Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar
1 Lawson Ln
Burlington, VT 05401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluecatvt.com/
- Phone: 8023633639
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 4:30 - 8:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm,
Friday and Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Please consider us for your next private function. Our intimate space seats up to 40, and you can bring in your own caterer or let us entertain you with our exciting, tailored menus. And for a special treat, try one of our private wine tastings for 10 - 30 people!
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Blue Cat Cafe & Wine Bar is the only downtown restaurant with on site, free parking. Our customers can park in the lot on Saint Paul/College Street. However, take heed; the lot is monitored by a towing company, and our customers must use a permit. Simply send a member of your party into the restaurant, and we will give you a temporary permit which will allow you to park for the evening.
A word from Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar
Welcome to Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar. We are located in the center of downtown Burlington in a little alley called Lawson Lane. In our cozy corner of the town we serve all Certified Angus Beef (CAB) steaks and a variety of fresh seafood and vegetarian options. We use local produce whenever possible and feature a rotating selection of Vermont cheeses. Our wine list contains three-hundred labels from all over the world with an emphasis on big, bold, steak-friendly wines. The proprietors, Mariasha and Ozzy Giral are always on site to help you find the perfect wine for any occasion. We hope to see you soon. ...and please keep in mind that we are available for private events of all sorts 7 days a week; we'll do the catering or bring in your favorite caterer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Burlington, VT ›
Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
romantic (49)special occasion (38)notable wine list (36)fit for foodies (23)neighborhood gem (22)late-night find (5)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Blue Cat was greatkgb1217Dined on 8/30/2014Our experience @ the Blue Cat was very enjoyable. We chose to sit @ the bar & were served by a very pleasant young lady who took good care of us throughout the evening. Dinner was excellent & the wine was as well. Hope to be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go back!NYFoodieDined on 8/29/2014This is my kind of Restaurant! Small, cozy with good food. No Yahoos hanging out at the bar. Just a few people having a drink and quiet conversation while waiting for their table. Service was very good. The food was very good as well, but not over the top. I had the flank steak and it was cooked to a perfect medium rare and everything on the plate was gone when I finished! It was the whole package of elegant, classy, atmosphere, service and good food that sold me. For me the wine list could have been a little better, but I am a little fussy about my wine. Next time that I am in Burlington this will be on my gotta go to list. I really liked it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner out in 5+ years!!!!mattyp77Dined on 8/21/2014Cannot say enough about this place!! Simply blown away!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for fine diningDavidbroadDined on 8/20/2014Tucked away from the bustle, Blue Cat offers a haven if you want to have a dinner conversation, good food and great ambiance....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014Great food! Folks at next table had a small child who was quite animated and talked loudly. Unfortunately parents were oblivious to the impact on others trying to have a romantic meal. Waitress did not know how to do a split transaction with a Gift Visa card (that had a $50 credit) and my personal Visa card to pay our bill of $82. She evidently brought up the entire bill ($82) and tried to swipe my Visa Gift card; so it was declined. She should have created a charge of $50 (via doing a split charge) then swiped my Visa Gift card; then put the rest on my personal Visa card.Special Features:
- Nice spotVTFoodieDined on 8/13/2014Went for date with my wife sans kids. What a nice spot for that. The server was excellent and the food hit the spot.Special Features:
- Great restaurant.L4kidsDined on 8/12/2014I love the ambience here. Very Intimate. We chose to go in a Tuesday night and for some reason there was only one hostess, waitress, and bartender all rolled into one person! The poor girl was doing it all and for that reason I give the service here only 2 stars as we had a very long wait just to get our drinks and appetizers. The place was fairly busy too so not sure why she was the only one working. She was very nice but she was overwhelmed. People at the bar seemed to get too priority for their orders. Not sure if we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IntimateOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2014The Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar is a small, quiet, intimate restaurant. Their specialty is steak and it is wonderful. I especially like the Steak Foie Gras. My husband had the lamb and said it was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ANother excellent mealvalentinoDined on 8/12/2014My girlfriend and I ate at Blue Cat again and, as usual, it was a wonderful experience. SHe had braised lamb and I had duck confit. Both were delicious and filling, accompanied with mashed potatoes and asparagus. We started with the first-rate curried mussels. Many wines are available by the glass - and you can taste them first to decide. My girlfriend had pnot grigio with the mussels and I had a WIlliam HIll chardonnay, both good choices. Then I had a 2004 Spanish tempranillo with the duck, which was quite delicious, well-aged. Another memorable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemKirbyDined on 8/1/2014We needed a late night dinner; The Blue Cat was perfect. Small, cozy, with excellent service. The wine selection was outstanding, and I highly recommend the cheese plate. The filet mignon melted in my mouth. The only reason I did not give five stars was because I had to send back my sweet potato, way too salty. They very graciously brought me a new one cooked to perfection. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014The best steak I have had in thirty years. Make sure you make a reservation. I am glad we did as they were full on a Tuesday night.Special Features:
- 3rd visitdhdvtDined on 7/28/2014Another rewarding visit. Food was fresh and different.Special Features:
- SkymanDined on 7/23/2014We enjoyed this little gem in Burlington. Love the free parking on site.Special Features:
- Not impressedFoodiebyheartDined on 7/23/2014The kebob was supposed to be meatball type patty with spices. What I received were cubes of beef and vegetables which were not grilled and just barely warmed through. Presentation of it was lacking. My husband steak in his Caesar salad was tough and a very meager portion for $21 dollars. I thought the hummus with pita bread was a nice touch in lieu of bread. Overall I think the food was mediocre and overpriced.Special Features:
- Great night outBTVNiteoutDined on 7/16/2014I Brought my wife out to Blue Cat for date night. The food and wine menu had some great choices and left me wanting to try a few of the dishes. The portion sizes were perfect and everything was cooked to perfection. The service was great, our waitress had great instinct for when we needed her. We will absolutely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it's alrightNicknameDined on 7/14/2014The food was pretty good. The service was alright. Only about eight tables inside. Nothing blew me away, but nothing was lacking either.Special Features:
- Second visit - still top of my listwfc999Dined on 7/11/2014Second time visiting and was not disappointed - food was very good and presentation was excellent - extensive wine list -service was very good. There was a large party present (bachelor dinner) so was a bit more noisy than last time - but still well worth it.Special Features:
- Very impressedvivavermontDined on 7/5/2014The food and the service were excellent. It's an intimate, affordable spot with a great wine list. The foie gras is amazing.Special Features:
- Disappointing mealsimplepleasuresVIPDined on 7/4/2014We went to this restaurant because it was highly rated. We all ordered steaks, which came out together. One of us ordered a hangar steak medium. However, it was brought to the table well done and all the items on the plate were room temperature at best. The steak was returned to the kitchen. But it was obviously not a priority as it took 20 minutes to arrive. Of course, the three other diners had already finished their meal. There was no visit from the manager, only a "sorry about the wait" from the waitress and, of course no adjustment on the bill. While I know that mistakes can happen any time, I do not believe this restaurant is on top of their game and they have serious issues that they need to address.
- Wonderful all around!Sween6Dined on 7/3/2014Small, but very inviting. Waitress was the best - very attentive and accomodating. Food was delicious. Excellent wine. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentFood2Dined on 6/23/2014Excellent service, the food was outstanding, and it was a nice quiet setting.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantJimoDined on 6/21/2014The best restaurant in Burlington Vermont. I highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak and Wine Great, Space SmallEvergreenFoodieDined on 6/20/2014Blue Cat Steak and Wine Bar offered great steak entrees and a fine wine list. The restaurant is tucked away down a short alley off College Street. The only shortcoming of the restaurant is that it literally is nearly all bar: the building space for the restaurant is small and the bar takes most of it.Special Features:
- Gem In The Heart of BurlingtonMeredithDined on 6/17/2014The Blue Cat restaurant is such a special place to dine in the heart of Burlington. Situated in a short alley's walk from the City Hall Park it is quiet and very intimate. Just the place to relax and talk and share great food with a friend, spouse, or partner. The menu had a wide variety of offerings. I enjoyed the salmon dinner (salmon from the Farrow Islands off Scotland) with fresh asparagus and mashed sweet potatoes. And the service was very friendly and accommodating. I've already recommended the Blue Cat to friends who are looking for someplace to dine that is unique and excellent.Special Features:
- Delicious romantic dinnerDinerUnoDined on 6/13/2014My husband and I came here for dinner after eloping in Burlington earlier in the day. The meal was fantastic! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hav2eatDined on 6/13/2014They've never disappointed me and I tell everyone. Service is always attentive and the food presentation is thoughtfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overwhelmed waitressKrisDined on 6/12/2014The meal was good enough, we had the filet mignon and the tornado. The filet was done correctly but the tornado was only three little pieces of filet, hardly enough for a petite woman to eat. The service was another thing. This was no fault of the waitress it's because she had 10, I said 10 tables on Saturday June 14th 2014 all by herself! The bartender Oz was of no help to her as he watched her do it all. At one point during our meal I looked for her and there she was now pouring her own drinks for her tables too! Who would work under those conditions? Not returning until the service improves. It's not a cheap place to have to wait like you do, sad, good food just bad service. Wake up Oz before it's all gone.
- just wonderfulKingdomdinersDined on 6/6/2014We were delighted dining at Blue Cat cafe. The food was superb, the cocktails perfect, and the wine list, just left us wanting to come back again.Special Features:
- constable1Constable1Dined on 6/6/2014After an initial misunderstanding over the parking permit (they had neglected to print them) we parked at a meter a block away. Our server was great, she knew we had an issue with another employee, empathized, and kept the evening on an even keel. She was super, the food was good, the wine list above average. We had a special which is available to customers who dine before 5:00 p.m. All in all a good experience and we will return. We have two parking permits in hand.Special Features:
- Great FindDishesandDrinksVIPDined on 6/5/2014Looked for something last minute on Open Table. This was the perfect quiet spot on a busy Jazz Festival weekend in Burlington, VT. Small, intimate, excellent food. Fresh grilled pita and homemade humus- delicious. Foie gras was so good, but 1 and 1/2 oz. is not enough. :( Beef tornados and flat iron steak were both excellent. No room for dessert, but we had a great dining experience at about 1/2 California prices.Special Features:
- zendinerDined on 6/5/2014loved the intimate ambience....so few places with tablecloths and I like that. Will return for the mussels broth.Special Features:
- GreatnessRL99Dined on 6/4/2014The Bloody Mary Shrimp Cocktails were FABULOUS!!!! Service was excellent, a nice quiet time, perfect for a 48th. The Tornados were also excellent. The parking was a big plus.Special Features:
- Very ImpressedMontrealFoodieDined on 5/31/2014Being from Montreal and self-pronounced foodies, we decided to try a restaurant we'd never been to in Burlington. The Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar did not disappoint. We skipped appetizers and my sister had the filet mignon with dirty roasted garlic potatoes and I had the steak fois gras with dirty roasted garlic potatoes. We also ordered a California Cabernet Sauvignon and their wine list was impressive with several affordable bottles. We had a great time and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- So soOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/27/2014Appitizers very good. Steak disappointing. Very right and in weird building.Special Features:
- Nice little placeNjeatsDined on 5/25/2014There are only a handful of tables and the atmosphere is subdued. The food was very good and the portion sizes were generous. My only gripe is that if I'm paying $30+ for a steak I don't want to be nickle-and-dimed for dressing it...ie: $3 for caramelized onions. Extensive wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 218 reviews are from the Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar reviews archive.
- Great Steak!Yum3Dined on 5/23/2014This was our first visit to the Blue Cat. We were looking for a great steak, and we found it!!! The filet mignon was excellent! The service was second to none, and the intimate setting was a nice surprise. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy & FriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/20/2014As soon as I walked in I was happy with my choice of restaurants from the Open Table listing. The lighting accentuated the warm look of of the wood and decor of the bar and the small tables. The waitstaff was friendly and helpful and even offered to plug in my dying phone behind the bar. The food was excellent and especially loved the curried mussels appetizer. Excellent atmosphere and ambiance. The small Tuesday crowd seemed to all know each other as their conversations occasionally crossed tables and new arrivals were greeted familiarly. I told the proprietor that if I lived in the area, I would be a frequent visitor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Cat is Red Hot Awesome2foodiesDined on 5/18/2014Everything at this restaurant was perfect. This was the first time we were here and not one of us in our party of 8 had 1 negative comment. The appetizers were different and tasty. The steaks were perfectly cooked which is hard to do with a big party like ours. My husband's duck was outstanding. The waitress was friendly and helpful, and best of all, we were not rushed. The fully stocked bar accommodated everyone's request. We will all definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummylovetoeatDined on 5/17/2014We had an amazing meal! Steak was fantastic ~ and the fresh veggies were delicious and cooked to perfection! Filet, mashed potatoes, and fresh steamed carrots! Delicious shrimp cocktail and my beet salad was fantastic! Absolutely delicious meal !!!Special Features:
- Disappointingluv2dineDined on 5/17/2014We were expecting a better meal. The atmosphere was nice, but we were unaware of the setting. We were expecting a slightly more casual dress, the website did not fully address this. Also, with the prices we were disappointed in the quality of food. Two of us got the duck, which was very well cooked, but drenched in sauce. The menu I think said a cherry sauce with smokey flavors, we did not taste anything smokey. The wine choices however, were very nice. Overall I would not return in the future.Special Features: