140 - 3866 Bayview Street
Richmond, BC V7E 4R7Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bluecanoerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6042757811
- Hours of Operation:
Winter Hours effective October 1 Sunday to Thursday - 11:30 am to 10 pm Friday and Saturday - 11:30 am to 11 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Danilo Ibarra
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Manager 6042757811
A word from Blue Canoe
Situated in the heart of historic Steveston Village, with unparalleled views of the harbour and Fishermen's Pier, Blue Canoe is a unique seafood restaurant offering the best quality and variety of local fresh seafood, prepared simply with the freshest local ingredients available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Blue Canoe - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Blue Canoe reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since June 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (85)great for outdoor dining (73)neighborhood gem (49)special occasion (38)fit for foodies (30)great for lunch (29)good for groups (28)romantic (21)hot spot (17)kid-friendly (15)great for brunch (13)notable wine list (12)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Great food lousy serviceDisappointedDined on 10/11/2014While the food was really good the service was lousy. We were never asked whether we would like another drink and at the end of our plates were whipped away and he presented us with the bill. Again never asked whether we would lime dessert or coffee.Special Features:
- Memorable Evening.CharDined on 10/3/2014Stunning view of sunset, cosy west coast decor, great food...made for a wonderful birthday celebration!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant ambiance n delicious foodcomidaeuropaDined on 9/29/2014The only issue i had was a hair that came on my lime in my corona besides that all was great. .....wish I had gotten a free dessert after the hair incident.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in every way!ExperiencedDined on 9/25/2014Last year we hosted a large groom's pre-wedding dinner for our son and a party of 26. Everything was excellent/well-timed. On my latest luncheon experience, it was even better. Thank you for your delicious food. It is always a pleasure to experience the results of an excellent chef and well trained staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uncertain if I'd go backMeliciousDined on 9/21/2014A large group of us went to Blue Canoe. I made a reservation so they knew we were coming. I had heard awesome things about the place. Although our waiter seemed to try he clearly could not take care of all his tables; they must have been short staffed. We got water right away and the waiter said hello right away, but then it went downhill. It took a really long time to get our drink order in, longer to get our food order in and forever to get our food. In the meantime smaller tables had their dinner and were leaving. One person in our group complained at the bar. That person, acting manager? responded in completely the wrong way, making it worse. No apology. We got dinner 1.5 hours+ after arriving. We had been out kayaking and were hungry!
- Awesome NightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014We went for a special occasion and sat on the patio. It was a gorgeous night and the view is unbelievable! Our server was so professional. He looked after us so well. He poured our wine, he spaced the food wonderfully. The food was amazing! We had the lobster mac & cheese for an appie and wanted to lick the bowl (we shared). I had the lamb shank, so good. The german mashed potatoes, wow! I would go back for sure and recommend to friends. It isn't a cheap night, but you get what you pay for and it is worth it. We had an appie, a bottle of wine, an after dinner coffee (with bailey's) and we both had dessert for under $200 including tip (pretty good). We made a reservation, but you can't reserve the patio, so we waited and it was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good place 4 family to share a mealfansDined on 9/15/2014we came and loved the evening we had here. The server was great--attentive, energetic and knowledgeable. The menu had many interesting, creative entrees to choose from; as did the appetizers. My husband loved your chowder. All of us were felt satisfied from what we ordered and would order it again. A dessert was not necessary as we were full from our meals. Cannot comment on the wine, or other alcohol beverages, as we do not drink. Keep up your great work! We will be back.Special Features:
- Go for the chowder and viewRonv318Dined on 9/13/2014I have tried this restaurant several times over the last few years and the only thing that is good is the seafood chowder and the view. Food is inconsistent and I never walk out of that restaurant saying what a great meal. My friends all echo that comment. This last visit was for lunch, tables were sticky, we were told it's the table finish. Roasted Brussel sprouts salty to the point of being in edible (taken off the bill) seafood fettucini bland. Sorry blue canoe but it's the last time I'll be coming.Special Features:
- Lunch at Blue CanoeeatnlookDined on 9/12/2014Great food. Love watching the activity on the water. Service is always great. Sat on the patio this time with some friends and enjoyed a late lunch. We have been there many times and always enjoy the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedgoodyfoodieDined on 9/11/2014firstly it took about half an hour before a lady came back to take our order; secondly it took about an hour before our food arrived; thirdly my fish and chips order, batter was uncooked and soggy on the inside and fish was not fresh - had a bad smell; I asked for tobasco sauce to cover up the bad taste but tobasco NEVER came.Special Features:
- experienceLifeDined on 9/7/2014The atmosphere was in total character with the waterfront of Steveston. My daughter & I had an inside window seat with a beautiful view of the river. Fishing boats were going up & down the river while we ate which was so relaxing. Food & service were very good. Would definitely go back. This was my first time using Open Table & I wasn't sure what I was suppose to do. The hostess was very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnJDined on 9/6/2014Took out of town friends. Lovely location at sunset. Wonderful fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little slowrweagleDined on 8/31/2014Took almost 1 hour to get our order That was from the time of order being taken. Waiter was friendly and did a fir job. My steak was ordered medium rare it came almost to the well done stage. The seafood share platter was very good. I would have sent steak back but rook so long to get in the first place I didn't want to wait on a new one. So a tough one on saying I would recommend I would give it 1 more try This due to the location the waiter and the seafood share platter was very good.Special Features:
- Great Special Occasion Spot > >PaulJan222Dined on 8/30/2014Always a wonderful eating experience > great food, location, service & scenic view !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you..!JeffDined on 8/28/2014It was our 10 year anniversary and I asked them to make me look good; and they didn't disappoint. We got a nice corner table on the patio and they laid out our wine glasses we had at our wedding before hand, so it was a nice, sentimental surprise. We started with the brussel sprouts, (which my wife loves) and I had the mussels. Both were outstanding. I had the paella, which was delicious; lots of fresh seafood, and my wife had the prawn fettuccine. Again, both outstanding. A special thanks to Rob and Bonnie for helping our 10 year anniversary really memorable. See you all soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Loc/Good Food/meh serviceStevestonGuyDined on 8/26/2014Awesome view of the river, boats, and sunset from the outside patio - people inside the restaurant kept coming out to take photos it was so beautiful. Food was good, they customized pasta dish to suit friend's tastes. Seafood share plate had good variety, but it was funny how the seafood (smoked salmon and grilled prawns) were placed on top of ice cubes, which melts... quickly... in the summer, so you had to fish them out of the iced water to eat them. Service was not very attentive. Slow to take initial order, didn't note specials until we asked, empty bottle of wine for 20-30 minutes while we were waiting for our bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014The food was good the service was extremely slow. We were the first ones there and the people that came after us were leaving and we still did not have our food. We had to flag down another server. Really how long does it take for three Caesar salads.Special Features:
- Great food ... lacking cleanlinessanniversaryDined on 8/24/2014Food was delicious and our waiter was great BUT table was sticky and I found a hair in my food (which I didn't mention but should have!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food. good view. good serviceyy014Dined on 8/22/2014Free parking was a bit hard to find around 7pm. We got brought in very quickly but there seem to be under staff? The inside was not full but we waited a bit to get our orders in. But the server was awesome, she is an older lady, she stopped us from ordering too much and made good recommendation for food. Food came out fast, and were very yummy. We were able to see the sunset from the inside. I enjoyed it a lot and will go back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food...great!! The WAIT...awful!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014We had a lovely dinner at Blue Canoe but it took over an hour before we were finally seated.. I know you cannot guarnantee a patio table but if you have made a reservation over two weeks in advance, I feel something should be done to access a patio table ahead of people that just show up for dinner without a reservation... The food was delicious and the service was great but the wait for a patio table, after we had made a res, was awful. The noise level inside is way to loud to carry on a conversation hence the patio table request. We will be back but will choose a slower evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal!!!!!luv2dineVancouverDined on 8/16/2014We had one of the best meals ever!!! She had roasted brussel sprouts, salad and we shared some roasted corn on the cob. I also had the haida gwaii halibut. Each dish was absolutely delicious. I normally "HATE" brussel sprouts, but I tried one and it was DELICIOUS!!!!! Also, the corn was done in such a way that it was absolutely to die for!!! Each dish tasted like nothing we'd ever had before - it was SO GOOD!!! We heartily recommend that you give this restaurant a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service I've ever received!RosiegirlDined on 8/16/2014We had a waitress that was outstanding...great energy, made us feel special with her thoughtful attention even though the place was hopping busy, offered menu suggestions and it was obvious that she knew the menu well. I was very impressed! And the food...to die for! We shared the lobster mac and cheese and the seafood salad...wow! It is pricey but worth every penny.Special Features:
- Great night outADAMO100Dined on 8/16/2014Very nice restaurant with a very nice view. The quality of the food was excellent as was the service. However some of the portions are surprisingly small for the price. As an example for 15.00 one would expect a few more leaves of salad.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- promising but just okayLaurenDined on 8/15/2014- had the table in the corner, happened to glance at the floor area behind my chair and was shocked at how dirty it was - food was good, service lukewarm, unfortunately seated next to us was a rather rather large group with whining childrenSpecial Features:
- Girls night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Ok we may not be "girls", but we are women who know a good thing. Blue Canoe is a good thing, food ,service and the view. Even on a cooler cloudy evening, cuddling up by the water with a great glass of wine, succulent oysters and a hearty salad is the perfect soul soother. Although the deck can be a bit loud, the food and the ambience and excellent wine choices make up for that small issue. Then just as a decadent treat, Pavlova, it was so good I really didn't want to share it. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Hint of Spain in Richmondluv2dine2Dined on 8/14/2014In a recent visit to Spain, I tried to appreciate the typical dish of 'paella', but each time came away wondering why anyone would find it extraordinary. In a recent visit to The Blue Canoe, I found that it CAN be extraordinary. The dish rated 100% for its savoury, flavourful taste. By adding the Tres Leche dessert, the delightful view from the restaurant and the attentiveness of the staff, I had a dining delight I look forward to repeating. I had to bring my own companions, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thumb upupTin2wonDined on 8/10/2014Excellent service, very friendly ! Give as much time we need for the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Place to EatGoodValueDined on 8/8/2014Have not be disappointed the times e have eaten hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Food was tasty, but just a little too much butter on the fish for my liking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, however....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014Very good food. We had a great evening. We were about to leave when all four of us noticed a couple of mice running under one of the tables. In spite of the very nice evening I may be hard pressed to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Customer service needs repairReservationsPleaseDined on 8/2/2014Booked online & requested patio. Arrived early, asked about seating on patio to be told the patio is first come first served & there were people who walked up and put their name on a list. Asked why a reservation is not considered putting your name in for the patio and were told it was not. They seated us in a booth inside; terrible. Asked if when a table came up we could be seated outside. Was told that they could move people from an outside to inside but not from inside to outside. Response was so ridiculous we almost left but approached another staff person thankfully receiving a logical response; told there were tables opening up on the patio & were seated outside in less than 5 minutes. Evening saved but not without a bad taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue CanoeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014I chose this restuarant knowing it would be noisy inside, but, hoping to sit outside. We couldn't sit outside but were seated beside a window. The service was excellent and the food was delicious. The chicken drumettes were exactly the way my companion ordered them and my crabcake and roasted romaine was a delicious new experience. The window was open and so we had a breeze and a fantastic view. Our experience was very excellent. I would recommend it to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inconsistent food qualityBusinessdinnerDined on 7/29/2014My 2nd taste of the Tuna Ceviche was saltier than my first - so much so that it dominated the flavour. Do they taste their food? My first taste of their CAB steak had a funny taste to it - like some sort of metal flavour. It was served on a hot iron dish but it could also because of switching my palate from the Tuna Ceviche to the steak. I don't know but it was unsatisfying. For what I paid, I don't think I would go back. You can't beat the view. It was gorgeous on a summer's day.Special Features:
- Usually wonderful but...FoodluvVIPDined on 7/26/2014This was our worst experience at this restaurant. My husband ordered the halibut which was a sliver of a piece, over cooked a fishy tasting for $31. I ordered the steak and quinoa salad, which I've had before, but I no longer eat meat so I asked for the steak to be left off. They added a couple more grilled veggies but this time there was about 2 tablespoons of quinoa mixed through the grilled vegetables with some soggy fried onions on top. The dressing was completely different than the description. The shocking part was, they didn't adjust the price. No steak and still $17.99???? Terrible. I don't know if it was an off night for them but we won't be rushing back and this was one of our favorite places. Too bad!!!Special Features:
- Nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014Great location, nice deck overlooking the fish boats. This also comes with the occasional plumes of exhaust. Understandable, these are working fishing docks, not a problem, just be prepared if it happens, it will pass quickly. Our server was very good. Our coffee had some "film" from the bottom of the urn or from the spout? My "Sweet Mojave Rain" came in a martini glass but was about half full, for $8.50? Good drink, just too much for too little. My wife's drink, the "French Kiss" was really good. Don't try the Sangria. The Tuna Ceviche was quite nice. The Lobster Mac & Cheese is Crazy good! 3 of us had 1 piece fish & chips and found it to be 80% batter. The 4th person said the Grilled Pork Skewers were pretty good.Special Features:
- Blue Canoe DiningAlbee55Dined on 7/23/2014Our dining experience at the Blue canoe was pleasant. Our server was very attentive and knowledgeable. We were seated at an outside table with a very nice view of Steveston harbour. Overall a nice experience.Special Features:
- dining@stevestongoing2eatDined on 7/16/2014Menu choice was good. Seafood salad very good .My partner order the Trout and it was uncooked in the middle. Waitress was notified and said she could sent it back. Since I was finished my meal, he ate what was cooked. Also booked a patio table and were told it would be a 20 minute wait when we arrived.Special Features:
- Delicious & SustainablevancitymegDined on 7/11/2014So much flavour!!!! I had the mussels & fries. Husband had the lamb (he raved about it too!) Perfect portion size and so fresh. My only complaint is no bread before the meal (hence giving service a 4 but our server was simply fantastic)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant deck on the oceanOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/9/2014A smaller location mounted on stilts over the water. Deck is great for watching the local fishing boats and enjoying the outdoors.Special Features:
- Great patioOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/8/2014I have been to the Blue Canoe on many occasions but it was great this time as I was finally able to get a table outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.