Blowfish Restaurant + Sake Bar
668 KING STREET WEST
Toronto, ON M5V 1M7Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Blowfish Restaurant + Sake Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.blowfishrestaurant.com/king/
- Phone: (416) 860-0606
- Hours of Operation:
Monday & Tuesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday & Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: GQ Pan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Patio/Outdoor Dining
- Cross Street: Bathhurst St.
- Public Transit: Public Transit Stops: 504 King Street Car stopping at Bathurst, 511 Bathurst Street Car stopping at King Street West
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Canada Auto Parks 554 Adelaide Street West Adelaide Street West south side just east of Bathurst Metered street parking
A word from Blowfish Restaurant + Sake Bar
Blowfish Restaurant and Sake Bar was established in the Spring of 2003 when the doors were opened to this landmark dining destination in Toronto’s stylish King West district. Mirroring this fusion of old with new, classic with modern, traditional with contemporary, the menu, wine and sake lists combine Japanese and Pan-Pacific with European and North American tastes. Featuring a brilliant combination of innovative gourmet sushi, complimented by a menu of hot and cold plates for sharing, these seemingly far flung influences and selections come together seamlessly in a memorable dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blowfish Restaurant + Sake Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (22)special occasion (19)hot spot (17)neighborhood gem (11)vibrant bar scene (11)good for groups (10)romantic (9)late-night find (7)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- 5th time at BlowfishJetCanadaDined on 11/9/2014This was our 5th time at Blowfish. We've tried both locations. We arrive hungry and order 7 to 8 items to share so that we have a range of flavours to savor. The ebi shooter is a favourite. Order one for each diner.Special Features:
- overall okxocahDined on 11/5/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday this week. The food has deteriorated in quality since the last time we came, but it was still good. It just wasn't as amazing as the last time we went. The biggest issue had to be with service. It took about ten minutes to flag someone down to order dessert (three hostesses/waitresses were standing around the front door gabbing and not paying attention to the patrons). Also, when I made my reservation, I was sure to mention it was my bf's birthday, and I mentioned it again when we got to the restaurant. A few minutes before we got our dessert, another table, also celebrating a birthday, received their dessert with sparklers on it. This courtesy was not extended to us. Service was sub-par.Special Features:
- Great SpotJDoanDined on 11/4/2014Definitely one of Toronto's best sushi and overall restaurants. The manager is amazing (Tak), drinks delicious and food very fresh and tasty. Don't go without ordering an Ebi Shooter (shrimp) for everyone, hot hamachi tuna, rock shrimp, black cod and amazing japanese ice cream. Blowfish never disappoints and the new bar which opens in a few weeks looks really good.Special Features:
- Hot spot?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/30/2014We were told blowfish is a hot spot. While the decor was nice and the food was pretty good there really wasn't much for ambiance. We rushed to make our reservation but it wouldn't matter as there were only a few other customers there. And they still sat us close to other people when we could have had a more private experience. Probably will try something else next time.
- Terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014When we first arrived, we waited 15 minutes just for someone to greet our table and take a drink order. I think the manager on duty ended up serving us because the other servers were 'too busy'. Seemed to be very disorganized in general. We ended up getting a dish we didn't even order and the chocolate lava dessert was so dry and tastelsess, we ended up sending it back. While the sushi was amazing, this restuarant has a long way to go in terms of their customer service - which by Toronto standards was sub-par.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Awesome!FoodFanDined on 10/10/2014I've been the king and bathurst location several times and it is never a let down! Love the service and adore the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!Celebrating15yearsDined on 10/10/2014We went to BlowFish for our anniversary. They gave us a special table, a single red rose for my wife, complimentary champagne and complimentary dessert. The food and service were outstanding. Our waitress recommended great dishes. The maitre d, host and our waitress all wished us happy anniversary. We highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay Food - moderate ServiceTODiningDined on 10/3/2014Dined here on a Friday night. Server wasn't the best. Lacked personality and was not on point with bringing drinks. They were on the bar for 5+ minutes waiting to be brought over. I finally asked a hostess if she could bring them. Restaurant was only about 40% full and more than one server was working. I'm not sure where the server kept disappearing to. Tempura and rock shrimp was really good. Sushi was okay. The spicy edamame was too salty (almost in edible). I had the tiki ginger cocktail. The taste of the lime overpowered the ginger. The atmosphere is cool and ideal location. Good way to start a night out. Good date night spot. I would return and hope for a better server and steer clear of the edamame.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big disappointmentJaneDined on 9/27/2014We go to Ki a lot,heard good things and came here with the intention of having a special dinner and was prepared to spend a decent amount of money. It took 10 minutes for our server to even touch our table.At first we simply asked for two cokes, and that took another 10 minutes.After 30 minutes,we got our sushi rolls and tempura.We finish the sushi rolls with the intention of ordering more.20 minutes later- rest of order still MIA,no server,no asking if we wanted more drinks (at this point I was going to order a bottle of wine.)I grew tired of the party behind us getting served in an otherwise empty dining room with a full staff.Cancelled the rest of my order and left.Horrendous experience- don't assume the punk kids aren't worth your time.Special Features:
- It has changedRodneyBoyDined on 9/20/2014First off the ambience is totally different than before. Music so loud you can hardly have a conversation. Combine that with a birthday group mixed in with regular patrons. Server forgot to get the initial beverage for my date. Food was outstanding except our server forgot to bring two of the dishes we ordered. After a different staff member asked us how everything was we said fine except they forgot to bring us the dishes we ordered. As it was getting late we said just bring us one. They did offer to not charge us for it which was appreciated. It was then difficult to get our servers attention to pay the bill. I had to track her down. In summary, the food was really great, the ambience and service has slipped a lot.Special Features:
- lunchbunchVIPDined on 9/4/2014We don't visit Toronto too often but when we do we always include Blowfish on our itinerary! Splendid menu with engaging wait staff!Special Features:
- Similar to NobuvtaiwoDined on 8/30/2014Love it! Similar to Nobu and Novikov :-) Service kinda slow thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but Bay location is betterLuv2EatDined on 8/30/2014The food was good but the beef enoki roll was very different from the one I had at the bay location. The waitress was not very familiar with the menu - so she couldn't help us much when ordering. We both had a allergy - so it wasn't that helpful but she did make the kitchen aware of our allergies whih was good. Once it got busy - the service wasn't that great. We were never offered dessert and we waited for some time and then decided to get it elsewhere. I wouldn't go back to this particular location but bwill continue to go to the Bay Street. We only went to this location bc the bay location didn't open on weekends during the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the same boring sushi joint!TricksDined on 8/16/2014Went to Blowfish after hearing so many rave reviews and it did not disappoint! Every dish was better than the next and put a new, modern spin on the typical sushi restaurants in town. The ambience is fantastic and is well suited for a hot date or night out with girlfriends. The drink selection is also fantastic! Can't wait to go again so I can try even more items from this exciting menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rainy NightKarenbDined on 8/4/2014Miso Cod at Blowfish is something I need periodically, the last two sakes on the menu are my favourite. Next time I will reorder the black sesame ice-cream, the presentation is so stunning, wish I could share the shots here.
- DavidVIPDined on 7/30/2014It was a little over-priced for what you get. The fish was fresh, but not outstanding and at $10 for maguro it should be. The miso cod is a staple on every Japanese menu and this was one of the blandest. The fish was good, but the preparation was pedestrian. It's fine if you need some sushi and are in the area. The atmosphere and decor is good. But it is not a destination restaurant.
- The following 148 reviews are from the Blowfish Restaurant + Sake Bar reviews archive.
- Sampire Bites ReviewsampireVIPDined on 7/25/2014http://sampirebites.wordpress.com/2014/07/27/dining-at-blowfish-restaurant/Special Features:
- great foodluvfood31Dined on 7/17/2014Everything we ordered was awesome as was the service. I miss the old bar, but other wise a great nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, underwhelming servicezeedeeDined on 6/30/2014I went to Blowfish a couple of years ago and was impressed with the food and ambiance. I decided to go there for dinner recently with friends for my birthday and was not so 'blown away'. My meal of blackened cod was nice, but a couple of my friends were not so impressed with their meals. The restaurant was only one third full, but the service was slow. Our drinks took a long time and our meals arrived at different times. There are many other places with good food, good ambiance and good service, so I won't be going back again.
- divineilanasVIPDined on 6/30/2014it's not cheap. But the sushi here is a cut above. Ebi shooter is a must have, as is the miso cod.Special Features:
- LuvcelinehandbagDined on 6/29/2014Some of the items on the menu only come with two pieces. If you have a bigger party they should ask you if you want more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First class sushilcdsouzaDined on 6/29/2014Always enjoy my visit here. The ambience and surroundings are delightful, staff is extremely helpful and the food is the icing on the cake! Delicious!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food!NikkiDined on 6/26/2014Not only was the service fast, but the food was to die for; I could eat The Spicy Rock Shrimp all day! Although there was a great vibe, it became a bit noisy as this location is smaller than the one on Bay St.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/24/2014Outstanding sushi and sashimi. Still thinking about the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blowfish is a must go toshickerDined on 6/19/2014Blowfish is a great restaurant. Excellent selection of Sushi sand shashimi. Pricing is quite excellent for a downtown spot offering such an energetic vibe. Would definitely go again and plan to stay much longer than this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/31/2014Always great food, quick and friendly service. Also very convenient location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been betterNigelSatchmoDined on 5/25/2014We were in from out-of-town. Blowfish was recommended by a friend as a really great place to get together and eat. We ordered a broad array of items off of the menu and found many of them unsatisfying. The Nigiri was unappetizing to the eye and lacked the pop of freshness we have come to expect from the sushi we eat at home. The same was true for the sushi rolls. Each of the 'cooked' items in our order were unseasoned and therefore lacked any distinctive flavor that would have us come back. The area in which this restaurant is located is loaded with other places to eat......we will choose the others.
- Not exceptionalbeebeeboobooDined on 5/22/2014Food here was mediocre, compared to other Japanese-fusion-Izakaya type restaurants in the same price range. Everything food/drinks/service/ambience was mediocre.Special Features:
- Good food on someone else's dimeAzieDined on 5/20/2014Service is great and food is decent. The scallops both nigiri and hot plate were excellent and memorable but their signature ebi shooter is really unnecessary and a great money maker for them. This is a great place to impress clients and out of town guests. It's really expensive for the amount of food. Other than that, if you are craving fresh sushi and no ambiance I recommend 930 sushi just down the street. It's take out but the fish is from the same suppliers as this restaurant and is much easier on your wallet.Special Features:
- Gr8FoodDined on 5/18/2014The service was amazing. The waitress brought us our second round of drinks free bc she said they were short staffed however I didn't even realize they were!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very ExpensiveDavid7664Dined on 5/11/2014Food was great but astronomically expensive. 5 people no alcohol $325.00 WOW!!!
- Food is not worth the priceFoodLoverVIPDined on 4/29/2014We've been here a number of times and have always enjoyed it in the past. This time the restaurant was almost empty. We waited forever for any dishes and then they came all at once. We looked forward to the tuna tacos and they were tasteless. And not cheap!! To be honest, nothing we ate was special.
- Not badBeuxb33Dined on 4/28/2014It's considered to be the best sushi place in town. The food is not bad, but definitely not the best. Oh and did I mention how pricy it is? I couple of sashimi and tempura will run you well above $100Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the atmosphere and foodLinoDined on 4/25/2014First time at Blowfish and I thoroughly enjoyed my meal and evening. The only thing I think they should consider is proper signage. It was very difficult to explain to friends where it is other than the street number.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- miss the wagubringbackthewaguDined on 4/24/2014We celelbrated my daughters birthday here last year and we were excited to return this year. But they changed the decor, the bar, and the cool washrooms. The menu has also changed and our favourite item, the wagu beef cooked on a hot rock is no longer on the menu. We still had a good time and the food is still excellent but not sure if we will go back without the wagu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentMiaMeDined on 4/12/2014The food is always amazing. This is the most innovative sushi I have ever had. No dish I have ever tried is just o.k., they all become my new favourite. The mixologist is THE BEST, not just drinks but works of art. My favourite is Caribou Crossing but they make a killer Mojito. Great service and atmosphere. Love the new interior design and looking forward to the new outdoor patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointedRiksDined on 4/4/2014the service was terrible. they kept coming to our table SO Many times, would not leave us alone and the waitress had a such bad attitude because we did not order alcohol or too many dishes. the food was so expensive for such small portion. terrible service overall. very snobbish and not welcoming extremely disappointed.
- Tried it allBirthdaygirllllDined on 3/20/2014Our server was amazing! We asked her so many questions & based in what we liked she made amazing suggestions. The food was glorious, the flourless chocolate torte made my life better. I recxend this for sushi lovers! & wine lovers! Try a bottle of cloudy bay!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hosting Friends from EuropeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/13/2014A great night. Ambience , food and service rocked. My guests couldn't stop raving about the experience. Thank you Blowfish. Our server Alex was friendly and engaging. She made sure our glasses were never empty and was knowledgable of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerKAY1977Dined on 3/11/2014Excellent experience! It was a birthday dinner celebration and the service was superior. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and the experience was quite lovely. I would recommend this restaurant to any sushi lover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.