Blue Cow kitchen & bar
350 South Grand Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90071Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
Blue Cow kitchen & bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluecowkitchen.com/
- Phone: 2136212249
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30 am - 2:30 pm Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:30 - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Joshua Smith
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: 3rd street
- Public Transit: One block north of the Pershing Square stop on the Red Line.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Blue Cow offers valet parking directly in front of the building daily beginning at 5:00 pm for $9. Validated parking is also available in the building's self park garage (350 S Olive St).
A word from Blue Cow kitchen & bar
Blue Cow is an upscale, full-service New-American restaurant serving innovative sandwiches, seasonal cocktails, craft beers, small plates and entrees that showcase local farming and artisan products, inspired by taking the approachable and giving it a modern interpretation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blue Cow kitchen & bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- I actually had a hard timeJoycevVIPDined on 5/16/2013I actually had a hard time deciding what to order; everything sounded good. In the end I finally ordered the Burger "Mario Style" w/ the candied jalapeños, bacon and aged cheddar. I also added the mini baked then fried potatoes for an extra $2.00. Let me tell you, these burgers are huge and a challenge to eat but I was up for the challenge. Wow! A juicy tasty burger with a nice spicy twist. I'll have to bring my friend Claudia here since the burgers come standard with lettuce and tomato. The potatoes, although a big portion were so crunchy and tasty that I ate them all. I did only eat half my burger and boxed the rest to go. Service was great and I'm definitely coming back w/ the hubby to try the rest of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere and greatandrewDined on 5/11/2013Great atmosphere and great food in downtown LA. Love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ambience outside was adnsse1979Dined on 5/10/2013The ambience outside was a young professionals scene from downtown, pretty much all looking to unwind after work. Several large groups. Seemed fun and energetic. The i nside was a little more romantic, but the noise level was still comparable to the outside. Food was ok, nothing crazy special, but not bad eitherSpecial Features:
- Great food but noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/10/2013The food here is delicious. Unfortunately the acoustics are poor so one has to shout across the table. And the loud music does not help. Make it a better dining experience by turning off the "music" and allowing diners to enjoy their lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food to shout aboutNearbyWorkerDined on 5/7/2013In fact, you have to shout because it's so incredibly loud inside this restaurant, but the food is delicious! I eat here regularly and am always pleased with everything. The chef and bar folks take such care with ingredients and combinations; it's always a wonderful meal. If you don't like spicy food, be sure to ask before ordering as there is sometimes a kick to unexpected plates. Also, be aware that the pickling craze has definitely hit Blue Cow. Love that there's somewhere yummy to go in this area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Difficult Blue CowOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2013We made a group reservation for outside for happy hour. When we got there, we were told that we couldn't sit outside as there was an event and then they proceeded to make us wait before walking us to our table inside and tell us happy hour was over. I had to push to at least see the menu. Cut to our table of eight eating dinner inside. Then, when we left, we noticed multiple tables open outside and no sign of an event. None. The hostess was difficult and rude and honestly, there are a number of places that would've seen the value in our large party, honored the request and that are more accessible (this place you have to go into a parking garage for). Forget Blue Cow. It's not worth it.
- Blue CowPortcomDined on 5/2/2013Our group ( 4) went to Blue Cow for dinner prior to a concert @ Disney Hall. Great location, 2 blocks from the theatre. Excellent service; sensitive to our time constraints. Took server's recommendations and loved them ( flatbread app, great roasted veggie salad, pork and bacon sandwich. Only negative: pricey drinks were tiny; I expect a good pour for $$$. Would definitely go back, but would drink beer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice, not hotOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/2/2013started out in the middle of the patio at lunch and ended up having to move to the shade. lovely place, and excellent food. just watch the reflection of all those windows.Special Features:
- The PlaceGregDined on 4/27/2013This could be the best food in LA, though that is hard to prove. Still, for fresh, clean food, ambiance, and service, this is the place.Special Features:
- Love the food. Something differentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013Love the food. Something different and very tasty.Special Features:
- I had heard about Blue CowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/27/2013I had heard about Blue Cow from friends so naturally I was curious. I am a regular at their sandwich shop, Mendocino Farms. I previewed the menu beforehand, thinking I'd find some gems. I was shocked at how small the menu was. None-the-less, I thought perhaps the small menu meant they did small, but did it right. To be fair and completely honest, I thought it was just okay. The staff was friendly enough, but no one seemed particularly stoked to be working. We dined early, at 5:15, because we were catching a 7:30 show and needed driving and parking time. We ordered a few appetizers and immediately commented on their small size. I ordered the curried culliflower. Now, I'm not a wimp when it comes to spices by any means, but that sh@t was hot!Special Features:
- Must go!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/24/2013This place was packed went I arrived for lunch and I loved the vibe. I like restaurants that serve food with tons of flavors, sauces and ingenuity. I never eat french fries but their Baked Then Fried Potatoes were OUTSTANDING. I could not get enough of them. I shared the Turkey Club and the Short Rib roll and they were delicious. I loved the gruyere and the horseradish crème fraiche. There is so much more on the menu I must try!Special Features:
- I came here for a businessOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/24/2013I came here for a business lunch and thought the food was very good. It was very noisy inside and it was a little hard to hear. The waitress nice, but the service was slow. They validate parking at the California Plaza for two hours ($3), but I went over 21 minutes and had to pay almost $16 for parking. I wish I would've known how expensive it would be and that the food hadn't taken so long to come out.Special Features:
- The location in Downtown isLa1960VIPDined on 4/22/2013The location in Downtown is nice. It's interesting to be among the tall buildings. Sitting outside was very comfortable.Special Features:
- Came here on a Saturday night,Pinky00000VIPDined on 4/20/2013Came here on a Saturday night, it seems that this would be a better after-work type of place. Service was adequate, but slow.Special Features:
- The food and bar drinks areCathyDined on 4/20/2013The food and bar drinks are particular good and great for the whole family. My twenty-something 'grown-up kids' enjoyed the food & drink selections as much as I did. It was a first for all of us, we'll go back for sure. Booking this dinner reservation via open table was quite convenient too.Special Features:
- This was our first time ataminlaVIPDined on 4/19/2013This was our first time at Blue Cow. Food was great and the service attentive.Special Features:
- Great view of downtowns cityscapeGabbysDadoDined on 4/19/2013Great view of downtowns cityscape . Food is great sustainable farmed and creative.Special Features:
- Blue Cow is fine for a quickOpenDinerDined on 4/19/2013Blue Cow is fine for a quick get-together after work, I think, for those working right around there. It was pretty crowded. There's good outdoor space, and the indoor space opens out onto it, which is nice. There's a full bar. The food was good but nothing really special, our server was very nice and took good care of us. Really, though, it's more like a cafeteria in feel than a restaurant. I guess I would recommend it to people who are looking for that kind of experience, but we weren't and so were kind of surprised.
- Great location to just sitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/18/2013Great location to just sit with friends to catch up during lunch.Special Features:
- Loved this place. Maybe myOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/17/2013Loved this place. Maybe my new favorite place in LA. Amazing, smart food. Great cocktails.Special Features:
- Delicious food and fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/15/2013Delicious food and fabulous service. A little too much of the happy-hour scene for our purposes this visit, but that's not the restaurant's fault. Decor was a little contrived for me. Very much a downtown resto.Special Features:
- Where is the service?BrothersDined on 4/15/2013I have been to Blue Cow Kitchen many times for dinner. The food is always reliable and good. This time the service was poor. It took a while to get our waitress to take our order, it took a while to get our drinks and we were never checked on once by our waitress. I like going to Blue Cow when going to events at Disney, Dorthy Chandler, MOCA, etc.. because it is a nice alternative to Patina and CPK. I left this visit feeling disappointed.Special Features:
- Fun place with limited menuSmmphdVIPDined on 4/13/2013Fun place with limited menu (more for light meals) and great drink menu. Definitely a fun find in downtown LA. All the food was excellent. Service was casual, friendly and fun.Special Features:
- What a surprise! Great food...fastThleenDined on 4/13/2013What a surprise! Great food...fast service...fun atmosphere...perfect before the theatre!Special Features:
- Excellent food with unusualOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2013Excellent food with unusual combinations of tastes. Excellent and prompt service. Great place to catch a bite before the theatre.Special Features:
- Very popular place with unusualOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/11/2013Very popular place with unusual menu items. Lots of people there enjoying Happy Hour when we arrived. Has items for vegans and vegetarians as well as omnivores like me. I had a great hamburger. Our appetizer was grilled purple cauliflower. We were having dinner before a play at the Ahmanson. I made our waitress aware of our time constraint and she accommodated us perfectly. The noise level might not work for everyone but I would certainly go there again. It was great!Special Features:
- Great place to tryKimboDined on 4/6/2013The menu is pretty small, but I was there with a group of 6 and everyone really enjoyed their food. The curried cauliflower was especially yummy. Our server was spot on. I loved the energy inside the restaurant.Special Features:
- OMG the burger! I order mineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/6/2013OMG the burger! I order mine with a fried egg & fries. A burger & fries may sound pedestrian, but I'm hooked on it. The bun is not "all bread"--the perfectly seasoned meat remains juicy & you can actually taste something besides carbs. It's spread with a spicy remoulade, the butter lettuce & tomato are fresh, & the fried overeasy egg gilds the lily. (You can also order aged cheddar, avocado, grilled onions or mushrooms on your burger.) The tasty fries are baked, then fried, & seasoned with something other than just salt, with smoky garlic ketchup and ranch dressing for dipping. The whole thing costs $17, so for salad-eater me, this is a decadent treat which doesn't break the bank. Oh, & the service is friendly and quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The specialty old fashionedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/5/2013The specialty old fashioned was superb. The duck wings app was out of this world. The beet & burrata salad was excellent.Special Features:
- It is very good, but veryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/4/2013It is very good, but very loud (and dark). My I suggest being seated outside.Special Features:
- Love the Blue Cow. It wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/4/2013Love the Blue Cow. It was a nice surprise to find a gem like this downtown with good food and service. I will be back!
- Blue Cow Kitchen is a funanneDined on 4/3/2013Blue Cow Kitchen is a fun place in downtown LA. Nice for an after work drink and eats.Special Features:
- Vegans and Carnivores RejoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/30/2013There is something wonderful for everyone. Not too many places can give you a great steak sandwich as well as great vegan offerings but Blue Cow does it. And to top it off they make perfect cocktails at less than average prices for downtown. It took us way too long to try them out but since we live in the neighborhood I know we'll be back often. A great spot!Special Features:
- Contemporary, ecelctic setting,KatKDined on 3/25/2013Contemporary, ecelctic setting, nice outdoor seating. Food is good and fresh, nice variety, healthy size portions. Had a nice time.Special Features:
- The food was absolutely delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/16/2013The food was absolutely delicious. Duck wings are a must, the twice fried french fries were a bit too crispy for me, but the dipping sauces were amazing. The steak dish was phenomenal. I recommend the Old Fashioned. Service felt rushed to the point where my dining partner and I didn't have time to order another drink, however, the food was outstanding. I would go back and specify longer wait times on food delivery.Special Features:
- Broccoli side dish was awesome,BaltoLadDined on 3/2/2013Broccoli side dish was awesome, chicken very good, fish of the day was dry without a lot of flavor. We ate at the bar and the service was horrible. To her credit, she seemed to be managing all drinks and customers at two bars by herself. She was friendly, just too busy to take care of us.
- I appreciate their two-pageBooked2DineVIPDined on 2/23/2013I appreciate their two-page menu as I don't like to read a book while trying to decide what to eat. We took the waiter's recommendation and had the Blue Cow version of a French Dip. Delicious! Highly recommend the kale salad and the braised Brussels sprouts. Very limited but adequate wine list.Special Features:
- Fantastic seasonal food. Pleasesdr1066Dined on 2/9/2013Fantastic seasonal food. Please keep the short rib putine.Special Features:
- Blue Cow Kitchen & Bar isOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/7/2013Blue Cow Kitchen & Bar is a nice addition to 2 Cal Plaza: healthy food, nice prices, good quality. My one surprise as a vegetarian is they don't have more/better options for us, given their attention to healthful choices. No vegetarian protein alternatives are available (i.e. veggie burger, tofu, tempeh), which is a miss. Hopefully they will add a few in the future.Special Features: