4 Avery Street
Boston, MA 02111Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.blurestaurant.com/
- Phone: (617) 375-8550
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:00pm (Lunch) Monday - Thursday 5pm - 10:00pm (Dinner) Friday and Saturday 5pm - 10:30pm (Dinner)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kathleen Smith
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: blu to You Catering now available for business or personal events. View our catering menu online or contact, Director of Catering at 617.842.3199 or email email@example.com. Delivery available upon location.
- Special Events: blu Restaurant and Bar is the perfect setting for private events. Host your wedding, rehersal dinner, holiday party, corporate event, business meeting or personal celebration in the warmth of our intimate restaurant. Whether you are dreaming of an intimate wedding or an elaborate evening reception, blu will help you design a personalized and unforgettable experience. Please contact the Special Events Manager at 617.842.3199 or firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Blu
blu Restaurant and Bar allows you to take in sky-high views while dining on seasonal menus from Executive Chef Kathleen Smith. Feast on Chef Smith's creations for either lunch or dinner while enjoying the view from blu's bar area or dining room. Located on the 4th Floor at The Sports Club/LA, blu is a perfect venue for a pre-theater dinner, special occasions, or hosting an event.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blu reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (51)fit for foodies (35)romantic (32)special occasion (31)neighborhood gem (13)good for groups (12)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (10)late-night find (7)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Nice restaurant for atmosphere and the street viewcoolsandouDined on 11/20/2014Discovered through the net, it was a nice place to take a quiet dinner in a modern style restaurant with a nice view on the streets of Boston. The service was amazing. The food is good but not amazing. I would recommend the place for happy hour with work colleagues or working lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time out and attention to detailOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014We celebrated one of my brother's birthdays and we all had good meals. The service was very good - although that night was a quiet one at Blu. When I made the reservation through Open Table, I did add a comment that we were celebrating my brother's birthday. I was pleasantly surprised that when I received my dessert (no one else ordered any dessert), the staff had written "Happy Birthday" and included a lit candle for him to blow out - a nice touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent !!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Great night, from the food all the way to the view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theater treat!DrMarcDined on 11/13/2014We went to Blu for a pre-theater dinner. We were entertained by the decor, then awed by the level of service (perfectly attentive, but not too attentive), the server's sensitivity to our time, the quality of the food, and the added attraction of a party which enhanced the ambiance even more! This is a great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theater diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014Perfect venue in theater district. Waiter accommodating to need for curtain time. A bit noisey like most restaurants.I would recommend this to a friend.
- EMSERRDined on 10/31/2014Blu was a wonderful find for my girlfriend and I. It's certainly a very nice and high-end place, but it's not overly expensive if you moderate what you order. Especially considering the location and the view, it's just as good a value as it is a place to eat out.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Blu is a story of wasted potential. The location is convenient and the view from its 4th floor perch over Washington Street is stunning. The rest of it, however, is just ok. Firstly, it doesn't offer wine by the bottle. Really? Secondly, the menu looks like it was made on someone's home computer. Our waitress was pleasant enough, but not the quality that you get at real fine dining restaurants. The food was decent, but nothing spectacular. I had the pork tenderloin and it was a bit dry. The best thing about the meal was the parmesan bread bites. They were pretty yummy. All in all, it was quiet and romantic, which is what we wanted, but it has so much wasted potential and isn't worth the cost. With better management it could be a knockout.Special Features:
- Ask for a seat with a viewFoodjunkieDined on 10/17/2014Blu was recommended to me by my sister. The food was good, but steak was a little over cooked. The service was good, nothing special. The service was slow, but since I was celebrating I didn't seem to mind too much. The view of the theater was great. Not really a bad seat in the house, but ask for a window table if you can get one it really was beautiful! The menu is small and there was only one special. Overall it was okay. I wouldn't go out of my way to go there again and it's nothing to rave about.Special Features:
- 5 starsBonitodanDined on 10/17/2014Pleasantly surprised with the great food and service. It was our 1st time and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. A nice feature was the close proximity to the theater district and landmarks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!JeanneDined on 10/14/2014The ambience and food were fantastic! Our waiter, Rogerio, was so attentive and personable. I'll definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/10/2014As most reviews go, this place has decent food, could be a little better for the price. The biggest issue is with service and timing. Give yourself plenty of time. It took almost an hour to get our main dishes. The wait staff was nice enough but not excellent. Although we had notes it was my wife's birthday dinner, we received not even a mention of it. With all that said, the ambiance and view of the the theater district is phenomenal. Although I would not rave about this place, I would definitely recommend at least one visit if you are heading out for a show.
- great restaurant w/ moderate pricesDanMDined on 10/9/2014Great food and service. Nice views. Great place for dinner if you're going to a show. Not cheap but not overpriced. Elegant but not snobby.Special Features:
- OvercookedGracieDined on 10/9/2014MY lamb was overcooked.You did offer to exchange but time would not allow. My daughter would have been all done with her meal as I began. Not Good! I appreciated your discounting my meal.Special Features:
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014Blu is amazing. the atmosphere and the views are great. The food was unbelievable, best meal I have had in a long time. The staff was pleasant and accommodating. I would highly recommend Blu to anyone. I will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great time!MmbbDined on 10/3/2014Great food and beautiful restaurant! Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice FindHopganVIPDined on 10/2/2014My wife and I had an excellent experience here, good service, reasonable food and wine prices. The view is awesome, the staff pace where attentive and at the same time let us take our time and enjoy our evening. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Perfect place to celebrateIndigoDined on 9/27/2014From the floor to ceiling windows to the white linen tablecloths, Blu makes an impression the moment you walk in. And thanks to the design, every table has a unique view for your party to enjoy. We came before sunset which I recommended. The ambiance and romantic environment only grew us the sun set. Our server was very friendly and available. The presentation of the food was phenomenal and elegant. Not an extensive wine list but it was easy to find something to pair with our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Service a bit slownotacriticDined on 9/27/2014Early 530 pm reservation before show at Opera House. Glad we had the buffer of time as service was a bit slow and too relaxed for this level of restaurant. That said, family loved the views, the food and the night out, a very good choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasant SurpriseBobbyDined on 9/26/2014Dinner before a show at the Opera House turned out to be a great experience. The table by the window overlooked Washington Street. The blue-green ambiance lighting just seemed to get better and better as dusk approached. The wait staff was perfect making the meal that much more enjoyable. The mussel appetizer was really delicious. All the meals were excellent including the sirloin, lobster ravioli, striped bass and scallops. Can't wait to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect pre-theatre dinner spot.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/24/2014Blu is an excellent spot for dinner before a theater show. Location, view, and most importantly the food is fantastic. My husband and I enjoyed our dinner recently and were pleased with all aspects of our dining experience. It was an early dine before 7:00 pm therefore it was quiet and the staff very attentive. I imagine it can get noisy with a full dining room. Wonderful apps, (scallops w/pork belly favorite), great salads , entrees and drinks were perfect. With only two of us we could only sample a few of the many tempting offerings! I would recommend Blu for anyone who enjoys fresh , contemporary and exquisitely prepared food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blu is refreshing!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/12/2014Blu is one of our neighborhood retreats. We can go just for a quick bite or with a group to celebrate. The food is consistently excellent and the staff friendly, attentive, and welcoming. The tuna tartare is a great app as well as the mussels. Actually the entire menu is not too large but there is something for everyone. The design of the space allows for interesting vistas with views of some of Boston's elegant old architecture mingled in with the new plus the added charm of bright lights on theatre row...FUN. Yet, above the frey we relax and enjoy a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view, good food, ok serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014The view from Blu is unique and the glass walls make you almost feel like you're outside. A fun, unique vibe. The food was good. One of our dishes (the scallops) was very good, the other was "fine" (the chicken). The service was passable. The first issue was that Blu accepted our reservation, but when we got there we were told that the dining room was closed for the night (private party) and we'd be eating in the bar. I don't mind eating in the bar generally, but some people might. After that, service was slow through the rest of the night. Again, I suspect it was due to the party in the dining room. I'd give Blue another shot (mostly for the atmosphere/location), but ask a few questions when making the reservation.Special Features:
- Business DinnerBluReviewDined on 8/26/2014I requested a quieter corner for a business meeting and was accommodated.Special Features:
- Great find!!!mrsgloverDined on 8/20/2014I found this place researching the internet. I wanted to take my husband somewhere different for his birthday and I am glad I took him there. The food was great, parking is outstanding, our waitress was so friendly, and the restaurant was beautiful. The lighting, the view of the city, the prices for the menu list is very reasonable, just everything was an A+ for us and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodBostonianDined on 8/16/2014We were there early, before the crowds. The food was excellent. The portions were generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely for LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/31/2014In a pricey neighborhood, Blu offers a great value for lunch. Both me and my dining companion received beutiful full plates and we dined together for less than $40 in the downtown/theatre district. The view was lovely and the atmosphere was light but refined. My short rib pannini was absolutely delicious and my friend's quinoa bowl looked spectacular. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- The following 863 reviews are from the Blu reviews archive.
- Great for Pre-TheaterOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/19/2014With mixed reviews & a busy Saturday pre-theater crowd, we were not sure what to expect. However, Blu far exceeded our expectations. Our waiter was very attentive & helpful. The food was delicious, notably, the kale salad, chicken under a brick, swordfish & hazelnut bombe. It was very busy while we were there, but were seated promtly and not rushed. Great views as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at BluOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/19/2014We had a wonderful dining experience at Blu. We went to a Saturday Matinee at the Opera House and had dinner after the show. A quick walk from the Theatre, they had a great table waiting for us with a view of the street with the theater so we had great people watching. Our waiter was spectacular, just made us feel very special, I wish I remember his name, a nice Brazilian gentleman. I had a sirloin steak with mashed potato and asparagus, all cooked to perfect. (I am a salt-a-holic and I didn't even need to think about asking for any additional seasoning it was just done to perfection.) My dining companions both had the scallops with lobster risotto, we had a delish flatbread as an appetizer. The food was phenomenal. they validateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good findLovebostonfoodDined on 7/12/2014Great food. Not crowded despite dining on a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-Theater DiningNellieHDined on 7/10/2014Varied menu that runs from light and casual to gourmet. Interesting ambience considering you are just outside a fitness gym. Right in the heart of the theater district. All in all a very enjoyable evening.
- Burger a disappointmentDateNiteDined on 7/10/2014Not sure about the other food as we both ordered burgers, but they appeared to be preformed frozen patties, dry, overlooked (burned outside) and the lettuce leaves had a lot of soil on them, visible all over the still wet leaf. We were hoping to make a movie so we said nothing but it was a shame- a little effort goes a long way with a burger, and not being able to make a decent burger is a bad sign.
- disappointingaveragejoeDined on 7/10/2014The mushroom soup was bland, bland, bland, my salad had a fruit fly hovering around it when it came out of the kitchen. There was a piece of cheese on the salad that was translucent and hard, old. i was embarrassed in front of my diner partner, because i suggested Blu. I had been there years before and it was good, its gone downhill. My diner partner didn't want me to complain to the waiter. I wish I had. For two soups, two salads which we hardly touched because of the fly, a bottle of sparkling water and 1 appetizer it was $69.00. Way too much money for that gross food. The waiter was very nice, friendly and attentive, but the food was bad. They need Kitchen nightmare with Chef Ramsey to come in and straighten them out.
- A Winner In The Theater DistrictVinnieDined on 7/10/2014Our pre-show dinner at Blu was all that we hoped for and more. Often in downtown restaurants, the reputation of the food is exaggerated. Not so at Blu. Our appetizers, the short rib resting on a thin cheese and corn ravioli and scallops on a thick tasty strip of pork belly, were fabulous. Our entrees, the duck breast and the rack of lamb were not only delectable, but also filled the plates. The rack of lamb consisted or 8 attached riblets with roasted potatoes and sauteed green beans. It was a star dish!Special Features:
- Great Urban DiningManatee75Dined on 7/5/2014Blu is a great place to eat overlooking Boston's Theater District (particularly the colorful Paramount Theater marquee.) This sophistocated upscale restraurant serves delicious meals in large portions, which is not always the case for a restraurant of this type. Service was excellent. This is a wonderful place for a special occasion or a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Boston dining experienceMayhem14Dined on 7/3/2014Convenient location on top of the parking garage and right in the heart of the theatre district. Interior is beautiful with amazing views of the city. Service was ok, we expected a little more. No one was at the front desk, we were seated by a waiter and our waiter left after just getting 1 of our appetizer orders...we were a party of 2. The food was absolutely incredible, everything was perfectly cooked, and there were many vegetarian options. Don't leave without the lobster mashed potatoes. Very romantic, am excellent evening, highly recommended. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday dinner before a showSightseersDined on 6/27/2014The view was beautiful. Excellent food and great service. What more could you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bogieVIPDined on 6/26/2014Special find in downtown Boston. Modern, airy, fourth floor gem. Very good food with professional service to match. Moderate prices which was a welcom relief from usual downtown Boston pricing. Salmon was fantastic, complementary focaccia bread super! Nice views from floor to ceiling windows. Get a table facting State Street building!Special Features:
- customer serviceLoveBluDined on 5/29/2014Everything will spectacular. Our waitress was very professional as usual. She checked on us every now and then. No words to describe her level of professionalismSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, view, and locationMayfstroDined on 5/24/2014My fiancee and I went to Blu before a movie. The one complaint would be that the server was fairly inattentive. I think this was an isolated incident because the staff, overall, was very good. For an appetizer, we had the polenta fries. For the main course, my fiancee was really feeling like a burger and I had the swordfish and lobster mashed potatoes. All of the food was terrific. The polenta fries are a must. The burger was awesome, especially with an egg on it. The swordfish and lobster mash were definitely the highlight. The swordfish was perfectly cooked and they were generous with the lobster in the mashed potatoes. Awesome place for location, view, and great food.Special Features:
- VicsDined on 5/22/2014We can count on Blu to be quiet, delicious, good service and aware of our time constraints. It is a staple for us.........Special Features: