BLT Fish Shack
21 West 17th Street
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
BLT Fish Shack
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.e2hospitality.com/blt-fish-new-york/
- Phone: 2126918888x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Luke Venner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Second level is for private events. The room is self contained; there are 2 restrooms, banquet kitchen, bar and separate sound system. 15-65 people for a sit down and up to 125 for cocktail and hors d'oeurves.
- Private Party Contact: Alissa Cros 2126758156x
A word from BLT Fish Shack
Visit the BLT Fish Shack and relax like a true sailor. A raw bar boasts ten varieties of shellfish including periwinkles, clams and oysters while other specialties include a luscious clam chowder and Shack staples like crispy Fish and Chips. And don"t miss our stellar lobster roll, which will transport you straight to the seashore.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
BLT Fish Shack reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (12)neighborhood gem (10)great for lunch (9)good for groups (6)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (4)hot spot (3)romantic (3)special occasion (3)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Okay foodLuv2eatDined on 8/25/2014The appetizers, crab dip, peel & eat shrimp, and the baked clams were delicious. However, the lobster roll and the salmon entree were nothing to rave about. My salmon was very dry, which I had ordered at medium.Special Features:
- Very disappointing.2LBdiningDined on 8/13/2014Food was very average a best. Peel and eat shrimp was the best thing we had. Ordered cod which was raw in the middle sent it back was nicely replated but still undercooked. Service was OK but trying to rush us. Just not good. Really surprised so highly rated. Would not go back or recommend.
- Nice SpotFood4ThghtDined on 8/1/2014I had a great fish dinner late on Friday. Food and drinks were great. Definitely would recommend to others. The service was excellent!Special Features:
- Fresh fish pub feelingCliffhouseDined on 7/16/2014Fish was fresh and good but the presentation was poor. Bit pricey for what they gave you. OK if you want a quick in and out, not for dining. Better experience upstairs but much more $$$$$$$.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhilTDined on 7/9/2014Wonderfully simple seafood and great value. Always very tasty. Very good for the very young through under 30s.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was good with a but or twoShozgirlVIPDined on 7/3/2014Unfortunately for them the place is covered in scaffolding and construction noise buzzed through the walls. We sat in the window hoping for a quiet conversation. Inquired what "topneck" clams , was told they were large size. Later came to be told they only had small cherrystones which were not even on menu but OK, instead of 6 big ones give us 12 small (and they were very tiny small like for pasta) ones. I forgot to check the bill. The main issue was tiny table and they brought the clams then 5 mins later the salad AND the mussels which I suppose technically are all apps. But there was literally no room on table for them and we wouldnt have wanted the hot mussels until we finished all else. They didn't ask, nor take away and we endured it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehJad729Dined on 7/1/2014I'd been here several times before, but the last time was over a year ago. The overall quality of the food was not what I remembered, that's for sure. My appetizer and main dish were ok, that's all. Certainly. It good enough to justify the prices. My wife ordered a manhattan clam chowder that was inedible. The restaurant didn't charge us for that dish, at least. I would not recommend, nor will I return.
- Nice lunch spotLoveGoodFoodDined on 7/1/2014Food was very good, there is a good assortment of fish and shellfish. I had the fish sandwich and it was excellent. Service was pleasant but a bit slow at the beginning, but when we asked for the bill it was there in seconds. I'd recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014Food was over seasoned. Restaurant so noisy could not carry on a conversation.
- Fine Fishjmc712Dined on 5/31/2014Great spot for fish in Chelsea for pre/post off B'way theaters in area or if you've just strolled or are about to stroll the High Line. We prefer the fish shack to the upstairs restaurant but both are excellent. Great staff vey helpful in accommodating special requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/23/2014We went for lunch and were very happy with the experience. Food, service and ambiance all were very good indeed.Special Features:
- The following 142 reviews are from the BLT Fish Shack reviews archive.
- Food preparation needs improvementCarolbDined on 4/14/2014It's a lovely place, great service. But the oysters were sloppily shucked, and the fish served to me and my companion was unevenly cooked. Otherwise the food was fine. It is too expensive to tolerate these mistakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BLT (lost is name recognition)TWENVIPDined on 4/12/2014Don't waste a night out here. went out , four of us, not one had a decent meal. i wouldn't give the food 1 star,
- Gone downhill?AnonymousVIPDined on 3/30/2014I've been to BLT Fish Shack more times than I can count. It's never amazing but always good. I don't know if they had an off night or they're on the way down but the service was abominable (after over an hour-no apology for the wait/update/check-in by staff- of desperately distracting a starving four year old, the food finally came and my fish was raw inside). The food was less than satisfactory all around- the raw bar dishes were tasty but such small portions it was absurd and the cooked food wasn't good but I was forced to eat it because I was starving after the raw bar. Won't soon be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was delicious all theBrookeVIPDined on 3/27/2014Food was delicious all the seafood was very fresh. Loved the oysters, shrimp cocktail and key lime pie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The seafood at BLT Fish ShackNicknameVIPDined on 3/20/2014The seafood at BLT Fish Shack is hit-or-miss -- more often hit but not consistently. The restaurant has a sort of raffish charm, and prices are moderate. Don't expect anything special and you should have a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfied w/ a capital "S"DeeRod84Dined on 3/15/2014My wife and I were in the mood for good seafood and nice decor. BLT Fish Shack executed on both accounts. All the food (from the oysters, to the brussel sprouts with bacon to the salmon) was perfectly cooked and super delicious. The shack had the feel of a mom & pop restaurant in Cape Cod with a NYC twist. I would most definitely go back to dine again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh.jenivirgoVIPDined on 3/9/2014We happened to be in the neighborhood on a Sunday and decided to check out BLT Fish for something simple. They have a pretty extensive list of wines, but the waiter, who seemed more like a kitchen guy had a harder time pronouncing them than we did. He also wasn't able to properly explain the entree I ordered, so when it arrived, it was tasty, but nothing like he said. The food was okay, but nothing special. Unless you want a plain piece of sauteed fish, they serve mostly lunch fare. And I assume in that neighborhood, that's when they do the best business business lunch and post-work cocktails. Going early on a Sunday evening, probably isn't going to reveal their A game.
- Good Food But--JohnnyCVIPDined on 3/7/2014So noisy on a Friday I could not enjoy the meal. Music much too loud. More importantly there was a ridiculously long wait between the appetizers and the main course...roughly about an hour. Much Much too long. Food was good but my portion was so small it hardly filled me up. This place isn't a bargain so if you are going to pay a premium price you deserve better service from the kitchen. We took part of our entrée home and the waiter threw in a piece of Key Lime pie, which was very nice of him.
- Reliable and TastyAlexKVIPDined on 3/3/2014Went for lunch during the week, so it was pretty quiet. Food was very good, as was service. Looks like it's probably better for dinner. Decor is lively.I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointedjayjayVIPDined on 2/28/2014dined at this restaurant for lunch. the dining room was next to empty and they sat un in a section where we were the only table. the server came to the table only once to take our order and never returned. my friend ordered a lobster roll and it was inedible. the lobster was swimming in mayonnaise and looked so unappetizing. i ordered the steamed mussels. the broth was very sandy. we used to come often to this restaurant but it seems the food has gone downhill. beware!
- FISH SHACK IS A GREAT FINDTwiggyVIPDined on 2/26/2014For reasonably priced, fresh seafood, BLT FISH SHACK is an unpretentious, quality restaurant where you can find all sorts of favorites -- from a BLT with tuna, delicious lobster bisque and clam chowder, either Manhattan or New England, scrumptious and cleanly fried calamari, and mussels, as well as simple broiled fish. For its location -- 17th between 5th and 6th -- it is reasonably priced and without attitude. The only downside is the service, whcih can be slow, especially if the place suddenly becomes crowded. Still, given how many restaurants in this area have their nose in the air, I wouldn't let that prevent me from returning again and again.Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/21/2014Great food and atmosphere! I will be back on my next trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food yes, service nohanknycVIPDined on 1/8/2014kitchen is still excellent, fresh, and quick turnaround. but the young woman who waited on us shouldn't be a waiter anywhere, much less at a BLT establishment. Perky doesn't make up for forgetting the drink order, screwing up the food order, and then being generally AWOL for the rest of the meal.
- The service was below average,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/3/2014The service was below average, especially when the restaurant was not even half full. Do not order the peel and eat shrimp for an appetizer as they were bland and served warm.
- Attractive restaurantArtfuleaterDined on 12/27/2013Menu was diverse. I chose fish tacos that they offered to grill instead of fry. The fish was cod, and was pretty flavorful. It came with three amply filled and tasty soft flour tacos. Service slightly too pushy to order more sides. One 'no thank you' from a customer usually means the menu was completely reviewed, and choices are to be respected as final. All-in-all a very pleasant restaurant experience. We ate downstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like an oceanside fish shackNicknameVIPDined on 12/22/2013Like an oceanside fish shack in menu as well as decor, BLT Fish Shack lives up to its ambitions. By no means is it a transporting culinary experience, but as a basic fish--and-chips-or-lobster-roll emporium, the joint will serve nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gooddyb1Dined on 11/16/2013I continue to enjoy the vibe at BLT Fish Shack. I love a good dive and this high end one is fun and there are no specific complaints except the food was a bore. Too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- if fish is for youcappyDined on 11/11/2013We've been going to this restaurant for years. The food is great. The staff is lovely. If you like oysters then that's the place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual seafood restaurantNicknameVIPDined on 10/27/2013Casual seafood restaurant with very good dishes that tries with a good deal of success to recreate the ambience of an oceanside fish shack. Not haute but satisfying.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh, fresh, freshjwnyc3VIPDined on 10/4/2013You can get a dozen bivalves or a piece of grilled fish anywhere on this island. Here, though, you can choose from two long columns of oysters (east coast & west coast). And whatever you order tastes like it jumped out of the sea. Even the lobster roll is good (hint: fresh lobster, fresh herbs). It's a happy friendly place for a date too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been there many, many times.....nevDrBobVIPDined on 10/4/2013Been there many, many times.....never disapponts. Very solid. Fish prepared perfectly, and the mussels are delicious.Special Features:
- Like the name says, it's lunchNicknameVIPDined on 9/28/2013Like the name says, it's lunch or dinner in an ersatz fish shack. The food is similar to what you might find at a casual fish house in Maine. Nothing fancy, nothing precious, just good straightforward seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodProfessorDined on 9/27/2013The fish was cooked to perfection, and the portions are substantial.. The service was very good. The downstairs part is casual and can be quite noisy when full but come for the food. Earlier this year, I had a meal in the upstairs dining room, and that was outstanding. The waiter was especially good and added to our most pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliableMJP60VIPDined on 9/26/2013My go to place when I can't think, and it never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BLT Fish Shack is as goodNicknameVIPDined on 9/1/2013BLT Fish Shack is as good as it needs to be. The food and service aren't pretentious, yet the seafood is fresh and tastes are reminiscent of seacoast lobster pounds. Don't expect haute cuisine and you're likely to find your meal wholly satisfactory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I brought my girlfriend toOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2013I brought my girlfriend to this resturant to celebrate two things. My bday and her Masters course acceptance. I requested on Open Table to have to two glasses of champagne when we got to the table, that didnt happen. The waitress got my girlfriends wine wrong twice. The food was decent. We ordered desert and it didnt come for over 20 minutes. Even the group next to us were compalining about the wait. As far as the food it was fine but the service was very shaky. Personally i wouldnt go back if its a one on one date. A group may be different but i would say it was not what te reviews said it was.
- Go for the foodmeettDined on 8/22/2013The food was delicious--both from the usual menu and the specials. Be sure the menu suits you as it is very much a "fish shack" menu. On my most recent visit, the noise level was so high as to make conversation difficult--but go for the food, not the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun. Good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/7/2013Great seafood. Fun atmosphere. Always a little warm and a bit noisy.
- A disappointing experiencealice69VIPDined on 8/5/2013All the fish dishes were delicious and exactly as you would expect. Service was poor -- some starters and main courses arrived at the same time. Waiter made no attempt to remove the main courses until we pointed out they would be cold by the time we finished our starters. Took forever to get drinks. We would have double the amount of beers and wine if they hadn't taken so long. A disappointing experience.I would recommend this to a friend.