Blu Seafood and Bar
2002 Hillsborough Road
Durham, NC 27705Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Blu Seafood and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bluseafoodandbar.com/
- Phone: 9192869777x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am – 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Tim Lyons
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Blu custom catering and events offers our guests an unparalleled experience with unlimited cuisine. Choose from one of our many catering menus to fit the atmosphere you are hoping to achieve at your event, or customize one of your own with our extremely talented culinary team. There are no bounds to what we can do, and the only limit is the imagination. Contact us at 919.286.9777 or at email@example.com for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Please consider us for your next special occasion; Private Parties,
Graduations, Parents Weekend, Weddings and Special Events.
- Private Party Contact: Adam Greene 9192869777x
- Special Events: We feature themed monthly wine dinners on the middle Wednesday of each month. Four courses of food, fun, and fine wine for only $50.
A word from Blu Seafood and Bar
Blu Seafood and Bar is upscale, casual seafood with innovative regional classics. In other words, our place is comfortable with great food, some local, some global, but always fresh. Stop in and enjoy one of our specialty cocktails at the bar, a delicious meal on the outdoor or indoor patios, or great conversation in our outdoor lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Blu Seafood and Bar - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Blu Seafood and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (55)neighborhood gem (42)special occasion (29)good for groups (14)notable wine list (12)romantic (11)great for lunch (7)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Good food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/25/2014We venture around the RDU area for new dining experiences, and Blu was worth the drive from Wake Forest. The food was very good and our server was excellent.Special Features:
- CalamariOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014Maybe the best calamari ever. moderately overpriced. They do seafood well, and that cost a little more.Special Features:
- no longer the gem it once wasoysterloverDined on 10/24/2014Don't expect the staff to be accommodating with requests to make your dinner special. We arrived at 6 pm on a Friday with a reservation for two. The table we were directed to wasn't optimal, and we asked to be moved. The restaurant was empty. The maitre d made us wait standing and then told us that unfortunately all of the tables were reserved and we would need to take our assigned table. When we asked why, we were told all tables are reserved to ensure maximal occupancy and they were very busy with Duke Parents' weekend. We stayed, had dinner, and left at 7:10. The restaurant was 1/3 full then, and most tables were still unoccupied, including several we had asked to be seated at. Wine by the glass is overpriced and underserved.
- Wonderful!KenwoodVIPDined on 10/20/2014What a nice surprise! We were in town on business and wanted seafood. We picked it from the list and were delighted we did! The salmon was perfect and our associate said the same was true for the shrimp and grits. YUM.Special Features:
- Excellent except...FinkDined on 10/18/2014...for Cuban stew. Otherwise- Fish was very fresh! Oyster on the shell had good varieties and are all tasty.Special Features:
- Love this restaurantSuzuDined on 10/18/2014Food is consistently very good. I especially enjoy the shrimp and grits. This time I first had the green salad with croutons (there was only one crouton!) and the organic salmon entre. The salmon was cooked exactly as I requested and the vegetables accompanying were very, very good. Service was another matter: I went with two companions and we all agreed that the waitress treated us/our table as an afterthought. Not the usual experience for us at this place.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceMikeDined on 10/18/2014First timer to the restaurant. Thought the food was excellent, especially the Calamari appetizer. Some of the best I have had. Was disappointed they ran out of the daily catch but the Flounder dish I went with instead was very good. Seafood was very fresh. Portions are a little smaller then I would like for the price so it gets 4 stars but food quality was definitely a 5. All at the table indicated their meals were excellent as well. Definite keeper and we will return again soon.Special Features:
- Seafood done right!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Excellent selection of oysters and fresh fish all well prepared and delicious!Special Features:
- a really good placemsjudyVIPDined on 10/14/2014We travel to Duke Hospital several times per year, and this has become our only consideration for lunch when in Durham. Excellent value for the price and very, very good seafood selections. The bread is superb, too! Service is OK, could be more personal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BLUE Seafood worksManhattanStrayDined on 10/11/2014Occasionally, you walk into a restaurant and your feel a sense of hush and coordination from the moment you walk into the door to the minute you are in your car driving home. Blue is such a place. The food is excellent. I had fresh NC Trout with a Dijon/hickory scented sauce. My husband had the whole fish, Sea Bass which was good. His Beef cappacio was extraordinary. The main element that impressed us was the coherence of the experience. Sadly is this coordination is not very common down here in the Triangle. Food may be excellent but the timing of the meal may be awkward. When the experience flows smoothly the entire meal is uplifting and relaxing. Great food. Very strong marks for smooth teamwork. Bravo.Special Features:
- Blu Seafood accommodatesGDFEaterDined on 10/3/2014I love the foood and the service, but I return over and over because they are willing to discuss whether dishes contain particular ingredients I must avoid, and adapt when possible or guide me to another choice. My friend and I have several food sensitivities each, and we were able to work out dishes that were safe, tasty, and satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- But we'll be back!lillipaloozaDined on 10/3/2014The restaurant has a friendly, charming ambiance and the oysters were excellent as were their signature cocktails. It's a tad pricey for the food and portion size however.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014We had a wonderful patio dining experience. The food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Those Shrimp and Grits!JLH8588Dined on 9/26/2014Brought 3 friends to this wonderful Durham restaurant for seafood. Service was very friendly, food was good, and my friends thought it was great. Will return again and again!Special Features:
- Definitely worth going backnckitkatDined on 9/20/2014This was not our first trip to Blu, we came because it was good enough to come back (high marks for us). The lobster mac and cheese is delicious, and we also got gazpacho, also very good. shared the Mahi, and I will have to say, even the green beans (which I don't usually like) were very good. The service was particularly good: there was a cocktail that I had at another restaurant about a year ago that I really liked, and I told the waitress about it. The bartender was able to make one, from my description, that tasted just like it. Great service, great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!JazzyDined on 9/20/2014We always go to Blu for an early dinner before an event at DPAC. The service is wonderful! The food is always great! They make us feel at home, comfortable, not rushed but to the play on time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd trip -continue to be inmpressedFuquayTravelerDined on 9/19/2014This was our 3rd visit to Blu and we were again not disappointed. Smaller and friendly, the menu has something for everyone, moderately priced, and excellently prepared. Not knowing Durham that well, when we attend DPAC and have the time, this is becoming our choice. Nice change of pace from the chains and bar food places. Might not look like much but definitely worth it.Special Features:
- Good, not as good as I had hopedAnglejonesDined on 9/17/2014Cute place, nice atmosphere, very polite staff and good menu choices. I ordered the salmon and it was cooked well, had a bit too much feta, but not a problem. My husband ordered the shrimp and grits and it was quite greasy; a 6 at best. Bread and salads were good and the food was served in a timely manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DPAC RecommendedCaniacLadyVIPDined on 9/17/2014We dined at Blu on the recommendation of the DPAC website. The NC Trout & kale salad were superb! We chose Blu based on their claim: Our well-trained staff will be happy to... get you to the show on time. Present your ticket... to your server for a 10% on dinner. We told our server that we were going to the play & needed to leave no later than 7:00 (it was 6:00 then). We also confirmed their offer of 10% off. At 6:45 we were still waiting for our main dish. Plus,our server had not checked back with us since we'd place our order. We had to flag down our server to get our check & remind her of the 10% off. By the time we got to the DPAC, we were RUNNING to get to our seats just as the show started. Disappointing service/great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My New Favorite Resteraunt!BDAZDined on 9/9/2014A Mojito to die for! Keith the bartender is a star! The oysters..the oysters! The food was fresh, perfectly cooked and excellent presentation. Even the bread was wonderful. The service lost a star...they forgot to bring more butter. The place may have had a lower noise lever but there was a woman, possibly in nursing, at the table next to us that thought everything she had to say was extremely important for the rest of us to hear. Wine list was a bit expensive for a Tuesday though well suited for the cuisine featuring many French varietals, so opted for the mixed drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our second visitMarcusAureliusDined on 9/6/2014The food is delicious and innovative. And we will come back for more.....Special Features:
- Worth a return visitNclarryDined on 9/5/2014Server was excellent. 3 of 4 entrees were as well. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experiencemrisjDined on 8/30/2014I have been to Blu Seafood many times over the last several years. The quality seems to wax and wane in terms of the strength of cuisine and service and I stopped going to Blu almost 2 years ago because the service had become unattentive and very slow and the food subpar. Today, I am happy to say that both the food and service are very excellent. We had the tuna tartare, Carolina mountain trout, the snapper special, and the raspberry chocolate were all superb. Our server was very knowledgable and patient. Overall, this was a very welcome change of pace from our previous experiences and we are very happy that Blu is back to its old quality again.Special Features:
- Truly outstandingmollymDined on 8/30/2014We didn't know much about Blu when we went. We just needed a nice place to take family that was visiting. Blu fed us one of the best meals we've had in a number of years. The meal ended up being the highlight of our family's trip. We especially recommend the trout and the calamari. The desserts are definitely far worth the calories as well. The sweet potato flan was especially a standout. We deeply appreciate the restaurant's commitment to only serving sustainably sourced seafood. Ask your server to explain what organic salmon is. Fascinating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak in a seafood restaurantsgalvin15Dined on 8/29/2014The cocktail menu was interesting and they had a nice wine selection. The appetizers were delicious and creative. The strip streak with chimichurri was amazing. My wife had the trout trout and said it was delicious. Very large portion, she could finish it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great freah seafoodDBZ1972Dined on 8/27/2014The food was great. The menu is small but that's why it's so good. They stick to what the know and do an outstanding job in what they do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbaraDined on 8/21/2014Food was excellent. Fresh and very well presented.Special Features:
- deltaDined on 8/21/2014Have eaten here many times and always find the food quite good.Special Features:
- Try the calamari!BillieDined on 8/20/2014The calamari is really good. It is served with a vinegary slaw that sets off the tenderness of the dish. My dinner companion's fish was excellent. Mine was a little overdone although it was still flavorful. The service was friendly and informative, but not overbearing. If my fish had been properly cooked, I would have given this restaurant 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencejaybee100Dined on 8/13/2014This was my second time dining at Blu Seafood. Great food, great service!Special Features:
- Blu SeafoodHappyDinerDined on 7/25/2014Another great experience at Blu. Each time we go to Blu Seafood, we go with different friends to introduce them to this wonderful place. I have gotten different fish each time and am always happy with my meal. The whitefish this last time was amazing!!! Flaky and tender and the chef actually used enough spice to allow the flavors of the fish to come through and not overpower, but also not bland. The risotto and veggies were so beautiful to look at, let alone taste. I almost wanted to make a meal of just that. This was about our fourth or fifth time at this restaurant, and it certainly will not be our last.Special Features:
- Lobster a huge disappointmentdinersIIDined on 7/24/2014If there's any restaurant that we'd expect to have fresh, well-prepared Maine lobster in the Triangle area, it's Blu Seafood, which normally is unsurpassed in seafood freshness and preparation. Alas, the lobster we were served on one of the restaurant's special lobster nights was so tough as to be nearly inedible, and apparently had been seriously overcooked. Our server offered to bring us a newly prepared lobsters, but we declined. We figured that the chef should have known better, and if not, we didn't want to be in a position of having new lobsters brought out only to have to reject them again. Frankly, we've had better lobster steamed by a grocery store in Columbus, Ohio, which is even farther from Maine and hardly a seafood Mecca.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kathiaDined on 7/24/2014The atmosphere, the ambiance, and service were great! We arrived 1 hour prior to our reservation and they sat us right away. The food however was a little bland both for myself and my friend. We both ordered from the small plates which were sizable and filling. I ordered the fish cakes and she had the lamb. But we loved it and the live jazz band and will certainly return for dinner.Special Features:
- Best service in a restaurantBobinMassDined on 7/22/2014OK...if you go on a Monday or Tuesday, the oysters are inexpensive and huge. $10 for an Appalachicola dozen. My date had the gazapcho, which was too spicy for her, but her entree of the trout was very good. And she raved about the lemon goat cheesew/ raspberry dessert. It would be nice if they had some normal beers on the menu. Not everyone is into over hopped craft brews. But again, my date loved the Pierre Larousse wine! The waitress was the best...informative, friendly and fast. And the bus people were quick and professional.Special Features:
- Nice but 6 out of 10RaleighvisitorDined on 7/21/2014I would not rush back. Service fine, food imaginative but not hot at least for almost half of our 7-person table. Flickering lights not reassuring.Special Features:
- Unique menuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Went to Blu for dinner for the first time last weekend with family (3 of us). We had the salmon, steak and shrimp/grits. All of us were happy with our food. Two of us had the kale salad (yumm) and one had the hearts of romaine salad. We'd go back again.Special Features:
- Good for Fresh Fish Well PreparedThirdTimeDined on 7/18/2014Fresh fish is the feature of the house and is done well, particularly the grilled whole fish. The wait staff seems a bit preoccupied with themselves or their fellow servers, but they eventually see you and respond. This is not a place for a quiet conversation, as the low ceiling in the front room amplifies the sounds of the guests and kitchen and tvs. But the fresh fish draws you back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exactly what we wantedPhildradesDined on 7/16/2014Sometimes you go out for dinner and are so pleased that you can't decide what dish was the best. That was our experience at Blu. We started off with tuna tartare and my wife had the fried oysters. Both were prepared perfectly and the presentation was spot on. We then had the romaine and mixed greens salads. The bleu cheese on the romaine was delicious. We then finished with the diver scallops and the shrimp and grits. The scallops were the best scallops I have ever tasted, and the shrimp and grits were equally amazing. The waitress was very welcoming and knowledgeable. For someone who doesn't get many date nights away from the kids, it's always a delight when we discover a place that provides great food from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!frequenttravelerVIPDined on 7/10/2014We were only in town for a night and wanted to check out something "local". Boy did we find gold! Everything from the cocktails to the dessert were above expectations. The calamari was delicious. We had the catch of the day (swordfish I think) and the Shrimp and grits, both excellent. Then on to dessert- the coconut crisp cookies filled with lemon goat cheese and raspberry coulis.... a perfect ending. I would send anyone here. If you're not familiar with the area, the parking can be tricky.Special Features:
- Gluten free friendly.KntgDined on 7/9/2014It was nice to find a local restaurant that has both outstanding food and gluten free options.Special Features: