Blowfish Sushi - SF
2170 Bryant Street
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Blowfish Sushi - SF
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.blowfishsushi.com/
- Phone: 4152853848
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday- Tuesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday- Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Happy Hour: Monday- Friday: 5:00pm- 7:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary Asian, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Ritsuo Tsuchida
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Blowfish Sushi can catering all kinds of fun, casual or elegant events. Anyone can make quite an impression on their guests with are elegant sushi displays and decor. On-site sushi chefs are available upon request. Let Blowfish Sushi make your event shine!
- Entertainment: We show all the sporting events! Whenever football is on, we have discounts at the bar! Live DJ's every Wednesday! Go Giants
- Special Events: On & Off site catering for ANY event! The possibility's are endless!
- Cross Street: 19th & 20th
- Public Transit: Bus #27 stops at Bryant and 20th. Bus #22 & #33 stops at Bryant and 16th.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We are located at 2170 Bryant St. between 19th and 20th in the Mission District of San Francisco. You are able to park on Bryant or surrounding blocks.
A word from Blowfish Sushi - SF
Blowfish Sushi is an eclectic sushi bar and restaurant that serves both modern and traditional sushi, and sashimi, as well as salads, cooked appetizers and special desserts. The menu style is Asian Fusion and emphasizes clean, pure healthy foods. We have an extensive list of imported sakes and our own original line of sake cocktails. Our upbeat and unforgettable atmosphere is one of a kind, creating an atmosphere of excitement. Our restaurant and sound system have been specially created to give the impression of "feeling the sound" while allowing conversation to be acoustically transparent. We continuously show Japanese animation films for your viewing pleasure. Colorful original production cells, used in the making of various Anime feature films, decorate the walls. These cartoon images are considered an art form in Japan and are extremely popular in many countries. Come Eat to the Beat! Blowfish Sushi.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Blowfish Sushi - SF - Best Restaurants in Mission ›
Blowfish Sushi - SF reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (67)neighborhood gem (62)hot spot (46)good for groups (38)special occasion (36)vibrant bar scene (28)romantic (18)late-night find (12)great for lunch (6)notable wine list (5)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Blowfish sushi is ALWAYS a treat!!MaryannDined on 10/26/2014Took some out of town guests to Blowfish and they LOVED it - food, ambiance, even the SF Giants roll in honor of our home town team. Will definitely be back, again and again. Food is so fresh and creatively done.Special Features:
- It's a gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/22/2014Love Blowfish Sushi and have for years. Great food, great ambiance, super nice people - it's the total package. Love it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blowing it UpNicospeakDined on 10/18/2014Go for the great assortment of unique sushi, stay for the seconds, or thirds, or fourths...Their sushi is a cross between traditional and California style. Not a ton of toppings and sauces, but definitely unique and full of flavor. The wait is a little longer for food and drinks, but worth it.Special Features:
- Yummy food!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014Everything was super tasty. But everything took forever to get ordered and come out. We had an early dinner so it wasn't very packed and should not have taken that long to come out. But the food was so good we would go again! Just don't go if you are in a hurry.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great night out!Mart1606Dined on 10/10/2014The service was lively and fun. The food quite stunning. Added to this the very funky music. A place not for the faint hearted, but if you like great sushi and sashimi and funky, clubby tunes it's the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeToddDined on 10/5/2014I took the wife and our two adult kids here for my birthday. The kids and I love sushi but the wife was on the fence until she tried the to die for roll . This place has converted my wife of 25 years into a sushi lover. Now that's saying something. Give it a try you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some of the Best in the USAJGrayVIPDined on 10/4/2014The sushi here is some of the freshest that we have had in the USA and this restaurant is one of the best sushi places in the bay area that we have tried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi, bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/26/2014The sushi's pretty good at blowfish though it's not my 1st choice (or 2nd or 3rd for that matter). Still, we were able to snag a table on Friday for that very same night (tells you something, right?) and were happy to go. But the server was lackadaisical at best, ambling about with no sense of urgency despite it being a busy night. We had to search for her multiple times -- she went MIA. who knows what was up but she was one of the lamest servers I've had the misfortune of dealing with. Sigh.
- raising the bar for sushiDiBoDined on 9/26/2014I have been coming here for 15 years and Blowfish always manages to blow me away. the food is delicious and beautifully prepared, and the staff are always friendly and professional. wonderful cocktails and amazing sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique sushi rollsDinnerDateVIPDined on 9/21/2014This is not your typical sushi place! Offers delicious and lovely sake cocktails, good sushi grade fish, and very interesting and delicious sushi roll combinations! We always love coming here and try to order at least 1 new dish each time. This time, the shrimp toast, was a great addition to our favorites (dynamite roll, spider roll).Special Features:
- Good, but have had had betterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014Atmosphere was fun and vibrant and the staff was very friendly. I was disappointed at the size of the rolls; smaller than I am used to on the east coast. Veggie tempura was very good. I probably should have ventured into some new sushi territory as the menu was expansive; perhaps next time I will.Special Features:
- Trendy, but priceyNotafoodieDined on 9/20/2014Good, but pricey sushi. Nice presentation. Good background music. The dining area felt a little cramped as if we were close enough to share dishes with neighboring patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated and DisappointingSavukaVIPDined on 9/15/2014My girlfriend and I had not previously tried the legendary Blowfish, and couldn't wait for the occasion to celebrate her birthday. We were shocked and disappointed with the overpriced and surprisingly mediocre sushi. Nothing stood out for us despite Blowfish's stellar reputation, and we decided we far prefer less pretentious and pricy places, eg Ebisu and even Ocean Sushi in Pacifica. Great service, but we were disappointed and will not be back.Special Features:
- sushi remarkableJJPfDined on 9/6/2014Athmosphere and dining go Hand in Hand in BLOWFISH, this is a cool place. The Sushi was the best that we had during our recent trip down the west coast, service is quick and friendly. A Reservation seems to be recommended, it was really packed, the music fun, the seafood fresh. Sushi californian style with a Special Twist to several dishes. Blowfish is always a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedLellaVIPDined on 9/5/2014Went with high expectations as we know the restaurant on Santana Row, San Jose well. Unfortunately not the case. The restaurant is more like a diner. Location not so good, ok if live in the area otherwise a cab ride. Staff much more relaxed and not so attentive. Sat at the raw bar, which was probably best. Chatted with chef preparing sushi. Saving grace was the sushi and black cod marinated in misso.Special Features:
- it's all that they say it is - go!!qtravelDined on 9/3/2014I was recommended Blowfish Sushi by two separate friends. i can only say they were right. As a visitor to San Francisco it was the highlight of the trip. The food is excellent. The service is great and the cocktails are good - what more can you ask for? The waiter gave recommendations with confidence including the cocktails and the pyramid sushi which is amazing and an experience. The quality of the ingredients in particular the seafood such as the kingfish and tuna is excellent.Special Features:
- Always a great experience.MarcatnVIPDined on 8/24/2014Blowfish is a always fun and has amazing dishes. Love the pyramid and the crazy Oyster Shooters in the Russian roulette.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It fine was.DellDined on 8/23/2014This spot was super fun. I loved the music. The food and service were all right. It was super fun spot so I will go again but it isn't my favorite sushi spot in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushiMaggieSFVIPDined on 8/23/2014This place is not only a family gem but has really great sushi, service, and a fun ambiance!!!! This restaurant should be on everyone's list to try!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014My friends and I came into the city to celebrate a birthday and we had a wonderful time at this restaurant-great food -great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, Service...not so muchRayCVIPDined on 8/23/2014We were seated at the sushi counter which I actually like so you can see the food being prepared. Took a while for the waiter to come over and take our drink and food order. We ordered two more rounds of drinks from other random staff because we never saw our waiter until it was time to get the bill. Oh well.Special Features:
- Great sushiAngelicaDined on 8/22/2014Had a fabulous time. We had the sashimi combination... the big one. Fantastically fresh fish! Loved the pyramid appetizer, too. I wouldn't recommend the To Die For... It sounds like it should be great, but it fell short in my opinion. Not nearly as good as the Dragon Roll! do not skip the dragon roll... The waiter was friendly and continually checked back to see how we were doing and also gave good recommendations when we asked him for them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendliest Sushi Bar in SFOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014I couldn't believe how awesomely accommodating and friendly everyone at Blowfish was on my two dinners there this week. My new favorite go-to-spot for a late night sake or sushi fix with 1-6 friends.Special Features:
- Flawless foodK8atuDined on 8/21/2014I am now what I would consider a regular here, traveling out from the East Bay just to munch here. Stellar food, and great service. Give it a go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still holds its ownYelpyVIPDined on 8/15/2014I haven't been to Blowfish in several years so it was great to see it still holds its own among all the other hip sushi contenders in SFSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- five starsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014absolutely delicious, get the tuna tar tar pyramid!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still great after so many years!NedaNDined on 8/13/2014Last time I was here was in the late 90s. After moving back to the Bay Area last Sept, I have tried every sushi bar anyone has recommended but haven't found one yet that stands up to LA standards!!! Blowfish was by far the best sushi yet. The atmosphere is as hip as I remembered. Service was great and the Samurai Margaritas were fantastic. I would definitely go back. Nice to see some things remain the same over the years like your favorite sushi bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- all presentationtt33Dined on 8/12/2014We were not particularly impressed with the sushi. The presentation of the food was very elaborate, with dry ice vapor pouring out over the bowl containing the sashimi. However, the food itself was not very good. The fish was a little mushy, and a bit of a let down. We wouldn't go there again.
- Great for our large dinner!stungDined on 8/8/2014Reserved for 21 people and the manager was able to put together a good sampling of their menu for our desired per-head price range. Food was some of the best and most unique sushi we have ever had and presented in really cool ways. Definitely skews toward a slightly younger crowd with anime and daft punk music but even grandpa had a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!MaryVIPDined on 8/8/2014You want good sushi? GO HERE. Absolutely GREAT and the staff is very knowlegeable and happy to help with anything you need to decide on. Cocktails are also excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A simple sous chefs review..OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2014I came in kinda late ready to spend big though. We ordered high end everything. First thing to hit the table was the food. I wish I had a sip of that hibiki that I ordered almost 20 min in a rocks whiskey Food was great coming from an oyster restaurant none of the oysters had any liquor. Disappointed for I feel they were pre shucked. The sushichefs still got it going on. That's why I love this place. Loved the chef inspires dishes. Inventive and playful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place510foodieDined on 7/28/2014Blowfish is always a smash success. Delicious dishes you can have each time you go, and special occasion dishes ( what's the one with the dry ice? Awesome. ) too. The drinks are innovative and delicious too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent sushi!!YummmDined on 7/26/2014We came in as a party of 8 on a very busy Saturday night. Our server was wonderful, she handled a vibrant table quite well & was incredibly attentive. Truly a fantastic experience & the food was over the top delicious!! No left overs at all~ Thank you Blow Fish for treating us so wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceMichiganTiffDined on 7/23/2014The food and service was wonderful. There was a DJ spinning in the background that pumped up the atmosphere. This is a great place for excellent food, service, and a lively atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatmdfoodieDined on 7/22/2014Enjoyed a meal here. Sushi was good, and in some cases inventive. Highlight was a prawn dish that looked like a work of art. Nigiri was good, but not great. Sticky rice wasn't er...sticky. Fish was fresh with good selection, but not that "melt in your mouth" type sushi that I've had at other SF restaurants. Space was vibrant, with a DJ spinning music, but not distracting at all. Good crowd for a Monday night...brisk business. Wine list was limited but decent.Special Features:
- Wow!UptownGirlDined on 7/20/2014We really enjoyed dining here. The food was of very high quality, very fresh. They prepare both some standard type offerings, as well as items that took one out of the realm of the ordinary. Imaginative and harmonious without being weird. Every dish the 5 of us at the table tried was worth having again, but the yellowtail sashimi sent my brother and me into paroxysms of delight. (Well almost.) They also have a variety of cooked dishes.Special Features:
- My favorite sushi place in SF.CaliChris1VIPDined on 7/19/2014Make sure you try the garlic edamame. All of the custom rolls are amazing and the sashimi is always so fresh. Been here so many times and always leave happy and satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great--wish we weren't in a rush!akobre01Dined on 7/8/2014My girlfriend and I went to this restaurant before she had to catch her plane. The sushi was really good; we got the pyramid of tartare which was very tasty and a few special rolls which were both delicious and interesting. The place was pretty full and had a really interesting vibe: very cool/colorful artwork and were playing electronic music (not what you'd expect for sushi). Unfortunately we had to rush so we didn't get to spend as much time there as we would have liked. The server was very friendly and helped a lot however it did take a while for the food to come (perhaps if we were in a rush this wouldn't have mattered to us). I would definitely return and recommend this restaurant--we had a great time!Special Features:
- Pyramid is a must havelocalDined on 7/5/2014You just haven't lived until you've tried the sashimi pyramid!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 649 reviews are from the Blowfish Sushi - SF reviews archive.
- Disappointing sushitrumpetDined on 6/27/2014I have come to blowfish for many years. The sushi used to be top-notch. Last night I'm afraid the food was really disappointing. Kind of gross. They are charging A-1 prices but serving sub-par fish. The steak tartar was a great idea, presented poorly. Looked tired. Tasted ok but was kind of a mess. The chicken was good. I might come back for a drink but never again for dinner.