Blu Seafood and Bar
2002 Hillsborough Road
Durham, NC 27705Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Blu Seafood and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bluseafoodandbar.com/
- Phone: 9192869777x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am – 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Tim Lyons
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Blu custom catering and events offers our guests an unparalleled experience with unlimited cuisine. Choose from one of our many catering menus to fit the atmosphere you are hoping to achieve at your event, or customize one of your own with our extremely talented culinary team. There are no bounds to what we can do, and the only limit is the imagination. Contact us at 919.286.9777 or at email@example.com for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Please consider us for your next special occasion; Private Parties,
Graduations, Parents Weekend, Weddings and Special Events.
- Private Party Contact: Adam Greene 9192869777x
- Special Events: We feature themed monthly wine dinners on the middle Wednesday of each month. Four courses of food, fun, and fine wine for only $50.
A word from Blu Seafood and Bar
Blu Seafood and Bar is upscale, casual seafood with innovative regional classics. In other words, our place is comfortable with great food, some local, some global, but always fresh. Stop in and enjoy one of our specialty cocktails at the bar, a delicious meal on the outdoor or indoor patios, or great conversation in our outdoor lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Blu Seafood and Bar - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Blu Seafood and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (61)neighborhood gem (50)special occasion (38)romantic (20)notable wine list (17)good for groups (15)great for outdoor dining (6)great for lunch (6)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014We had a wonderful patio dining experience. The food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Those Shrimp and Grits!JLH8588Dined on 9/26/2014Brought 3 friends to this wonderful Durham restaurant for seafood. Service was very friendly, food was good, and my friends thought it was great. Will return again and again!Special Features:
- Definitely worth going backnckitkatDined on 9/20/2014This was not our first trip to Blu, we came because it was good enough to come back (high marks for us). The lobster mac and cheese is delicious, and we also got gazpacho, also very good. shared the Mahi, and I will have to say, even the green beans (which I don't usually like) were very good. The service was particularly good: there was a cocktail that I had at another restaurant about a year ago that I really liked, and I told the waitress about it. The bartender was able to make one, from my description, that tasted just like it. Great service, great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!JazzyDined on 9/20/2014We always go to Blu for an early dinner before an event at DPAC. The service is wonderful! The food is always great! They make us feel at home, comfortable, not rushed but to the play on time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd trip -continue to be inmpressedFuquayTravelerDined on 9/19/2014This was our 3rd visit to Blu and we were again not disappointed. Smaller and friendly, the menu has something for everyone, moderately priced, and excellently prepared. Not knowing Durham that well, when we attend DPAC and have the time, this is becoming our choice. Nice change of pace from the chains and bar food places. Might not look like much but definitely worth it.Special Features:
- Good, not as good as I had hopedAnglejonesDined on 9/17/2014Cute place, nice atmosphere, very polite staff and good menu choices. I ordered the salmon and it was cooked well, had a bit too much feta, but not a problem. My husband ordered the shrimp and grits and it was quite greasy; a 6 at best. Bread and salads were good and the food was served in a timely manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DPAC RecommendedCaniacLadyVIPDined on 9/17/2014We dined at Blu on the recommendation of the DPAC website. The NC Trout & kale salad were superb! We chose Blu based on their claim: Our well-trained staff will be happy to... get you to the show on time. Present your ticket... to your server for a 10% on dinner. We told our server that we were going to the play & needed to leave no later than 7:00 (it was 6:00 then). We also confirmed their offer of 10% off. At 6:45 we were still waiting for our main dish. Plus,our server had not checked back with us since we'd place our order. We had to flag down our server to get our check & remind her of the 10% off. By the time we got to the DPAC, we were RUNNING to get to our seats just as the show started. Disappointing service/great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My New Favorite Resteraunt!BDAZDined on 9/9/2014A Mojito to die for! Keith the bartender is a star! The oysters..the oysters! The food was fresh, perfectly cooked and excellent presentation. Even the bread was wonderful. The service lost a star...they forgot to bring more butter. The place may have had a lower noise lever but there was a woman, possibly in nursing, at the table next to us that thought everything she had to say was extremely important for the rest of us to hear. Wine list was a bit expensive for a Tuesday though well suited for the cuisine featuring many French varietals, so opted for the mixed drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our second visitMarcusAureliusDined on 9/6/2014The food is delicious and innovative. And we will come back for more.....Special Features:
- Worth a return visitNclarryDined on 9/5/2014Server was excellent. 3 of 4 entrees were as well. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experiencemrisjDined on 8/30/2014I have been to Blu Seafood many times over the last several years. The quality seems to wax and wane in terms of the strength of cuisine and service and I stopped going to Blu almost 2 years ago because the service had become unattentive and very slow and the food subpar. Today, I am happy to say that both the food and service are very excellent. We had the tuna tartare, Carolina mountain trout, the snapper special, and the raspberry chocolate were all superb. Our server was very knowledgable and patient. Overall, this was a very welcome change of pace from our previous experiences and we are very happy that Blu is back to its old quality again.Special Features:
- Truly outstandingmollymDined on 8/30/2014We didn't know much about Blu when we went. We just needed a nice place to take family that was visiting. Blu fed us one of the best meals we've had in a number of years. The meal ended up being the highlight of our family's trip. We especially recommend the trout and the calamari. The desserts are definitely far worth the calories as well. The sweet potato flan was especially a standout. We deeply appreciate the restaurant's commitment to only serving sustainably sourced seafood. Ask your server to explain what organic salmon is. Fascinating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak in a seafood restaurantsgalvin15Dined on 8/29/2014The cocktail menu was interesting and they had a nice wine selection. The appetizers were delicious and creative. The strip streak with chimichurri was amazing. My wife had the trout trout and said it was delicious. Very large portion, she could finish it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great freah seafoodDBZ1972Dined on 8/27/2014The food was great. The menu is small but that's why it's so good. They stick to what the know and do an outstanding job in what they do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbaraDined on 8/21/2014Food was excellent. Fresh and very well presented.Special Features:
- deltaDined on 8/21/2014Have eaten here many times and always find the food quite good.Special Features:
- Try the calamari!BillieDined on 8/20/2014The calamari is really good. It is served with a vinegary slaw that sets off the tenderness of the dish. My dinner companion's fish was excellent. Mine was a little overdone although it was still flavorful. The service was friendly and informative, but not overbearing. If my fish had been properly cooked, I would have given this restaurant 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencejaybee100Dined on 8/13/2014This was my second time dining at Blu Seafood. Great food, great service!Special Features:
- Blu SeafoodHappyDinerDined on 7/25/2014Another great experience at Blu. Each time we go to Blu Seafood, we go with different friends to introduce them to this wonderful place. I have gotten different fish each time and am always happy with my meal. The whitefish this last time was amazing!!! Flaky and tender and the chef actually used enough spice to allow the flavors of the fish to come through and not overpower, but also not bland. The risotto and veggies were so beautiful to look at, let alone taste. I almost wanted to make a meal of just that. This was about our fourth or fifth time at this restaurant, and it certainly will not be our last.Special Features:
- Lobster a huge disappointmentdinersIIDined on 7/24/2014If there's any restaurant that we'd expect to have fresh, well-prepared Maine lobster in the Triangle area, it's Blu Seafood, which normally is unsurpassed in seafood freshness and preparation. Alas, the lobster we were served on one of the restaurant's special lobster nights was so tough as to be nearly inedible, and apparently had been seriously overcooked. Our server offered to bring us a newly prepared lobsters, but we declined. We figured that the chef should have known better, and if not, we didn't want to be in a position of having new lobsters brought out only to have to reject them again. Frankly, we've had better lobster steamed by a grocery store in Columbus, Ohio, which is even farther from Maine and hardly a seafood Mecca.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kathiaDined on 7/24/2014The atmosphere, the ambiance, and service were great! We arrived 1 hour prior to our reservation and they sat us right away. The food however was a little bland both for myself and my friend. We both ordered from the small plates which were sizable and filling. I ordered the fish cakes and she had the lamb. But we loved it and the live jazz band and will certainly return for dinner.Special Features:
- Best service in a restaurantBobinMassDined on 7/22/2014OK...if you go on a Monday or Tuesday, the oysters are inexpensive and huge. $10 for an Appalachicola dozen. My date had the gazapcho, which was too spicy for her, but her entree of the trout was very good. And she raved about the lemon goat cheesew/ raspberry dessert. It would be nice if they had some normal beers on the menu. Not everyone is into over hopped craft brews. But again, my date loved the Pierre Larousse wine! The waitress was the best...informative, friendly and fast. And the bus people were quick and professional.Special Features:
- Nice but 6 out of 10RaleighvisitorDined on 7/21/2014I would not rush back. Service fine, food imaginative but not hot at least for almost half of our 7-person table. Flickering lights not reassuring.Special Features:
- Unique menuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Went to Blu for dinner for the first time last weekend with family (3 of us). We had the salmon, steak and shrimp/grits. All of us were happy with our food. Two of us had the kale salad (yumm) and one had the hearts of romaine salad. We'd go back again.Special Features:
- Good for Fresh Fish Well PreparedThirdTimeDined on 7/18/2014Fresh fish is the feature of the house and is done well, particularly the grilled whole fish. The wait staff seems a bit preoccupied with themselves or their fellow servers, but they eventually see you and respond. This is not a place for a quiet conversation, as the low ceiling in the front room amplifies the sounds of the guests and kitchen and tvs. But the fresh fish draws you back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exactly what we wantedPhildradesDined on 7/16/2014Sometimes you go out for dinner and are so pleased that you can't decide what dish was the best. That was our experience at Blu. We started off with tuna tartare and my wife had the fried oysters. Both were prepared perfectly and the presentation was spot on. We then had the romaine and mixed greens salads. The bleu cheese on the romaine was delicious. We then finished with the diver scallops and the shrimp and grits. The scallops were the best scallops I have ever tasted, and the shrimp and grits were equally amazing. The waitress was very welcoming and knowledgeable. For someone who doesn't get many date nights away from the kids, it's always a delight when we discover a place that provides great food from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!frequenttravelerVIPDined on 7/10/2014We were only in town for a night and wanted to check out something "local". Boy did we find gold! Everything from the cocktails to the dessert were above expectations. The calamari was delicious. We had the catch of the day (swordfish I think) and the Shrimp and grits, both excellent. Then on to dessert- the coconut crisp cookies filled with lemon goat cheese and raspberry coulis.... a perfect ending. I would send anyone here. If you're not familiar with the area, the parking can be tricky.Special Features:
- Gluten free friendly.KntgDined on 7/9/2014It was nice to find a local restaurant that has both outstanding food and gluten free options.Special Features:
- Good food, noisy and hotGailDined on 7/8/2014We've dined here many times primarily b/c of the oysters...so delicious. Eating in the garden room is fine most of the year but during the summer it is a bit too warm. Otherwise, terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual but classy.GeekGrandmaDined on 6/28/2014Excellent food and service. The trout he had was better than he had had in the mountains a few weeks ago. Shrimp and scallops done to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No next timeTastebudsDined on 6/27/2014The server was very attentive; however the overall food & ambience was for us, a down fall. We had gone there because of future guests that will be coming to town & I'm glad we experienced it first. The staff is worth going back for maybe a cocktail.
- MarcusAureliusDined on 6/20/2014I have heard nothing but positive recommendations from others about Blu, but the food exceeded all of my expectations. Best Tuna Tartare that I have ever had.Special Features:
- Best seafood in DurhamLocalLoverDined on 6/19/2014The service is professional and knowledgeable. Excellent pairing recommendations. The food portions were generous, and the plates were presented beautifully. The flavors were excellent. High-point of the meal was the freshwater oysters. Only (very minor) downside of this place is the confusing parking situation, but once you realize that you won't be parking out front, not a problem.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceTLindbergDined on 6/14/2014Unbelievable food in NC where I was visiting for a short period of time and will definitely be returning. Creative food ideas put to work perfectly the food is great and the drink menu is suiting for a five star restaurant that is priced at a bargain!Special Features:
- Okay, not greatLiv4foodVIPDined on 6/14/2014Our meal here was not remarkable. In truth, everything needed salt. But all fish was fresh so that was a plus.
- Still great!OzzykikiDined on 6/14/2014We come from Greensboro. Which is an hour away. Still one of our favorites when attending ADF or DPAC.Special Features:
- luncheve531Dined on 6/11/2014The calamari was too chewy and the romaine in the caesar salad was more spines than greens. Disappointed.
- SpectacularJazzgangDined on 6/6/2014We had never been to Blu before and went for special occasion. The food was fantastic, service spectacular and a unique wine list. Loved it and a great place for dinner and great seafood.Special Features:
- Consistently surprisingGDubVIPDined on 6/5/2014From the outside, you don't expect much but as you cross through the door you will be pleasantly surprised as the clean, crisp decor that Blu boasts. The staff is consistently at your service and was able to keep my glass full of water/beer, which is an accomplishment for most waiters and staff. They are trained on the drinks and food on the menu, which is also very nice given the vast assortment of choices on the menu and drink list. Any restaurant lives on the quality and consistency of their food, and Blu delivers. The seafood was cooked perfectly, and even the bread and butter complimented everything perfectly. I was skeptical but Blu not only met my expectations... they constantly exceeded them. We will be returning fairly soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb.jacnrhVIPDined on 6/4/2014I went with my boyfriend for restaurant week and it was just lovely. It's a bit dive-y looking on the outside (gravel parking lot), but the inside is quaint and charming. The pre-fixed menu had a great variety of selections and all of the food was wonderful. Portions were good; not too big or too small. I definitely left feeling full but not overstuffed. The key lime pie was absolutely outstanding, and service was wonderful as well. I really have no complaints.Special Features: