Blue Dragon Restaurant
61-3616 Kawaihae Road
Kamuela, HI 96743Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: $30 and under
Blue Dragon Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluedragonhawaii.com/
- Phone: 8088827771x2
- Hours of Operation:
Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Hawaii Regional Cuisine, International
- Executive Chef: Noah Hester
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Enjoy any special night at The Blue Dragon Restaurant. Take advantage of The Best Dining Atmosphere in a more intimate setting. The restaurant is available for private events seven days a week. We offer Professional Chefs, Pastry Chef, Wait Staff, Bartenders, Sound Technician and more. Our restaurant is Romantic, Fun, Friendly, Interactive and Elegant.
- Entertainment: Voted Best Live Music two years in a row! The Blue Dragon features live music every Thursday through Sunday. Our monthly schedule is on our website. We regularly feature Hoku Award winners & nominees. The Blue Dragon exclusively hosts The Big Island's biggest big band...The Ollie phonic Horns among many other stand-outs. Whether you enjoy Jazz, Hawaiian, Classic Rock, Swing, Salsa or Blues the Blue Dragon is the place to listen, dine and dance under the stars.
A word from Blue Dragon Restaurant
Recently voted Best Dining Atmosphere, Family Entertainment, Bartender, Live Music and Night Spot by West Hawaii Today. Our fresh, festive food features global, coastal flavors and offers the freshest of ingredients, from locally caught fish to produce from our own organic farm. We proudly offer vegetarian, vegan, and/or gluten free options as well as just enough meat and the freshest of seafood! Our young and talented chef team sincerely loves to create the most amazing dishes with the finest local and seasonal products available. We feature live music nightly (when we are open for dinner Thursdays through Sundays) and offer the best talent and a wide array of musical styles. If the music moves you, get up and dance right under the stars as our dining area has no roof!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Blue Dragon Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Kawaihae ›
Blue Dragon Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (62)neighborhood gem (32)good for groups (28)fit for foodies (27)special occasion (25)kid-friendly (24)vibrant bar scene (22)romantic (19)hot spot (17)late-night find (11)scenic view (9)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Nana MOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Excellent food with outstanding service! We had appetizer, main dish and dessert. Everything was great. Also, very clean bathrooms:) We would highly recommend to anyone visiting the Big Island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Great band and great food. Nice.thats all i have to say. I hate being told i need to say more. Annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyone.DianeDined on 8/29/2014We visited on a Friday evening. There were families dining, groups, seniors ( including ourselves), younger couples all enjoying the evening. Many were regulars as the very popular band Rainbow Band was playing. The music was very enjoyable and not so loud allowing conversation to be enjoyed by diners. We thought the menu was most creative which made it more enjoyable for us. I had the pan seared fresh catch with creamy polenta and fresh vegetables which was good although maybe the polenta could have been less firm. My husband had the South American Surf which this night included tiger prawns and catch of the day with fresh vegetables and whipped potatoes which also was good, but he did not care for the flavor of the prawns.
- Good music, great food!SuchefVIPDined on 8/28/2014Blue Dragon has an amazing menu. Everything we ordered was delicious, fresh, and very tasty. It has a beautiful, casual outdoor setting with great live music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening!ec67Dined on 8/23/2014Yummy food, great music and very fun vibe! Our waiter, Nathan, was excellent! His level of professionalism felt more like we were in fine dining. Def recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For OT Thompson's birthdayTwilson808Dined on 8/23/2014We celebrated a dear family member's birthday. Every family member, kids up to adults, had a memorable time. Food, music and care we received from your waitstaff was the best. We will be returning; thanks for taking care of us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place to eat and danceSuesDined on 8/22/2014We had a great birthday dinner with Friends and we enjoyed dancing, even kids were having a lot of fun dancing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food, music and starslabia19foodieDined on 8/16/2014The food was generally good. Some portions were moderate and others were quite small. The vegetables looked local and fresh as was the fish. However the service was very poor. The hostess was very rude and mean and exhibited zero aloha. Our waitperson acted like they wanted to be somewhere else and couldn't care less if we enjoyed the meal or not. The band that evening was very good.
- Enjoyable Dining with MusicOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Excellent Service, Reservation honored promptly, good pre music group guitarI would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014we had been told by 2 folks that we must go eat here. SO GLAD we took them up on their suggestion - wonderful memory of our great trip!!Special Features:
- Too CrowedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014We Love the Blue Dragon and this evening Olliphinics were playing, a favorite band. The resturant was super crowed and so the normal ambiance we enjoy at Blue Dragon was not up to par.Special Features:
- Great food and musicLaVillaDined on 8/2/2014We tried to dine at the Blue Dragon as many times as we could during our recent stay on the Big Island so that we could listen to live music - and the restaurant serves excellent food as it seems to specially focus on the quality ingredients (relying on organic locally-grown produce and meet and freshly caught seafood). Most importantly, the restaurant, that also calls itself a musiquarium, presents local and visiting musicians who play live music Thursday through Sunday night. Our latest visit coincided with the performance of Tomi Isobe Blues Band which was very enjoyable and provided ample dancing opportunities for the patrons. Our sever, Bo, displayed profound knowledge of the menu's intricacies and was extremely warm and hospitable.Special Features:
- Great Find!DLDAmDined on 7/31/2014We absolutely loved this place! Great venue which has unique outdoor dining. Our waitress was exceptional and the meal was delicious. We also enjoyed the entertainment.Special Features:
- Little gemOhemgeeDined on 7/27/2014I chose this cute restaurant after seeing it's great reviews on Yelp and Trip Advisor and it did not disappoint. The service was outstanding and my meal was delicious. Get the fish tacos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and live music!LindaDined on 7/26/2014Recently moved to the Big Island and tried the Blue Dragon. We had the burger and wings, which were top notch. Can't wait to go back and try some entrees! Loved the live music, the band was excellent!Special Features:
- Eat after sunset to avoid fliesPinotPaulVIPDined on 7/25/2014Very enjoyable restaurant with entertainment that starts around 6:30. Food is creative and much better than average. The only downside for us were the flies that magically appeared when our entrees arrived. There was a swarm that we had to fend off with our napkins. As the sun went down around 7pm fortunately they disappeared. So, time your visit to eat after sunset and you'll have a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great eveningLaVillaDined on 7/20/2014In the true spirit of "musiquarium" as this restaurant describes itself, we enjoyed food and music that was wonderfully performed by the Oleophonic Horns! There is a dancing area in front of the stage where diners were clearly enjoying themselves. Food was good - fresh catch of the day dishes and creative and very fresh salads. We do not live in Hawaii - so we can only visit this restaurant periodically. The previous time, we were here two years ago - and are happy to note that the high quality standards are still in place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Music and Great FoodsunurbunnsDined on 7/20/2014Great combination of interesting, well conceived and prepared food, with attentive but not intrusive service and some fun music to round it all out. Just about the only not-break-the-bank place on upper west side of the island. Try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!GoodgrubDined on 7/12/2014We can always count on a yummy meal here! Plenty of delicious vegetarian options, and delicious drink specials. And, of course, fun and energetic music!Special Features:
- Great food and entertainmentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014Wonderful place to enjoy a good meal, hear some local talent, and watch people of all ages dance and have fun!Special Features:
- What a Fun Night!FantasticDined on 7/11/2014We had so much fun at the Blue Dragon! The Island Boiz band was fantastic. FANTASTIC! There were a lot of happy people having a good time dancing to their upbeat music. Our waiter, Nathan, was awesome. So kind, so good, always smiling. I started with a delicious salad. My fish taco dish was yummy. It had just the right herbs and spices. We'll be back. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weird but interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2014Food was good... in some cases very good. Virtually no indoor dining so pray it does not rain. Live entertainment was cool but really loud. Crazy bad location across from industrial port.
- Not satisfied at allYuckDined on 7/10/2014Wanted to arrive at 6:00 but were told only reservations were 5:30 or 7:45. Arrived at 5:30. People without reservations were seated before us. Majority of tables remained empty until almost 8 p.m. Were seated at crummy location. Had to turn chair totally around to listen to music. Service was poor. Drinks were forgotten.Overpriced. Will not recommend to others.Only thing good was the music.
- The best restaurant on the islandOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/6/2014I love Blue Dragon. My favorite place on the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live MusicTrainerTVIPDined on 7/5/2014I loved my "Pipeline Pomodoro Pasta". It was the best thing I ate on my trip to Hawaii. My husband's fried chicken was burnt, however, when he mentioned it, the waitress brought him a new plate, which had better-cooked chicken. We thought the prices were too high, but enjoyed the live blues band. It was great to be able to dance under the stars.Special Features:
- Comfort Food at its bestBonsaiNanVIPDined on 7/5/2014Fried chicken (boneless and free range from Hawaii island), Greens w/bacon, Creamy Mashed Potatoes and gravy -- my spouse and I were in heaven. This was a special, but the fried chicken and waffles on the regular menu will transport you just the same. For an appetizer we tried the Vegetable Summer Rolls -- rice wrappers (not fried), stuffed w/mango and other veggies, and served with an "island tweaked" sweet & sour sauce -- beautiful presentation and taste. The Sangiovese wine was reasonably priced and a genuine value. The music this night was blues and the dance floor filled with delighted patrons, which included us. We love this restaurant.Special Features:
- Inventive cuisine and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2014Nice variety of dishes all infused with an island flair. From simple burgers to more complex pastas, steaks, and fresh fish specials. Live Music rounds out the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite place on the Big IslandDinedanceDined on 6/29/2014We always go to the Blue Dragon when on the Island. Never disappointed with the experience. Great food, service and entertainment. Don't miss going to this fine venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the Blue Dragon!1BaymomVIPDined on 6/26/2014We've passed by The Blue Dragon for years and never stopped for dinner. So glad we booked after reading great reviews. The service was warm and friendly, food terrific and the live music fantastic! The chef uses local ingredients to great result and this will be a new "must!" Be sure to try the Dragon Ballz:-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- melvinDined on 6/22/2014Went on the recommendation of Bo whom we met earlier in the day. She is a waitress at the restaurant. Our overall experience was very good. Good food, excellent service, good drinks. The live music was a bonus. Would definitely go again. Next time I'm requesting a table with chairs, not stools.Special Features:
- Awesome EntertainmentMaiTaisDined on 6/22/2014We so enjoyed John Keawe and his Ohana. Such great music and wonderful dance! Food was pretty good but not the best fish special I have had there. Drinks were great. Weather was perfect so we were gratefule for a beautiful night there.Special Features:
- Fast on their FeetOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014We went to the Blue Dragon this past Friday and experienced a very infrequent drenching rain on the Big Island. The staff at the Blue Dragon, especially our wait staff, did a great job of accommodating our needs and that of many others. They kept a great attitude and the service was great in spite of very challenging conditions. I will go back again.Special Features:
- nieceycDined on 6/21/2014Visiting from California, it was one of our best nights out. Great food. Wonderful ,efficient, knowledgable and friendly waitress. Energetic fun atmosphere with live music. Enjoyed it. I would go again, if I visit the Big Island again.Special Features:
- Super fun night!LovetoeatVIPDined on 6/20/2014What a great place! Music is always super, people of all ages, kids dancing under the stars. Food is delicious. This time we had the ahi poke appetizer, steak and a great burger. It's always a great night out.Special Features:
- Great food, Great musicBonsaiNanVIPDined on 5/31/2014For live music and dancing, Lorenzo's Army (Friday) and Bump City (Saturday) were the best this weekend. The specials in drinks and food have been beyond good. Chef made ahi dumplings with a soy truffle sauce (to die for), and has been offering specials on hamburgers all month. Peanut butter and waffles (as the bun) with range fed beef -- who knew it could be so good? For desert, mango madness captured our fancy -- mango ice cream served on a half mango with a sprinkling of chili (and some other flavors) -- creamy, sweet, very mild heat -- do it again! We normally order wine (very reasonably priced and good), but tried the bartender's island version of a mint julep one night --- it was just right on the hot night.Special Features:
- The following 714 reviews are from the Blue Dragon Restaurant reviews archive.
- Blue dragon and open air!TexterDined on 5/17/2014Great place to eat and listen/dance to live band. Restaurant is open air/no roof and great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great food and musicHawaiiGirlDined on 5/17/2014The atmosphere at Blue Dragon is great. The band that played while I was there was incredible. The server that we had was fair but the bussing staff was incredible. They would swoop in like a ninja and fill you water glass or take your empty plate without you ever knowing they were there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/16/2014Norrh Kohala music and dining. Great drinks, good food and wonderful real Hawaii ambience. Good music that is not overwhelming or intrusive. Fresh seafood is excellent. Terrific Big Island experience. Dine outside under the trees --magicSpecial Features:
- Wonderful, local food and music!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Dine and dance under blue sky (or stars)! Fresh local food excellently prepared, I had fresh catch and hubby a shrimp pasta. Dragon Balz appetizer was yummy, not too spicy, we each had a nice glass of wine, and house made ice cream for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tomi Isobe was hot!BonsaiNanVIPDined on 5/10/2014Several bands on island play good blues music with solid beats for dancing, and Tomi Isobe Blues Band is one of the best. The Blue Dragon is fortunate to book them about every 6 weeks. This night they kept the dance floor full and the restaurant buzzing with interested spectators. The food and drink was good, as always. My spouse and I ordered the fish tacos from the regular menu and enjoyed every bite. The restaurant makes its own sorbets and ice creams, and is not afraid to experiment with flavors. We had a special exotic fruit ice cream ( a type of chipotle) for desert which tasted like brown sugar and pear, but a bit too dry (not creamy) for our tastes. Still very interesting and worth the taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.