Blue Agave - Kinzie Street
555 W Kinzie St
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Blue Agave - Kinzie Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.blueagavechicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 300-6990
- Hours of Operation:
7 am to 2 am
Breakfast is served every day from 7 am to 3 pm
Regular menu starts at 11 am to Midnight Sunday through Thursday
11 am to 1 am, Friday and Saturdays.
Bar is open till 2 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Blue Agave - Kinzie Street
Open for reservations now!!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blue Agave - Kinzie Street reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (7)good for groups (7)great for outdoor dining (4)fit for foodies (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- flamingoyardartDined on 7/27/2014Had a nice family experience. Landon our server was terrific. Food was really good.Special Features:
- First Time at Blue AgaveCindyDined on 7/20/2014We've walked by Blue Agave a number of times and decided to go in for dinner. The food was not very memorable but the skinny margaritas were good. The chunky guacamole was creamy, not chunky, but tasty nonetheless. My mesquite chipotle chicken was moist and served with a pineapple jalapeno chutney, a good combination. There is a good selection of sides but the black beans were a bit of a disappointment as was the verde rice. We had to try the Mexican street corn which was a little under-cooked but we enjoyed the flavor. The fish tacos were very messy (the corn tortilla had disintegrated so could only eat the fish with a fork) but we enjoyed the fajita burrito rojo. Not overly impressed with Blue Agave, but will give it another try.Special Features:
- ljc1VIPDined on 7/11/2014Mediocre , ran out of margarita glasses?? Took a long time to get drinks, one entre came as other 2 were finishing meals!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was greatCre8lawDined on 6/28/2014We went early before a show at the Lyric Opera House (Flying Bach!) it took a little while to get a server and drinks- must have hit shift change as we sat for about five minutes before being served anything- but once we got over that, drinks were great, music was good, and fiord was exceptional! I had the stuffed chicken and it was sooo good! I definetly recommend the place for food and people watching.Special Features:
- great meal as usualsandiVIPDined on 6/24/2014Love this place, the food is great and the bar is large and comfortable. Not usually busy for lunch, hope more people show up as its a great place.Special Features:
- natsVIPDined on 6/8/2014enjoyed very much, good food. it started getting a little bit noisy, 2 drunk guys at the bar getting carried away.Special Features:
- The following 46 reviews are from the Blue Agave - Kinzie Street reviews archive.
- natsVIPDined on 5/18/2014good tequila, the tacos were good and fajitas were good. nice place.Special Features:
- Great margaritasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014Good food, good drinks and good atmosphere!!! And our server was outstanding...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & Great for groups!FoodieonlookoutDined on 5/3/2014I have the dish that comes in a lava bowl. Food was good. Trio of guacamole was awesome. I didn't like that my margarita came in a plastic cups instead of a margarita glass. My girlfriends and I had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tequila!!!RandyDined on 4/29/2014I love this place. I've been here a couple times. The food is good and the margaritas are great! There are plenty of tequila options for shots and plenty of margarita options. This place is also great for watching the games as there are multiple TVs displaying various sports channels simultaneously. I will be back and I recommend that you come as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will return!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2014Just moved to the area and craving spicy Mexican food. We stumbled across Blue Agave and we are impressed! House margarita was yummy and had ample amounts of tequila and Cointreau. Guacamole was perfect amour of spicy/creamy. Our server was quick and attentive - she wrapped our left overs so we could enjoy the next day for lunch. I found out the deliver to my building - I will be ordering soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!labios79Dined on 2/22/2014The Margaritas are delicious and the Service was totally awesome.. A OK in my Book..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay Food, Okay AtmosphereCarolDDined on 1/17/2014The food here is good, not great - it's just your standard Mexican fare. Although they did give you rather large portions - our table of four split the complimentary chips/salsa, guacamole, quesadilla and two orders of tacos and we were all very full - the food is nothing to write home about. The location of the restaurant was convenient for us as we needed to get to the Metra station after dinner with friends, but I wouldn't seek it out.Special Features:
- The food was freshBrettVIPDined on 12/23/2013The food was fresh and I think has the potential to be really good, but the some items needed a little salt (and who ever thinks a restaurant needs more salt. No one). The good news is the food quality was good and it seemed healthier than other places.
- dinnerKTREPUBLICANDined on 10/25/2013dinner was great! We love the food and prices are good. Great margaritas too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were looking for an earlyEH60613VIPDined on 10/19/2013We were looking for an early casual dinner. Blue Agave has a sports bar feel but wasn't too crowded or loud at the early hour. It could be a good place to watch a game if that's what your looking for, but personally I don't always need a TV with my meal. Food and drinks were decent, we liked that you could order a variety of small bites which isn't common with Mexican food.Special Features:
- Saturday afternoon celebration!roseVIPDined on 10/5/2013A few ladies out in the city and decided to try Blue Agave....great food, our server was wonderful, etc. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good location on the westEaglesFanVIPDined on 9/20/2013Good location on the west side of river north. Friendly knowledgeable waitstaff who was spot on with food recommendations. Entrees were moderately priced and we found convenient on street parking. Good choice for a dinner before a United Center concert or event. The corn on the cob side dish was unique and a real treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!MalibuDined on 9/6/2013This place has a comfortable atmosphere, delicious authentic Mexican food, and outstanding unique margaritas. The service was first rate. A place that I will come back to, time and time again. A very pleasant experience in every aspect. I highly recommend restaurant. It is quite a find.Special Features:
- Soirée canadian - MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2013What an excellent evening! From the beginning. The food, the service and the decor were excellent. Not only did we have a delicious dinner, we had fun! My husband prefers a less spicy salsa and the server (Brenda) was more than willing to find him a substitute. I personally loved the salsa and my husband had his own. For starters we had the shrimp wrapped in bacon and our entrée was the steak fajitas. Delicious! Not to mention the margaritas. The best!!! Recommendations came from the manager (Shaz). It was all about learning the different tequilas and tasting some of the best. We had an incredible dining and drinking (tequila) exprerience. Bravo to the staff at Blue Agave! Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Mexican foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2013This restaurant offers several unique Mexican dishes that were delectable. The waitress was full of energy and very enjoyable. Margaritas were great.Special Features:
- food was great, appetizersmaccaDined on 8/3/2013food was great, appetizers and entrees came out within 5 minutes of each other, did not get chance to enjoy appetizers, they did not charge for themSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Work In ProgressVikingBobVIPDined on 6/28/2013The service is spotty at times, & on this occasion it was borderline frustrating. After an initial greeting & drink order, our waitress went back & forth to the tables on either side of us for a good 20 minutes without coming back to take our order. Our menus were down & we were looking at her, but she never even made eye contact. Once she finally returned, we placed our order, & the food was very good, but somehow two $1.95 street tacos came out to $5.90. I questioned that with the hostess when we paid our bill, & she said some fillings are extra, like shrimp. That is not notated on the menu, nor was it mentioned by our server. I asked to speak with a manager, but he never came over. I will return but hope for better service next time.
- Great experiencecoloradogalDined on 6/26/2013Fajita burrito was very good - loved the jalapeno sauce. Green sauce on enchiladas was spicy for this gringo but tasty. Portions were generous. Peach margarita was outstanding. Looking forward to a return trip so we can try other offerings. Attentive, friendly wait staff, very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food and drinksluv2dineVIPDined on 6/7/2013The food and drinks were great and our waitress did a wonderful job! We will defintely return. My friends and I wanted to try the "new Blue Agave" and we were very pleased with the new location, food, drinks and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We walked in at lunchtimeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/24/2013We walked in at lunchtime and the place was empty. That worried me a bit, but still sat down. I'm so glad we did! The food was delicious! The free chips and salsa were terrific and we ordered the guac and veggies for dipping... so glad we did! It was absolutely delicious! I had the cilantro shrimp and was not disappointed. I can't wait to go again.
- We have now eaten here severalOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/30/2013We have now eaten here several time. The food and margaritas are decent, but the service is consistently lackadaisical. Servers tend to congregate by the kitchen and have to be waived down repeatedly throughout the meal for service, but they're always friendly when you get their attention. We eat here mainly because there are not many Mexican options in the neighborhood.
- I have to say that I was aOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/13/2013I have to say that I was a little apprehensive about Blue Agave after reading some pretty negative reviews. Well, we either got there on a great night, or they have worked to right some wrongs (and I hope the latter). Food was excellent and the service was OUTSTANDING! Best chips and salsa plus a variety of great Margaritas--Will absolutely return! Be prepared for loud!Special Features:
- Good drinksProfessorqueDined on 2/12/2013The overall experience was not bad. However, the hostess told me after checking in that they had no record of my Open Table reservation. It was odd and I showed her the email confirming it and everything. I believe it has been straightened out now. The food was good but the variety should be increased. The main idea with this place is the drinks sustain it and the food is an add on.Special Features:
- You can't go wrong with BlueGenoVIPDined on 2/9/2013You can't go wrong with Blue Agave. It's a staple here in the city. Food is good, crowd is good and service is good. That is all you need to know.Special Features:
- very good authentic mexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/9/2013very good authentic mexican food. great margaritas. not too loud where you can't hear each other, but not too quiet where you feel like you need to whisper. went with 3 girl friends and had a very nice evening! very nice setting and great service! would definitely go back soon!
- We were pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/2/2013We were pleasantly surprised by Blue Agave. The chips and salsa were excellent and so was all of the rest of the food. And they even custom made a dish for my husband. The margaritas were excellent...flavorful and actually had enough tequilla in them. We will be back! It received some bad reviews on Yelp and none of us can figure out why. We are very picky about our Mexican food and this was flavorful.Special Features:
- Prefer Maple locationwaldmkaVIPDined on 1/21/2013Wouldn't go back. Hard to get to, hard to park. Prefer Maple location in the Gold Coast
- The margaritas and guacamolemonika681Dined on 1/4/2013The margaritas and guacamole will entice me to visit this spot again! The atmosphere is great for after work drinks, too.Special Features:
- Waiter was really inattentive;LaurenVIPDined on 12/11/2012Waiter was really inattentive; it seemed as if he was purposely avoiding us. This restaurant is new and in a poor location. I don't give it much hope, especially with the really crummy service.
- Bad service!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/7/2012This was my second time at this restaurant and I probably won't be back. Our server was horrible. It took forever for our drinks to come, she left in the middle of getting our dinner order to get a pen and paper (why even ask for our order if your going to walk away while I am mid-sentence?), somehow even writing it down she still screwed up my food order. She had nothing to say other than "ok" when I told her I was lactose and tolerant and there is cheese in my soup (after asking if there was any dairy), there was sour cream all over the salad, and my steak came out well done instead of medium rare like I ordered. We would have ordered more drinks if she would have come back to our table.Special Features:
- Best place ever!!FineTenderRoniDined on 11/10/2012Food was amazing and their Blue Agave Margaritas were AWESOME!!!Special Features:
- A fun, energetic restaurantHJY1Dined on 10/27/2012We were there as a group of seven. The ambiance was great-lots of energy. The margaritas were outstanding, especially the Endless Summer. The guacamole is fresh with good texture (the avocado still chunky), but could use more zing. Chips taste homemade and arrive warm. The Steak del Fuego, was excellent, but be careful how much spice you ask for! My enchiladas were slightly dry but very flavorful. The carne asada was delicious-very tender. The service was good-the waiter knew the food and was helpful with ordering. We had a great time and would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Our food was tasty. HoweverOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2012Our food was tasty. However the questions we asked prior to ordering were not answered clearly by our server. When the food arrived, my husbands order was incorrect. To be courteous he said it was ok that he would eat was brought and the server didnt even apologize. She seemed to be "in her own world". She forgot a side of rice for my daughter and made no effort to make the situation right. She wasnt rude, just like she was perhaps impaired. I would try again with hopes of much better service. If I see her coming, I'll leave.Special Features:
- Came here on a Friday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/19/2012Came here on a Friday night at 7:15 with my girlfriend. We had a 15 for 30 groupon so we took advantage of that. She had the fajitas and I had the steak de fuego. Mine was extremely spicey, even though I am a lover of hot foods. Hers was good and the portion was large with plenty leftover. We sat upstairs in the loft which was nice. Our waiter was friendly but had a lot of tables and seemed to be struggling to keep up. Overall it was a nice atmosphere with decent food.