4 Avery Street
Boston, MA 02111Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.blurestaurant.com/
- Phone: (617) 375-8550
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:00pm (Lunch) Monday - Thursday 5pm - 10:00pm (Dinner) Friday and Saturday 5pm - 10:30pm (Dinner)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kathleen Smith
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: blu to You Catering now available for business or personal events. View our catering menu online or contact, Director of Catering at 617.842.3199 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Delivery available upon location.
- Special Events: blu Restaurant and Bar is the perfect setting for private events. Host your wedding, rehersal dinner, holiday party, corporate event, business meeting or personal celebration in the warmth of our intimate restaurant. Whether you are dreaming of an intimate wedding or an elaborate evening reception, blu will help you design a personalized and unforgettable experience. Please contact the Special Events Manager at 617.842.3199 or email@example.com
A word from Blu
blu Restaurant and Bar allows you to take in sky-high views while dining on seasonal menus from Executive Chef Kathleen Smith. Feast on Chef Smith's creations for either lunch or dinner while enjoying the view from blu's bar area or dining room. Located on the 4th Floor at The Sports Club/LA, blu is a perfect venue for a pre-theater dinner, special occasions, or hosting an event.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blu reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (51)fit for foodies (37)special occasion (33)romantic (32)neighborhood gem (14)good for groups (12)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (10)late-night find (7)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Enjoyable dining experiencetouchcurrentDined on 5/17/2014The food was wonderful! Nice view of Paramount and Downtown Crossing area!Special Features:
- Perfect before theatreRozzieVIPDined on 5/15/2014Lovely ambience, dedicated service, delicious food, beautiful view, validated parking all makes for an excellent before the theatre experience.Special Features:
- Hard to find, but worth it!brassdaddyDined on 5/14/2014On the corner of Avery and Washington, 4th Floor of the Ritz Carlton. Great vibe, great view, excellent service. We went for lunch, I had the Ahi Tuna salad. Food was decent, not exceptional, but I want to go back and try their dinner menu. Presentation was great. I think that is a good sign, perhaps?Special Features:
- Graduation Night DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Came here to dine with my family and boyfriend after graduation. The food was excellent! I got the scallops over lobster risotto and I could not have wanted anything better. My dad's swordfish and mom's lamb were divine as well. There is a great view out over the street and at the Paramount through the large windows, but even with the hustle outside there is a great calm, cool ambiance inside. I would highly recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always!TOLmusicVIPDined on 5/9/2014I have been here many times and the quality is consistently high! It's a great location for dinner before or after a show at the theater and the ballet. Thank you!!Special Features:
- Perfect Start To A Night OutmargopenelopeVIPDined on 5/5/2014This was such a great find to hit before we went to the Wilbur. Great food (we wanted to try everything!) and great booze. The scallops were amazing. Another reviewer was a big fan of the beet salad - I wasn't crazy about the orange dressing on it. The short ribs I could eat forever! Bread before the meal was outstanding... And the view? Amazing. So happy I found this place and can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Nice pre-theater spotLeftyDined on 5/3/2014We had a table for two by the window looking down Washington St to the colorful lights of the Paramount Theater. Very pretty. Very good food, attentive but not pushy service. We had a 6:30 rez on Saturday night and there were only two couples at the nearby bar, a foursome next to us, and several empty 2 person high tops. Other sections were separated by stylish curtains and occupied by large family groups (wedding related?). I thought there would have been people/energy in the restaurant. But, nevertheless, we enjoyed the peacefulness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater GoerEAshleyDined on 5/2/2014Had a nice meal with no worries about gettin to the theater on time. Nice floor to ceiling windows and a relatively quiet table. Appitizers and salads were all top notch and decided to skip the entres.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jksmith4VIPDined on 5/2/2014The food was incredible! We started our meal with the Warm Lobster Dip. I was expecting something plain but the chef packed a lot of flavor into this dish. Floor to ceiling windows give a great view of the street below. Be prepared to see people in gym shorts from the work out facility on the same floor.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2014My husband and I went before attending a show at the Opera House. The food was delicious, and the service was terrific! We enjoyed the city view from our table by the window, although we probably would have liked it a bit more had we gone later at night when the city buildings are all lit up. There was a party going on in the bar area, which is separated from the dining room by partition only, so it did get a bit loud in the dining room at times while we were eating our dinner. For us - it was OK - but if you are looking for a quiet location to celebrate a special occasion, then this may not be the place to go.Special Features:
- Theatre StopCherylVIPDined on 4/23/2014Great stop prior to the theatre loved the food and view.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/22/2014Great spot for pre theater dining. We ate in the bar side and liked it. More casual than I expected but it is attached to a health club. That's not a bad thing. The beet salad was a stand out.Special Features:
- could be betterjis010Dined on 4/22/2014Amazing view of Washington st. Food and service just OK. Reasonable prices. Lamb OK scallops undercooked in center. Tough on outsideSpecial Features:
- We'll Definitely ReturnBosonDCB02128Dined on 4/19/2014Celebrated a birthday dinner at Blu. The views are amazing, the staff is friendly and the food was excellent. Amazing place and we'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient to Opera HouseXxxxxxDined on 4/15/2014Comfortable room with nice streetscape view. Calamari very tender and flavorful. Sea Scallops also cooked well. Vegetable elements in entrees were minimal so, in future, would choose first course with that in mind.Special Features:
- Surprisingly fabulous meal!DJCFoodDined on 4/11/2014As this was our first time at Blu, we were not sure what to expect (even though the reviews were primarily good), I have to say my husband and I were pleasantly surprised with a wonderful meal, great service, nice ambiance and view of the theater district through floor to very high ceiling windows. We split the Thai Shrimp appetizer, I had the Diver Sea Scallops in a lobster risotto and my husband had the Slow-Braised Pork Shank Ossobuco. All were delicious! We were too full for dessert, but those looked good too! We had tickets for a show at the Opera House at 8 PM; we arrived at the restaurant and 6 PM and had a lovely, leisurely meal and made it to the show with plenty of time to spare.Special Features:
- Wonderful pre-theater experiencenightonthetownDined on 4/8/2014We thoroughly enjoyed an excellent meal and attentive, yet unobtrusive service in a relaxed environment before taking in a show. A perfect night on the town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rather Surprising!!GoodEats77Dined on 4/5/2014Went into town for a night with my wife and we wanted to have an upscale dinner, but in a bit of a relaxed environment and Blu hits that's on the head! When we arrived we found the entrance to be a bit different butting through the cafe area, but once in the dinning room everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at BluMaryDined on 4/4/2014Met a friend for a catch-up lunch at Blu and it was very lovely, as always. Great view and great food, and a nice glass of wine. I had the salmon over rice/vegs. Well cooked, and a nice portion for lunchtime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth The FindCherylVIPDined on 4/2/2014It was tough to find the entrance and the directions aren't great. Went with a friend before a show and the food was wonderful.Special Features:
- Date Night GemWineDined on 3/27/2014The view of downtown gives me Vegas real-ness. The bright lights from the Paramount illuminate the street and the wide and high windows open Boston streets right before you. The ambiance and view are every-thang and the food and service is outstanding. I plan on coming back very soon. Great for a special night out with the girls, close friends, significant other or a blind/first date. Don't be alarmed when you get to the 4th floor and reach a cafeteria, walk past this and the restaurant is behind it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hidden spotRachelp85Dined on 3/27/2014My boyfriend and I went during Dine Out Boston week for the $20 lunch special. Hidden on the 4th floor of a hotel, we were seated right by the floor-to-ceiling window view of Boston, looking down on the scurrying pedestrians below. The view for lunch alone was worth it - what a cool spot! We tried the spicy shrimp & chorizo flatbread and the stuffed artichoke bottoms for an appetizer, chicken linguini and lamb sliders for entree, and raspberry mousse cake and orange creme brulee for dessert - everything was wonderful and the portions were well worth the cost! If I had to nitpick anything, the waiter forgot my drink order and I had to re-order it with another staff. Other than that very small hiccup, I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Gd food and vu in theater districtzoiloDined on 3/27/2014Nice view from 4th floor over Chinatown and theater district. Excellent restaurant week lunch. I will return for dinner because food was very good and in the heart of the theater district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUSPeterDined on 3/26/2014Had pre-theater dinner at BLU this week and it was FABULOUS. The service was excellent, the waitstaff knowledgable and attentive and the food was wonderful. I had the butternut squash with short rib and my date had the proscuito wrapped scallops over risotto. Everything was cooked to perfection, very well presented and very flavorful. We eat out several times a week in Boston and I have paid significantly more for a dinner at the "must go to" places and it has not been as good as BLU. This is a real find and a pre-theater gem. Tell them you are going to a show and they will pace your meal accordingly. We are so happy with our experience at BLU and highly recommend you go.Special Features:
- BluMazyDined on 3/26/2014Very good food in a great urban setting! Wonderful service from a very patient waiter made for a special evening for a friend's birthday! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the investmentThaiKingVIPDined on 3/25/2014This is great place for a romantic dinner. See if the can sit you in the first table / couch it's the one with the best view of Paramount.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Views are great. Food is not.boathouseVIPDined on 3/22/2014What a lost opportunity -- the view is lovely for guests seated toward the expansive glass overlooking the theatre district. Restaurant should be redesigned so that guest seating is oriented outward facing the glass and the view. My wife had a spectacular view -- mine was a view of the bar and wait staff's area. The food was fair at best. Shrimp appetizer had an overwhelming fish odor that we could smell as it approached the table. We returned it immediately. Salads were fine. Salmon dinner was okay -- lacked flavor and imagination. While convenient for before going to theatre, there are other options like Artisan Bistro or SIP that are better choices.
- ExcellentYvesDined on 3/21/2014I had such a great time with my girlfriend. The food, wine and desserts were amazing. Likewise for the service. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dine Out BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/21/2014They were able to accommodate a larger party at the last minute, which was much appreciated. The food and the drinks were well done, and the atmosphere was fun. It was one of the only restaurants in boston with any kind of city view, and the low blue lights served to create a fun, slightly surreal feeling as you look at the lights of the city in the theatre district. Everyone in our group really enjoyed what they ordered.Special Features:
- Great night outjodyDined on 3/21/2014Parking is easy and inexpensive. View is great. Food was delicious, especially chocolate lava cake. To die for!! Tables are a little close together. Had a great night out.Special Features:
- So convenient to the balletOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 3/21/2014Blu has a fun atmosphere with good food and is a stone's throw away from the Boston Opera House and the rest of the theater district.Special Features:
- Went for Dine Out Boston andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/20/2014Went for Dine Out Boston and was very pleased with the food, portions, and service, would recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before the balletrowangreenleafVIPDined on 3/19/2014We usually go here before the ballet. The staff are accommodating and attending, the food is pretty good, and the lighting is very romantic.Special Features:
- Quiet, pleasant lunchcmedin02Dined on 3/17/2014I went for lunch during restaurant week and enjoyed my experience. The shrimp and chorizo flatbread was deliciou, the lamb sliders were very good (although part of me wishes I was a bit more daring and went for the grilled salmon salad with mango, blood orange, and acai-berry vinaigrette), and the orange-cinnamon creme brulee was a very interesting flavor combination which I came around to in the end. The wait staff was very nice and attentive. The restaurant was surprisingly empty for lunch, but that didn't bother me. The menu was also only $20 for the 3-course lunch which was quite a steal. I'd recommend giving this place a try.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine-out week at BluMaryDined on 3/17/2014We went for Boston Dining Out week (or whatever it's called now) lunch at Blu. The room is so pretty with the excellent view of the area (big floor to ceiing windows all around on the 6th floor.) The food was excellent, and the apps were HUGE. Could have beena meal in themselves (flatbreads.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of choices. Food was very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/15/2014Wanted a place near the theatre district for light dinner and drinks. I liked the menu because there were several appetizer and salad choices. We had Mushroom soup which was excellent and served hot (like it should be!), a salad with seared tuna (I was missing a wasabi flavor on the plate, but was otherwise good) and very good and decadant smoked mozzarella sticks. My mixed drink was tasty and very strong...only needed one. Our server was very pleasant. The view was surprising, and the atmosphere was upscale fun and funky. We were there on an odd night, as they were preparing to host a function later in the night, so it was very quiet. But I would return and try it again any time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great food and servicePoppyDined on 3/7/2014Always great food and service in my experience. Little quibble this time, duck was to be served with wild rice. Delicious duck, but came with lots of white rice with few grains of undercooked wild rice. Disappointing from a chef with a brain and skill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around special venueOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/7/2014We love the ambiance, service with a smile, and last but not least the food preparation is pleasant to the eye as well as to the palate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2014My husband and I went to Blu to celebrate our anniversary prior to a show. Great restaurant, especially before/after attending a show in the Theatre District. We were somewhat skeptical based on reviews regarding the sports club and cafeteria outside of restaurant, but we had a very good dining experience. The food was very good, the service was great. Our waiter made a recommendation from the menu for dishes that we would enjoy and still allow plenty of time to get to the show. They did not disappoint!! The ambience was nice, great scenic view of nightlife. This is a nice spot for a romantic special occasion or for dining with a group. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatHungryLDined on 3/1/2014Had the lobster club which was wonderful. Finished the meal with the Hazelnut Bon Bon...to die for.Special Features: