Blowfish Sushi - San Jose
355 Santana Row
San Jose, CA 95128Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $31 to $50
Blowfish Sushi - San Jose
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.blowfishsushi.com/
- Phone: (408) 345-3848
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Ritsuo Tsuchida
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Whether you’re planning an office lunch, wedding, or an intimate
party in your home, Blowfish Sushi Catering can provide an array of
fresh, sophisticated Japanese Sushi and Fusion dishes sure to please
your guests. Your order will come beautifully arranged and will
include napkins, chopsticks, serving utensils, and condiments like
wasabi, ponzu, and soy sauce, where necessary.
- Private Party Facilities: Blowfish Sushi can accommodate large groups in our lounge area of up to 50 people.
- Private Party Contact: Mariell Rahmani 4157998424x
- Entertainment: Live DJ's play soulful music every Thursday, Friday and Saturday, as well as some Wednesdays.
- Special Events: We can always bring the Sushi to your party, but why not bring your
party to the Sushi? Our restaurant, located on trendy Santana Row
in San Jose, can seat up to 150 guests and features a full bar serving
20+ varieties of sake. Take advantage of a full buyout so you and
your guests can have front row seats as our sushi chefs showcase
their knife skills to produce stunning edible creations.
A word from Blowfish Sushi - San Jose
Blowfish Sushi is an eclectic sushi bar and restaurant that serves both modern and traditional sushi, sashimi, as well as salads. cooked appetizers, and special desserts. The menu style is called Asian Fusion and emphasizes clean, pure, healthy foods. Premium imported sakes and an original line of sake cocktails are featured in the restaurant's stunning liquor lounge. "Walk into Blowfish and step into your senses; 'it' decor houses a modern menu, reinterprets sushi and presents a new palette for the genre" -ctguide.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
Blowfish Sushi - San Jose - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
Blowfish Sushi - San Jose reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (18)vibrant bar scene (16)special occasion (16)hot spot (14)good for groups (12)late-night find (10)neighborhood gem (9)romantic (8)great for lunch (8)notable wine list (3)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- DeliasMomDined on 11/15/2014Great food. The services was top notch, and our server was very knowledgable about the food as well as what types of food and how they work together. My only concern was that it is dark in the resturant, that can be harder on older eyes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/16/2014This was my first visit. It was for lunch. I did not have any of the sushi, just tempura. It was bland. The miso soup was good.
- DeliciousRachVIPDined on 10/11/2014Everything was great. Tried the liquid pear & cucumber Cosmo for drinks. Loved them both. Ginger soy edamame was amazing. Special dragon rol was full of flavorr, as was the black cod risotto. Cali roll was good too, maybe not as exciting as other dishes. Service was prompt & polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The fantastic and the terribleKSWGordonDined on 10/4/2014The food as usual was awesome and absolutely deliscious... The noise level was very high, which I can deal but, the service however this night was extremely disappointing!! Our server Eliza though lovely and friendly, was not up to standard... Our food was not delivered as we requested... Some items not delivered at all and by the time our wine was eventually brought to the table, we'd finished our meals... About an hour after we ordered it! What a let down!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food decent serviceFoodLoveDined on 10/4/2014They had delicious food, even for those who do not eat seafood. As I don't, but my partner does. Took her out for her birthday and it was a blast. The only down sides were, we were given 3 menus for a group of 16 people, when we asked for more, they brought us one more. They then charged my credit card 3 extra times in random numerous amounts, so be safe and check your statement after you go there!Special Features:
- Nice improvementsMistyVIPDined on 9/26/2014We had a very bad experience last time we went, but about a year has gone by so we gave it another try. The menu has changed quite a bit and they have some nice adjustments. The filet mignon and prawn dishes were very tasty. The sushi seemed mushy, but at least one of us still liked it. The drinks were still awesome.Special Features:
- Disappointing and overpriced foodSushiRolllllDined on 9/25/2014This was our third time eating in this restaurant. The food has gradually gotten worse, since the first time that we were there years ago. Drinks are also very mediocre. Their special rolls are $18+ and are just slightly better than their regular menu ones, which even the waitress hinted are not good.
- Dark, loud, and overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/23/2014Be sure to ask for the price of any specials they are offering, as they tend to be very expensive. For example, my friend ordered the "Toro tuna special". I knew he was in trouble when it came out in a weird, huge bowl, complete with inedible garnishes and dry ice "smoke". Five pieces of thin tuna for $35. It was so loud inside that it made it incredible hard for our group to talk to each other without shouting. There was a range of ages in our group, 25-55, and we all agreed it was too dark to easily read the menu. I would only recommend this place if you are more interested in feeling like you're inside a nightclub, versus a good sushi restaurant. I would gladly pay top dollar for fantastic sushi. Unfortunately, this place didn't deliver.
- Okayyyy sushayyyySushiloverDined on 8/31/2014Menu needs better description of food. For example yam tempura maki- if you don't know maki means roll you'll think its tempura.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Mess!JfuuzDined on 8/30/2014Went here for the Sushi, but got much more. Repeatedly asked by numerous waitresses if the food they had to deliver was mine? They had no idea know where to take the Sushi they were trying to deliver? So noisy we couldn't talk to each other......too Dark in restaurant, wasn't able to see the Sushi very well. Tables too close together...seemed like a Cattle call instead of a restaurant at Santana Row.....Yikes! Also stingy on the Ginger...overall I will never go back to Blowfosh Sushi!
- Good place, little expensiveNorzanDined on 8/28/2014Come to this place several times. Great place and nice food. The only thing needs to be mentioned is the price...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't expect to hear each otherLocalSanJoseNativeDined on 8/26/2014Have never come here before. Picked it for a group of coworkers from out of town. It was way too noisy to have a decent conversation and a long wait for the server to introduce herself. The hostess eventually came over to see if we had been helped yet, left to find the server, still had to wait a while till she showed up. Once she did she was attentive then-on. The beer she offered ended up being unavailable and the saki we ordered was out as well. Seems more like you pay for the location and to say you went to Santana Row than you do for the quality of service, food, and conversation. Would have much rather gone to the original plan of Sushi Confidential in Campbell.Special Features:
- Get half the roll and be bored.OleeDined on 8/22/2014Appetizer : tuna pyramid was good. We order 3 rolls and all rolls are 5-6 pieces only and small. Nothing special. Cartoon inside repeat every 15mins so I see the same cartoon 4/5 times during my meal which is super boring. Not to mention there is no sound, no caption. Need to choose cartoon which is fun. Poor choice and pay no attention to details.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- soyeDined on 8/20/2014The service was great and the food was pretty good. The noise level, which other reviews had mentioned, was not a problem. Our waitress was helpful and attentive. The Pyramid of Tartare was delicious and unique. Overall, the price was average for a dinner out. We had a good time.Special Features:
- My favorite sushi restaurant in SJVineetVIPDined on 8/15/2014I love Blowfish Sushi because each time we go there we know what to expect: - great food - great service - and overall great doing experience. They do tend to get busy on weekends, so rather than ordering 1-2 rolls at a time, order more at once. The staff is friendly and always provide great recommendations if you feel like trying something new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlowfishCJeatsWellVIPDined on 8/15/2014Loved the food, hated service. Let me be clear, the waitress was great, but the servers were horrid. Very busy restaurant and servers just dropped food on table without explaining and went off to next service. The sushi was fresh and well done (super dynamite ultimate spicy tuna and unagi), and a fantastic special of mushroom risotto with tuna. Would come back for food and expect poor servers.Special Features:
- Excellent againtrilliontribblesDined on 8/14/2014the food and service is always wonderful. just wish the noise level was lower. hard to hold a conversation without yelling!
- No funky Tokyo vibe, just loud!shakaDined on 8/11/2014Was so excited to dine here but ultimately, was disappointed. Food =good, extensive sake wine list. Way too noisy to have a conversation with more than one person, was so bad the waitress got our order wrong and it was not worth "yelling" across the table to correct the order. Maybe lunch is a better bet...if I happen to be in the area.Special Features:
- Best sushi everLizBDined on 8/9/2014I've eaten a lot of sushi & this was, by far, the best I've had so far!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 534 reviews are from the Blowfish Sushi - San Jose reviews archive.
- Great food. Poor service.AB1289Dined on 7/25/2014The manager actually had the nerve to try to argue with us about removing the charge for one roll that was ordered, but never brought to our table. Had our waitress checked in on us more or paid more attention to what the runners had and had not brought to our table, the whole situation could have been avoided.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent sushimgp1VIPDined on 7/21/2014I recommend this restaurant for its sushi and its convenient location on Santana Row. The desserts are works of art!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality, Quantity and $$EspanolaVIPDined on 7/5/2014The quality and flavors of the food was not quite there, products were blandness. We order: Ebi & Veg Tempura, which was very thick and grease. Pyramid of Tarta, great presentation but tasteless Rainbow Maki, was okay, but 6 small portions, minimum amount of fish and $19.00 We eat sushi constantly and by far this restaurant was the biggest disappointed we have encountered. Yelp provides a 3.5 Starts and I should have trusted that was some what low.Special Features:
- Food was good and well presentedTexasDined on 7/5/2014We picked this restaurant for its location. It had really good reviews. I have to say that we were kind of shocked that the benches were duct taped. But the food was presented nicely and the staff was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 18th birthday lunch celebrationCelebrationDined on 7/3/2014We choose Blowfish to celebrate my daughter 18th birthday because she is a sushi lover. This being our first time there and celebrating such a special occasion, I naturally thought since notifying the restaurant they would take steps. I was wrong. We were treated like any other dining service. I was a bit disappointed. This is a great place for lunch but not for celebrating special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious and loudGruvyGrlDined on 6/20/2014Had a great meal with my daughter. Very creative rolls and fish was fresh. Only complaint, the place was not even full yet it was extremely loud. There is fun loud, and annoying loud. This was annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not sure how I feelClint5gVIPDined on 6/20/2014I have known and heard of Blowfish for a long time but haven't been in years. I've always heard it was the trendy, popular place to get sushi. I was surpised when the hostess seated us and I had to sit at a booth that has a huge area of tape covering a hole. The area next to it also had tape on it but not as large. For the amount of money you pay at this restaurant they should pay more attention to detail. I wasn't quite sure if this spot was going to snag the long coat I was wearing but didn't want to cause a fuss.Special Features:
- Go, if you're not hungryEugarDined on 6/19/2014This is the first time a make a review about a restaurant. I think it is worth mentioning the terrible service in this restaurant. Food was acceptable. We ordered the fire roasted oysters (delicious) a cod rissoto (also very good), a tuna tartar ( the worst in my life) and a King R roll (very decent)... we sat about 20 minutes until the waiter came to take the drink order... And we waited more than 45 mins to get our food.... The food was brought all separate without an specific order, first the entree Then the appetizers (one by one) No no no very bad experience... The waiter forgot my side salad.. At the end We order ice cream. Which after waiting 20 mins we decided to cancel the order and leave. Btw, the place wasn't crowded
- creative sushi, vibrant atmosphereboofersDined on 5/24/2014Loved the Ritsu roll and the Pyramid of Tartare. Very fresh fish and beautiful presentation. Also enjoyed the cocktails - had a special with pear and lime with run and my friend loved sweet heat made with jalapeno. Shared the gourmet beignet for dessert. Yum. Only complaint is it's super noisy, so hard to have conversation. Service was friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 22-MAYsireatsalotDined on 5/22/2014really good sashimi and very nice sake selection. very creative side plates. Not a lot of other entrees, but if your there for sushi and sashimi you wont be disappointed.Special Features:
- Food was very tasty.KcDebDined on 5/17/2014Food was very good. Items for people who don't like sushi will love too. I had out of town guests- so food was a real hit. But music was too loud to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding service!TBeach3Dined on 5/17/2014Absolutely loved the sushi selection and the overall service in the lounge area was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blowfish Sushi is UniqueYankeeDined on 5/16/2014The restaurant was very crowded on a Friday night (understandably), and awfully noisy! We enjoyed the sushi we ordered, but didn't really find it memorable, as we had the offering on our previous visit, possibly a couple of years ago or more. The drinks were excellent. Service was quite slow; I think they were understaffed for such a busy evening. We may go back again on a more unfashionable weeknight to see if there are fewer people and less noise. We had nice fresh Kumamoto oysters as a starter, and not having quite enough appetite to finish the sushi, we took it home. It was acceptable for breakfast the next morning. They used to offer 1000 points, but now only 100. That was a disappointment.Special Features:
- Great tasting food, spotty service.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/10/2014Unfortunately the great food was marred by the experience of slow and poor service. We didn't receive our cocktail drinks until after finishing the appetizer and did not receive one of our orders and had to request it removed from the bill.
- Very dissapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/8/2014I was craving sushi. Unfortunately from the time that we sat down til the time we left we were very unhappy. The waitress did not know anything about the menu and had to come back three times to get clarification from us. I can't eat seaweed and asked for my sushi to be rolled in soy papers. I placed my order and the waitress said that the rolls I ordered are premade and cannot come with soy papers. So not only could I not get the type of fish that I want. Comes to find out they don't roll their sushi so it's not fresh. Someone else from our group ordered a hand rolled roll, it was messy and looked like an ice cream cone. That is not a roll and there is nothing in the menu that even explains that. We will never come here again.
- A bit loud, but great foodAnonymousDined on 4/26/2014We had reservation but we still had to wait 10 minutes. We waited by the bar but it took someone 9 minutes to ask us what our order was but then by then our table was ready. The waitress was great and so was the food but the wait for the table was a bit longer than I anticipated. Also we were seated right by the door, which was not the most ideal for a two person party.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not all that greatHannyVIPDined on 4/26/2014I love the fresh raw fish sushi. The rolls are not all that good, POOR quality actually. The soft shelf crab in my spider roll was so chewy NOT CRUNCHY at all. Those rolls are worse than mad fish / safeway - sushi. That was a great disappointment since the raw fish tasted so good!Special Features:
- Fading starCravingFabulousEatsVIPDined on 4/26/2014I used to love Blowfish when it first opened-a few years ago, but it has not put any effort to stay current. Food is still good but now their booths have duct tape, some TVs do not work, the menu is a simple printed paper now that had soy sauce stains on it. You're paying too much for the current ambiance. Not a place to take someone on a date (but it used to be).Special Features:
- IT was a bit Pricey but was ok.thekodakDined on 4/19/2014it was good but pricey. Jenny the sever was very nice and helpful.Special Features:
- BlowfishRelbodDined on 4/15/2014The food was fresh and good but on the pricey side with much lacking in the service. But the fish & rolls where fresh and delicious. Waitress was hardly around and was at multiple tables hitting & missing her tables. One thing is they included the tip on a 6 person table for a solid 15% which I found too generous for the service provided but I assume they know that and kindly add the gratuity. The menu was strictly rolls and little for those who can't fathom eating raw fish. My daughter ordered a bowl of rice and spiked it with soy sauce. I would not recommend this place due to the high price and terrible service. The food is good but you can goto a sushi place not in Santana Row and get a modest price sushi dinner.Special Features:
- Ok sushi. Going downhillOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/13/2014Been here over the past 5 years. Customer service is at an all time low. Food is okay. The menu has changed multiple times and is now the smallest ever. Very limited selections. Rolls are ok and a bit overpriced.