BLU Italian Grille
280 West Jefferson
Louisville, KY 40202Neighborhood:
Contemporary ItalianPrice: $30 and under
BLU Italian Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blugrille.com/
- Phone: 5026714285x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch:(Sunday Only) 10:30am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Mon-Fri: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Mon-Sat: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Bar/Lounge: Mon-Sat 4:00pm - 12:00am Sun 4:00pm - 10:00pm (limited menu on Sundays)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian
- Executive Chef: Graham Weber
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: BLU Italian Grille offers private space for up to 18 guests & semi-private space for up to 36 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Royston Green 502-671-4282x
- Entertainment: Entertainment Line Up:
Bourbon & Bluegrass Thursday - featuring Hickory Vaught and Friends with specials on all Jim Beam products
Sunday - Brunch, Bubbly & Jazz- Including House-made pastas and our Home-Grown table featuring the finest offerings within 100 miles. Also enjoy bottomless pours of champagne and mimosas
A word from BLU Italian Grille
BLU is an exciting concept in restaurant ambiance, combining contemporary twists on a well-selected Italian menu with an exhilarating atmosphere. Featuring Italian classics with a contemporary flare along with an exceptionally diverse wine list. BLU is more of a culinary vacation than a traditional restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
BLU Italian Grille - Best Restaurants in Downtown Louisville ›
BLU Italian Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (8)great for brunch (7)romantic (4)notable wine list (4)fit for foodies (2)kid-friendly (2)good for groups (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Nice spot for BrunchLouoriginalDined on 8/24/2014This was our second brunch visit. Blu has a wide choice of menu items and an excellent staff. Our waiter was attentive without being intrusive, and the rest of the staff was very professional. Nice background jazz combo on Sunday's as well. Good choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noteztoplz62Dined on 8/17/2014Omelet station was the best part of the brunch.The other options were mediocre at best.Special Features:
- Typical Hotel RestaurantBarryOTooleDined on 7/25/2014At 7:30pm, we were the only group there. A few others were there by the time we were leaving, about 10:00 PM. The food was neither fresh nor tasty. All in all, it wasn't a good or memorable experience. I won't go there again.
- Pass on itSpecialNight229VIPDined on 6/25/2014If would have known that it was a hotel restaurant I would not have gone there. Our waiter was very nice but the service was horrible . We were only one of 5 tables. There are so many other really good Italian restaurants to go to in Louisville. Food was ordinary :-(
- Father's Day BrunchLuv2brunchDined on 6/15/2014Father's Day brunch was a wonderful experience. Food was great. I especially loved the trio that played during brunch. Best Sunday brunch in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014I enjoyed brunch at Blu immensely. Loved the free mimosas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KathrynKathrynVIPDined on 6/1/2014Eat here often and always enjoy it. Food is excellent and servers are gracious and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new favoritedeedeeDined on 5/27/2014This was our first visit to BLU and we were very pleased to find a great new place to dine for us. Dinner is at times so rushed, that it is difficult to enjoy the meal. Our time here was very relaxing with plenty of time for conversation and listening to the live music. The food was outstanding and fresh. The house made ravioli was even better the next day. You must save room or take out dessert. The chocolate cake was one of the best we ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh….LouieFoodieVIPDined on 5/17/2014Was staying at the Marriott over a Saturday night and decided to just eat downstairs at Blu. I got the grilled salmon. A generous portion and cooked fine, but the sauce was way too salty and detracted from the fish. My date had the ravioli du jour - fairly tasteless…. Our server also failed to tell us about the specials. We overheard them from another server, but after we had already ordered! Also, the tables for two are so large that it feels like you're very far away from each other - not exactly an intimate, cozy date night setting…Many other better options nearby...
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014It was a nice place to take my mother for Mother's Day she really enjoyed it! I personally loved the jazz band it wasn't to loud it was just perfect! The desserts could of been better but after all that I ate I didn't really need it anyways!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 172 reviews are from the BLU Italian Grille reviews archive.
- I will return!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/27/2014Great experience! Beginning with the Marriott, the valet parking, the service, to the food.Special Features:
- Our group of 5 Loved ItOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2014We went while attending a convention and this restaurant was so convenient. They seated us promptly and the waitress brought a free appetizer from the chef and delicious bread as she could see we were hungry. The waitress informed us of the specials. I had the lobster bisque with shrimp and others had salad and calamari. Entrees and dessert were all delicious and when you order coffe they bring a small tray with a sugar stirring stick, peppermint, chocolate and half and half so you can add what you want. Sat at a round table and we were able to converse with each other easily.Special Features:
- First time's a charmOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014We had not eaten here before, but the food, elegance, and location made it perfect for Easter Brunch experience. Our family has a variety of different food preferences, and Blu accommodated all - from cutting board roast to fish to lobster ravioli at the pasta bar to the local salads and veggies table. It is a good thing we went hungry, because there were many choices, down to the exquisite desserts. We will go back again for sure.Special Features:
- BarsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/6/2014Pasta and omelets don't seem to go together, but here each has it's own bar. And each is fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Sunday brunch ! Best in lZenhabitsDined on 4/6/2014The food selection and quality was superb. The jazz band was a great accompaniment. Recommended for groups. Service was extraordinary ... The waitress anticipated all of our needs in the highest Marriott way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great find!Nic83Dined on 3/30/2014Who would have thought that you'd find a brunch this amazing tucked away at a hotel? There were I believe 6 different stations including an omelet bar, fresh fruit, meats & cheese, traditional breakfast, pasta and carving station, and dessert. It was all heavenly! The jazz was very nice too. Did I mention bottomless mimosas? We will be back!Special Features:
- BluFlashDined on 3/27/2014Nice place for special occasion located in downtown Marriott!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gourmet buffettcookingcopDined on 3/23/2014Food quality was well beyond what would be expected in a buffett. Service was phenomenal. Jazz band was entertaining without being overwhelming. Comp. Mimossa is always a good thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat elsewhereIHeartWineAndFoodDined on 3/18/2014The food was fine, nothing spectacular. By this I mean it all tastes ok but there lacked any real flavor. The cheesecake however was just plain bad. . .I'm not sure how you manage to serve a bland, tasteless cheesecake but this place does, do not order it. I've found some great local family run places (like DiFabio's) that serve much better food at much better prices. . .and I'd quite frankly rather pay more at one of those places than eat at BLU ever again. The service was ok until the end of the meal that is, at which point we were told the credit card machine is not working. We were told to pay cash or go outside to the ATM. I'd had it at that point and will not be going here again or recommending it! You'll be happier eating elsewhere!!
- Service was so so. My waterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2014Service was so so. My water glass remained empty after the 1st 10 minutes of being seated. My Makers on the rocks was no more than a 1 oz pour, the 2nd was a bit more. We ordered a 2nd round of drinks when we ordered dinner and they didn't come until we were half way finished dining. It's also pretty pricey which I don't mind if it's all great. Two entrees, 2 cocktails and 2 salads came to $125.00 with tip.
- Great Evening with Great FoodalaskamooseDined on 3/8/2014Excellent food I had spaghetti and meat ball (3 meat balls the size of baseballs. Probably 1/4 pound each) It was excellent. She had the Salmon cooked medium well and reported it excellent also. The only glitch we saw was that the server missed not getting to one ( a single) customer and he left without ordering just as the server approached him to take his order. Noise level was a little high coming from the family area but they were just having fun enjoying the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little understaffed but food worthOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/6/2014Was in town for national music teachers convention - hotel was full. Restaurant was crowded, but seemed like only a few servers were on duty. Nevertheless the food was wonderful and definitely worth the wait. From the anti pasta appetizer to dessert, it was all excellent. Waitress did her best in spite of having too many tables to cover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Full and HappyDinerDDined on 3/3/2014We dined off the restaurant week menu and were incredibly pleased. We dined later in the evening, and ended up staying after closing. Our waiter, Kory, was so pleasant and attentive not rushing us at all. For appetizers my girlfriend had the margherita flatbread and I had the calamari. Her flatbread was very good; my calamari, while decent, was nothing spectacular. While we waited for our apps, the chef sent over a special little treat for us which was absolutely delicious. Also their bread is to die for! For the main course, I had the chicken primavera and my girlfriend had the egglant rigatoni; we were both more than satisfied with our meals. I had the zeppoles for dessert and she had cannolis. Both were amazing! Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite place for date nighthdj1883Dined on 3/1/2014My fiance and I love this place when we are in need of a quiet night out. The atmosphere is relaxed, the service is always friendly, and we know the dessert chef so we always get a little something special.Special Features:
- Good italian FoodJohnRacineVIPDined on 3/1/2014I did not realize Blu was in the Marriott but was pleasantly surprised when I got there and saw it was. The food had a very fresh flavor but really needed some salt & pepper. The caesar salad was creamy and crisp but the cheese did not add enough salt. The fresh pasta was outstanding and the meatballs were huge. The tomato sauce had a fresh quality to ity which I enjoyed, but again, it desperately needed some salt & pepper. The zepole dessert was a grand slam. A light lemon undertone in the delicious pillowy donut was sublime. Just enough powdered sugar coated them and the chocolate dipping sauce brought it all together. All in all, a very good restaurant, just be sure to have the salt and pepper on the table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blu at the MariottGeorgeDined on 2/28/2014We had reservations for Friday at 7:00 PM and arrived about 15 minutes early. My wife and I were seated very shortly after our arrival. The staff were all cheerful and attentive. The waiter was very responsive and ready to answer any questions we had, while we waited on our food. We both enjoyed sipping on a bottle of wine at 25% off the regular price and savored the taste of a delightful muse. The food was fresh, hot and fantastic, although we did not have a desert they were proudly displayed before us on a platter and they all looked fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Valentine's Date!BethaneyDined on 2/15/2014The Four-Course Valentine's Menu was delicious! We had the Potato Gnocci with Cheddar, Panchetta, and Broccoli for the first course, which was our favorite and amazing when you dipped their out-of-this-world focaccia bread into the sauce! The salad was very tasty and I was in love with the dressing and edible rose petals. The Bronzed Salmon was good, but could have been cooked just a bit longer. The dessert had a dark chocolate raspberry selection, along with a deconstructed tiramisu, with the coffee cream in the spoon and the lady fingers on the side. I also received a rose at the end of the meal! Overall, we both had a great time and will definitely return when my boyfriend moves to Louisville, as we both live in Lexington currently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedWaxedBrainDined on 2/14/2014I went to Blu with my wife for Valentines dinner. I read a lot of reviews, and everything about Blu seemed positive. Unfortunately my wife and I were both very underwhelmed. The night started with problems parking because you were forced to valet and they were apparently understaffed to handle the business for the night. We then placed orders from the 4-course price fix menu and added a fried calamari appetizer. The calamari tasted like it was cooked in old oil or overcooked at the least. The ravioli appetizer from the price fix menu and soup / salad we ordered were quite good. Our entrees were lacking real flavor. My wife had the salmon and it was dry. I had the fillet and it was overly charred and the exterior tasted like charcoal.
- Blu Italian GrillPinkoleanderDined on 2/14/2014This was our first time at Blu. We went for Valentines Day and we were quite pleased. We chose the special Valentines menu. The gnocchi was to die for! And the filet was like butter! We recommend and will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Pre Theater DinneralaskamooseDined on 1/24/2014Excellent place to go before the theater or a concert. They will get you served and out on time and even warn you of the time if you ask them to. Unless you are SUPER hungry, the portions are more than you can eat and still have room for the delicious desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- downtown hotel restaurant....verylove4foodDined on 1/18/2014downtown hotel restaurant....very good food interesting menu....plenty of tables for big groupsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved This PlacehulkDined on 1/17/2014This restaurant went above and beyond. They treated us so nice and the food was great I want to thank the manager and my server for all there help. The food was great and will be back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was really cold in theAlyssaVIPDined on 1/17/2014It was really cold in the restaurant because it sits right inside the hotel. Every time someone opened the doors, a breeze went through the restaurant. The service was excellent and the food was pretty good.Special Features:
- TerribleJosephVIPDined on 12/31/2013The restaurant was surprisingly less than half full on New Year's Eve. We were greeted by our server promptly who took our drink order. Drinks were served promptly. She proceed to take our food order where our table of 6 each ordered a salad and entrée. This was the last time we saw our server for over an hour. Salads arrived and enjoyed. Cocktails had been consumed for some time, however water was being refilled promptly. After asking where our server and dinner was 3 times, finally at 10:45 our dinner and server present themselves. Ravenous at this point we dove into what was an all around terrible meal. Steaks were well done, scallops and lobster were worse than chewing a rubber tire. There was really no fixing this experience.
- 2nd time - Not as good as the firstOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/20132nd time eating at Blu for Blu/Marriott's New Years Eve Special. First time, was outstanding. This time service was SLOW. we were there for 2 hours! 4 of us ordered the NYE special ($65/person minimum). Appetizer came out quickly. 2nd course (a salad) took 45 minutes. The salad was basic. special cheese, cabbage-y stuff . Main course came out quickly after the salad ~20 min. Steak: perfect. lobster tail: had little lobster in it We got the desert course to go, since we had been there for 2 hours and didn't want to miss any NYE festivities Waiter was friendly, but it appeared that he was the only one in our half of the restaurant. For the price paid, we should not have had to have sit there for 2 hours. Won't do this NYE night again.Special Features:
- Jazzy brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/22/2013The Sunday jazz brunch was delicious. The food was great, be sure to get a fresh made omelet! The service was awesome too. All staff were friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- simply the bestdenisewDined on 12/15/2013The brunch at Blu is certainly the best in the city - food is exceptional and great variety - service is just wonderful. There's no reason to go anywhere else. Trina is the best server EVER.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tastyyummyfood2Dined on 12/10/2013My and my girlfriend visited on a Tuesday night. It wasn't too crowded, so we were sat immediately. The server was great, very helpful and kind. The food was outstanding. What more can I say? Oh, they have a huge wine selection, but not much craft beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Dining ExperienceDianeDined on 12/7/2013Although our server, Cory, told us it was only his 4th day - you'd never know it! He was wonderful! And the food was really incredible! The chef sent out a tasty morsel just for starters, we ordered the bruschetta and caprese salad (the bruschetta presentation was really unique and delicious) and then the chicken parm and spaghetti/meatballs. Both servings were HUGE! In fact, that's probably my only complaint. At an upscale restaurant like that I don't think the portions need to be that big. But a lot of people would appreciate it. The next time, however, we'll split either the caprese or the bruschetta and an entree. Delicious! Way too much food, fabulous service and gorgeous atmosphere - especially in front of the fire!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marriott LobbyHomerDined on 11/16/2013For a hotel restaurant the BLU Italian Grille is a very good experience. The dishes were all very creative and flavorful. We enjoyed the squash bisque, ravioli appetizers, and pistachio crusted chicken. Two different risotto offerings were both very good. Plenty of food and a good wine list left no room to try dessert.Special Features: