BLT Fish Shack
21 West 17th Street
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
BLT Fish Shack
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.e2hospitality.com/blt-fish-new-york/
- Phone: (212) 691-8888
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Luke Venner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from BLT Fish Shack
Visit the BLT Fish Shack and relax like a true sailor. A raw bar boasts ten varieties of shellfish including periwinkles, clams and oysters while other specialties include a luscious clam chowder and Shack staples like crispy Fish and Chips. And don"t miss our stellar lobster roll, which will transport you straight to the seashore.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
BLT Fish Shack reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (11)neighborhood gem (11)great for lunch (9)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (4)romantic (3)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great food and atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/21/2014Great food and atmosphere! I will be back on my next trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food yes, service nohanknycVIPDined on 1/8/2014kitchen is still excellent, fresh, and quick turnaround. but the young woman who waited on us shouldn't be a waiter anywhere, much less at a BLT establishment. Perky doesn't make up for forgetting the drink order, screwing up the food order, and then being generally AWOL for the rest of the meal.
- The service was below average,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/3/2014The service was below average, especially when the restaurant was not even half full. Do not order the peel and eat shrimp for an appetizer as they were bland and served warm.
- Attractive restaurantArtfuleaterDined on 12/27/2013Menu was diverse. I chose fish tacos that they offered to grill instead of fry. The fish was cod, and was pretty flavorful. It came with three amply filled and tasty soft flour tacos. Service slightly too pushy to order more sides. One 'no thank you' from a customer usually means the menu was completely reviewed, and choices are to be respected as final. All-in-all a very pleasant restaurant experience. We ate downstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like an oceanside fish shackNicknameVIPDined on 12/22/2013Like an oceanside fish shack in menu as well as decor, BLT Fish Shack lives up to its ambitions. By no means is it a transporting culinary experience, but as a basic fish--and-chips-or-lobster-roll emporium, the joint will serve nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gooddyb1Dined on 11/16/2013I continue to enjoy the vibe at BLT Fish Shack. I love a good dive and this high end one is fun and there are no specific complaints except the food was a bore. Too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- if fish is for youcappyDined on 11/11/2013We've been going to this restaurant for years. The food is great. The staff is lovely. If you like oysters then that's the place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual seafood restaurantNicknameVIPDined on 10/27/2013Casual seafood restaurant with very good dishes that tries with a good deal of success to recreate the ambience of an oceanside fish shack. Not haute but satisfying.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh, fresh, freshjwnyc3VIPDined on 10/4/2013You can get a dozen bivalves or a piece of grilled fish anywhere on this island. Here, though, you can choose from two long columns of oysters (east coast & west coast). And whatever you order tastes like it jumped out of the sea. Even the lobster roll is good (hint: fresh lobster, fresh herbs). It's a happy friendly place for a date too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been there many, many times.....nevDrBobVIPDined on 10/4/2013Been there many, many times.....never disapponts. Very solid. Fish prepared perfectly, and the mussels are delicious.Special Features:
- Like the name says, it's lunchNicknameVIPDined on 9/28/2013Like the name says, it's lunch or dinner in an ersatz fish shack. The food is similar to what you might find at a casual fish house in Maine. Nothing fancy, nothing precious, just good straightforward seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodProfessorDined on 9/27/2013The fish was cooked to perfection, and the portions are substantial.. The service was very good. The downstairs part is casual and can be quite noisy when full but come for the food. Earlier this year, I had a meal in the upstairs dining room, and that was outstanding. The waiter was especially good and added to our most pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliableMJP60VIPDined on 9/26/2013My go to place when I can't think, and it never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BLT Fish Shack is as goodNicknameVIPDined on 9/1/2013BLT Fish Shack is as good as it needs to be. The food and service aren't pretentious, yet the seafood is fresh and tastes are reminiscent of seacoast lobster pounds. Don't expect haute cuisine and you're likely to find your meal wholly satisfactory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I brought my girlfriend toOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2013I brought my girlfriend to this resturant to celebrate two things. My bday and her Masters course acceptance. I requested on Open Table to have to two glasses of champagne when we got to the table, that didnt happen. The waitress got my girlfriends wine wrong twice. The food was decent. We ordered desert and it didnt come for over 20 minutes. Even the group next to us were compalining about the wait. As far as the food it was fine but the service was very shaky. Personally i wouldnt go back if its a one on one date. A group may be different but i would say it was not what te reviews said it was.
- Go for the foodmeettDined on 8/22/2013The food was delicious--both from the usual menu and the specials. Be sure the menu suits you as it is very much a "fish shack" menu. On my most recent visit, the noise level was so high as to make conversation difficult--but go for the food, not the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun. Good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/7/2013Great seafood. Fun atmosphere. Always a little warm and a bit noisy.
- A disappointing experiencealice69VIPDined on 8/5/2013All the fish dishes were delicious and exactly as you would expect. Service was poor -- some starters and main courses arrived at the same time. Waiter made no attempt to remove the main courses until we pointed out they would be cold by the time we finished our starters. Took forever to get drinks. We would have double the amount of beers and wine if they hadn't taken so long. A disappointing experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you visit a fish shack,NicknameVIPDined on 8/3/2013If you visit a fish shack, you don't expect pretension -- you won't find it at BLT Fish Shack. Still, the restaurant's food is good, and its service is unfussy. BLT Fish Shack does a good job of presenting a plain, ultra-casual seafood meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a Blast!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/1/2013The service was amazing! I attended with my family to celebrate my brothers college graduation. The manager stopped by our table 2x to assure we were having an enjoyable experience, he was gracious & polite. The flounder was cooked to perfection, appetizers were on point.. just an overall well worth the bill kind of meal. The Bar area does make it a bit noisy, but for us that added to the energy. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Happy Birthday, Ray!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2013I took my boyfriend for an early dinner and, while he's not much for eating out, loved it! The service is great, yet, not intrusive. The food amazing, location is perfect to the subway and the music is nice but not blasting your ears out... Eat something;)Special Features:
- Great casual affordableScottDined on 7/11/2013Lunch spot in union square. Perfect for a business mtg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find for Seafood and Raw BarJanWVIPDined on 7/6/2013A welcome respite for dinner on steamy summer evening – a real find that we did not know existed. The service was great and the seafood was flavorful, fresh and nicely presented. The Fish Shack on street level is informal but we checked out the formal restaurant on the 3rd floor - beautiful. The second floor is for private-party events and is an amazing space. We definitely will return to try other options on the appealing menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingTANOVIPDined on 6/11/2013With a name like BLT Fish Shack you would think the fish selection would be complete with soy shell crabs when in season and that the food would be awesome. No. Not true. As a big fan of BLT establishments this one is not great.
- Good seafood, attentive serviceSmoothDined on 5/28/2013Food was well prepared. Service was attentive but a bit over-solicitous and the upsell a little heavy ("shall I do that for the table?" which meant providing multiple portions) Wine list is very heavily weighted to triple-digit wines, and wine steward consistently recommended a wine $5 above the ceiling I requested.
- Nice entrees, good value forhappyVIPDined on 5/26/2013Nice entrees, good value for your money. Very friendly staff.Special Features:
- Great for a casual fish meal QuietJoodyDined on 5/26/2013Great for a casual fish meal Quiet as it was Memorial day weekendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to be.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/2/2013I've been a BLT Fish Shack loyalist since it opened but the minor changes over the years have finally culminated into a situation where I just won't go there anymore or recommend it to friends. Service was beyond slow on a not-full-house night, cocktails and appetizers were ordered and served way too slowly, portions were meager despite high prices ($12 -$14 for a tiny cocktail that was mostly ice??), quality was iffy and cooking instructions were blatantly ignored (how hard is it to cook fresh salmon without sprinkling salt on it?). Worth repeating - portion sizes have grown way too small and the passionate, fun, personable staff of yesteryear have all moved on. This place is a corporate gimmick.Special Features:
- Menza MenzaManhattanFoodieDined on 4/26/2013Underwhelmed. Maybe we hit it on an off night, although it was a Friday. The food was average, we expected better considering the how high the Bill was for two drinks each one appetizer, and two entrees. The 1/2 dozen Blue Points to start were excellent, but the highly touted Lobster Roll, was "eh" - way to seasoned with chive or cilantro - I cant recall exactly what the herb was - but way too much whatever it was. The Salmon was nothing of nothing - marginally tasteful, definitely had better in less 'hyped' restaurants. Perhaps we should have ventured upstairs and tried our luck there.Special Features:
- SPECIAL SOFT SHELL CRAB TACOSPhilKeaneDined on 4/24/2013SPECIAL SOFT SHELL CRAB TACOS WERE A LITTLE SPICEY BUT OTHERWISE PERFECTLY COOKED. FISH IN FISH AND CHIPS WAS FRESH IF A LITTLE SKIMPY IN SIZE AND CHIPS PRETTY DARNED GOOD.Special Features:
- The only good thing here isOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/11/2013The only good thing here is the decor. The hostess was impatient with questions from customers. The mussels were subpar--a piece I had tasted fishy.
- food was great as always,OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/26/2013food was great as always, but the wait staff seemed to be glorified runners covering tables
- A Very Ordinary Fish RestaurantMeticulousDined on 3/23/2013BLT Fish Shack is quite ordinary when it comes to their prepared fish dinners. The crab cakes offered as an appetizer are not of the lump crab meat variety - a distinctive taste of corn meal/bread crumbs. The lighting is so dim you will need a flashlight to read the menu.Special Features:
- The food was good, the oystersOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/20/2013The food was good, the oysters were fresh. The servers were attentive. Overall, a good dining experience.Special Features:
- Great food. Nice space. TooOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/15/2013Great food. Nice space. Too noisy for me with loud music (never had this problem here before) and the lighting was too dark.Special Features:
- A special celebration.....GrandmaVIPDined on 3/15/2013We were warmly greeted and seated quickly. The staff was professional and very friendly and attentive. We were "treated" to glasses of champagne for our celebration - my birthday and my co- workers 20th work asnniversary - which was arraged via my office only moments before our arrival. We both had fabulous fresh oysters - the waiter was very knowledgeable about their taste and origins- and then we each had lobsters which were delicious! I was then presented with a slice of bday cake- carrot- with a candle - very festive! We had cappuccino which was hot and wonderful- a fabulous way to celebrate a special day for the 2 of us! Many thnaks!Special Features:
- One of my favorites!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/3/2013What can I say, I love this place! Waitstaff is always so kind! The food is consistently great, and the menu offers a wide variety. I also love the relaxed, nautical ambiance. Looking forward to my next trip to BLT Fish Shack!Special Features:
- Beer Week dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/3/2013We were here for the dinner under the Beer Week; it was a 3-course dinner with beer pairings; OUTSTANDING! The garlic"bun is a MUST. The beer + food pairings were a first for me and made me appreciate beer under a new perspective!Special Features:
- Very noisy but a fun relaxedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/22/2013Very noisy but a fun relaxed environment. Food is excellent. Even my friend from Rhode Island who is a raw bar/seafood afficianado gave it a "2 thumbs up"
- We were one of the few tablesOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/20/2013We were one of the few tables in the restaurant that was replete with wait staff - but no one paid attention to us. We were both shocked at the server to customer ratio & the fact we couldn't catch anyone's eye to ask for pepper, a coffee and the check. Atmosphere was depressing & with all the other options around - I will never go back nor will I recommend it.