BLT Fish Shack
21 West 17th Street
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
BLT Fish Shack
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.e2hospitality.com/blt-fish-new-york/
- Phone: 2126918888x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Luke Venner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from BLT Fish Shack
Visit the BLT Fish Shack and relax like a true sailor. A raw bar boasts ten varieties of shellfish including periwinkles, clams and oysters while other specialties include a luscious clam chowder and Shack staples like crispy Fish and Chips. And don"t miss our stellar lobster roll, which will transport you straight to the seashore.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
BLT Fish Shack reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (14)neighborhood gem (11)great for lunch (11)good for groups (9)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (4)romantic (4)hot spot (4)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (2)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Good food and servicechickVIPDined on 10/18/2014Very nice place, food and service are both very very good. Quality of seafood is excellent.Special Features:
- Different than BLT FishshadowDined on 10/6/2014We thought we were going to BLT Fish, turns out BLT Fish Shack is different. The food was acceptable, but not great. We liked the calamari a lot!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014We where on the 5th at BLT...SUCH À DISAPOINTMENT We always ordre the display with crab clams hoyster...... No longer qualité ,the size of oysters was really small, the freshness of crab was so so , we fell really disapointed,we use to recomend that place , but no longer The value was not goodSpecial Features:
- Average food!!PeterSVIPDined on 10/4/2014The food needs improvement. Too much salt in all the food.
- NicknameVIPDined on 9/30/2014I have nothing to complain about after a recent Fish Shack dinner, but I have nothing to rave about either. The food seems to have taken a turn for mediocrity since a previous visit. The fish-shack ambiance is still pleasant enough, but the food was no better than at the average NYC diner. Good enough, but barely.
- Relaxed seafood restaurantFoodieVIPDined on 9/26/2014We went there for a relaxed Friday evening dinner and got seated right away. If you like seafood it's a great choice. The wine list is separated per prices, which are more than reasonable. If you prefer the fish and chips, choose the fish sandwich instead. Trust me, you won't regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKcfoodieVIPDined on 9/22/2014It was OK. the service was slow. The Oysters were Ok and the Alaskan crablegs were below par. im not running back here.
- More Slaw Please!Love2eatDined on 9/22/2014We had lunch recently. Great service. Yummy lobster roll but too many fries (which were delicious) and not enough coleslaw. Also learn how to make Bloody Caesars with clamato juice. They're great with seafood! We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MimiDined on 9/20/2014Limited menu but very well prepared. Fish seasoned and cooked to perfection. Excellent service. Loud music made conversation difficult.
- MediocremugirlVIPDined on 9/12/2014Over-dressed sandwiches and fish tacos...felt like entire staff were bus boys filling in...all.the furniture and walls need revamping, place looks like it needs a good scrub and a design overhaul.Special Features:
- Upstairs used to be betterJerryDined on 9/6/2014Since closing the more serious upstairs room, BLT fish shack now belongs in the same category as any lobster bar in town, no better and no worse. The meal was made from very good quality ingredients correctly cooked, but in terms of creativity and flair the prep was on a par with what my wife and I do at home on an average weeknight. A good option if you're nearby and don't feel like cleaning up afterward. It reminded us of some places we frequent on Cape Cod -- the kind with a malt vinegar bottle on every table. I suppose that's what the owners are aiming at.
- overpiced mediocre foodbkfoodieDined on 9/6/2014even coming back from nantucket and martha's vineyard, where prices for seafood are high, this place has absurd process for simple seafood. $14 for 3 oysters and 3 clams? decent chowder and a passable lobster roll, though they over toasted my bun which is a bummer. it's too bad b/c seafood in the city seems either to be very high end (esca, le bernadin) or just lousy and expensive like this place. guess i'll just wait till I'm on vacation again to hit up a an actual fish shack.
- Okay foodLuv2eatDined on 8/25/2014The appetizers, crab dip, peel & eat shrimp, and the baked clams were delicious. However, the lobster roll and the salmon entree were nothing to rave about. My salmon was very dry, which I had ordered at medium.Special Features:
- Very disappointing.2LBdiningDined on 8/13/2014Food was very average a best. Peel and eat shrimp was the best thing we had. Ordered cod which was raw in the middle sent it back was nicely replated but still undercooked. Service was OK but trying to rush us. Just not good. Really surprised so highly rated. Would not go back or recommend.
- Nice SpotFood4ThghtDined on 8/1/2014I had a great fish dinner late on Friday. Food and drinks were great. Definitely would recommend to others. The service was excellent!Special Features:
- Fresh fish pub feelingCliffhouseDined on 7/16/2014Fish was fresh and good but the presentation was poor. Bit pricey for what they gave you. OK if you want a quick in and out, not for dining. Better experience upstairs but much more $$$$$$$.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhilTDined on 7/9/2014Wonderfully simple seafood and great value. Always very tasty. Very good for the very young through under 30s.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was good with a but or twoShozgirlVIPDined on 7/3/2014Unfortunately for them the place is covered in scaffolding and construction noise buzzed through the walls. We sat in the window hoping for a quiet conversation. Inquired what "topneck" clams , was told they were large size. Later came to be told they only had small cherrystones which were not even on menu but OK, instead of 6 big ones give us 12 small (and they were very tiny small like for pasta) ones. I forgot to check the bill. The main issue was tiny table and they brought the clams then 5 mins later the salad AND the mussels which I suppose technically are all apps. But there was literally no room on table for them and we wouldnt have wanted the hot mussels until we finished all else. They didn't ask, nor take away and we endured it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehJad729Dined on 7/1/2014I'd been here several times before, but the last time was over a year ago. The overall quality of the food was not what I remembered, that's for sure. My appetizer and main dish were ok, that's all. Certainly. It good enough to justify the prices. My wife ordered a manhattan clam chowder that was inedible. The restaurant didn't charge us for that dish, at least. I would not recommend, nor will I return.
- Nice lunch spotLoveGoodFoodDined on 7/1/2014Food was very good, there is a good assortment of fish and shellfish. I had the fish sandwich and it was excellent. Service was pleasant but a bit slow at the beginning, but when we asked for the bill it was there in seconds. I'd recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 145 reviews are from the BLT Fish Shack reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014Food was over seasoned. Restaurant so noisy could not carry on a conversation.
- Fine Fishjmc712Dined on 5/31/2014Great spot for fish in Chelsea for pre/post off B'way theaters in area or if you've just strolled or are about to stroll the High Line. We prefer the fish shack to the upstairs restaurant but both are excellent. Great staff vey helpful in accommodating special requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/23/2014We went for lunch and were very happy with the experience. Food, service and ambiance all were very good indeed.Special Features:
- Food preparation needs improvementCarolbDined on 4/14/2014It's a lovely place, great service. But the oysters were sloppily shucked, and the fish served to me and my companion was unevenly cooked. Otherwise the food was fine. It is too expensive to tolerate these mistakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BLT (lost is name recognition)TWENVIPDined on 4/12/2014Don't waste a night out here. went out , four of us, not one had a decent meal. i wouldn't give the food 1 star,
- Gone downhill?AnonymousVIPDined on 3/30/2014I've been to BLT Fish Shack more times than I can count. It's never amazing but always good. I don't know if they had an off night or they're on the way down but the service was abominable (after over an hour-no apology for the wait/update/check-in by staff- of desperately distracting a starving four year old, the food finally came and my fish was raw inside). The food was less than satisfactory all around- the raw bar dishes were tasty but such small portions it was absurd and the cooked food wasn't good but I was forced to eat it because I was starving after the raw bar. Won't soon be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was delicious all theBrookeVIPDined on 3/27/2014Food was delicious all the seafood was very fresh. Loved the oysters, shrimp cocktail and key lime pie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The seafood at BLT Fish ShackNicknameVIPDined on 3/20/2014The seafood at BLT Fish Shack is hit-or-miss -- more often hit but not consistently. The restaurant has a sort of raffish charm, and prices are moderate. Don't expect anything special and you should have a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfied w/ a capital "S"DeeRod84Dined on 3/15/2014My wife and I were in the mood for good seafood and nice decor. BLT Fish Shack executed on both accounts. All the food (from the oysters, to the brussel sprouts with bacon to the salmon) was perfectly cooked and super delicious. The shack had the feel of a mom & pop restaurant in Cape Cod with a NYC twist. I would most definitely go back to dine again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh.jenivirgoVIPDined on 3/9/2014We happened to be in the neighborhood on a Sunday and decided to check out BLT Fish for something simple. They have a pretty extensive list of wines, but the waiter, who seemed more like a kitchen guy had a harder time pronouncing them than we did. He also wasn't able to properly explain the entree I ordered, so when it arrived, it was tasty, but nothing like he said. The food was okay, but nothing special. Unless you want a plain piece of sauteed fish, they serve mostly lunch fare. And I assume in that neighborhood, that's when they do the best business business lunch and post-work cocktails. Going early on a Sunday evening, probably isn't going to reveal their A game.
- Good Food But--JohnnyCVIPDined on 3/7/2014So noisy on a Friday I could not enjoy the meal. Music much too loud. More importantly there was a ridiculously long wait between the appetizers and the main course...roughly about an hour. Much Much too long. Food was good but my portion was so small it hardly filled me up. This place isn't a bargain so if you are going to pay a premium price you deserve better service from the kitchen. We took part of our entrée home and the waiter threw in a piece of Key Lime pie, which was very nice of him.
- Reliable and TastyAlexKVIPDined on 3/3/2014Went for lunch during the week, so it was pretty quiet. Food was very good, as was service. Looks like it's probably better for dinner. Decor is lively.I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointedjayjayVIPDined on 2/28/2014dined at this restaurant for lunch. the dining room was next to empty and they sat un in a section where we were the only table. the server came to the table only once to take our order and never returned. my friend ordered a lobster roll and it was inedible. the lobster was swimming in mayonnaise and looked so unappetizing. i ordered the steamed mussels. the broth was very sandy. we used to come often to this restaurant but it seems the food has gone downhill. beware!
- FISH SHACK IS A GREAT FINDTwiggyVIPDined on 2/26/2014For reasonably priced, fresh seafood, BLT FISH SHACK is an unpretentious, quality restaurant where you can find all sorts of favorites -- from a BLT with tuna, delicious lobster bisque and clam chowder, either Manhattan or New England, scrumptious and cleanly fried calamari, and mussels, as well as simple broiled fish. For its location -- 17th between 5th and 6th -- it is reasonably priced and without attitude. The only downside is the service, whcih can be slow, especially if the place suddenly becomes crowded. Still, given how many restaurants in this area have their nose in the air, I wouldn't let that prevent me from returning again and again.Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/21/2014Great food and atmosphere! I will be back on my next trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food yes, service nohanknycVIPDined on 1/8/2014kitchen is still excellent, fresh, and quick turnaround. but the young woman who waited on us shouldn't be a waiter anywhere, much less at a BLT establishment. Perky doesn't make up for forgetting the drink order, screwing up the food order, and then being generally AWOL for the rest of the meal.
- The service was below average,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/3/2014The service was below average, especially when the restaurant was not even half full. Do not order the peel and eat shrimp for an appetizer as they were bland and served warm.
- Attractive restaurantArtfuleaterDined on 12/27/2013Menu was diverse. I chose fish tacos that they offered to grill instead of fry. The fish was cod, and was pretty flavorful. It came with three amply filled and tasty soft flour tacos. Service slightly too pushy to order more sides. One 'no thank you' from a customer usually means the menu was completely reviewed, and choices are to be respected as final. All-in-all a very pleasant restaurant experience. We ate downstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like an oceanside fish shackNicknameVIPDined on 12/22/2013Like an oceanside fish shack in menu as well as decor, BLT Fish Shack lives up to its ambitions. By no means is it a transporting culinary experience, but as a basic fish--and-chips-or-lobster-roll emporium, the joint will serve nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gooddyb1Dined on 11/16/2013I continue to enjoy the vibe at BLT Fish Shack. I love a good dive and this high end one is fun and there are no specific complaints except the food was a bore. Too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.