Blue Dragon Restaurant
61-3616 Kawaihae Road
Kamuela, HI 96743Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: $30 and under
Blue Dragon Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluedragonhawaii.com/
- Phone: 8088827771x2
- Hours of Operation:
Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Hawaii Regional Cuisine, International
- Executive Chef: Noah Hester
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Enjoy any special night at The Blue Dragon Restaurant. Take advantage of The Best Dining Atmosphere in a more intimate setting. The restaurant is available for private events seven days a week. We offer Professional Chefs, Pastry Chef, Wait Staff, Bartenders, Sound Technician and more. Our restaurant is Romantic, Fun, Friendly, Interactive and Elegant.
- Entertainment: Voted Best Live Music two years in a row! The Blue Dragon features live music every Thursday through Sunday. Our monthly schedule is on our website. We regularly feature Hoku Award winners & nominees. The Blue Dragon exclusively hosts The Big Island's biggest big band...The Ollie phonic Horns among many other stand-outs. Whether you enjoy Jazz, Hawaiian, Classic Rock, Swing, Salsa or Blues the Blue Dragon is the place to listen, dine and dance under the stars.
A word from Blue Dragon Restaurant
Recently voted Best Dining Atmosphere, Family Entertainment, Bartender, Live Music and Night Spot by West Hawaii Today. Our fresh, festive food features global, coastal flavors and offers the freshest of ingredients, from locally caught fish to produce from our own organic farm. We proudly offer vegetarian, vegan, and/or gluten free options as well as just enough meat and the freshest of seafood! Our young and talented chef team sincerely loves to create the most amazing dishes with the finest local and seasonal products available. We feature live music nightly (when we are open for dinner Thursdays through Sundays) and offer the best talent and a wide array of musical styles. If the music moves you, get up and dance right under the stars as our dining area has no roof!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Blue Dragon Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Kawaihae ›
Blue Dragon Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (68)neighborhood gem (34)fit for foodies (31)good for groups (31)special occasion (31)kid-friendly (25)hot spot (25)romantic (24)vibrant bar scene (21)late-night find (13)scenic view (9)notable wine list (7)Show More
- Excellent farm to table foodHodgeDined on 10/16/2014We dined here on the recommendation of our local hosts. We had an excellent evening with great service, incredible food, and wonderful entertainment. We loved our first night so much, we returned several days later to experience different music and sample other menu items. Again, we were thrilled with our evening...food, service, ambiance...this place, people, and chef delivered. Do not miss this restaurant if you are travelling to the Big Island!Special Features:
- a fun, tasty meallavagrrlDined on 10/16/2014Fun place! The food was very fresh and prepared well. The live music and hula was lovely.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soothing EnvironmentMarthaTDined on 10/12/2014The outdoor dining experience, open area and soothing and very relaxing music while dining made for a wonderful night out. Jazz singer and keyboard were superb. Dinner options were original with excellent taste and reasonably priced, too. I highly recommend the Blue Dragon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh, creative, funfoodiegalDined on 10/11/2014My experience at the Blue Dragon was stellar. Chef Noah's living salad comes to the table with a pair of scissors to clip the lettuces which are literally brought to the table growing. His delicious homemade dressing and sides complimented the freshest salad I ever ate. 3 of our group have never been there before and all of them loved their food from yummy grilled burgers made with locsl beef and homemade fries to the fresh local catch of the day. If that weren't enough, the Tomi Isobe Band was excellent, and the dance floor roomy enough to have a great time. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great way to celebrate anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014We tried the Blue Dragon at the recommendation of the owner of the condo where we were staying. So glad we did. Fun, upbeat ambience, great band. Food was good (however if you are a major foodie and that is your top priority, I would go to Merriman's). We appreciated that our server Nathan emphasized that even though we had finished our meal, we were welcome to stay and dance or enjoy the band as long as we wanted.Special Features:
- My favorite fun spotLeah96740Dined on 10/10/2014The Blue Dragon serves locally grown produce and does a magnificent job with everything on their menu. Brandon, the bartender, mixes up a specialty drink each weekend that is a must try. The wait staff makes you feel like family and very knowledgable about the menu. Live music is part of the charm of this no roof venue. Depending on the night, the music could range from Jazz, Blues, Latin, Classic Rock, Zydeco, Hawaiian or anything in between. If you are on the Big Island of Hawaii, this restaurant and music hot spot is a must do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great funOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/9/2014Brought visiting family there and had a blast The menu is terrific and we all had one of the tasty drinks the bartender createsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & live music4foodiesDined on 10/5/2014We had a wonderful dinner; the lamb chops were cooked perfectly (medium rare) and the fresh catch was moist and not overcooked. The coconut panna cotta was awesome and a perfect ending to a fantastic meal. The music venue on this night was jazz; we loved the band and we will be there the next time they play.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great night at Blue DragonKahelelaniDined on 10/4/2014It was a birthday celebration. We often go to Blue Dragon, the food is delicious, they are gluten free, dairy free options. This is crucial for me and my dietary needs. We made reservations online, so easy to do, if your desired arrival time is not available, options are given. We arrived and the place was HOPPING. A private party on the lanai prevented us from sitting at our favourite spot, we were seated inside. The upholstered benches were so comfy and it gave the option for my husband and I to snuggle together. That was fun! Our server, Craig, is always awesome. The drinks were delicious, the food scrumptous, and the service was fast. Another great night at the Blue Dragon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maydoitagain30milesawayDined on 10/4/2014Food was tasty, but the garlic bread was burnt! Great entertainment. Loved the open air concept.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014Great local Restaurant providing known/local island musicians. Excellent food and service, with open air dining atmosphere.Special Features:
- A Neighborhood GemBonsaiNanVIPDined on 10/4/2014The Blue Dragon is back from a one month hiatus with an explosion. This night the Kona Gold Blues Band had everyone up moving and grooving on the dance floor. Chef Noah offered specials that were "lick your plate" good. My husband and I started with Big Island Beef Bao Buns (Special) and the Vegetable Spring Rolls (Regular Menu). Then we ordered the Sword Fish special with a vegetable medley and incredible sauces/toppings -- we wanted more, more, more... Everything was locally sourced and as fresh as could be. The wine was reasonably priced and great value. And desert with "made on site" Kona Coffee and Toasted Coconut Ice Creams finished the meal nicely. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great Food, Outstanding service !luvbigislandDined on 10/3/2014We are local here on the Big Island and simply the Blue Dragon has the best food from local farms , OUTSTANDING service and always great music.Special Features:
- All the elementsMontereyJohnDined on 10/2/2014Food and service Great. Single musician with guitar was very good but we were seated right under a speaker and it was louder than it needed to be. This will be one of our favorites going forward. Watch out for the speakers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nana MOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Excellent food with outstanding service! We had appetizer, main dish and dessert. Everything was great. Also, very clean bathrooms:) We would highly recommend to anyone visiting the Big Island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Great band and great food. Nice.thats all i have to say. I hate being told i need to say more. Annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyone.DianeDined on 8/29/2014We visited on a Friday evening. There were families dining, groups, seniors ( including ourselves), younger couples all enjoying the evening. Many were regulars as the very popular band Rainbow Band was playing. The music was very enjoyable and not so loud allowing conversation to be enjoyed by diners. We thought the menu was most creative which made it more enjoyable for us. I had the pan seared fresh catch with creamy polenta and fresh vegetables which was good although maybe the polenta could have been less firm. My husband had the South American Surf which this night included tiger prawns and catch of the day with fresh vegetables and whipped potatoes which also was good, but he did not care for the flavor of the prawns.
- Good music, great food!SuchefVIPDined on 8/28/2014Blue Dragon has an amazing menu. Everything we ordered was delicious, fresh, and very tasty. It has a beautiful, casual outdoor setting with great live music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening!ec67VIPDined on 8/23/2014Yummy food, great music and very fun vibe! Our waiter, Nathan, was excellent! His level of professionalism felt more like we were in fine dining. Def recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For OT Thompson's birthdayTwilson808Dined on 8/23/2014We celebrated a dear family member's birthday. Every family member, kids up to adults, had a memorable time. Food, music and care we received from your waitstaff was the best. We will be returning; thanks for taking care of us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place to eat and danceSuesDined on 8/22/2014We had a great birthday dinner with Friends and we enjoyed dancing, even kids were having a lot of fun dancing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food, music and starslabia19foodieDined on 8/16/2014The food was generally good. Some portions were moderate and others were quite small. The vegetables looked local and fresh as was the fish. However the service was very poor. The hostess was very rude and mean and exhibited zero aloha. Our waitperson acted like they wanted to be somewhere else and couldn't care less if we enjoyed the meal or not. The band that evening was very good.
- Enjoyable Dining with MusicOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Excellent Service, Reservation honored promptly, good pre music group guitarI would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014we had been told by 2 folks that we must go eat here. SO GLAD we took them up on their suggestion - wonderful memory of our great trip!!Special Features:
- Too CrowedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014We Love the Blue Dragon and this evening Olliphinics were playing, a favorite band. The resturant was super crowed and so the normal ambiance we enjoy at Blue Dragon was not up to par.Special Features:
- Great food and musicLaVillaDined on 8/2/2014We tried to dine at the Blue Dragon as many times as we could during our recent stay on the Big Island so that we could listen to live music - and the restaurant serves excellent food as it seems to specially focus on the quality ingredients (relying on organic locally-grown produce and meet and freshly caught seafood). Most importantly, the restaurant, that also calls itself a musiquarium, presents local and visiting musicians who play live music Thursday through Sunday night. Our latest visit coincided with the performance of Tomi Isobe Blues Band which was very enjoyable and provided ample dancing opportunities for the patrons. Our sever, Bo, displayed profound knowledge of the menu's intricacies and was extremely warm and hospitable.Special Features:
- Great Find!DLDAmDined on 7/31/2014We absolutely loved this place! Great venue which has unique outdoor dining. Our waitress was exceptional and the meal was delicious. We also enjoyed the entertainment.Special Features:
- Little gemOhemgeeDined on 7/27/2014I chose this cute restaurant after seeing it's great reviews on Yelp and Trip Advisor and it did not disappoint. The service was outstanding and my meal was delicious. Get the fish tacos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and live music!LindaDined on 7/26/2014Recently moved to the Big Island and tried the Blue Dragon. We had the burger and wings, which were top notch. Can't wait to go back and try some entrees! Loved the live music, the band was excellent!Special Features:
- Eat after sunset to avoid fliesPinotPaulVIPDined on 7/25/2014Very enjoyable restaurant with entertainment that starts around 6:30. Food is creative and much better than average. The only downside for us were the flies that magically appeared when our entrees arrived. There was a swarm that we had to fend off with our napkins. As the sun went down around 7pm fortunately they disappeared. So, time your visit to eat after sunset and you'll have a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great eveningLaVillaDined on 7/20/2014In the true spirit of "musiquarium" as this restaurant describes itself, we enjoyed food and music that was wonderfully performed by the Oleophonic Horns! There is a dancing area in front of the stage where diners were clearly enjoying themselves. Food was good - fresh catch of the day dishes and creative and very fresh salads. We do not live in Hawaii - so we can only visit this restaurant periodically. The previous time, we were here two years ago - and are happy to note that the high quality standards are still in place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Music and Great FoodsunurbunnsDined on 7/20/2014Great combination of interesting, well conceived and prepared food, with attentive but not intrusive service and some fun music to round it all out. Just about the only not-break-the-bank place on upper west side of the island. Try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!GoodgrubDined on 7/12/2014We can always count on a yummy meal here! Plenty of delicious vegetarian options, and delicious drink specials. And, of course, fun and energetic music!Special Features:
- Great food and entertainmentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014Wonderful place to enjoy a good meal, hear some local talent, and watch people of all ages dance and have fun!Special Features:
- What a Fun Night!FantasticDined on 7/11/2014We had so much fun at the Blue Dragon! The Island Boiz band was fantastic. FANTASTIC! There were a lot of happy people having a good time dancing to their upbeat music. Our waiter, Nathan, was awesome. So kind, so good, always smiling. I started with a delicious salad. My fish taco dish was yummy. It had just the right herbs and spices. We'll be back. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weird but interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2014Food was good... in some cases very good. Virtually no indoor dining so pray it does not rain. Live entertainment was cool but really loud. Crazy bad location across from industrial port.
- Not satisfied at allYuckDined on 7/10/2014Wanted to arrive at 6:00 but were told only reservations were 5:30 or 7:45. Arrived at 5:30. People without reservations were seated before us. Majority of tables remained empty until almost 8 p.m. Were seated at crummy location. Had to turn chair totally around to listen to music. Service was poor. Drinks were forgotten.Overpriced. Will not recommend to others.Only thing good was the music.
- The best restaurant on the islandOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/6/2014I love Blue Dragon. My favorite place on the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live MusicTrainerTVIPDined on 7/5/2014I loved my "Pipeline Pomodoro Pasta". It was the best thing I ate on my trip to Hawaii. My husband's fried chicken was burnt, however, when he mentioned it, the waitress brought him a new plate, which had better-cooked chicken. We thought the prices were too high, but enjoyed the live blues band. It was great to be able to dance under the stars.Special Features:
- Comfort Food at its bestBonsaiNanVIPDined on 7/5/2014Fried chicken (boneless and free range from Hawaii island), Greens w/bacon, Creamy Mashed Potatoes and gravy -- my spouse and I were in heaven. This was a special, but the fried chicken and waffles on the regular menu will transport you just the same. For an appetizer we tried the Vegetable Summer Rolls -- rice wrappers (not fried), stuffed w/mango and other veggies, and served with an "island tweaked" sweet & sour sauce -- beautiful presentation and taste. The Sangiovese wine was reasonably priced and a genuine value. The music this night was blues and the dance floor filled with delighted patrons, which included us. We love this restaurant.Special Features: