Blue Bird Bistro
Kansas City, MO 64108Neighborhood:
OrganicPrice: $31 to $50
Blue Bird Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluebirdbistro.com/
- Phone: 8162217559
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to Saturday 7am to 10pm Sunday 10am to 2pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Steak, Vegetarian / Vegan
- Executive Chef: Lisa Yamanaka
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: blue bird bistro will prepare organic, all natural and local food for your special event. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- Private Party Facilities: blue bird bistro has private rooms seating up to 40 guests or receptions for up to 100 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Morgan 8162217559
- Special Events: Monthly farmers' table dinners, five courses of all local food. Details on farmerstable.bluebirdbistro.com
A word from Blue Bird Bistro
The idea behind blue bird bistro is a simple one. Actually, it's more an ideal than an idea. An ideal that starts with a passion for organic food and our desire to share its benefits. A belief in pure, all natural foods unburdened of artificial additives and preservatives. A responsibility to promote sustainable foods and the positive impact that it makes on our world. And a commitment to work closely with local farmers who share in these ideals. The result is an eclectic mix of flavorful, delicious organic fare, ideal for the discerning diner. A diner who truly understands how good organic can be.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Blue Bird Bistro - Best Restaurants in Kansas City ›
Blue Bird Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (36)fit for foodies (26)great for brunch (20)romantic (16)great for lunch (13)special occasion (12)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (3)notable wine list (3)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- DisappointingcorgsinKCDined on 8/17/2014I went there for brunch and was very disappointed. Not only were they out of a lot of items (including jam for biscuits) but we waited forever for our food. Finally, after 15min, the waitress came to tell me they were out of the fritatta and served my friend while I waited. I was then brought a sad, small omelet with tiny bits of red pepper and squash inside. Half of the ingredients listed on the omelet on the menu were not in there. My side of bacon was a floppy 3" slice of gray bacon and a bunch of gristle. By this point, I was so hungry I just ate it even though it looked unappetizing. The coffee was good and my friend's blackberry and mint pancakes were delicious, but overall the service was lacking and the food extremely disappointing.
- Spectacular Food; Boring ServiceTimDVIPDined on 8/16/2014Our first experience at Blue Bird - we went for dinner & it was absolutely exceptional food. Our server, however, was an older woman and very boring and rarely came to the table after taking our order. The dining room we sat in was stark and boring, although I loved the ceiling, but the walls looked dirty and it felt like could benefit from a good cleaning. All that said, I would HIGHLY recommend this restaurant for its food. I had the ribeye which was absolutely perfectly cooked and came with outstanding sides. My husband had the risotto and our friend had the 10 hour pork. Everything was delicious and we look forward to trying brunch on another date. We will certainly return for dinner too, but we'll face the other direction from walls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BreakfastSardiVIPDined on 8/16/2014French toast in the best in KC! Bacon was crisp and coffee hot! One of my favorite breakfast spots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected delightChetDined on 8/15/2014Salad was extraordinarily bold and deep in color. The entrees were both very good - high in flavor and nice portions. The 10 hour Pork was perfectly brazed and the vegetarian dish was loaded with great mushrooms and with a hint of fresh lemon.Special Features:
- A great spot for breakfastKarenVIPDined on 8/14/2014We were meeting friends from out of town, and the bluebird was the perfect spot to meet for a late breakfast. Great menu and food was lovely.Special Features:
- really?pppkkkkVIPDined on 8/9/2014We had a 3:30pm reservation on a Saturday; there were no other customers. The wine list does not include any Pinot Grigios or Pinot Gris. Whatever we ordered, they returned with "we don't have that today--this included one of their salad dressings." No cranberry juice on hand for a Cosmopolitan; no chicken for their starters. The wait staff was extremely nice but was embarrassed to have to continuously say "I'm sorry but..." We were surprised they were so low on inventory given that it was a Saturday!
- sassyDined on 8/2/2014food was excellent...bit lax on getting one order to the tableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambiencedetroitdinerDined on 7/12/2014Greatly enjoyed the ambience and experience at Blue Bird Bistro. Food was wonderful, service was very good and the restaurant had a nice feel to it. Will definitely return on a future visit to KC.Special Features:
- First time's a charm!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/5/2014First time here and will definitely come back. Food was so delicious and my Lady Madonna drink was so tasty I could have drank a gallon of it! I had the gnocchi and my husband had the halibut and both were scrumptious!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceNICOLEKCDined on 7/5/2014This was our first visit to the restaurant and we had great service and great food. We will be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in Kansas CityAriastarfireDined on 7/3/2014The food was by far the best we had our entire weekend in KCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't listen to reviewsDJDMIDined on 6/28/2014I had the bison burger and my wife had the tomato sandwich. We also had the meatballs as an appetizer. Everything was excellent including the service. Our waiter suggested a wonderful wine that we both enjoyed. Overall this was a very pleasent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Entrees for party of four arrived at different times. Lengthy wait for a half empty restaurant.
- R2eat2Dined on 6/20/2014It seemed like Blue Bird Bistro did not have their food inventory stocked up for the Friday lunch crowd. We inquired about soup of the day - there was none. We asked for fresh-made chips with entrees - there were none. The menu looked enticing to accommodate our vegetarian guest - I ordered the veg shepherd's pie. The spring salad with blueberry vinaigrette was good, but the entree was bland, and the smoked tofu did not balance well with the dish. Other guests had the bison burger and loose burger and they enjoyed them. I think there needs to be more energy put into the vegetarian lunch selections, and I would like to give it another try.
- kitchen commentsfoodieintrainingDined on 6/15/2014The kitchen was obviously in disarray. My first choice was not available (restaurant had been open only 45 minutes) and my 2nd choice took forever to get to the table. Both were egg based. Maybe they had to encourage the free range chickens to lay eggs. This is the first time I have had an experience like this at this restaurant. But it makes me think twice about having brunch there again any time soon,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Be BackJMMHVIPDined on 6/14/2014I had not been to this organic place for years. The last time I had eaten there (that chef is gone) I was not happy. This time I loved it... again... as did all in my party. For those who love organic food this is the best in town. If you just want good food, this is a place to try. Non - gluten items more than available. The owner also worked very hard to ensure our allergies could be accommodated.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemsusanDined on 6/13/2014While I was expecting the best cuisine, I was not impressed; my salmon was prepared exactly as I ordered, but lack flavor. We will go again to try other dishes. Our waiter was very attentive.Special Features:
- WoodVIPDined on 6/9/2014I found the food lacking in taste and overall disappointing.
- Always a good meal and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/27/2014I have been going to Blue Bird on and off for 10 years. The food is always wonderfully prepared and the menu is always inventive and has a variety of menu items. Highly recommend Blue Bird.Special Features:
- JakeDined on 5/24/2014I really like this place. My daughter and son-in-law were in town from L.A. We planned a Saturday night out for dinner, I threw this one out for consideration, and that was the choice based upon my comments and a few of their friends. The online menu sealed it. We had a nice evening, the food was interesting and good, and the service excellent. The place was not busy at all for a holiday Saturday evening. My only criticism is the same one I always have here: Too small of entree servings for the price. That consistent factor probably cuts down on our regular visits by once every 3 to 4 months, otherwise we would be regulars. Even with a dessert special for the occasion, I still left hungry. And, this was not the first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We eat out a lot because we travel so much. We were in KC visiting our daughter and son for Mother's Day. Our daughter suggested your restaurant and we agreed because we had been there before and the food is very good. But NEVER have we had such poor service as we did that day! The young man was inattentive and did not even bring things when asked ! Very disappointed as this affected the mood of our dining experience.Special Features:
- Good, but a bit chaoticdiningwithlittlesDined on 5/11/2014We went for Mother's Day and we were seated upstairs, which actually worked out pretty well for us because we had little kids along, but I think I would have been frustrated with the ambiance if we'd been just adults. Our server was fine, but it was clear that the kitchen was over-worked and under-staffed. I think most of the people upstairs felt a little ignored. That being said, the food was wonderful and we all had a great time.Special Features:
- Organic, LocalBirthdayGirlDined on 5/10/2014I like seeing the garden across the street. Everything is freshly prepared using organic, local ingredients. Some portions are small but adequate.Special Features:
- enjoyablejimjr21Dined on 5/7/2014Really enjoy Blue Bird Bistro. Flavors are amazing. I wanted every entree on the menu and the two desserts were fabulous. Will be back again.Special Features:
- The following 612 reviews are from the Blue Bird Bistro reviews archive.
- spottyMikeLyonDined on 5/5/2014Usually such a good experience here. Monday, however, was disappointing. My father ordered tofu scramble which turned out to be stir-fried tofu and veggies with a biscuit - bland understates it. My chicken salad would have been delicious if not for the having been so horribly over-salted (I mean burn-the-mouth salty). And instead of the honey-drizzled corn muffin described in the menu, my scoop of salty salad without other garnish arrived with a dry biscuit. No butter, no honey, no nothing. On the plus side, the Westside Cab martini three of us shared was delicious even though our server un-apologetically spilled it on the table, incompletely wiping up after and leaving us with a very sticky surface. UGH. Better luck next time!
- Blue Bird gave me the bluesFoodKritikVIPDined on 4/30/2014The waitress was slow and disorganized. We had to remind her about things she missed on our order. Then, when the check came she had charged us for salads when the meal included salads. Kind of crazy.
- Fourth experience disappointingFoodie4Dined on 4/26/2014Warning---avoid the sauteed chicken livers and ciabatta appetizer---you would find better at the Golden Corral. The Ribeye served to two of the 4 diners in our group were fatty, unappealing and served with overcooked, tasteless carrots and moisture less beans and lentils in a mason jar. I was embarrassed I recommended Blue Bird.
- Bluebird of disappointmentJayhawk1000Dined on 4/26/2014I haven't been to the blue bird in about 10 years, and it's not what I remember; I recall food that was light, fresh, and full of veggies; our meals were heavy, salty, and oily. My trout tasted good but evidently died from swimming in butter. My boyfriend is a vegan and found a chunk of meat in his vegan tagliatelle, which nearly made him gag. He said nothing to me till we were out of the restaurant because he didn't want to ruin my birthday. The service was friendly and attentive but slow; the drinks were good.Special Features:
- Birthday brunchLadyWooDined on 4/26/2014This place fills up quick, so you need a reservation! We decided to eat here for brunch for a friends birthday. We got a wonderful room for our party. Great drinks for brunch, I got the Bloody Mary, which was excellent. I ordered the French toast for brunch, it was amazing! Be aware though, the full order is huge! Service was a little slow, but the place was packed. Overall it was great!Special Features:
- Food excellent, service not so muchKChomeDined on 4/21/2014The food, as always, was exemplary. The service was 'off' this time. Had to ask for more coffee and tea and seemed to take longer than usual to take our order. Usually service is spot on and timely. I love to linger at Blue Bird, but due to my work demands, I need a place that I can count on getting in and out quickly. It is very close to downtown KC and never hard to find parking. Blue Bird is a KC treasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing fresh foodWomenWhoMeanBusinessVIPDined on 4/8/2014Delicious flavors and fun vibe. An absolute MUST for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedNewtoKCDined on 4/6/2014Saw good reviews and was excited to try it. The restaurant didn't open on time. Food was luke warm when served, and not that good. Experienced it once, don't need to go back.
- Prices are all over the placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014Prices are all over the place and don't reflect the quality or proportions. $8 for decent meatloaf and then $39 for a mediocre at best 6-7 oz. beef tenderloin. Not worth the price at all.
- Meagre PortionsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/30/2014Enjoy paying entree prices for starter-sized serving? This is your spot.Special Features:
- Good BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014We had a very tasty brunch- not easily found in KC.Special Features:
- Poor service overshadows good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014We made a reservation for a special occasion brunch. It took 15 minutes for someone to come to our table and take drink orders, another 15 to take our meal orders and an additional 45 to receive our food. Brunch overall took 2 hours, including 20 minutes to get our bill after I complained to the manager. Servers were rude, we were told several times to "be patient." Many of our orders were incorrect, we were given extra dishes and drinks no one ordered and had to pay for them. The food is very good here but after an experience like that, I won't be taking my business there again.Special Features:
- Lovely very friendlyMomMomDined on 3/19/2014This is like eating with your best friends the menu is unusual but tempting. And the chocolate pie is not to be missedSpecial Features:
- Tasty stuffjupiterDined on 3/17/2014I'd eaten here before for breakfast and they had the best French toast I've ever tasted. This time I had a Bison burger with mashed potatoes. It was very tasty although the portions are a little on the small side. I didn't leave with a full stomach, but I'd go here again because the food is so good. My biggest complaint is the menu I was given didn't match what was on their website.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsbrewedbehaviorDined on 3/14/2014Locally sourced ingredients, solid wine list and servers who care make this my " go to".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnimpressedFoodie22Dined on 3/14/2014I had heard a number of great reviews about the food, and was excited to finally try it. I was rather unimpressed. I had a BBQ tofu sandwich, and the BBQ sauce was way too sweet and overpowering. The bun was soggy from all of the BBQ sauce. I only had about three bites of my meal before calling it a loss. It is a unique place and would possibly go back...but only for drinks.