Blue Bottle Cafe
101 East Broad Street
Hopewell, NJ 08525Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Blue Bottle Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thebluebottlecafe.com/
- Phone: 6093331710x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Aaron Philipson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout
- Catering: Customized catering for your off-premise event is available. Please contact the restaurant directly for more information.
- Special Events: We've had all sorts of requests... from cupcake decorating parties for kids' birthdays to ladies night out cooking classes. A buffet brunch for a baby shower, sure, we've done that too. Let us know how we can personalize a great experience for your group!
A word from Blue Bottle Cafe
With seasonally inspired menus featuring local produce, hormone/antibiotic-free meats and sustainable fish and seafood, The Blue Bottle Café will delight even the most discerning diners. Chef-Owner Aaron Philipson is known for his bold flavors, pristine sauces, and thoughtful combinations of delectable ingredients. Comprised of three intimate dining rooms, the restaurant is perfect for casual get togethers, business lunches and dinners and other private events. The current Fall 2013 menu features dishes like our Duo of Wild Boar with Boar Chop and Housemade Sausage, Spaetzle, Gruyere Pilsner Fondue, Pretzel Crumble, Garlic Spinach and Sauce Charcutiere. Our in house pastry chef has your last bites covered too with her Butterscotch Pot du Crème, Whipped Cream and Fresh Berries...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Blue Bottle Cafe - Best Restaurants in Princeton ›
Blue Bottle Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (88)neighborhood gem (70)special occasion (69)romantic (38)great for lunch (18)good for groups (13)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014Delightful and thoughtful service. I mentioned before we came that my friend was allergic to garlic. Upon arriving, they provided her with a special menu with anything that had garlic in it already highlighted. She was so pleased and it was extremely helpful and saved us time. Food and service perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryEveningAnniversaryEveningDined on 8/29/2014Food was excellent in both flavor and presentation. Service was excellent. Will probably dine there again but not on a regular basis because the food is on the pricey side.Special Features:
- Best FoodGreenVIPDined on 8/28/2014Great food and a BYO. Consistently very good in many ways.Special Features:
- Consistently excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Locally sourced ingredients make for a richly varied seasonal menu. Chef Aaron Philipson ably transforms the ordinary into the extraordinary, giving a creative twist to each dish. Whether you like a new slant on old favorites, or want to have a gourmet adventure, this charming Central NJ BYOB is for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingwineanddineVIPDined on 8/27/2014This was a really great meal on a wonderful starter (chicken liver pate) and an entrée (wild-caught salmon). I did remember to save room for dessert (and was so glad that I did)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/26/2014I've been to Blue Bottle several times now and am always glad I came. Great wait staff, interesting and delicious menu using fresh locally grown ingredients, and casual and relaxed. Love the BYOB and jump on any opportunity to go there.Special Features:
- Excellent FindSharDined on 8/23/2014We love this restaurant & have been many times, it never disappoints. The layering of flavors on each dish make this restaurant a true gourmet heaven. We are usually talking about our meal for days. . The waitstaff is very professional & friendly. The scallops are outstanding & you can't go wrong with any dish. Even the chicken is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, Inventive CuisineUlteemitVIPDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I enjoyed an excellent dinner here for our wedding anniversary, which fell on a Saturday night. The Blue Bottle salad was a delicious combination of several lettuces, pine nuts, halved red seedless grapes, and shave Manchego cheese. My entree of broiled diver scallops was perfectly cooked and succulent. My wife's entree of marinated tofu and pave of roasted summer vegetables was good but a bit bland. The coconut cake with coconut sorbet was to die for. All in all a great dining experience. Wait staff was very polite and attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big City Quality Small Town EaseFlushingFirstTimersDined on 8/23/2014Though we hadn't been to the Blue Bottle in a year, we found the quality of the food and service still top notch. The menu offered a number of different choices from salmon and sea scollops to steak and pork. The side dishes were an array of locally grown vegetables and herbs. Everything was cooked to perfection and attractively served.Special Features:
- Off the Beaten TrackFoodieFunNJDined on 8/22/2014Just outside the borough of Hopewell NJ is an unassuming looking building housing the Blue Bottle Cafe. Inside is a powerhouse restaurant with some of the best food in Central NJ. Interesting menu changes seasonally with good selection of vegetable, meat and fish dishes. Excellent staff and lively if a bit noisy environment. Worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELICIOUS!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/21/2014Hands down, the best restaurant in central NJ. The food changes with seasons so there is always something new to try. The chef is a sauce wizard! Scallops are always divine; tonight's variation with chanterelles, shallots, corn and farro was no exception. A delicious popcorn cream added a really nice touch. Equally successful was a meatball appetizer with an excellent spicy tomato basil sauce. Desserts are plate licking good here as well, all made in house by one of the owners, tonight I tried profiteroles with caramel sea salt ice cream and hot fudge.Special Features:
- DjdtVIPDined on 8/19/2014Blue Bottle is one of our favorite places to eat. We had chicken and salmon. Sauces make the dishes special. Blue Bottle salad is something we always get. Very good food and nice people waiting on customers. BYOB is nice too.Special Features:
- Always OutstandingJerseyGirlDined on 8/14/2014The Blue Bottle is one of our favorite restaurants. The food is fantastic and service outstanding. I had the Day Scallops, which were prepared to perfection. My husband had the Pork dish. which he raved about. For dessert we shared the Profiteroles and they were absolutely delicious. Service was very attentive, but not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningBeanieDined on 8/12/2014My husband and I went to Blue Bottle for our 35th anniversary. The restaurant was a perfect choice. The atmosphere is cozy and charming, and the food is outstanding and beautifully presented. The rock shrimp lettuce wrap appetizer and the monkfish entree are particularly recommended. The service was excellent also. it was a perfect way to celebrate a special occasion, but also a great choice for a nice evening out.Special Features:
- What a wonderful findprinceton5Dined on 8/8/2014Found this restaurant through Open Table. Small, quaint and unpretentious. Great for a romantic night out. Top notch food without the stuffiness, BYOB and they'll provide the glasses and ice bucket. Seasonal menu with few choices for each course making it a easier to decide. Caramel sea salt ice cream was amazing for dessert. Food, service, ambience all spot on. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood questionableDineineDined on 8/1/2014My teenage daughter told me her shrimp was pasty, not sign of freshness, and my wife found her seafood pancake tasted foul. Salmon was so unremarkable. Its dull taste also indicated unfreshness. However my scallop was fresh and nice. A restaurant with a creative bent. Please make sure your seafood is fresh! We wanted to like the food, because the staff and ambience were nice. But we have to admit, it was not worth it.... Other restaurants of similar price range have better quality control of the freshness of their ingredient.Special Features:
- OutstandingMiamangiaVIPDined on 8/1/2014Consistently a great place for food, service and atmosphere. The offerings are presented beautifully, but more importantly, delicious! We had the chicken liver mousse, and it was so creamy and full of flavor. The chees plate was likewise as tempting, with the perfect accompaniments. Service was outstanding, very informative and efficient. \Even the hostess, took her job seriously. Always a winner!Special Features:
- OddMateoDined on 7/31/2014It's strange to have serving staff not make eye contact with you once while dining. It's also odd to have your bill given to you just as you get dessert. Perhaps it's not so odd, but it all seemed a push to get you out. The food was unnecessarily complicated, though the scallops were good; a bit sticky. Dessert was frozen and thawed. Bleh. On a lighter note, the front hostess was lovely, smiled, made eye contact and even refilled our water glasses as we were overlooked for a little too long. Many have recommended the Blu Bottle Cafe, and we disappointed. We will not be returning. So odd.
- So yummy!!Sarahd80Dined on 7/31/2014First time here and food was delicious & dessert (lemon box pie) was amazing!! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingHappydinerDined on 7/30/2014This is the second time that I have visited this restaurant in the past year. The atmosphere is lovely, the food selection are very innovative. We had a delicious meal. My only complaint the last time we were there was that the jokes level was quite high. That was not the case the previous time that I dined there. I absolutely plan to return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalwineanddineVIPDined on 7/30/2014I seem to always have a great experience here and this time was no exception. From the chicken liver pate to the NJ monkfish, everything was done to perfection. I don't normally order a dessert as I am usually quite satisfied after the two courses, but I couldn't resist Rory's Lemon Ice Box pie; it shouldn't to be missed and is wonderful conclusion to a summer meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food, charming, but loudnsnjDined on 7/26/2014We met up from PA, NJ and NYC on a Sat eve. Our alternative is Lambertville/New Hope and this restaurant easily beats ones I have tried there. Blue Bottle is a modest house from outside, but charming inside. The food was very good--interesting without being too far out there. Everyone found a dish to like and all seemed very fresh. The scallops were a hit, and the tofu dish was great (and I'm not a vegetarian). I also love that it's BYO. Service was unobtrusive and they helped out with a candle on mom's dessert. However, tables were packed tightly, so dishes had to be passed to/from the server for some of us--Not great. If you were 2 or 4, it would be better than our 6. Also, for a small place, it was very noisy. Still, hope to go again.Special Features:
- Always exceptionalDrMomDined on 7/23/2014We are not sure why this excellent restaurant is located in little Hopewell, NJ, but we are very glad it's here. Most recently, we chose it for a family birthday celebration and the evening was a great success. Our party of five sampled a range of dinner entrees and all were delicious. A special birthday dessert topped off our evening. Just remember to book ahead - it is a relatively small establishment and has a loyal following.Special Features:
- Great mealFoodieInNJDined on 7/19/2014Once again, Blue Bottle Café served up a fine meal with great service. The owner greeted us with a smile, we were seated immediately and were taken care of by an attentive (but not overly so) waiter. The food was excellent (I had the butterhead lettuce with pate crostini and the scallops, my with had a salad followed by the gnocchi, and we shared a coconut cake/sorbet dessert. Really terrific, all aroundSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Excellent restaurant, wish they'd open another nearer the PA border.
- Creative sides, vegetables & saucespsfoodieDined on 7/16/2014Perfectly cooked fresh salmon & flat iron steak. Loved the matching sauces and accompanying vegetables. New lettuce wrap appetizer with rock shrimp was fabulous and perfect to share. Server friendly and professional. Delightful, creative food combinations that do not overwhelm the fresh, natural flavors of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Wonderful ExperiencesCrazyRaeVIPDined on 7/15/2014I have eaten at Blue Bottle numerous times and have always had wonderful experiences! The good and the staff are always on point. Stop in and try the new menu-it will not disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make ReservationsgogogadgetDined on 7/12/2014This is a great (little) place. With only about 15 tables throughout 3 rooms, getting a seating time of your choice on a weekend can be chancy. We changed our original booking from 5:45 on a Saturday to 9pm. The place was still hopping when we left at 11pm. This is a B.Y.O.B restaurant. There is a very well stocked liquor store about a mile down the main street. My sea scallops were very good. Our waitress was delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceYogamomVIPDined on 7/12/2014Excellent fresh dinner with fish and meat options and a few vegetarian choices too! Wonderful service and homemade desserts were amazing! Highly recommend and byob🍷Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/11/2014Food was impeccable and overall atmosphere was fantastic. Server took some time to warm up to guests which was off-putting, but everything came together towards the end.Special Features:
- FantasticEHBranchburgVIPDined on 7/9/2014One word sums up my first time dining experience at the Blue Bottle Café - - "Fantastic". One of the best dining experiences that I have had so far this year. Excellent food and flawless service - and the BYOB keeps it reasonable. Will return for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary Restaurant!JackDined on 7/9/2014After passing by the Blue Bottle many times, we finally ate there for our wedding anniversary. We sat in the back room with many windows that overlooks the woods. It was a very romantic setting for any special occasion or just anytime you want a special meal. The menu was very pleasing with many possible choices I could have ordered. My husband chose the Monk fish and I enjoyed the flat iron steak. Delicious and generous portions, too.Special Features:
- Terrific foodDogladyDined on 6/28/2014Blue bottle is an amazing place that serves excellent food by an excellent chef. Each of the 4 of us ordered something different. Each meal was well prepared, delicious and not to be forgotten. We will be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great reviews - on the markOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/28/2014We went here having high expectations thanks to the many rave reviews on both OpenTable and Yelp. We were not disappointed. The special appetizer of crab cake stuffed fried zucchini flowers was particularly outstanding. A long trip for us, but we'd gladly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentoldschoolcitymattDined on 6/27/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at Blue Bottle Cafe. The atmosphere was nice, and the food was excellent. The stuffed chicken dish was outstanding, and the dessert was very good as well. I consider it one of the best restaurants I have ever been to (along with Nicholas and David Burke's Fromagerie).Special Features:
- LunchwineanddineVIPDined on 6/25/2014This was a fine choice for lunch. From the soup to the halibut, everything was delicious. In fact, it was the usual high standards that, regardless of whether it's lunch or dinner, one can always expect.Special Features:
- Never fails to satisfy.cbjohnnyDined on 6/21/2014I have been to Blue Bottle a number of time for different occasions. The food and service is always terrific.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2014This restaurant was such a lucky find on opentable. The food, the service all excellent. I highly recommend this restaurant for a special occasion or any occasion. You can tell how much time was spent by chef to prepare such a perfect meal and perfect presentation.Special Features:
- Awesome food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/20/2014Different than the "normal", but everything was exceptional. We all cleaned our plates!Special Features:
- PisecoDined on 6/20/2014As usual very good. Been going to Blue Bottle for years on very special occasions. Used to be very expensive comparatively but prices seem to be more competitive now. May use more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.