Blowfish Sushi - SF
2170 Bryant Street
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Blowfish Sushi - SF
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blowfishsushi.com/
- Phone: 4152853848
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday- Tuesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday- Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Happy Hour: Monday- Friday: 5:00pm- 7:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary Asian, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Ritsuo Tsuchida
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Blowfish Sushi can catering all kinds of fun, casual or elegant events. Anyone can make quite an impression on their guests with are elegant sushi displays and decor. On-site sushi chefs are available upon request. Let Blowfish Sushi make your event shine!
- Entertainment: We show all the sporting events! Whenever football is on, we have discounts at the bar! Live DJ's every Wednesday! Go Giants
- Special Events: On & Off site catering for ANY event! The possibility's are endless!
- Cross Street: 19th & 20th
- Public Transit: Bus #27 stops at Bryant and 20th. Bus #22 & #33 stops at Bryant and 16th.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We are located at 2170 Bryant St. between 19th and 20th in the Mission District of San Francisco. You are able to park on Bryant or surrounding blocks.
A word from Blowfish Sushi - SF
Blowfish Sushi is an eclectic sushi bar and restaurant that serves both modern and traditional sushi, and sashimi, as well as salads, cooked appetizers and special desserts. The menu style is Asian Fusion and emphasizes clean, pure healthy foods. We have an extensive list of imported sakes and our own original line of sake cocktails. Our upbeat and unforgettable atmosphere is one of a kind, creating an atmosphere of excitement. Our restaurant and sound system have been specially created to give the impression of "feeling the sound" while allowing conversation to be acoustically transparent. We continuously show Japanese animation films for your viewing pleasure. Colorful original production cells, used in the making of various Anime feature films, decorate the walls. These cartoon images are considered an art form in Japan and are extremely popular in many countries. Come Eat to the Beat! Blowfish Sushi.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Blowfish Sushi - SF - Best Restaurants in Mission ›
Blowfish Sushi - SF reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (57)neighborhood gem (56)hot spot (40)good for groups (37)special occasion (30)vibrant bar scene (22)romantic (14)late-night find (13)great for lunch (11)notable wine list (5)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Always a great experience.MarcatnVIPDined on 8/24/2014Blowfish is a always fun and has amazing dishes. Love the pyramid and the crazy Oyster Shooters in the Russian roulette.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It fine was.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014This spot was super fun. I loved the music. The food and service were all right. It was super fun spot so I will go again but it isn't my favorite sushi spot in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushiMaggieSFDined on 8/23/2014This place is not only a family gem but has really great sushi, service, and a fun ambiance!!!! This restaurant should be on everyone's list to try!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014My friends and I came into the city to celebrate a birthday and we had a wonderful time at this restaurant-great food -great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, Service...not so muchRayCVIPDined on 8/23/2014We were seated at the sushi counter which I actually like so you can see the food being prepared. Took a while for the waiter to come over and take our drink and food order. We ordered two more rounds of drinks from other random staff because we never saw our waiter until it was time to get the bill. Oh well.Special Features:
- Great sushiAngelicaDined on 8/22/2014Had a fabulous time. We had the sashimi combination... the big one. Fantastically fresh fish! Loved the pyramid appetizer, too. I wouldn't recommend the To Die For... It sounds like it should be great, but it fell short in my opinion. Not nearly as good as the Dragon Roll! do not skip the dragon roll... The waiter was friendly and continually checked back to see how we were doing and also gave good recommendations when we asked him for them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendliest Sushi Bar in SFOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014I couldn't believe how awesomely accommodating and friendly everyone at Blowfish was on my two dinners there this week. My new favorite go-to-spot for a late night sake or sushi fix with 1-6 friends.Special Features:
- Flawless foodK8atuDined on 8/21/2014I am now what I would consider a regular here, traveling out from the East Bay just to munch here. Stellar food, and great service. Give it a go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still holds its ownYelpyVIPDined on 8/15/2014I haven't been to Blowfish in several years so it was great to see it still holds its own among all the other hip sushi contenders in SFSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- five starsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014absolutely delicious, get the tuna tar tar pyramid!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still great after so many years!NedaNDined on 8/13/2014Last time I was here was in the late 90s. After moving back to the Bay Area last Sept, I have tried every sushi bar anyone has recommended but haven't found one yet that stands up to LA standards!!! Blowfish was by far the best sushi yet. The atmosphere is as hip as I remembered. Service was great and the Samurai Margaritas were fantastic. I would definitely go back. Nice to see some things remain the same over the years like your favorite sushi bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- all presentationtt33Dined on 8/12/2014We were not particularly impressed with the sushi. The presentation of the food was very elaborate, with dry ice vapor pouring out over the bowl containing the sashimi. However, the food itself was not very good. The fish was a little mushy, and a bit of a let down. We wouldn't go there again.
- Great for our large dinner!stungDined on 8/8/2014Reserved for 21 people and the manager was able to put together a good sampling of their menu for our desired per-head price range. Food was some of the best and most unique sushi we have ever had and presented in really cool ways. Definitely skews toward a slightly younger crowd with anime and daft punk music but even grandpa had a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!MaryVIPDined on 8/8/2014You want good sushi? GO HERE. Absolutely GREAT and the staff is very knowlegeable and happy to help with anything you need to decide on. Cocktails are also excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A simple sous chefs review..OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2014I came in kinda late ready to spend big though. We ordered high end everything. First thing to hit the table was the food. I wish I had a sip of that hibiki that I ordered almost 20 min in a rocks whiskey Food was great coming from an oyster restaurant none of the oysters had any liquor. Disappointed for I feel they were pre shucked. The sushichefs still got it going on. That's why I love this place. Loved the chef inspires dishes. Inventive and playful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place510foodieDined on 7/28/2014Blowfish is always a smash success. Delicious dishes you can have each time you go, and special occasion dishes ( what's the one with the dry ice? Awesome. ) too. The drinks are innovative and delicious too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent sushi!!YummmDined on 7/26/2014We came in as a party of 8 on a very busy Saturday night. Our server was wonderful, she handled a vibrant table quite well & was incredibly attentive. Truly a fantastic experience & the food was over the top delicious!! No left overs at all~ Thank you Blow Fish for treating us so wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceMichiganTiffDined on 7/23/2014The food and service was wonderful. There was a DJ spinning in the background that pumped up the atmosphere. This is a great place for excellent food, service, and a lively atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatmdfoodieDined on 7/22/2014Enjoyed a meal here. Sushi was good, and in some cases inventive. Highlight was a prawn dish that looked like a work of art. Nigiri was good, but not great. Sticky rice wasn't er...sticky. Fish was fresh with good selection, but not that "melt in your mouth" type sushi that I've had at other SF restaurants. Space was vibrant, with a DJ spinning music, but not distracting at all. Good crowd for a Monday night...brisk business. Wine list was limited but decent.Special Features:
- Wow!UptownGirlDined on 7/20/2014We really enjoyed dining here. The food was of very high quality, very fresh. They prepare both some standard type offerings, as well as items that took one out of the realm of the ordinary. Imaginative and harmonious without being weird. Every dish the 5 of us at the table tried was worth having again, but the yellowtail sashimi sent my brother and me into paroxysms of delight. (Well almost.) They also have a variety of cooked dishes.Special Features:
- My favorite sushi place in SF.CaliChris1VIPDined on 7/19/2014Make sure you try the garlic edamame. All of the custom rolls are amazing and the sashimi is always so fresh. Been here so many times and always leave happy and satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great--wish we weren't in a rush!akobre01Dined on 7/8/2014My girlfriend and I went to this restaurant before she had to catch her plane. The sushi was really good; we got the pyramid of tartare which was very tasty and a few special rolls which were both delicious and interesting. The place was pretty full and had a really interesting vibe: very cool/colorful artwork and were playing electronic music (not what you'd expect for sushi). Unfortunately we had to rush so we didn't get to spend as much time there as we would have liked. The server was very friendly and helped a lot however it did take a while for the food to come (perhaps if we were in a rush this wouldn't have mattered to us). I would definitely return and recommend this restaurant--we had a great time!Special Features:
- Pyramid is a must havelocalDined on 7/5/2014You just haven't lived until you've tried the sashimi pyramid!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing sushitrumpetDined on 6/27/2014I have come to blowfish for many years. The sushi used to be top-notch. Last night I'm afraid the food was really disappointing. Kind of gross. They are charging A-1 prices but serving sub-par fish. The steak tartar was a great idea, presented poorly. Looked tired. Tasted ok but was kind of a mess. The chicken was good. I might come back for a drink but never again for dinner.
- Great lunch bentoEnjoyDined on 6/26/2014I always enjoy the lunch combo bento. Sashimi & teriyaki are usually good choices. But this time the teriyaki glaze was too salty for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downward SpiralOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 6/22/2014This restaurant is no longer an option for sushi and a full bar. As we walked into the restaurant the smell of dirty towels permeated each table. We arrived around 6:45 p.m. with probably 6 tables seated. Took over 20 minutes for someone to take our order. Our waitress did offer us free miso soup to appease us (wow! 25 cents net cost to the restaurant). Food was okay and had some weird timing issues. The sushi didn't arrive until 15 minutes after appetizers were completed. I've given this place enough chances and I hate to say that this is my last time I'm ever eat here. Goodbye Pyramid Tower! You were the only reason I still gave this place a shot!
- Not the Best Sushidms10VIPDined on 6/19/2014Disappointing across the board- haven't been here in a while but don't think I'll be back
- Blowfish Blows!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/19/2014It's a great place to go to with a group, large or small. The variety of sushi they provide is unparalleled, with all sorts of wild combinations. We simply asked our server to provide a great variety of sushi and sashimi. She gave us a wide range of delicious things and we all had a great time. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Best sushi I have ever eaten but ..bigfan1Dined on 6/11/2014The food is amazing- melt in your mouth sushi, beautifully presented, incredible flavors, great cocktails. However the music was too loud and not pleasant to listen to. The place is packed and small so tables are on top of one another. We couldn't help but overhear the entire inappropriate conversation next to us. Our last 2 orders took so long to arrive that we canceled them. The waitress was fantastic, but spread too thin. So if you have plenty of time and patience, and like an edgy scene with a DJ and loud music, then this is your place. I would go back, only because the food is so amazing. I might bring ear plugs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkTeresaDined on 6/9/2014The food was good (at least the food I received was good. The waitress didn't bring everything we ordered) but too loud for dining conversation. I don't think I'd go back. There is better sushi at the same or lower price point.Special Features:
- Great Sushi + Upbeat VibeSunsetGirl87Dined on 6/5/2014I came here with a friend for Dine-About-Town. I was surprised their menu included chirashi for one of the entree choices (usually $28 item alone) as well as their famous ritsu roll, and an amazing green tea cheesecake topped with green tea ice cream. Everything was wonderful with superb presentation. I also had the caipirinha with lychee which I highly recommend and the fiery roll was good too. The DJ was playing great beats (dance club music - there's no dance floor to my knowledge, but it's a good place to start the night before going out) Anime playing on the tv screen and psychedelic art. Definitely one of my best sushi finds yet! : )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- abfab dayPatriciaVIPDined on 6/5/2014dine about town prompted my reservatiom here with a friend and we were thrilled with the food and service. Had the speciality tempura coated sushi item on the dine about list and fainted away with joy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a partyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/4/2014We kind of hi-jacked a corner of the restaurant for an evening, but the team at Blowfish were super-cordial, provided extraordinary service and made us all feel quite at home. I was super impressed with the service and always impressed with the food!Special Features:
- Great Value for the lunch bentoEnjoyDined on 5/27/2014The lunch bento box has a good variety of items to choose from. I ordered the beef teriyaki & salmon sashimi that came with soup, salad, rice & gyoza.Special Features:
- Great atmosphereMilipinonDined on 5/22/2014I really enjoyed Blowfish, nice food and great atmosphere. The rolls we tried were very original, with unexpected combinations and twists. I liked having the DJ playing in the background, really made the atmosphere special and fun for a Thursday night out. Great place to go with friends or large groups.Special Features:
- sageDined on 5/22/2014Had a reservation for 8, but upon arriving they set up for 7, expecting us to squeeze in the 8th on the bench side of the joined tables. What? This is how it went for us throughout the visit. Although the food did not taste too bad and was nicely prepared, it certainly was not filling at all. Like the initial seating arrangement, the food just did not fit the size of our appetites. The ambience was not bad, even had a DJ playing some good mixes. However, overall it was not worth the money. I knew it would be pricey but did not live up to the hype. Next time, I will just stay with my friendly neighborhood sushi restaurant rather then a wannabe high end joint. Forgettable experience.
- yummynellieDined on 5/21/2014Super dynamite roll...is just that. Nice place. The server was knowledgeable and nice. The place had decent music but it was a little loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was getting bad but this was awfulJassinpainDined on 5/16/2014Took over a hour to start getting our order, a hour and a half in we asked again what the hold up was and they forgot to make some if the order. Not we forgot to order or she did not hear is was just not made. 2 hours later we left 250 lighter and still hungry, never go here
- Neighborhood gemMorefoodpleaseVIPDined on 5/15/2014We live just around the corner and it's always a great place to bring friends from out of town, even last minute. The servers are always fantastic and the staple items are always something to look forward to; pyramid if tartare, toshi koshi roll, hot house sake, Sapporo:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unbelievably GREAT!MaryVIPDined on 5/12/2014First time here for dinner this week with my sister and we were not disappointed. Started with very well made happy hour cocktails ($6!) then dinner...sashimi & rolls. The Tenkomori was my favorite...great tastes/texture & so fresh - Hawaiian walu & hiramasa, tokusei ra-yu, citrus pepper & salmon roe with gokosai radish mix, crispy tempura bits & white truffle oil....AMAZING. Also the spider roll and Tokyo Queen...so good!! Our server (Jane) couldn't have been better - so friendly, knowledgeable, we loved her! On top of excellent, food, drinks & service, the music was a Damien Marley mix on Pandora. The whole evening was awesome. Will defnitely be back... HIGHLY RECOMMEND!Special Features: