Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar
1 Lawson Ln
Burlington, VT 05401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluecatvt.com/
- Phone: 8023633639
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 4:30 - 8:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm,
Friday and Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Please consider us for your next private function. Our intimate space seats up to 40, and you can bring in your own caterer or let us entertain you with our exciting, tailored menus. And for a special treat, try one of our private wine tastings for 10 - 30 people!
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Blue Cat Cafe & Wine Bar is the only downtown restaurant with on site, free parking. Our customers can park in the lot on Saint Paul/College Street. However, take heed; the lot is monitored by a towing company, and our customers must use a permit. Simply send a member of your party into the restaurant, and we will give you a temporary permit which will allow you to park for the evening.
A word from Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar
Welcome to Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar. We are located in the center of downtown Burlington in a little alley called Lawson Lane. In our cozy corner of the town we serve all Certified Angus Beef (CAB) steaks and a variety of fresh seafood and vegetarian options. We use local produce whenever possible and feature a rotating selection of Vermont cheeses. Our wine list contains three-hundred labels from all over the world with an emphasis on big, bold, steak-friendly wines. The proprietors, Mariasha and Ozzy Giral are always on site to help you find the perfect wine for any occasion. We hope to see you soon. ...and please keep in mind that we are available for private events of all sorts 7 days a week; we'll do the catering or bring in your favorite caterer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Burlington, VT ›
Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
romantic (44)special occasion (38)notable wine list (27)fit for foodies (24)neighborhood gem (18)late-night find (5)hot spot (1)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great SteakBrunchnationDined on 10/25/2014Great Service. Place is a little small but food made up for it. Very good service very attentive to detail.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014The Food was amazing and service was excellent. Was a delay getting our entree's due to a back-up in the kitchen, but the waitress was exceptionally kind and gave us a glass of wine on the house for the trouble. Great change from the busy/noisy restaurants on church street. Food is on the expensive side, but anyone that has a taste for great food will love whatever you order.Special Features:
- Not just expensive steaksnolinsDined on 10/16/2014While the price for a great steak might frighten off some people, there great dining opportunities for people on a budget. The earlybird specials offer you a chance to have a great multi-course meal with wine at a not unreasonable price. For those seeking more of a bargain, the Thursday hamburger special is an exceptional deal for a high end burger lover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Everything was great. Our only comment would be that the place seemed like it was meant for an older crowd. Not sure if it was the decor or just the crowd that night but my partner and I felt out of place being the only twenty somethings there. Again, could've just been a coincidence that night... Otherwise it was great. Food was delicious and very flavorful. They actually cooked my steak the way I asked ("very rare" - I typically receive med-rare or medium). The wine list was impressive and different from what I'd seen at other places like Oak 45 and Sotto Enoteca. Will recommend to friends!Special Features:
- Good food, good wine, good service.AndreaDined on 10/13/2014It was a special occasion. We enjoyed the intimacy, a good wine, a very tasty dinner, attentive and charming waitress. We chose an end table for privacy and quiet. Lamb and beef are their specialties and sweet potatoes! We have always enjoyed the Blue Cat.Special Features:
- averagecatteDined on 10/10/2014I have been several over the years and it never meets my expectations. The service is a bit rude and the food given the cost is average.
- Excellent steak!NOYBDined on 10/9/2014Excellent steak. Great place for a job interview or similar event.Special Features:
- Romantic with Great FoodEMacDined on 10/6/2014The place has amazing food in the right portion size, although expensive, but you get what you pay for, and then you can have room for dessert, which is also delicious. The place is romantic, but keep in mind that means cozy and dark. It's in a nook inside a building but made to look as if it could be right on the street. Very little space to move around in, so don't go if you're claustrophobic and can't read menus in poor lighting. The tables themselves are tiny as well, so don't expect much table room. They serve amazing homemade hummus with olive oil and pita bread while you're waiting for your meal. Go to have an intimate romantic dinner, and leave the kids at home. Also, try the Citizen Cider. It comes in the 22 oz bottle for only $5.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HisKidDined on 10/3/2014We had a good time and an enjoyable dinner. Portions were just right. There was only one other party in the restaurant and we were right beside them, so it was a little difficult to hear each other in such a small space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Burlington restaurantnorthviewDined on 9/29/2014We've been going to the Blue Cat for years. Its cozy wood-panelled small restaurant feel and out-of-the-way location suggest a quiet sophistication that is rare today. While they emphasize their steak selection, there is something for everyone's taste and we always enjoy their exceptionally well-prepared dishes. The wait staff are personable and competent and you should save room for their chocolate dessert with mint ice cream.Special Features:
- Hidden TreasureyumyumeatemupDined on 9/26/2014You'd almost never know this amazing restaurant is there. It was our first dining At Blue Cat and we'll definitely go back again. They were more than accommodating for our party (my husband, 10 month old child, and me) however we did feel a little out of place since we brought the kiddo along. We had an early reservation (6pm on a Friday) so there were plenty of open tables, but the one negative was that the place was almost too quiet. Our daughter is pretty quiet and content, she doesn't throw food or scream, but any noise she made seemed 10-times worse. We didn't want to disturb the other diners, so we were lucky enough to take her out in the hallway for a break to walk around. The braised lamb was delicious!!!Special Features:
- Blue Cat was greatkgb1217Dined on 8/30/2014Our experience @ the Blue Cat was very enjoyable. We chose to sit @ the bar & were served by a very pleasant young lady who took good care of us throughout the evening. Dinner was excellent & the wine was as well. Hope to be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go back!NYFoodieDined on 8/29/2014This is my kind of Restaurant! Small, cozy with good food. No Yahoos hanging out at the bar. Just a few people having a drink and quiet conversation while waiting for their table. Service was very good. The food was very good as well, but not over the top. I had the flank steak and it was cooked to a perfect medium rare and everything on the plate was gone when I finished! It was the whole package of elegant, classy, atmosphere, service and good food that sold me. For me the wine list could have been a little better, but I am a little fussy about my wine. Next time that I am in Burlington this will be on my gotta go to list. I really liked it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner out in 5+ years!!!!mattyp77Dined on 8/21/2014Cannot say enough about this place!! Simply blown away!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for fine diningDavidbroadDined on 8/20/2014Tucked away from the bustle, Blue Cat offers a haven if you want to have a dinner conversation, good food and great ambiance....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014Great food! Folks at next table had a small child who was quite animated and talked loudly. Unfortunately parents were oblivious to the impact on others trying to have a romantic meal. Waitress did not know how to do a split transaction with a Gift Visa card (that had a $50 credit) and my personal Visa card to pay our bill of $82. She evidently brought up the entire bill ($82) and tried to swipe my Visa Gift card; so it was declined. She should have created a charge of $50 (via doing a split charge) then swiped my Visa Gift card; then put the rest on my personal Visa card.Special Features:
- Nice spotVTFoodieDined on 8/13/2014Went for date with my wife sans kids. What a nice spot for that. The server was excellent and the food hit the spot.Special Features:
- Great restaurant.L4kidsDined on 8/12/2014I love the ambience here. Very Intimate. We chose to go in a Tuesday night and for some reason there was only one hostess, waitress, and bartender all rolled into one person! The poor girl was doing it all and for that reason I give the service here only 2 stars as we had a very long wait just to get our drinks and appetizers. The place was fairly busy too so not sure why she was the only one working. She was very nice but she was overwhelmed. People at the bar seemed to get too priority for their orders. Not sure if we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IntimateOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2014The Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar is a small, quiet, intimate restaurant. Their specialty is steak and it is wonderful. I especially like the Steak Foie Gras. My husband had the lamb and said it was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ANother excellent mealvalentinoDined on 8/12/2014My girlfriend and I ate at Blue Cat again and, as usual, it was a wonderful experience. SHe had braised lamb and I had duck confit. Both were delicious and filling, accompanied with mashed potatoes and asparagus. We started with the first-rate curried mussels. Many wines are available by the glass - and you can taste them first to decide. My girlfriend had pnot grigio with the mussels and I had a WIlliam HIll chardonnay, both good choices. Then I had a 2004 Spanish tempranillo with the duck, which was quite delicious, well-aged. Another memorable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemKirbyDined on 8/1/2014We needed a late night dinner; The Blue Cat was perfect. Small, cozy, with excellent service. The wine selection was outstanding, and I highly recommend the cheese plate. The filet mignon melted in my mouth. The only reason I did not give five stars was because I had to send back my sweet potato, way too salty. They very graciously brought me a new one cooked to perfection. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014The best steak I have had in thirty years. Make sure you make a reservation. I am glad we did as they were full on a Tuesday night.Special Features:
- 3rd visitdhdvtDined on 7/28/2014Another rewarding visit. Food was fresh and different.Special Features:
- SkymanDined on 7/23/2014We enjoyed this little gem in Burlington. Love the free parking on site.Special Features:
- Not impressedFoodiebyheartDined on 7/23/2014The kebob was supposed to be meatball type patty with spices. What I received were cubes of beef and vegetables which were not grilled and just barely warmed through. Presentation of it was lacking. My husband steak in his Caesar salad was tough and a very meager portion for $21 dollars. I thought the hummus with pita bread was a nice touch in lieu of bread. Overall I think the food was mediocre and overpriced.Special Features:
- Great night outBTVNiteoutDined on 7/16/2014I Brought my wife out to Blue Cat for date night. The food and wine menu had some great choices and left me wanting to try a few of the dishes. The portion sizes were perfect and everything was cooked to perfection. The service was great, our waitress had great instinct for when we needed her. We will absolutely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it's alrightNicknameDined on 7/14/2014The food was pretty good. The service was alright. Only about eight tables inside. Nothing blew me away, but nothing was lacking either.Special Features:
- Second visit - still top of my listwfc999Dined on 7/11/2014Second time visiting and was not disappointed - food was very good and presentation was excellent - extensive wine list -service was very good. There was a large party present (bachelor dinner) so was a bit more noisy than last time - but still well worth it.Special Features:
- Very impressedvivavermontDined on 7/5/2014The food and the service were excellent. It's an intimate, affordable spot with a great wine list. The foie gras is amazing.Special Features:
- Disappointing mealsimplepleasuresVIPDined on 7/4/2014We went to this restaurant because it was highly rated. We all ordered steaks, which came out together. One of us ordered a hangar steak medium. However, it was brought to the table well done and all the items on the plate were room temperature at best. The steak was returned to the kitchen. But it was obviously not a priority as it took 20 minutes to arrive. Of course, the three other diners had already finished their meal. There was no visit from the manager, only a "sorry about the wait" from the waitress and, of course no adjustment on the bill. While I know that mistakes can happen any time, I do not believe this restaurant is on top of their game and they have serious issues that they need to address.
- Wonderful all around!Sween6Dined on 7/3/2014Small, but very inviting. Waitress was the best - very attentive and accomodating. Food was delicious. Excellent wine. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 233 reviews are from the Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar reviews archive.
- ExcellentFood2Dined on 6/23/2014Excellent service, the food was outstanding, and it was a nice quiet setting.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantJimoDined on 6/21/2014The best restaurant in Burlington Vermont. I highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak and Wine Great, Space SmallEvergreenFoodieDined on 6/20/2014Blue Cat Steak and Wine Bar offered great steak entrees and a fine wine list. The restaurant is tucked away down a short alley off College Street. The only shortcoming of the restaurant is that it literally is nearly all bar: the building space for the restaurant is small and the bar takes most of it.Special Features:
- Gem In The Heart of BurlingtonMeredithDined on 6/17/2014The Blue Cat restaurant is such a special place to dine in the heart of Burlington. Situated in a short alley's walk from the City Hall Park it is quiet and very intimate. Just the place to relax and talk and share great food with a friend, spouse, or partner. The menu had a wide variety of offerings. I enjoyed the salmon dinner (salmon from the Farrow Islands off Scotland) with fresh asparagus and mashed sweet potatoes. And the service was very friendly and accommodating. I've already recommended the Blue Cat to friends who are looking for someplace to dine that is unique and excellent.Special Features:
- Delicious romantic dinnerDinerUnoDined on 6/13/2014My husband and I came here for dinner after eloping in Burlington earlier in the day. The meal was fantastic! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hav2eatDined on 6/13/2014They've never disappointed me and I tell everyone. Service is always attentive and the food presentation is thoughtfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overwhelmed waitressKrisDined on 6/12/2014The meal was good enough, we had the filet mignon and the tornado. The filet was done correctly but the tornado was only three little pieces of filet, hardly enough for a petite woman to eat. The service was another thing. This was no fault of the waitress it's because she had 10, I said 10 tables on Saturday June 14th 2014 all by herself! The bartender Oz was of no help to her as he watched her do it all. At one point during our meal I looked for her and there she was now pouring her own drinks for her tables too! Who would work under those conditions? Not returning until the service improves. It's not a cheap place to have to wait like you do, sad, good food just bad service. Wake up Oz before it's all gone.
- just wonderfulKingdomdinersDined on 6/6/2014We were delighted dining at Blue Cat cafe. The food was superb, the cocktails perfect, and the wine list, just left us wanting to come back again.Special Features:
- constable1Constable1Dined on 6/6/2014After an initial misunderstanding over the parking permit (they had neglected to print them) we parked at a meter a block away. Our server was great, she knew we had an issue with another employee, empathized, and kept the evening on an even keel. She was super, the food was good, the wine list above average. We had a special which is available to customers who dine before 5:00 p.m. All in all a good experience and we will return. We have two parking permits in hand.Special Features: