be hard to find spaces.Special Features:
- Great food & Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2012Great food & Great service loved the bar area good design!Special Features:
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/26/2012My friend and I had six items from your menu. Each and every one of the dish were delicious!Special Features:
- Grasshopper role, yum.....reasonablOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/7/2012Grasshopper role, yum.....reasonably priced, good food.Special Features:
- My first time there and everyoneOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/19/2012My first time there and everyone was friendly. The service had good recommendations, unfortunately they ran out of them. I had some of the live uni and it was really good. Not fishy at all and prepared very well. The decor was nice and not too small of a space. It's good for groups but it's best to make reservations if you can. I would most definitely go back to try the japanese pizza.. I was too full to eat more. The fish tacos were pretty interesting too! not prepared like your normal tacos, but the greens that came with it were very good. I would recommend to try that, unless your looking for a mexican-like taco. Enjoy!Special Features: