4 Avery Street
Boston, MA 02111Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.blurestaurant.com/
- Phone: (617) 375-8550
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:00pm (Lunch) Monday - Thursday 5pm - 10:00pm (Dinner) Friday and Saturday 5pm - 10:30pm (Dinner)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kathleen Smith
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: blu to You Catering now available for business or personal events. View our catering menu online or contact, Director of Catering at 617.842.3199 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Delivery available upon location.
- Special Events: blu Restaurant and Bar is the perfect setting for private events. Host your wedding, rehersal dinner, holiday party, corporate event, business meeting or personal celebration in the warmth of our intimate restaurant. Whether you are dreaming of an intimate wedding or an elaborate evening reception, blu will help you design a personalized and unforgettable experience. Please contact the Special Events Manager at 617.842.3199 or email@example.com
A word from Blu
blu Restaurant and Bar allows you to take in sky-high views while dining on seasonal menus from Executive Chef Kathleen Smith. Feast on Chef Smith's creations for either lunch or dinner while enjoying the view from blu's bar area or dining room. Located on the 4th Floor at The Sports Club/LA, blu is a perfect venue for a pre-theater dinner, special occasions, or hosting an event.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blu reviews from OpenTable diners
- Three of us went for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/20/2008Three of us went for dinner before the theater on a girls' night out. We thoroughly enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. I would definitely go there again.Special Features:
- The food when it finally came,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/18/2008The food when it finally came, was good. Our side order never did arrive. We were hungry when it came, having been at our table for almost an hour without even so much as a piece of bread. The waiter was polite on his rare visit, but was of little help and checked back infrequently.
- Food was good though our partyOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 12/12/2008Food was good though our party was divided on this. Wines on the "by the glass" were not available when requested (that's a big negative for me). We were going to the theater and our waitperson was cognizant of this though I felt it was managed rather closely (particularly, given that the restaurant was not overly busy). Overall, I'd like to return to see if the minor issues were consistent or ephemeral.
- Portions were a tad too smallOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/21/2008Portions were a tad too small for the prices. You definitely won't be full when you leave.Special Features:
- Overall a very enjoyable evening.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/14/2008Overall a very enjoyable evening. The service was attentive (not always the case)and the food very enjoyable. The lobster risotto was delicious.
- This was our second time atOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/14/2008This was our second time at blu -- both times we had a very enjoyable pre-opera dinner with some friends.
- I ordered a steak. It wasOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 10/30/2008I ordered a steak. It was a poor cut and the fries were greasy and cold. For these prices, they should do better.
- I met a friend for lunch atOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/29/2008I met a friend for lunch at Blu. I've been in the past and noticed that the menu seemed a bit smaller. I had the seasonal greens with chicken. It was ok but nothing special. My friend had the Caesar salad with chicken - again ok but nothing special. For the price, you could go somewhere else and get a much better meal. The waiter we had was not very good. It was a weekday lunch where I would expect the waitstaff to know that we needed to get back to work. We sat for about 10 minutes before he came to ask for a drink order. Then when we were done we had to ask for the check twice. It was ok but I wouldn't hurry back.
- Decent but not excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 10/3/2008Decent but not excellent food (the french fries were limp, cold and slimy), pleasant wait staff, good view, jumping bar (out of range of the dining room). Not wildly expensive.
- The best lobster sandwichOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/5/2008The best lobster sandwich in town but ask for the bread to only be lightly toasted or the crust will cut your mouth. Service on the last visit was borederling horrendously slow. We were there for lunch and it took 90 minutes for two sandwiches. Not acceptable.
- I had dinner at blu at 7:00OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2008I had dinner at blu at 7:00 on a Saturday evening. It wasn't too busy, and my husband and I got to chose any table we wanted--inside or outdoors on the patio. Inside, the temperature was a bit chilly, but it was nice and quiet, and a great spot to have a conversation without having to yell. The architecture of the building was interesting and the floor to ceiling windows left for a nice night view of Boston. The wait staff was responsive, but not too overbearing. Overall, a positive experience with good food.Special Features:
- we have celebrated our son'sOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/8/2008we have celebrated our son's 17th, 18th, and now 19th birthday at blu. it is a family tradition with a little bit of " kool" added in. Marianne Dornfeld NewtonSpecial Features:
- The food was good, but theOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/31/2008The food was good, but the dessert was a disaster. Our waiter recommended to order their specail of the day, which was an apple creme brulee. It sounded wonderful so we ordered it. It came with a nice presentation. Just when you dig into the creme brulee, it was very liquidy, like it was uncooked. We showed it to a waitress and she agreed that it wasn't cooked. It was returned and our dinner ended with a low point. It took a very long time to get either one of the waiter or waitresses to get our bill at the end. Another note, they were passing around samples from the chef to all the tables. We were wondering why they kept skipping our table. I even asked the waitress if you had to order the samplers and she said no, it was free.Special Features:
- I was a little disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/16/2008I was a little disappointed to be seated in the cafe and not the main dining room like I had expected.Special Features:
- When we arrived, the roomOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/15/2008When we arrived, the room was a bit warm because of the sun; however, once the sun advanced it was not so bad. May need to up the AC during sunny periods of the day.Special Features:
- We went for lunch. The lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/9/2008We went for lunch. The lunch menu was VERY limited only a few choices. I would not go back.Special Features:
- Nice meal and not too expensive.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/21/2008Nice meal and not too expensive. Small menu but good choices and all food was well cooked.Special Features:
- The Mozzarella Sticks appetizerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/19/2008The Mozzarella Sticks appetizer is incredible! You get four and each one is the size of an egg roll! The Lobster PLT sandwich was equally incredible. Lots of meat and excellent taste quality.Special Features:
- The food was good, but notOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2008The food was good, but not memorable, the service was fast and friendly, the atmosphere very pleasant and the view was great - I guess the combination was worth $60 per person for a glass of white wine, an appetizer, an entree and coffee).Special Features:
- The striped bass entree wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/31/2008The striped bass entree was skimpy, although very flavorful. The argula salad was fantastic.Special Features:
- We needed to make a strict,OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/31/2008We needed to make a strict, no-latecomers-admitted curtain and our waitress had us out of there with time to spare, without ever making us feel rushed. This was in contrast to previous experiences, when dessert has come so slowly that we had to run to the theatre, so we were especially pleased.Special Features:
- Lovely space all but ruinedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/30/2008Lovely space all but ruined by terrible acoustics which made conversation across the table impossible without a walkie-talkie.
- We had a great meal. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/24/2008We had a great meal. The pace was great so we could enjoy the company of our out of town guests. However, the service was less than I would expect. Water glasses unfilled. Utensils not replaced after different courses. Could have been more attentive. We had a very private table in the round which was great for conversation and catching up.
- Terrific in every way. WaiterOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/10/2008Terrific in every way. Waiter was aware we were going to the theater and presented food in leisrely manner that still got us to our seats in time and with no rush.Special Features:
- Service was pleasant but slow;OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/9/2008Service was pleasant but slow; not good for people trying to have a nice business lunch on a tight work schedule. Atmosphere and decor great; food above average.Special Features:
- will be great for outdoorOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/7/2008will be great for outdoor dining - patio was not yet open! while service was adequate, they were not particularly attentive, no refills on the water were offered, took a while for the bartender to come to take our order, etc. Lobster roll was good, would have been better if they used less of the condiment -- a spicy mayo. less is better!Special Features:
- An excellent meal with wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/3/2008An excellent meal with wonderful service. We were late getting to the restaurant and were on our way to see a show afterwards and they did everything they could to get us out of there on time. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- This was our fifth or sixthOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/2/2008This was our fifth or sixth visit. The friends we brought this time said "How did you find this place, this is great, especially before the theater". We originally came to blu through Handel & Haydn Society, which had used the restaurant for an after-concert function that we attended. And we've kept coming back. Food was great, and the service was friendly, attentive and excellent. Great spot for a pre-theater dinner (and we came back for dessert afterwards, too)Special Features:
- Food and service were bothOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/29/2008Food and service were both good, although the lunch menu is very limited.
- nothing outstanding but ourOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/25/2008nothing outstanding but our waiter was wonderful and it was quiet. A little expensive for what it is.Special Features:
- Although you have to walkOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/19/2008Although you have to walk through the cafeteria at the Sports Club LA to get to Blu, the room is lovely. Floor-to-ceiling glass windows almost make you feel like you're dining alfresco. The menu is full of simple preparations, with fresh ingredients. All four of us were pleased with everything we ordered, which is unusual. The wine list is a bit limited. All in all, a winning combination.Special Features:
- Menu is diverse....Chef isOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/11/2008Menu is diverse....Chef is very innovative...never disappointing.Special Features:
- Would have liked a seat byOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/5/2008Would have liked a seat by the window or a booth, but everything else was just lovely. Would definitely recommend it, especially since they validate parking in the Ritz lot. That's a big savings!Special Features:
- we were delight with the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2008we were delight with the service we received and each food item was prepared to perfection - we will definitely go back again - the beet ravioli was yummy - Pork shank was moist and tasty - there were 4 of us for dinner and all four of us were impressed with the entire experience -Special Features:
- We really enjoyed ourselves.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/29/2008We really enjoyed ourselves. The specialty cocktails and food were unique and well executed, and the portions were just right (We had thought that perhaps, given the restaurant's location and affiliation with LA Sports Club, that we might experience the 'two peas on a plate' syndrome we've seen elsewhere, but were pleasantly surprised.) We'll definitely be back, and have already recommended Blu to several friends as a special occasion restaurant with a gorgeous view, or for those with more expendable capital, just a really pleasant meal out on the town :)Special Features:
- extremely comfortable chairs,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/29/2008extremely comfortable chairs, eclectic menu, great tastes, needs to face more chairs towards the view :)Special Features:
- I had a wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/21/2008I had a wonderful experience at blu. My daughter and I will visit again at another time. The only issue is parking, but you do offer valet. However, it was a cold and windy night when we visited and we had to wait outside in order for the valet to get my car. Would it be possible, in the future, to hand my ticket to my server a few minutes before I leave so he/she can call to have the car waiting?Special Features:
- We ordered an order of theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/20/2008We ordered an order of the polenta fries for the whole table and we could not get enough!! The whole table agreed that the food was good and a nice diversion from the same menu items that you see everywhere. It is a weird location at the L.A. sports club but we will definately go back.Special Features:
- We went for restaurant week.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/20/2008We went for restaurant week. They only had 2 options per course. The food was good, but certainly did not live up to the high hopes we had for it. Our view looked out at an old office building and a parking lot. It's a little weird that it's on the same floor as a gym- people getting on the elevator in sweaty workout gear wasn't the best way to start the evening. The presentation was very nice and the waitstaff quite courteous.Special Features:
- This was not my first timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/20/2008This was not my first time at blu. It was a quiet night with few diners or people at the bar. The food and service were very good and the view of downtown buildings, including the Custom House and its clock, were quite nice. It's a casual but upscale restaurant and is a good place to go for lunch or dinner (don't know if they serve brunch). I would recommend it to others.Special Features: