Blowfish Restaurant + Sake Bar
668 KING STREET WEST
Toronto, ON M5V 1M7Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Blowfish Restaurant + Sake Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.blowfishrestaurant.com/king/
- Phone: 4168600606
- Hours of Operation:
Monday & Tuesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday & Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: GQ Pan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Patio/Outdoor Dining
- Cross Street: Bathhurst St.
- Public Transit: Public Transit Stops: 504 King Street Car stopping at Bathurst, 511 Bathurst Street Car stopping at King Street West
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Canada Auto Parks 554 Adelaide Street West Adelaide Street West south side just east of Bathurst Metered street parking
A word from Blowfish Restaurant + Sake Bar
Blowfish Restaurant and Sake Bar was established in the Spring of 2003 when the doors were opened to this landmark dining destination in Toronto’s stylish King West district. Mirroring this fusion of old with new, classic with modern, traditional with contemporary, the menu, wine and sake lists combine Japanese and Pan-Pacific with European and North American tastes. Featuring a brilliant combination of innovative gourmet sushi, complimented by a menu of hot and cold plates for sharing, these seemingly far flung influences and selections come together seamlessly in a memorable dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blowfish Restaurant + Sake Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (23)fit for foodies (22)hot spot (19)romantic (12)good for groups (12)vibrant bar scene (8)neighborhood gem (8)late-night find (6)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Good but Bay location is betterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014The food was good but the beef enoki roll was very different from the one I had at the bay location. The waitress was not very familiar with the menu - so she couldn't help us much when ordering. We both had a allergy - so it wasn't that helpful but she did make the kitchen aware of our allergies whih was good. Once it got busy - the service wasn't that great. We were never offered dessert and we waited for some time and then decided to get it elsewhere. I wouldn't go back to this particular location but bwill continue to go to the Bay Street. We only went to this location bc the bay location didn't open on weekends during the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the same boring sushi joint!TricksDined on 8/16/2014Went to Blowfish after hearing so many rave reviews and it did not disappoint! Every dish was better than the next and put a new, modern spin on the typical sushi restaurants in town. The ambience is fantastic and is well suited for a hot date or night out with girlfriends. The drink selection is also fantastic! Can't wait to go again so I can try even more items from this exciting menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rainy NightKarenbDined on 8/4/2014Miso Cod at Blowfish is something I need periodically, the last two sakes on the menu are my favourite. Next time I will reorder the black sesame ice-cream, the presentation is so stunning, wish I could share the shots here.
- DavidVIPDined on 7/30/2014It was a little over-priced for what you get. The fish was fresh, but not outstanding and at $10 for maguro it should be. The miso cod is a staple on every Japanese menu and this was one of the blandest. The fish was good, but the preparation was pedestrian. It's fine if you need some sushi and are in the area. The atmosphere and decor is good. But it is not a destination restaurant.
- Sampire Bites ReviewsampireVIPDined on 7/25/2014http://sampirebites.wordpress.com/2014/07/27/dining-at-blowfish-restaurant/Special Features:
- great foodluvfood31Dined on 7/17/2014Everything we ordered was awesome as was the service. I miss the old bar, but other wise a great nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, underwhelming servicezeedeeDined on 6/30/2014I went to Blowfish a couple of years ago and was impressed with the food and ambiance. I decided to go there for dinner recently with friends for my birthday and was not so 'blown away'. My meal of blackened cod was nice, but a couple of my friends were not so impressed with their meals. The restaurant was only one third full, but the service was slow. Our drinks took a long time and our meals arrived at different times. There are many other places with good food, good ambiance and good service, so I won't be going back again.
- divineilanasVIPDined on 6/30/2014it's not cheap. But the sushi here is a cut above. Ebi shooter is a must have, as is the miso cod.Special Features:
- LuvcelinehandbagDined on 6/29/2014Some of the items on the menu only come with two pieces. If you have a bigger party they should ask you if you want more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First class sushilcdsouzaDined on 6/29/2014Always enjoy my visit here. The ambience and surroundings are delightful, staff is extremely helpful and the food is the icing on the cake! Delicious!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food!NikkiDined on 6/26/2014Not only was the service fast, but the food was to die for; I could eat The Spicy Rock Shrimp all day! Although there was a great vibe, it became a bit noisy as this location is smaller than the one on Bay St.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/24/2014Outstanding sushi and sashimi. Still thinking about the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blowfish is a must go toshickerDined on 6/19/2014Blowfish is a great restaurant. Excellent selection of Sushi sand shashimi. Pricing is quite excellent for a downtown spot offering such an energetic vibe. Would definitely go again and plan to stay much longer than this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/31/2014Always great food, quick and friendly service. Also very convenient location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been betterNigelSatchmoDined on 5/25/2014We were in from out-of-town. Blowfish was recommended by a friend as a really great place to get together and eat. We ordered a broad array of items off of the menu and found many of them unsatisfying. The Nigiri was unappetizing to the eye and lacked the pop of freshness we have come to expect from the sushi we eat at home. The same was true for the sushi rolls. Each of the 'cooked' items in our order were unseasoned and therefore lacked any distinctive flavor that would have us come back. The area in which this restaurant is located is loaded with other places to eat......we will choose the others.
- Not exceptionalbeebeeboobooDined on 5/22/2014Food here was mediocre, compared to other Japanese-fusion-Izakaya type restaurants in the same price range. Everything food/drinks/service/ambience was mediocre.Special Features:
- Good food on someone else's dimeAzieDined on 5/20/2014Service is great and food is decent. The scallops both nigiri and hot plate were excellent and memorable but their signature ebi shooter is really unnecessary and a great money maker for them. This is a great place to impress clients and out of town guests. It's really expensive for the amount of food. Other than that, if you are craving fresh sushi and no ambiance I recommend 930 sushi just down the street. It's take out but the fish is from the same suppliers as this restaurant and is much easier on your wallet.Special Features:
- Gr8FoodDined on 5/18/2014The service was amazing. The waitress brought us our second round of drinks free bc she said they were short staffed however I didn't even realize they were!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very ExpensiveDavid7664Dined on 5/11/2014Food was great but astronomically expensive. 5 people no alcohol $325.00 WOW!!!
- The following 133 reviews are from the Blowfish Restaurant + Sake Bar reviews archive.
- Food is not worth the priceFoodLoverVIPDined on 4/29/2014We've been here a number of times and have always enjoyed it in the past. This time the restaurant was almost empty. We waited forever for any dishes and then they came all at once. We looked forward to the tuna tacos and they were tasteless. And not cheap!! To be honest, nothing we ate was special.
- Not badBeuxb33Dined on 4/28/2014It's considered to be the best sushi place in town. The food is not bad, but definitely not the best. Oh and did I mention how pricy it is? I couple of sashimi and tempura will run you well above $100Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the atmosphere and foodLinoDined on 4/25/2014First time at Blowfish and I thoroughly enjoyed my meal and evening. The only thing I think they should consider is proper signage. It was very difficult to explain to friends where it is other than the street number.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- miss the wagubringbackthewaguDined on 4/24/2014We celelbrated my daughters birthday here last year and we were excited to return this year. But they changed the decor, the bar, and the cool washrooms. The menu has also changed and our favourite item, the wagu beef cooked on a hot rock is no longer on the menu. We still had a good time and the food is still excellent but not sure if we will go back without the wagu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentMiaMeDined on 4/12/2014The food is always amazing. This is the most innovative sushi I have ever had. No dish I have ever tried is just o.k., they all become my new favourite. The mixologist is THE BEST, not just drinks but works of art. My favourite is Caribou Crossing but they make a killer Mojito. Great service and atmosphere. Love the new interior design and looking forward to the new outdoor patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointedRiksDined on 4/4/2014the service was terrible. they kept coming to our table SO Many times, would not leave us alone and the waitress had a such bad attitude because we did not order alcohol or too many dishes. the food was so expensive for such small portion. terrible service overall. very snobbish and not welcoming extremely disappointed.
- Tried it allBirthdaygirllllDined on 3/20/2014Our server was amazing! We asked her so many questions & based in what we liked she made amazing suggestions. The food was glorious, the flourless chocolate torte made my life better. I recxend this for sushi lovers! & wine lovers! Try a bottle of cloudy bay!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hosting Friends from EuropeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/13/2014A great night. Ambience , food and service rocked. My guests couldn't stop raving about the experience. Thank you Blowfish. Our server Alex was friendly and engaging. She made sure our glasses were never empty and was knowledgable of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerKAY1977Dined on 3/11/2014Excellent experience! It was a birthday dinner celebration and the service was superior. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and the experience was quite lovely. I would recommend this restaurant to any sushi lover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We fell illGotsick3Dined on 3/7/2014Although the food was okay we all fell ill from it. I also think that you can get better value for your money elsewhere.Special Features:
- First time at Blowfish, butFamilyof3Dined on 3/1/2014First time at Blowfish, but not our last. Wonderful food and excellent service which was well timed, helpful and attentive. The black cod was outstanding as was the panko chicken breast. Sea scallops were fine but not at the level of other items. Appetizers were all fresh and flavourful. Truffle albacore sushi roll a must. We dined early so it was quiet which suited my husband and I as we were able to talk comfortably with our daughter who was home from university. All 3 of us agreed that we would return, even though we live an hour's drive away!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and RomanticMflavaDined on 2/28/2014Without fail, the ambience and the food at Blow Fish make it a perfect spot for a romantic night out in downtown. I love the pace in which you can order your food as the night progresses. Overall, the food was delicious and worth it, although pricy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like Sushi.. Go to BlowfishBrit5438Dined on 2/22/2014Incredible food! The Blowfish Ebi shooters are a must. Service could be better as it can be hard to track down a server. Overall, excellent experience. Will be going back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was just okOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014Went on recommendations from server, liked most of what was served, only standout was the Enoki-Beef roll. Close quarters, tables very close together and in danger of having stuff knocked off the table by wait staff going up and down the aisle. Couple next to us seemed to be fighting and were so close it affected our conversations. Heard the Bay-Adelaide location was a bit more roomy, may give it a try, but this time round was just ok.Special Features:
- Great VibeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014The atmosphere was very energetic for a winter Saturday night. It was cozy and romatic, and the food was exceptional. Also, the wine selection was great.But there were a couple of issues that were disappointing. When we arrived for our reservations, the restaurant was fairly empty but we got seated by the bar where a group of people were gathered. After 20 minutes of being uncomfortable with other individuals close to our table, we ask to be seated but they graciously oblidged us. Also, we were in the middle of a serious conversation and both times interupted to clear the table or clear the crumbs, which was somewhat annoying as we gave off subtle cues to be left alone, yet when we needed a server prior to, we seemed to be waiting a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service needs improvingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/1/2014We had a table for 5 booked for Feb 1st. Waited 45 min to be seated. Approached the staff several times to ask when the table would be ready and they just kept saying the party that had an earlier reservation did not want to leave. The owner was very nice and arranged for a new table to be set upfor us but the staff should have taken care of this beforehand. Also the service to prder drinks and food was very slow even though the restaurant was not full. The food was amazing as always and the new decor was very modern and chic. I love the restaurant but the staff needs improving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seriously horrible.PAD76Dined on 2/1/2014I'll start with the positive. The sushi is well presented and generally ok. There done. Now, the negative. 1.The hostess wanted to put us at the first table by the door, even though there were many tables closer to the windows, in a much more comfortable setting. At the time the restaurant was only about 1/3 full. 2.They were all out of 'barrel-aged' cocktails, even though there were only 3 types on the menu. 3.When placing our order, the server told us that 3 out of 4 of the dishes we chose weren't good and we shouldn't order them. But could not offer any reason why. 4.The prices are too expensive for the quality of the food, cocktails and service. 5.And, the busboy started wiping down our table with a dirty rag before we were done eating.Special Features:
- DisappointedkateDined on 1/31/2014Went to Blowfish for the first time on Friday night. Had reservations for 2. Atmosphere was cool. Our server was lovely. However, it took an hour before our first dish (4 pieces of Sashimi) came out. We had to request for our next 3 dishes to come out (an hour and 15 minutes into our dining experience) rushed because we couldn't wait any longer. Unfourtunately, we couldn't order any of the Tapas or hot plates because our sushi took so damn long to come out and we didn't want to be late to a party. Wasn't very pleased with the amount of PDA I had to witness during my dinner either (i.e. couple at a table full on making out). Food itself wasn't terrible, but I'm not sure it was worth the wait, price, etc. Disappointed overall.Special Features:
- DecentCcarterrDined on 1/30/2014Drinks were okay, higher in price than I was looking to pay. Server was nice, not very attentive, I feel like we had to flag her a few times instead of her naturally checking up on us. For a high end restaurant, the food didn't wow me. I think I've had all you can eat sushi for $16 that tasted fresher than the food. Pleasant experience but a bit loud.Special Features:
- Great night out!TOfoodie85Dined on 12/31/2013Booked this for NYE 2014, great for ringing in the new year.....the ambiance was fantastic, service was great (although a little rushed at times), but overall the experience was exactly what we wanted. If you are not a fan of being close to other diners you may want to book elsewhere as seating is tight, but for those who have eaten at Japanese restos before, you come to know this. Definitely will return and will be recommending to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PretentiousggrosiDined on 12/31/2013We were there for New Year's Eve (7:00 seating). The food itself was okay. The spicy rock shrimp and the orange + black were our favourites. However, for the price you pay for I found the serving to be very tiny. We ordered crispy crab, shrimp + scallop spring roll and they only gave 2 very skinny spring rolls. Also, I ordered their "sencha" (ultra premium japanese green tea) for $5 is the same I get at any Asian store for $2/bag! The ambience was nice but the place was small and I literally had to turn sideways to get out of my seat and I'm not a big person. Luckily, no one was sitting next to us. Our server was good and efficient. It was an interesting experience, but will I be back…I don't think so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.