Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar
1 Lawson Ln
Burlington, VT 05401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluecatvt.com/
- Phone: (802) 363-3639
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 4:30 - 8:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm,
Friday and Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Please consider us for your next private function. Our intimate space seats up to 40, and you can bring in your own caterer or let us entertain you with our exciting, tailored menus. And for a special treat, try one of our private wine tastings for 10 - 30 people!
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Blue Cat Cafe & Wine Bar is the only downtown restaurant with on site, free parking. Our customers can park in the lot on Saint Paul/College Street. However, take heed; the lot is monitored by a towing company, and our customers must use a permit. Simply send a member of your party into the restaurant, and we will give you a temporary permit which will allow you to park for the evening.
A word from Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar
Welcome to Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar. We are located in the center of downtown Burlington in a little alley called Lawson Lane. In our cozy corner of the town we serve all Certified Angus Beef (CAB) steaks and a variety of fresh seafood and vegetarian options. We use local produce whenever possible and feature a rotating selection of Vermont cheeses. Our wine list contains three-hundred labels from all over the world with an emphasis on big, bold, steak-friendly wines. The proprietors, Mariasha and Ozzy Giral are always on site to help you find the perfect wine for any occasion. We hope to see you soon. ...and please keep in mind that we are available for private events of all sorts 7 days a week; we'll do the catering or bring in your favorite caterer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Burlington, VT ›
Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
romantic (52)special occasion (49)notable wine list (38)fit for foodies (31)neighborhood gem (20)late-night find (5)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014The food was excellent. The space was a bit tight but was comfortable once sitting down at the table. Friendly service. Definitely pricey but overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect place for friend's birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014Love how the small space makes you feel special and cozy, esp. on a cold night. The beef tornadoes melted in our mouths, the salads were crisp and fresh and the flour-less chocolate cake was the perfect, to-die-for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in TownWoodyDined on 11/12/2014Our three couple dining group went to the Blue Cat recently because none of us had ever been there. What a treat. The service was attentive but not hurried, the space small without giving the feeling of being crowded, the staff welcoming, knowledgable and professional. Starting with the complimentary hummus and excellent grilled flatbread, on to the great selection of cheeses and white anchovies and peppers as appetizers, then on to the steaks for some of us, the Rib Roast of Lamb and the 9 hour Lamb Shanks for others. All the entrees were prepared exactly as ordered and were done perfectly. Excellent wine selections. Great dessert choices, especially the Raspberry Pie. A visit from chef/co-owner Mariashe topped off a perfect evening. The best dining experience I've had in Burlington since the long ago days of the Park Cafe and the High Hat restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodRPCPDined on 11/10/2014Steak melts in your mouth, romantic ambiance, staff delightful and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Cat is all ThatTrustMeDined on 11/9/2014From the moment you arrive at Blue Cat you know it is a one of kind experience in downtown Burlington. Small with a romantic atmosphere which is hard to find around town. Tables are already prepared cause it's hard to get in without a reservation. But worth going to more then once with specials of both food and drink variety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine ExperiencenightoutDined on 11/7/2014Nearly everything about our meal was very good. Our waitress was informed, charming and competent. Pre-meal drink was very good, salads excellent, main courses (including local beef) delicious. The wine list and our choice were fine. Blue Cat is cozy and romantic, very quiet and comfortable. Not cheap, but worth paying for.Special Features:
- a true find in burlingtoncohnprDined on 11/4/2014from the moment you walk into the restaurant you know you've found a special place. the friendly greeting by the staff adds to the warm, romantic atmosphere. there is an excellent well-priced wine list (we chose a malbec). because we arrived before 5:30, we were able to take advantage of dinner specials (salad, duck and lamb, and an incredible flourless chocolate cake). Even the coffee was delicious. This is the restaurant to go to even if you do not have a special occassion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delightedKingdomdinersDined on 10/31/2014Highly recommend the Blue Cat Cafe. Wonderful wine list, great steak, loved the shrimp appetizer. And I loved that it was quiet and we could talk to each other easily. What a great date spot, my wife thinks so as well.Special Features:
- Always amazingKplusJDined on 10/31/2014I have been to this restaurant a number of times over the past 6+ years and it always delivers. Very quiet and intimate experience with friendly and knowledgeable staff. Their steaks have ruined me from ever ordering a steak anywhere else. I have only found one restaurant that compares with the quality of their steaks. Excellent wine list too and easy parking. Just park in the "permit only" lot outside of the restaurant and they will give you a permit for your car.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burger HeavenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014Turns out Thursdays are $10 burger days. 8oz of ground sirloin cooked to perfection. With salad, chips or potato. Excellent.Special Features:
- Great SteakBrunchnationDined on 10/25/2014Great Service. Place is a little small but food made up for it. Very good service very attentive to detail.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014The Food was amazing and service was excellent. Was a delay getting our entree's due to a back-up in the kitchen, but the waitress was exceptionally kind and gave us a glass of wine on the house for the trouble. Great change from the busy/noisy restaurants on church street. Food is on the expensive side, but anyone that has a taste for great food will love whatever you order.Special Features:
- Not just expensive steaksnolinsDined on 10/16/2014While the price for a great steak might frighten off some people, there great dining opportunities for people on a budget. The earlybird specials offer you a chance to have a great multi-course meal with wine at a not unreasonable price. For those seeking more of a bargain, the Thursday hamburger special is an exceptional deal for a high end burger lover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Everything was great. Our only comment would be that the place seemed like it was meant for an older crowd. Not sure if it was the decor or just the crowd that night but my partner and I felt out of place being the only twenty somethings there. Again, could've just been a coincidence that night... Otherwise it was great. Food was delicious and very flavorful. They actually cooked my steak the way I asked ("very rare" - I typically receive med-rare or medium). The wine list was impressive and different from what I'd seen at other places like Oak 45 and Sotto Enoteca. Will recommend to friends!Special Features:
- Good food, good wine, good service.AndreaDined on 10/13/2014It was a special occasion. We enjoyed the intimacy, a good wine, a very tasty dinner, attentive and charming waitress. We chose an end table for privacy and quiet. Lamb and beef are their specialties and sweet potatoes! We have always enjoyed the Blue Cat.Special Features:
- averagecatteVIPDined on 10/10/2014I have been several over the years and it never meets my expectations. The service is a bit rude and the food given the cost is average.
- Excellent steak!NOYBDined on 10/9/2014Excellent steak. Great place for a job interview or similar event.Special Features:
- Romantic with Great FoodEMacDined on 10/6/2014The place has amazing food in the right portion size, although expensive, but you get what you pay for, and then you can have room for dessert, which is also delicious. The place is romantic, but keep in mind that means cozy and dark. It's in a nook inside a building but made to look as if it could be right on the street. Very little space to move around in, so don't go if you're claustrophobic and can't read menus in poor lighting. The tables themselves are tiny as well, so don't expect much table room. They serve amazing homemade hummus with olive oil and pita bread while you're waiting for your meal. Go to have an intimate romantic dinner, and leave the kids at home. Also, try the Citizen Cider. It comes in the 22 oz bottle for only $5.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HisKidDined on 10/3/2014We had a good time and an enjoyable dinner. Portions were just right. There was only one other party in the restaurant and we were right beside them, so it was a little difficult to hear each other in such a small space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Burlington restaurantnorthviewDined on 9/29/2014We've been going to the Blue Cat for years. Its cozy wood-panelled small restaurant feel and out-of-the-way location suggest a quiet sophistication that is rare today. While they emphasize their steak selection, there is something for everyone's taste and we always enjoy their exceptionally well-prepared dishes. The wait staff are personable and competent and you should save room for their chocolate dessert with mint ice cream.Special Features:
- Hidden TreasureyumyumeatemupDined on 9/26/2014You'd almost never know this amazing restaurant is there. It was our first dining At Blue Cat and we'll definitely go back again. They were more than accommodating for our party (my husband, 10 month old child, and me) however we did feel a little out of place since we brought the kiddo along. We had an early reservation (6pm on a Friday) so there were plenty of open tables, but the one negative was that the place was almost too quiet. Our daughter is pretty quiet and content, she doesn't throw food or scream, but any noise she made seemed 10-times worse. We didn't want to disturb the other diners, so we were lucky enough to take her out in the hallway for a break to walk around. The braised lamb was delicious!!!Special Features:
- Blue Cat was greatkgb1217Dined on 8/30/2014Our experience @ the Blue Cat was very enjoyable. We chose to sit @ the bar & were served by a very pleasant young lady who took good care of us throughout the evening. Dinner was excellent & the wine was as well. Hope to be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go back!NYFoodieDined on 8/29/2014This is my kind of Restaurant! Small, cozy with good food. No Yahoos hanging out at the bar. Just a few people having a drink and quiet conversation while waiting for their table. Service was very good. The food was very good as well, but not over the top. I had the flank steak and it was cooked to a perfect medium rare and everything on the plate was gone when I finished! It was the whole package of elegant, classy, atmosphere, service and good food that sold me. For me the wine list could have been a little better, but I am a little fussy about my wine. Next time that I am in Burlington this will be on my gotta go to list. I really liked it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner out in 5+ years!!!!mattyp77Dined on 8/21/2014Cannot say enough about this place!! Simply blown away!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for fine diningDavidbroadDined on 8/20/2014Tucked away from the bustle, Blue Cat offers a haven if you want to have a dinner conversation, good food and great ambiance....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simplicity of home cookingRitagonzVIPDined on 8/17/2014And lovely service, its a french-american bistro with lovely service. Food was well prepared and comforting, a tad pricey. Loved the cheese plate but found the wine selection a bit underwhelming. Quiet when we were there, we had a chance so speak with the Chef du jour, who clearly was proud of his mashed potatoes and the craft in the specials for the day. Place is dark but cozy.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014Great food! Folks at next table had a small child who was quite animated and talked loudly. Unfortunately parents were oblivious to the impact on others trying to have a romantic meal. Waitress did not know how to do a split transaction with a Gift Visa card (that had a $50 credit) and my personal Visa card to pay our bill of $82. She evidently brought up the entire bill ($82) and tried to swipe my Visa Gift card; so it was declined. She should have created a charge of $50 (via doing a split charge) then swiped my Visa Gift card; then put the rest on my personal Visa card.Special Features:
- Nice spotVTFoodieDined on 8/13/2014Went for date with my wife sans kids. What a nice spot for that. The server was excellent and the food hit the spot.Special Features:
- Great restaurant.L4kidsDined on 8/12/2014I love the ambience here. Very Intimate. We chose to go in a Tuesday night and for some reason there was only one hostess, waitress, and bartender all rolled into one person! The poor girl was doing it all and for that reason I give the service here only 2 stars as we had a very long wait just to get our drinks and appetizers. The place was fairly busy too so not sure why she was the only one working. She was very nice but she was overwhelmed. People at the bar seemed to get too priority for their orders. Not sure if we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IntimateOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2014The Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar is a small, quiet, intimate restaurant. Their specialty is steak and it is wonderful. I especially like the Steak Foie Gras. My husband had the lamb and said it was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ANother excellent mealvalentinoDined on 8/12/2014My girlfriend and I ate at Blue Cat again and, as usual, it was a wonderful experience. SHe had braised lamb and I had duck confit. Both were delicious and filling, accompanied with mashed potatoes and asparagus. We started with the first-rate curried mussels. Many wines are available by the glass - and you can taste them first to decide. My girlfriend had pnot grigio with the mussels and I had a WIlliam HIll chardonnay, both good choices. Then I had a 2004 Spanish tempranillo with the duck, which was quite delicious, well-aged. Another memorable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemKirbyDined on 8/1/2014We needed a late night dinner; The Blue Cat was perfect. Small, cozy, with excellent service. The wine selection was outstanding, and I highly recommend the cheese plate. The filet mignon melted in my mouth. The only reason I did not give five stars was because I had to send back my sweet potato, way too salty. They very graciously brought me a new one cooked to perfection. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 243 reviews are from the Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar reviews archive.
- Highly recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014The best steak I have had in thirty years. Make sure you make a reservation. I am glad we did as they were full on a Tuesday night.Special Features:
- 3rd visitdhdvtDined on 7/28/2014Another rewarding visit. Food was fresh and different.Special Features:
- SkymanDined on 7/23/2014We enjoyed this little gem in Burlington. Love the free parking on site.Special Features:
- Not impressedFoodiebyheartDined on 7/23/2014The kebob was supposed to be meatball type patty with spices. What I received were cubes of beef and vegetables which were not grilled and just barely warmed through. Presentation of it was lacking. My husband steak in his Caesar salad was tough and a very meager portion for $21 dollars. I thought the hummus with pita bread was a nice touch in lieu of bread. Overall I think the food was mediocre and overpriced.Special Features:
- Great night outBTVNiteoutDined on 7/16/2014I Brought my wife out to Blue Cat for date night. The food and wine menu had some great choices and left me wanting to try a few of the dishes. The portion sizes were perfect and everything was cooked to perfection. The service was great, our waitress had great instinct for when we needed her. We will absolutely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it's alrightNicknameDined on 7/14/2014The food was pretty good. The service was alright. Only about eight tables inside. Nothing blew me away, but nothing was lacking either.Special Features:
- Second visit - still top of my listwfc999Dined on 7/11/2014Second time visiting and was not disappointed - food was very good and presentation was excellent - extensive wine list -service was very good. There was a large party present (bachelor dinner) so was a bit more noisy than last time - but still well worth it.Special Features:
- Very impressedvivavermontDined on 7/5/2014The food and the service were excellent. It's an intimate, affordable spot with a great wine list. The foie gras is amazing.Special Features: