Blue Dragon Restaurant
61-3616 Kawaihae Road
Kamuela, HI 96743Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: $30 and under
Blue Dragon Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluedragonhawaii.com/
- Phone: (808) 882-7771 ext. 2
- Hours of Operation:
Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Hawaii Regional Cuisine, International
- Executive Chef: Noah Hester
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Enjoy any special night at The Blue Dragon Restaurant. Take advantage of The Best Dining Atmosphere in a more intimate setting. The restaurant is available for private events seven days a week. We offer Professional Chefs, Pastry Chef, Wait Staff, Bartenders, Sound Technician and more. Our restaurant is Romantic, Fun, Friendly, Interactive and Elegant.
- Entertainment: Voted Best Live Music two years in a row! The Blue Dragon features live music every Thursday through Sunday. Our monthly schedule is on our website. We regularly feature Hoku Award winners & nominees. The Blue Dragon exclusively hosts The Big Island's biggest big band...The Ollie phonic Horns among many other stand-outs. Whether you enjoy Jazz, Hawaiian, Classic Rock, Swing, Salsa or Blues the Blue Dragon is the place to listen, dine and dance under the stars.
A word from Blue Dragon Restaurant
Recently voted Best Dining Atmosphere, Family Entertainment, Bartender, Live Music and Night Spot by West Hawaii Today. Our fresh, festive food features global, coastal flavors and offers the freshest of ingredients, from locally caught fish to produce from our own organic farm. We proudly offer vegetarian, vegan, and/or gluten free options as well as just enough meat and the freshest of seafood! Our young and talented chef team sincerely loves to create the most amazing dishes with the finest local and seasonal products available. We feature live music nightly (when we are open for dinner Thursdays through Sundays) and offer the best talent and a wide array of musical styles. If the music moves you, get up and dance right under the stars as our dining area has no roof!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Blue Dragon Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Kawaihae ›
Blue Dragon Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (77)fit for foodies (41)good for groups (40)neighborhood gem (39)special occasion (37)hot spot (33)vibrant bar scene (31)kid-friendly (28)romantic (21)late-night find (20)notable wine list (8)scenic view (6)great for lunch (1)Show More
- I don't get it...PetePumaVIPDined on 11/20/2014I don't understand the unbridled adulation for this place. Many of the reviews we read before going there seemed to indicate that the food, music and ambiance all worked together, but for me something was just off. For one, we had a fairly monotone solo guitar player who stuck to mostly 1960s and '70s country favorites. Not exactly the high-powered dancing music "under the stars" we were promised. As far as food, there's no excuse for average fish in Hawai'i, but they did it. And even for Hawai'i, the appetizers were a little overpriced. We tried some custom cocktails, and they were OK but nothing special. Ambience, though, is the strange thing. If that were better, all the other would be fine, but something's just... off.. It seems like an alien's idea of what humans would like without understanding humans... Does that make any sense?
- FUN OPEN ROOF, GREAT FOOD AND MUSIC RESTAURANTDianeAlohaDined on 11/16/2014This unique restaurant offers you a view of the moon and stars while you dine listening to a variety of wonderful music of your choice offered Thurs. through Sunday. I especially love the Olliephonic Horns big band sound and Lorenzo's Army for old time good rock and roll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrendaSaskCanadaDined on 11/13/2014Amazing experience all around!! We were there twice in a two week holiday!! We love the ambiance. The live music is a wonderful addition and the food...unbelievable!! Special shout out to our server Greg!! Knowledgeable and charming!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience on the big island!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/13/2014We were pleasantly surprised by the Blue Dragon! Everything was perfect from the service, to the live music they had performing, and of course the food. I ordered the chicken and waffles, which was a very interesting take on the dish. The chicken was perfectly crisp and had a sweet skin, the waffles were the savory part of the dish. Seriously, everything was great and I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KeoneDined on 11/9/2014Unique restaurant, great and innovative drink and menu items, outstanding live music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGraybeardDined on 11/7/2014I made a reservation here early in our trip and cancelled after driving by. I couldn't ignore the reviews and made a second reservation. Food is all fresh and sourced locally. Dinner was excellent. So good that we are returning tonight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dancin DragonOuiniVIPDined on 11/6/2014change of pace on the Big Island - lots of fun, good music, friendly atmosphere, great service, novel drinks, and surprisingly good food to boot. will put on the must return list for future Hawaiian trips.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!GuitlawDined on 11/6/2014We had been to Blue Dragon about 4 years ago for a special event, and were pleasantly surprised then. This time, we decided to try them for dinner - absolutely everything turned out great. Food, service, music (a single singer/guitar player), everything! Blue Dragon is definitely on our favorites list for the Big Island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to miss, One of a kind...8rosyDined on 11/2/2014The Blue Dragon is the ultimate Big Island experience for dining and entertainment. It is a supper club open to the sky with a stage, dance floor and on the 1st and 3rd Sunday the Olliephonic Horns - playing all the standard big band tunes. Good food, friendly service beautiful atmosphere.Special Features:
- consistently awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014This place just rocks. From arrival to dessert, top notch. Knowledgable staff, fantastic food, and great music. What more could you ask for?Special Features:
- Halloween at the Blue DragonBonsaiNanVIPDined on 10/31/2014On this night Rainbow Band rocked!!! The restaurant celebrated with fabulous decorations and a special "ghoulish menu." Patrons and waitstaff dressed in costumes -- it was the best Halloween ever! We ordered a well-priced red wine and four appetizers, two from the special menu and two from the regular. On the special menu, Chef Noah had prepared sausage made from what might be considered the less desirable parts of a lamb, and served it with lamb liver (so well prepared) and wonderful sauces. Crispy chicken wings and French Fries were perfectly prepared. And the summer vegetable rolls (I hope these go into winter) were great, as always. Can't wait to go back and discover the next food delights Chef Noah puts together.Special Features:
- Must experience!MidwestReviewer7Dined on 10/31/2014Excellent dining experience again. We both had NY strip (only cut available), it was juicy, seasoned to perfection and arrived hot. The Mexican shrimp appetizer was delightfully spicy. It was served with avocado slices and tortilla chips. The Red (Cosmo) and Green (Mojito) Dragon cocktails were creative and the perfect size/strength. The restaurant open air dining ambiance overrode the lack of an ocean view. The Rainbow Band was exceptional and played all the tunes you know. Not for children. Leave them at home so adults are able to enjoy the dining and music/dancing.Special Features:
- Great outdoor diningfrequentdinerDined on 10/30/2014Nice find on the Big Island. Well worth the trip. Only open certain days so call before going.Special Features:
- Great Food and MusicFoodieDined on 10/30/2014The food was excellent and the music delightful with a lovely outdoor setting. The wait staff was super!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always spot onPattyDined on 10/30/2014Every year we return to the Big Island. The Blue Dragon is one of our favorite spots. It's very cool with the open ceiling. Dining under the stars is awesome. The food is always great..and so is he service. We love ge music, especially when a slack key guitarist is there. John Keawe is our favorite. But they are all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BigStarDined on 10/26/2014It defies description! Food is great and service is excellent and there is entertainment to boot! Casual atmosphere !! What's not to like? it's Hawaii!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place - rain made it memorableComanchepilotVIPDined on 10/26/2014It never rains in this part of the Big Island. Yet, right after we ordered - it started and it was little bit more than liquid sunshine. They had no umbrella that would fit where we sat. So we moved. Service was timely and properly attentive. The special beef appetizer and the steak special I ate were very tasty. Fussy presentation. Light on sauces in dry dishes. We received a small complementary chocolate mousse cake dessert that was very tasty. Wine list was very pricey for only moderate quality wines.
- Hipszer/KnightMelzieDined on 10/25/2014Wonderful food selections along with drinks and wine. Attentive service, great dinner music and later the band struck up some great dance music. Adults and kids were having fun, fun, FUN.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiningInKawaihaeNoviceFoodieDined on 10/23/2014Reviews we read were all good but this place exceeded our expectations. We had the catch of the day (Mahi Mahi) and pork chop dinner. Both were wonderful, the fish just melted in your mouth and the pork chop was very tender, cooked to perfection. The live music made this the perfect atmosphere for a wonderful evening of dining in Hawaii.Special Features:
- Blue Dragon is AwesomeDarrellandKarlaDined on 10/23/2014Two nights in a row at the Blue Dragon. The restaurant has really great open air seating, one advantage besides being beautiful is that the noise level is not high. Both nights they had very entertaining live music, very different with a rock cover band the second night. However, the volume was just right, loud enough that you could hear the music, but you could still talk. The food was phenomenal, local ingredients for the fruit vegetables, fish, Coppa Ham, etc. Very creative appetizers including the famous "Living Salad". We had the Fresh Catch, the Pasta, Fish Tacos, Dragon Balls, a fabulous local cantaloupe and Coppa ham appetizer. All were first rate. On side made ice creams and gelatos were exceptionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent farm to table foodHodgeDined on 10/16/2014We dined here on the recommendation of our local hosts. We had an excellent evening with great service, incredible food, and wonderful entertainment. We loved our first night so much, we returned several days later to experience different music and sample other menu items. Again, we were thrilled with our evening...food, service, ambiance...this place, people, and chef delivered. Do not miss this restaurant if you are travelling to the Big Island!Special Features:
- a fun, tasty meallavagrrlDined on 10/16/2014Fun place! The food was very fresh and prepared well. The live music and hula was lovely.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soothing EnvironmentMarthaTDined on 10/12/2014The outdoor dining experience, open area and soothing and very relaxing music while dining made for a wonderful night out. Jazz singer and keyboard were superb. Dinner options were original with excellent taste and reasonably priced, too. I highly recommend the Blue Dragon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh, creative, funfoodiegalDined on 10/11/2014My experience at the Blue Dragon was stellar. Chef Noah's living salad comes to the table with a pair of scissors to clip the lettuces which are literally brought to the table growing. His delicious homemade dressing and sides complimented the freshest salad I ever ate. 3 of our group have never been there before and all of them loved their food from yummy grilled burgers made with locsl beef and homemade fries to the fresh local catch of the day. If that weren't enough, the Tomi Isobe Band was excellent, and the dance floor roomy enough to have a great time. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great way to celebrate anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014We tried the Blue Dragon at the recommendation of the owner of the condo where we were staying. So glad we did. Fun, upbeat ambience, great band. Food was good (however if you are a major foodie and that is your top priority, I would go to Merriman's). We appreciated that our server Nathan emphasized that even though we had finished our meal, we were welcome to stay and dance or enjoy the band as long as we wanted.Special Features:
- My favorite fun spotLeah96740Dined on 10/10/2014The Blue Dragon serves locally grown produce and does a magnificent job with everything on their menu. Brandon, the bartender, mixes up a specialty drink each weekend that is a must try. The wait staff makes you feel like family and very knowledgable about the menu. Live music is part of the charm of this no roof venue. Depending on the night, the music could range from Jazz, Blues, Latin, Classic Rock, Zydeco, Hawaiian or anything in between. If you are on the Big Island of Hawaii, this restaurant and music hot spot is a must do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great funOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/9/2014Brought visiting family there and had a blast The menu is terrific and we all had one of the tasty drinks the bartender createsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & live music4foodiesDined on 10/5/2014We had a wonderful dinner; the lamb chops were cooked perfectly (medium rare) and the fresh catch was moist and not overcooked. The coconut panna cotta was awesome and a perfect ending to a fantastic meal. The music venue on this night was jazz; we loved the band and we will be there the next time they play.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great night at Blue DragonKahelelaniDined on 10/4/2014It was a birthday celebration. We often go to Blue Dragon, the food is delicious, they are gluten free, dairy free options. This is crucial for me and my dietary needs. We made reservations online, so easy to do, if your desired arrival time is not available, options are given. We arrived and the place was HOPPING. A private party on the lanai prevented us from sitting at our favourite spot, we were seated inside. The upholstered benches were so comfy and it gave the option for my husband and I to snuggle together. That was fun! Our server, Craig, is always awesome. The drinks were delicious, the food scrumptous, and the service was fast. Another great night at the Blue Dragon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maydoitagain30milesawayDined on 10/4/2014Food was tasty, but the garlic bread was burnt! Great entertainment. Loved the open air concept.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014Great local Restaurant providing known/local island musicians. Excellent food and service, with open air dining atmosphere.Special Features:
- A Neighborhood GemBonsaiNanVIPDined on 10/4/2014The Blue Dragon is back from a one month hiatus with an explosion. This night the Kona Gold Blues Band had everyone up moving and grooving on the dance floor. Chef Noah offered specials that were "lick your plate" good. My husband and I started with Big Island Beef Bao Buns (Special) and the Vegetable Spring Rolls (Regular Menu). Then we ordered the Sword Fish special with a vegetable medley and incredible sauces/toppings -- we wanted more, more, more... Everything was locally sourced and as fresh as could be. The wine was reasonably priced and great value. And desert with "made on site" Kona Coffee and Toasted Coconut Ice Creams finished the meal nicely. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great Food, Outstanding service !luvbigislandDined on 10/3/2014We are local here on the Big Island and simply the Blue Dragon has the best food from local farms , OUTSTANDING service and always great music.Special Features:
- All the elementsMontereyJohnDined on 10/2/2014Food and service Great. Single musician with guitar was very good but we were seated right under a speaker and it was louder than it needed to be. This will be one of our favorites going forward. Watch out for the speakers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nana MOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Excellent food with outstanding service! We had appetizer, main dish and dessert. Everything was great. Also, very clean bathrooms:) We would highly recommend to anyone visiting the Big Island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Great band and great food. Nice.thats all i have to say. I hate being told i need to say more. Annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyone.DianeDined on 8/29/2014We visited on a Friday evening. There were families dining, groups, seniors ( including ourselves), younger couples all enjoying the evening. Many were regulars as the very popular band Rainbow Band was playing. The music was very enjoyable and not so loud allowing conversation to be enjoyed by diners. We thought the menu was most creative which made it more enjoyable for us. I had the pan seared fresh catch with creamy polenta and fresh vegetables which was good although maybe the polenta could have been less firm. My husband had the South American Surf which this night included tiger prawns and catch of the day with fresh vegetables and whipped potatoes which also was good, but he did not care for the flavor of the prawns.
- Good music, great food!SuchefVIPDined on 8/28/2014Blue Dragon has an amazing menu. Everything we ordered was delicious, fresh, and very tasty. It has a beautiful, casual outdoor setting with great live music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening!ec67VIPDined on 8/23/2014Yummy food, great music and very fun vibe! Our waiter, Nathan, was excellent! His level of professionalism felt more like we were in fine dining. Def recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For OT Thompson's birthdayTwilson808Dined on 8/23/2014We celebrated a dear family member's birthday. Every family member, kids up to adults, had a memorable time. Food, music and care we received from your waitstaff was the best. We will be returning; thanks for taking care of us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.