4 Avery Street
Boston, MA 02111Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.blurestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6173758550
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:00pm (Lunch) Monday - Thursday 5pm - 10:00pm (Dinner) Friday and Saturday 5pm - 10:30pm (Dinner)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kathleen Smith
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: blu to You Catering now available for business or personal events. View our catering menu online or contact, Director of Catering at 617.842.3199 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Delivery available upon location.
- Special Events: blu Restaurant and Bar is the perfect setting for private events. Host your wedding, rehersal dinner, holiday party, corporate event, business meeting or personal celebration in the warmth of our intimate restaurant. Whether you are dreaming of an intimate wedding or an elaborate evening reception, blu will help you design a personalized and unforgettable experience. Please contact the Special Events Manager at 617.842.3199 or email@example.com
A word from Blu
blu Restaurant and Bar allows you to take in sky-high views while dining on seasonal menus from Executive Chef Kathleen Smith. Feast on Chef Smith's creations for either lunch or dinner while enjoying the view from blu's bar area or dining room. Located on the 4th Floor at The Sports Club/LA, blu is a perfect venue for a pre-theater dinner, special occasions, or hosting an event.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blu reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (33)special occasion (29)fit for foodies (24)romantic (24)good for groups (11)great for lunch (11)notable wine list (8)neighborhood gem (7)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Perfect place to celebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014From the floor to ceiling windows to the white linen tablecloths, Blu makes an impression the moment you walk in. And thanks to the design, every table has a unique view for your party to enjoy. We came before sunset which I recommended. The ambiance and romantic environment only grew us the sun set. Our server was very friendly and available. The presentation of the food was phenomenal and elegant. Not an extensive wine list but it was easy to find something to pair with our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Service a bit slownotacriticDined on 9/27/2014Early 530 pm reservation before show at Opera House. Glad we had the buffer of time as service was a bit slow and too relaxed for this level of restaurant. That said, family loved the views, the food and the night out, a very good choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasant SurpriseBobbyDined on 9/26/2014Dinner before a show at the Opera House turned out to be a great experience. The table by the window overlooked Washington Street. The blue-green ambiance lighting just seemed to get better and better as dusk approached. The wait staff was perfect making the meal that much more enjoyable. The mussel appetizer was really delicious. All the meals were excellent including the sirloin, lobster ravioli, striped bass and scallops. Can't wait to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect pre-theatre dinner spot.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/24/2014Blu is an excellent spot for dinner before a theater show. Location, view, and most importantly the food is fantastic. My husband and I enjoyed our dinner recently and were pleased with all aspects of our dining experience. It was an early dine before 7:00 pm therefore it was quiet and the staff very attentive. I imagine it can get noisy with a full dining room. Wonderful apps, (scallops w/pork belly favorite), great salads , entrees and drinks were perfect. With only two of us we could only sample a few of the many tempting offerings! I would recommend Blu for anyone who enjoys fresh , contemporary and exquisitely prepared food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blu is refreshing!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/12/2014Blu is one of our neighborhood retreats. We can go just for a quick bite or with a group to celebrate. The food is consistently excellent and the staff friendly, attentive, and welcoming. The tuna tartare is a great app as well as the mussels. Actually the entire menu is not too large but there is something for everyone. The design of the space allows for interesting vistas with views of some of Boston's elegant old architecture mingled in with the new plus the added charm of bright lights on theatre row...FUN. Yet, above the frey we relax and enjoy a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view, good food, ok serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014The view from Blu is unique and the glass walls make you almost feel like you're outside. A fun, unique vibe. The food was good. One of our dishes (the scallops) was very good, the other was "fine" (the chicken). The service was passable. The first issue was that Blu accepted our reservation, but when we got there we were told that the dining room was closed for the night (private party) and we'd be eating in the bar. I don't mind eating in the bar generally, but some people might. After that, service was slow through the rest of the night. Again, I suspect it was due to the party in the dining room. I'd give Blue another shot (mostly for the atmosphere/location), but ask a few questions when making the reservation.Special Features:
- Business DinnerBluReviewDined on 8/26/2014I requested a quieter corner for a business meeting and was accommodated.Special Features:
- Great find!!!mrsgloverDined on 8/20/2014I found this place researching the internet. I wanted to take my husband somewhere different for his birthday and I am glad I took him there. The food was great, parking is outstanding, our waitress was so friendly, and the restaurant was beautiful. The lighting, the view of the city, the prices for the menu list is very reasonable, just everything was an A+ for us and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodBostonianDined on 8/16/2014We were there early, before the crowds. The food was excellent. The portions were generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely for LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/31/2014In a pricey neighborhood, Blu offers a great value for lunch. Both me and my dining companion received beutiful full plates and we dined together for less than $40 in the downtown/theatre district. The view was lovely and the atmosphere was light but refined. My short rib pannini was absolutely delicious and my friend's quinoa bowl looked spectacular. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great for Pre-TheaterOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/19/2014With mixed reviews & a busy Saturday pre-theater crowd, we were not sure what to expect. However, Blu far exceeded our expectations. Our waiter was very attentive & helpful. The food was delicious, notably, the kale salad, chicken under a brick, swordfish & hazelnut bombe. It was very busy while we were there, but were seated promtly and not rushed. Great views as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at BluOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/19/2014We had a wonderful dining experience at Blu. We went to a Saturday Matinee at the Opera House and had dinner after the show. A quick walk from the Theatre, they had a great table waiting for us with a view of the street with the theater so we had great people watching. Our waiter was spectacular, just made us feel very special, I wish I remember his name, a nice Brazilian gentleman. I had a sirloin steak with mashed potato and asparagus, all cooked to perfect. (I am a salt-a-holic and I didn't even need to think about asking for any additional seasoning it was just done to perfection.) My dining companions both had the scallops with lobster risotto, we had a delish flatbread as an appetizer. The food was phenomenal. they validateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good findLovebostonfoodDined on 7/12/2014Great food. Not crowded despite dining on a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-Theater DiningNellieHDined on 7/10/2014Varied menu that runs from light and casual to gourmet. Interesting ambience considering you are just outside a fitness gym. Right in the heart of the theater district. All in all a very enjoyable evening.
- Burger a disappointmentDateNiteDined on 7/10/2014Not sure about the other food as we both ordered burgers, but they appeared to be preformed frozen patties, dry, overlooked (burned outside) and the lettuce leaves had a lot of soil on them, visible all over the still wet leaf. We were hoping to make a movie so we said nothing but it was a shame- a little effort goes a long way with a burger, and not being able to make a decent burger is a bad sign.
- disappointingaveragejoeDined on 7/10/2014The mushroom soup was bland, bland, bland, my salad had a fruit fly hovering around it when it came out of the kitchen. There was a piece of cheese on the salad that was translucent and hard, old. i was embarrassed in front of my diner partner, because i suggested Blu. I had been there years before and it was good, its gone downhill. My diner partner didn't want me to complain to the waiter. I wish I had. For two soups, two salads which we hardly touched because of the fly, a bottle of sparkling water and 1 appetizer it was $69.00. Way too much money for that gross food. The waiter was very nice, friendly and attentive, but the food was bad. They need Kitchen nightmare with Chef Ramsey to come in and straighten them out.
- A Winner In The Theater DistrictVinnieDined on 7/10/2014Our pre-show dinner at Blu was all that we hoped for and more. Often in downtown restaurants, the reputation of the food is exaggerated. Not so at Blu. Our appetizers, the short rib resting on a thin cheese and corn ravioli and scallops on a thick tasty strip of pork belly, were fabulous. Our entrees, the duck breast and the rack of lamb were not only delectable, but also filled the plates. The rack of lamb consisted or 8 attached riblets with roasted potatoes and sauteed green beans. It was a star dish!Special Features:
- Great Urban DiningManatee75Dined on 7/5/2014Blu is a great place to eat overlooking Boston's Theater District (particularly the colorful Paramount Theater marquee.) This sophistocated upscale restraurant serves delicious meals in large portions, which is not always the case for a restraurant of this type. Service was excellent. This is a wonderful place for a special occasion or a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Boston dining experienceMayhem14Dined on 7/3/2014Convenient location on top of the parking garage and right in the heart of the theatre district. Interior is beautiful with amazing views of the city. Service was ok, we expected a little more. No one was at the front desk, we were seated by a waiter and our waiter left after just getting 1 of our appetizer orders...we were a party of 2. The food was absolutely incredible, everything was perfectly cooked, and there were many vegetarian options. Don't leave without the lobster mashed potatoes. Very romantic, am excellent evening, highly recommended. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday dinner before a showSightseersDined on 6/27/2014The view was beautiful. Excellent food and great service. What more could you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bogieVIPDined on 6/26/2014Special find in downtown Boston. Modern, airy, fourth floor gem. Very good food with professional service to match. Moderate prices which was a welcom relief from usual downtown Boston pricing. Salmon was fantastic, complementary focaccia bread super! Nice views from floor to ceiling windows. Get a table facting State Street building!Special Features:
- The following 852 reviews are from the Blu reviews archive.
- customer serviceLoveBluDined on 5/29/2014Everything will spectacular. Our waitress was very professional as usual. She checked on us every now and then. No words to describe her level of professionalismSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, view, and locationMayfstroDined on 5/24/2014My fiancee and I went to Blu before a movie. The one complaint would be that the server was fairly inattentive. I think this was an isolated incident because the staff, overall, was very good. For an appetizer, we had the polenta fries. For the main course, my fiancee was really feeling like a burger and I had the swordfish and lobster mashed potatoes. All of the food was terrific. The polenta fries are a must. The burger was awesome, especially with an egg on it. The swordfish and lobster mash were definitely the highlight. The swordfish was perfectly cooked and they were generous with the lobster in the mashed potatoes. Awesome place for location, view, and great food.Special Features:
- VicsDined on 5/22/2014We can count on Blu to be quiet, delicious, good service and aware of our time constraints. It is a staple for us.........Special Features:
- Enjoyable dining experiencetouchcurrentDined on 5/17/2014The food was wonderful! Nice view of Paramount and Downtown Crossing area!Special Features:
- Perfect before theatreRozzieDined on 5/15/2014Lovely ambience, dedicated service, delicious food, beautiful view, validated parking all makes for an excellent before the theatre experience.Special Features:
- Hard to find, but worth it!brassdaddyDined on 5/14/2014On the corner of Avery and Washington, 4th Floor of the Ritz Carlton. Great vibe, great view, excellent service. We went for lunch, I had the Ahi Tuna salad. Food was decent, not exceptional, but I want to go back and try their dinner menu. Presentation was great. I think that is a good sign, perhaps?Special Features:
- Graduation Night DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Came here to dine with my family and boyfriend after graduation. The food was excellent! I got the scallops over lobster risotto and I could not have wanted anything better. My dad's swordfish and mom's lamb were divine as well. There is a great view out over the street and at the Paramount through the large windows, but even with the hustle outside there is a great calm, cool ambiance inside. I would highly recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always!TOLmusicVIPDined on 5/9/2014I have been here many times and the quality is consistently high! It's a great location for dinner before or after a show at the theater and the ballet. Thank you!!Special Features:
- Perfect Start To A Night OutmargopenelopeVIPDined on 5/5/2014This was such a great find to hit before we went to the Wilbur. Great food (we wanted to try everything!) and great booze. The scallops were amazing. Another reviewer was a big fan of the beet salad - I wasn't crazy about the orange dressing on it. The short ribs I could eat forever! Bread before the meal was outstanding... And the view? Amazing. So happy I found this place and can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Nice pre-theater spotLeftyDined on 5/3/2014We had a table for two by the window looking down Washington St to the colorful lights of the Paramount Theater. Very pretty. Very good food, attentive but not pushy service. We had a 6:30 rez on Saturday night and there were only two couples at the nearby bar, a foursome next to us, and several empty 2 person high tops. Other sections were separated by stylish curtains and occupied by large family groups (wedding related?). I thought there would have been people/energy in the restaurant. But, nevertheless, we enjoyed the peacefulness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater GoerEAshleyDined on 5/2/2014Had a nice meal with no worries about gettin to the theater on time. Nice floor to ceiling windows and a relatively quiet table. Appitizers and salads were all top notch and decided to skip the entres.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jksmith4VIPDined on 5/2/2014The food was incredible! We started our meal with the Warm Lobster Dip. I was expecting something plain but the chef packed a lot of flavor into this dish. Floor to ceiling windows give a great view of the street below. Be prepared to see people in gym shorts from the work out facility on the same floor.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2014My husband and I went before attending a show at the Opera House. The food was delicious, and the service was terrific! We enjoyed the city view from our table by the window, although we probably would have liked it a bit more had we gone later at night when the city buildings are all lit up. There was a party going on in the bar area, which is separated from the dining room by partition only, so it did get a bit loud in the dining room at times while we were eating our dinner. For us - it was OK - but if you are looking for a quiet location to celebrate a special occasion, then this may not be the place to go.Special Features:
- Theatre StopCherylDined on 4/23/2014Great stop prior to the theatre loved the food and view.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/22/2014Great spot for pre theater dining. We ate in the bar side and liked it. More casual than I expected but it is attached to a health club. That's not a bad thing. The beet salad was a stand out.Special Features:
- could be betterjis010Dined on 4/22/2014Amazing view of Washington st. Food and service just OK. Reasonable prices. Lamb OK scallops undercooked in center. Tough on outsideSpecial Features:
- We'll Definitely ReturnBosonDCB02128Dined on 4/19/2014Celebrated a birthday dinner at Blu. The views are amazing, the staff is friendly and the food was excellent. Amazing place and we'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient to Opera HouseXxxxxxDined on 4/15/2014Comfortable room with nice streetscape view. Calamari very tender and flavorful. Sea Scallops also cooked well. Vegetable elements in entrees were minimal so, in future, would choose first course with that in mind.Special Features:
- Surprisingly fabulous meal!DJCFoodDined on 4/11/2014As this was our first time at Blu, we were not sure what to expect (even though the reviews were primarily good), I have to say my husband and I were pleasantly surprised with a wonderful meal, great service, nice ambiance and view of the theater district through floor to very high ceiling windows. We split the Thai Shrimp appetizer, I had the Diver Sea Scallops in a lobster risotto and my husband had the Slow-Braised Pork Shank Ossobuco. All were delicious! We were too full for dessert, but those looked good too! We had tickets for a show at the Opera House at 8 PM; we arrived at the restaurant and 6 PM and had a lovely, leisurely meal and made it to the show with plenty of time to spare.Special Features: