Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar
1 Lawson Ln
Burlington, VT 05401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluecatvt.com/
- Phone: (802) 363-3639
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 4:30 - 8:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm,
Friday and Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Please consider us for your next private function. Our intimate space seats up to 40, and you can bring in your own caterer or let us entertain you with our exciting, tailored menus. And for a special treat, try one of our private wine tastings for 10 - 30 people!
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Blue Cat Cafe & Wine Bar is the only downtown restaurant with on site, free parking. Our customers can park in the lot on Saint Paul/College Street. However, take heed; the lot is monitored by a towing company, and our customers must use a permit. Simply send a member of your party into the restaurant, and we will give you a temporary permit which will allow you to park for the evening.
A word from Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar
Welcome to Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar. We are located in the center of downtown Burlington in a little alley called Lawson Lane. In our cozy corner of the town we serve all Certified Angus Beef (CAB) steaks and a variety of fresh seafood and vegetarian options. We use local produce whenever possible and feature a rotating selection of Vermont cheeses. Our wine list contains three-hundred labels from all over the world with an emphasis on big, bold, steak-friendly wines. The proprietors, Mariasha and Ozzy Giral are always on site to help you find the perfect wine for any occasion. We hope to see you soon. ...and please keep in mind that we are available for private events of all sorts 7 days a week; we'll do the catering or bring in your favorite caterer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Burlington, VT ›
Blue Cat Steak & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
romantic (53)special occasion (50)notable wine list (38)fit for foodies (32)neighborhood gem (21)late-night find (5)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great find!AnotherAwesomeMealDined on 3/15/2014We had a terrrific dinner celebrating our anniversary. Great food, great service, and great ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Occasional evening outRogueDined on 2/28/2014Tables are a little to close together to the extent that your personal space seems infringed upon by neighboring diners. Food was very good and the service appropriately attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our secret treasureVtduckhunterDined on 2/26/2014My wife and I have been to Blue Cat maybe 10 times over 2 years. We love the wet aged steaks and the close, personal, atmosphere. On every trip except this most recent trip, we were waited on by Ria. We look forward to seeing her and love how she remembers not only our last trip but the conversations we had. Great place, great peopleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for BTVOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014Food was good, for the price...If you a traveling foodie, you won't think this is exceptional, but you will like the ambiance and the pricing. its small and cozy....good food, good price, great service. just keep a realistic expectation...for the record...this was my 1st experience here...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oasis in the basementrome2goDined on 2/21/2014This was our first visit. We found our entire visit to be extremely enjoyable. We were greeted promptly at the door by whom I presume to be the owner and shown to our table even though we were about 15 minutes early for our reservation. I had read online that there was parking very close in a corner lot and that it was free all I had to do was to ask for a parking permit and I could stay there until midnight. After going back out to the lot to place my permit we were shown the wine list and explained the nights specials. The steak was done to perfection and the lamb was also. The atmosphere was very friendly and romantic. The place is very small though so reservations are a must. We will definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemSunnyDined on 2/20/2014Lovely little hideaway with good food and quiet atmosphere. Nothing much to complain of here, particularly if you have a preference for beef and lamb. If you can, check out the menu before you go. Recommend the Blue Cheese Salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-show dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/20/2014We enjoyed our delicious dinner at Blue Cat. The braised lamb was excellent. Our waitress was aware of our show time and all of our food arrived with time to spare. As a final note the cheesecake was fabulous! Once again this is why we consider The Blue Cat one of our favorite restaurants in Burlington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect post-Valentine's Day SelectFromGeorgiaDined on 2/15/2014In order to avoid the major Valentine's Day dining riff-raff, we booked a table at this elegant establishment the day after Valentine's Day. The variety in wine selection was across multiple countries, and easily found a bottle to enjoy. The steak options are robust as well, from Filet to Hanger (which was actually very delicious!). Overall a pleasant experience, and in a convenient location near Church and Main, so a post-dinner night cap was easy to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I am quite upset by our experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I am quite upset by our experience here last night. We purchased a deal, $20 for $40 and were told that we couldn't use it when we paid because it was a holiday. No problem, if that was clearly outlined in the deal... but, the deal makes no mentions of restrictions on dates it could be used other than the expiration date. We chose to go here on Valentines Day because we enjoy the atmosphere and are willing to pay inflated prices for average food because we enjoy the space so much. But denying the deal really put a damper on our evening. If there are restrictions, be clear about them, that isn't too much to ask.
- Wonderful Hidden SpotSapper26Dined on 2/14/2014I took my girlfriend here for dinner and it was the best Valentine's Day experience I have ever had. This is not an easy place to find, and I don't know if I would have if I hadn't read the other reviews. They have off street parking which is a HUGE plus, just grab a parking pass from the hostess. A set of stairs take you into an alley across which we found the entrance to the building marked with a sandwich board sign. Dinner was not cheap, it was almost $100 just for food, but the experience was well worth it. The restaurant had only 12 tables for two and even so moving around was tight, but the filet mignon was incredible, the service was great and un-rushed and the ambiance was perfect for a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Wonderfulmagicdude3000Dined on 2/9/2014The Blue Cat is a staple for me, and never disappoints. Their steak is always cooked perfectly, their wines are very tasty, and their staff is friendly and helpful. The space is itself is small and romantic. A must go for any foodieSpecial Features:
- Pretty good but......OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/8/2014The duck was excellent but it was a very small portion, particularly for that kind of price. It came with nothing but a large helping of sweet potatoes, they were great but it would have been nice to have something else to balance out the meal. They shouldn't try to grill the pita bread, it just made it taste scorched. The raspberry pie had a tough crust and a jam filling, something I'd expect from a grocery story bakery, not a local bakery. The wine list was excellent and the service was very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clear choice for top resto in BTVwfc999Dined on 2/7/2014Easily moved onto my "Best restos in BTV" list - really great food (the lamb was superb), wine (good French selection), service (attentive but not hovering), ambiance (quiet and not overlighted) - and all this on a Friday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday early- birthday dinnerjajaDined on 1/25/2014The food was O.K., but I ordered the duck and it was a bit rare, no sauce? The mashed potatoes were watery and yucky. We sat directly in front of the door--awful...too much money for too little! My friend ordered the lamb ragout, which I tasted. It just tasted salty to me...Disappointed. Maybe we should have ordered steak? We only ordered one appetizer, and I'm glad because it was not very good to me, the ribs...Would not recommend this restaurant to anyone....
- Great steak and wine dinning!SteakWineGuyDined on 1/24/2014This is our go to restaurant. It is quaint, quiet, has professional waitstaff, and a delicious menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was fantastic butOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/23/2014The food was fantastic but the grill is immediately behind the bar in the center of this very intimate/ tiny restaurant and the fume hood wasn't working. We literally were driven out by the fumes-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good burgersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/22/2014Had a latish night burger here and it was excellent. Nice quiet atmosphere. And parking!Special Features:
- Romantic dining experience.L4kidsDined on 1/17/2014Relaxed dining. Great ambience with a romantic feel to it. A little on the cramped side. The wine was exquisite and our server was outstanding. Very pricey for what you pay for. Portions were average and we had to wait quite a long time for our food to arrive. I would recommend the Salmon dish. Outstanding! The restaurant was difficult to locate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Birthday DinnerRyanDined on 1/14/2014I took my boyfriend here the other night for his birthday and it was wonderful from start to finish. Neither of has had ever been to the restaurant before so it was a bit of a risk, in the end it was a risk worth taking. Our waitress was super knowledgable and friendly, the food was unreal, and the atmosphere was quiet and intimate (keep in mind it was a Tuesday, no idea what this place is like on weekends). I would definitely come again for dinner or maybe even to sample some wine from their extensive wine list. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening outwahsupdocDined on 1/10/2014Lovely evening out in a hidden gem of a restaurant. Great local products in a delightful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/4/2014We had a great evening here - good for a romantic date but a little noisy. We were lucky to get a table in the corner rather than in the middle of the room. Small space but great ambience and decorating. The food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Tight SpaceRalphDined on 12/29/2013The food here was excellent. I ordered the Duck Breast with mashed sweet potato. The duck was very moist and cooked medium well. The flavor was complex and paired well with the sweet potato. We also ordered a cheese plate and Caesar salads. The anchovies on the salad were a bit salty, but the cheese plate had a variety of fresh cheeses and fresh toasted pita bread to help balance the salty. My only complaint was that the tables were squeezed into the space with very little room to navigate around them, and our table was situated near the door, so when guests came in and waited to be seated, it felt like they were standing over our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/29/2013We visited this restaurant for an anniversary meal. There was one waitress for the entire restaurant and getting her attention was impossible.
- Huge wine list, from veryMarkEDined on 12/28/2013Huge wine list, from very expensive to affordable. They have a small menu of entrées, but they are all outstanding, and unique. There is limited romantic seating, so make reservations. We going back next year for our anniversary!Special Features:
- We Loved it!TommyDined on 12/28/2013Great food all around the board. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FiletJennisvtDined on 12/27/2013You go downstairs and down a quiet hall to the little, dark, Blue Cat Cafe. The wine list is gigantic and the menu is not so you know they are cooking the dishes to perfection. It has a European feel in its coziness and simplicity. The servers are incredibly attentive and part of the experience. We come for the perfect filet..can't make that at home. While there are mostly parties of 2, I've seen larger families with children accomodated. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice findeggsVIPDined on 12/27/2013Small intimate place, actually a bit hard to find in an office buidling. But once in, loved the ambiance and music. Both of us had steak (their specialty?). My husband ordered filet and really like it. I ordered the special, flat iron steak and was not excited about it. I was told there was no rub on it or sauce, but it tasted like some sort of chili powder or something maybe. Only real complaint was that it took an extremely long time to get our food. There are only 12 tables in the restaurant but the chef seemed to be doing lots of other things, like going on line and chatting up a couple at the bar. It seemed strange to wait so long. Only 3 choices for dessert, none of which enticed us. Coffee was very good though.Special Features:
- Wonderful find in BurlingtonGeneDined on 12/26/2013We ate with a group of six and therefore sampled many of the menu choices: Streak, fois gras, salmon, ravioli, etc. All the food was thoughtfully and excellently prepared. HIghly recommended. This restaurant is a real gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful diningLibbysDined on 12/26/2013We had a wonderful dining experience in a beautiful spot off of the beaten path. Food was delicious, affordable, and the restaurant was set up in such a way that my wife and i were able to communicate easily. They even have onsite parking, and the reservations were easily made and moved due to weatherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gem!CatLoverrrDined on 12/24/2013Wonderfully prepared food with wonderful service! My mother and I came here for our Christmas Eve dinner and were extremely happy with the quality of service and food. I tried foie gras and roast duck for the first time and they were both prepared perfectly. The waitress was friendly, knowledgable, and made good recommendations of food and wine to try. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good things come in small packagesPatrickDined on 12/6/2013Small dining area but worth making the reservation. Rather large bar however for three spur of the moment dining or after work cocktails. Food is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in Burlington, VTLarryBDined on 11/29/2013We regularly visit Burlington from Boston. A real and significant reason is another fine meal att the Blue Cat, which we think of as "our place" The "specialties" are WINE and steak(s). I note the wine first because the wines by the glass are better than any I've encountered. As for the steak, steak is (largely) steak, but these are thick and cooked just as you ordered them (many restaurants overcook due to sloppiness). My simple suggestion: GO!Special Features:
- Expected moreMikeDined on 11/29/2013Problem 1 was finding the restaurant in the alley. Very small dining room w/ 2 ornate pillars that force you to lean over any diner sitting in the adjacent seating. The food was good but not remarkably good. The shrimp cocktail was average. The steaks were well cooked but seasoned poorly. They had smoky flavor but lacked in salt and pepper. The wait staff were courteous but became less attentive as the dining room filled with patrons. The two took care of the dining area and the bar. Therefore there was no offer of more wine and while desert was mentioned as the plates were removed we didn't get an opportunity to try any as our waitress thanked us and presented the check several minutes later. Expect more when spending $100 before tip.Special Features:
- Loved Blue CatpattiDined on 11/26/2013Will definitely return. Excellent food. Excellent wine. Excellent server. Small & intimate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic filetGoods48Dined on 11/24/2013I've been to The Blue Cat twice in one week and had the filet both times because it was so good the first time. The second time was just as fantastic as the first. My wife had the sirloin special and raved about the flavor. The menu is skewed in favor of steaks for entrees, but there also seemed to be a nice list of salads as well. The restaurant is intimate and wood paneled. It was a thoroughly wonderful meal.Special Features:
- Love this placekeithjevtDined on 11/23/2013I always have a good meal at the Blue Cat. They have great steaks at a fair price. Nice wine list and good service.Special Features:
- Great MealHoyt80Dined on 11/23/2013The Blue Cat is a hidden treasure in the heart of Burlington! The food and atmosphere are both spectacular and the wait staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and great at what they do! I highly recommend dinner at The Blue Cat, one of the best meals you can find anywhere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic at its bestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2013The best romantic place in Burlington, and the service was excellent. Very friendly and smiling people. Definitely a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb steakslaneylouDined on 11/14/2013Loved the quiet coziness and the feeling of intimacy. The steaks were cooked to perfection as well as the salmon. The service was terrific. She made sure we were able to get to our play on time without feeling rushed. Can not wait to return to try more dishes.Special Features:
- My wife and I went to theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2013My wife and I went to the Blue Cat for our anniversary. The restaurant is small and quite, perfect for a romantic dinner. Service was great.Special Features: