Blowfish on Bay
Bay Adelaide Centre
333 Bay Street
Toronto, ON M5H 2R2Neighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
JapanesePrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Blowfish on Bay
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://blowfishrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4168600606x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday to Friday 11:30am to 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday to Friday 4:00pm to 10:30pm;
Saturday CLOSED ; Open for private events
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: G. Q. Pan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, BYO Liquor, Entertainment, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please visit our website at
blowfishrestaurant.com for details.
- Cross Street: Adelaide
- Public Transit: Queen Subway Station, No. 6 Bay Bus stopping at Adelaide St West, 501 Queen Street Car to Queen and Bay, 504 King Street Car to King and Bay
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Bay Adelaide Centre Parkade at
3 Richmond Street West (South side of Richmond just west of Yonge),
Parking Validation From 5:30pm-6:30am Daily
Toronto City Hall Nathan Phillips Square Garage 110 Queen Street West (North-West corner of Queen and Bay)
A word from Blowfish on Bay
Passion for our cuisine, sake, wine and genuine hospitality is our inspiration to provide friendly, unpretentious, confident and flawless service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Blowfish on Bay - Best Restaurants in Downtown/ Financial District ›
Blowfish on Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (16)fit for foodies (13)special occasion (12)good for groups (9)hot spot (7)romantic (5)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (2)neighborhood gem (2)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Horrible serviceDisappointedDined on 9/12/2014My friend got trapped in their bathroom! Apparently this has happened before and yet there is no signage. It is a clear safety issue. We asked to speak to the manager ... But no one ever came to apologize !! That's not how you're supposed to treat your customers. Needless to say we're never going back.
- Another good lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014I love this place, it's pricey but that's what you're going to get being in the financial district on Bay Street. Unlike other pricey places in the area the food and service is very good. Our server helped us find the dishes we liked and suggested items that we hadn't tried before and they were great.Special Features:
- Superb lunch!ShamimaDined on 8/25/2014I had not been to Blowfish for over 2 years and thought of going back with a good friend for lunch on a Monday, to start off the week on a happy note. My friend was new to working in the downtown core and I picked Blowfish for lunch. What a fantastic idea that was! We started off with 2 different kinds of sushi rolls, and kept them coming ... Our favourite was the Coconut Bay, which we ordered twice!Special Features:
- A solid opportunitygladlotusVIPDined on 8/22/2014solid menu and good service, a great place for a business lunchSpecial Features:
- Great service average foodAboudDined on 8/20/2014I think the title says it all, we went their with expectation of different Japanese experience, we had the rock shrimp sushi that everyone recommending it and surprisingly it is just good nothing outstanding. Our main dishes were yummy we had the sizzling steak and the cod and both are great but again not the best.
- Delicious!JoeeDined on 8/18/2014As far as sushi in the city goes, I really enjoying eating at blowfish. They source the freshest ingredients, staff are super friendly and the spicy tuna rock shrimp is to die for. Bartenders are amazing as well, one of the few places I can actually get a well made old fashioned. Certainly on the pricier side but well worth it if you are looking for quality sushi with some pretty unique dishes!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/13/2014Great for lunch work lunch in the financial district, was in and out within the hour.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindluvgoodfoodDined on 7/30/2014This gem is tucked away on Bay St, with great service and exquisite food. We asked our server to bring us a selection of dishes without looking at the menu and the presentation and taste were to die for. A great lunch and dinner venue with a certain buzz to the placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blowfish makes the gradeTorosanDined on 6/21/2014The sake was fresh and perfect, great presentation and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- INCREDIBLEFp06Dined on 6/14/2014For most Bay Street restaurants, the food was absolutely outstanding, servers were always helpful to recommend and had a smile. For a first-time visit, there really isn't anything bad to say, other than, keep it going!Special Features:
- LOVE ITALKERWIDined on 5/29/2014LOVE THE FOOD AND SERVICE THE ONLY THING IS PARKING BUT ALL TORONTO IS LIKE THAT SO NOT BADSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, didn't reach expectationsDaneliDined on 5/24/2014The entrance was really pretty, the whole restaurant was well designed in general. The ambiance was too cool, it was too quiet. I would return for a business lunch with co-workers. We both absolutely loved the melting taste of the Spicy tuna with rock shrimp and of course the Pino Grigio perfectly chilled. We didn't enjoy the one with white mashed potato looking flambé sushi (loved the concept, but the burning taste didn't suit as well as on a marshmallow and the fish and salty taste were too present and inadequate). The orange + black was refreshing just like the server described it, but nothing more. The server was really friendly and nice.Special Features:
- The following 153 reviews are from the Blowfish on Bay reviews archive.
- UrbanjoeUrbanjoeDined on 5/15/2014Thus was my first time here. Was treating a guest to lunch. It was a really great experience. Our waiter was outstanding and knowledgable. Both my guest and I are sushi/sashimi lovers and "Blowfish" did not disappoint. Highlight was the spicy tuna roll and the black cod dish to share. Definitely will be back. Also, might add that I felt it was also a good value for the money.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/7/2014Food was average and overpriced, service was really slow... the restaurant was not full, so I am not sure why it was so slow. The one thing that was a standout was the spicy tuna roll with rock shrimp. Actually the rock shrimp was the star. Mayaswell have a bowl of those (they were amazing), you could not taste the tuna at all. Rest of the sushi/sashimi ordered was just average.
- bestALKERWIDined on 5/3/2014best pleas to be for late night or lunch I LOVE ITSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serversmac385VIPDined on 4/28/2014The food was great, we order the big sashimi plate for 2, but the waitress was the best part. Super helpful and full of recommendations!
- Japanese chicOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2014I made a reservation for 5 people with guests staying at the Trump hotel so this was very convenient as it's right around the corner. By the time of our reservation I had 2 additional people joining us and they were VERY accommodating with our last min additions. They seated us in the circular semi-enclosed table that fit 7 of us very comfortably. The semi enclosure made it so it was partially private and easier to hear each other. They were fantastic in suggestions on what to order for the group. I would have liked to have tried more different rolls, but with the group we ordered more of the items we liked. I would definitely go again to try a variety of more items so I can get a better feel of the dishes.Special Features:
- Good but priceyFoodieDined on 4/26/2014Drinks were very good but far too pricey. $18.00 for a caesar...come on really??? Would have ordered another but too expensive. Food was very good and some items were fantastic. Portion size was a little on the small side but overall a great dining experience. Would recommend this to a friend but caution them on the price and portion size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably ExcellentDaveVIPDined on 4/17/2014This is one of the freshest Sushi Venues in the city. It's sister at King and Bathurst is less business oriented. I would not hesitate to recommend either if your budget fits $$$$.Special Features:
- love Blowfish but not this locationmushuDined on 4/12/2014Disappointed with my recent experience. Unfortunately the King street location was booked so I ended up at the Bay Street location for my wife's bday. 1) no atmosphere 2) service was so so. Long time to get drinks and no follow-up by waiter once the food arrived I don't plan to return to this location.
- Excellent food! I would highlyKoveDined on 4/7/2014Excellent food! I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, sub par servicesushiloverDined on 4/5/2014First time at Blowfish on Bay - have been wanting to go for ages. Food was superb! - lived up to the hype. But the service and whole 'experience' - wow - that was poor. Almost comical. From the moment we walked in - to find a confused looking greeter say - can I help you? - in a tone as if to say 'what are you doing here'?? - NOT - Hi, welcome to Blowfish, how can I help - do you have a booking? To the server who poured soya sauce all over our table! Clearly she wasn't even paying attention. And then the fact that no one really knew much about the wine/drinks - when asked. And of course to our table, which was right at the front door - when there were clearly a TON of empty tables elsewhere. All very strange. Maybe it's a weekend thing?Special Features:
- Food, ambience, service.FoodFoodFoodDined on 3/28/2014Great service. Our server checked on us quite a few times during our meal. The food was great, just that the fried eggplant was too sweet and the dipping sauce that came with my tempura tasted like nothing. It had no flavour. Apart from those details, everything else was really good. I really enjoyed my meal over here, will definitely be back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great during the week!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/22/2014Great food, but I would go to the location on King Street on the weekends :) More energetic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi I have ever hadMiaChanModelDined on 3/21/2014I always knew sushi was amazing, but I never knew it could be made THIS great. It was delicious, presentation felt luxurious and service was appropriate and courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCanadaGooseDined on 3/21/2014We have been having regular Friday ''payday' lunches at Blowfish on Bay for 1+ year. The most recent visit was this Friday and during that visit, we noted that the menu had change and so had the food and not for the better. Spending $150+ on a lunch was always a special occasion and we would relish the food experience. The food was not only 'pretty' - well presented, but also of a high quality. From the look and taste on Friday, we new something had drastically changed. We asked the server and she had indicated a change in ownership last August. Eureka - that explained the sub-par pedestrian type food that we were served. We couldn't even finish my faves - the fried donuts. Will not be going back - ever.
- Going againAKfoodieDined on 3/18/2014Great, interesting menu. The only disappointment was the spring rolls. But I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our waiter was just plainOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014Our waiter was just plain rude, food was great but the service was awful.Special Features:
- Incredible FoodScottGDined on 3/8/2014After living in Vancouver for sever years I'd thought there wouldn't be any restaurants in Toronto that could compare but Blowfish proved me wrong. Easily the best sushi I've ever had. Sake list was impressive and a perfect pairing for the melt in your mouth sashimi. Worth every penny. Fantastic service. Perfect place for a late night dinner on a night out in the big city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still GoodStacyDined on 3/8/2014It's not a new restaurant but that doesn't mean it's not still a great place to go. The service is excellent. Lots of attention to detail and the food is great! Worthwhile to try or to revisit.Special Features:
- The original Blowfish hadFoodie31VIPDined on 3/8/2014The original Blowfish had a better vibe and more ambience. Although it was not surprising that the financial district Blowfish would have minimal traffic, it was disappointing restaurant experience. The restaurant was designed well, and probably during the week it is a great spot. Our waitress was a bit awkward and service was really fast. The food was good- but not worth the price tag.Special Features:
- Great food with a great price tagOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/4/2014The food was great, new and quite innovative menu - we ended up ordering a second round of food we enjoyed it so much! In doing so the overall price was pretty high, you remember that you're on Bay St and most will be pulling out the corporate card to pay - luckily we did too. We were there on a Tuesday night (9pm booking) and it was pretty lively - a little more than I was expecting. Don't get me wrong, it's great if you're going with friends or clients you're happy to kick back, have drinks however we were having some work related discussions and the noise levels were a little too high. Not a criticism of the restaurant at all, this was my first time there so not a great choice of venue on my part for those types of 'work' dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosphere not for everyoneHungryVIPDined on 2/27/2014The food was great and the service friendly and quick, but the atmosphere was a turnoff. Waitresses sitting on client laps. Loud and brash Bay Streeters that are rude and act as if they own the place. The unisex washroom is uncomfortable and of curious design. I wouldn't return. The place is kind of seedy.Special Features:
- Great sushi with an edgeCBrockDined on 2/24/2014After viewing some of the reviews on here, I realized they do not do this place justice. For those who are looking for a quiet, reserved, and frankly boring restaurant to quickly eat and leave - well this place is NOT for you. This is an energetic, fun atmosphere that is fit for people who are looking for something different to go with their amazing sushi. The liveliness of this place is so unique and hip for a sushi restaurant and we loved it. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Creative Sushi but Art Has Its CostEd2goVIPDined on 2/18/2014Service was delightful at Blowfish. The creativity in their own sushi creations was notable. When it comes to simpler maki or sushi though, it is difficult for a restaurant to really distinguish itself. Let me also state my bias. The room for excellence in sushi is far more limited than in the full range of Japanese food. Quite simply, my reticence to recommend Blowfish is based on value for money. The three of us EACH had about 9 pieces of maki and one small hand roll. Add to that two teas, an edamame and one dessert. An all-in cost of $175 for three people just seemed too much for that. In fairness, if you want a beautiful ambience and some creative sushi, and if the cost is not an issue for you, then this is a fine choice.Special Features:
- Spend a lot, get a little...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014I've been to hole in the wall sushi place that had better food for a fraction of the price. Was not happy at all. Would not go back!
- UnderwhelminghappyscotsmanDined on 2/14/2014My husband I were really looking forward to a romantic dinner out on a recent weekend retreat to Toronto. A friend had recommended Blowfish and we booked our tables several weeks in advance. The server was very nice and helpful but the noise level was so high we couldn't carry on a conversation. The food was tasty but portions were small and items arrived in strange order (our drinks arrived just before we finished our last dish). I cannot say that we would return, there are too many other places to try and it wasn't outstanding.
- Love thsi placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/12/2014First time patron and will definitely be back again and again.Everything we ordered was delicious and so fresh. The staff attentative and friendy.Special Features:
- Good for Dinner, Great for LunchFarrukhDined on 2/10/2014This place never disappoints. Everything tastes better here from sashimi, to sushi to their mains. It's surprisingly cheap for lunch and great for lunch meetings. Its quiet and subtly impressive.Special Features:
- favoured sushi hauntdiner0000Dined on 2/7/2014I dined on friday night with a friend and my son, the waiter was incredibly helpful and made sure our dining experience was outstanding. Truly enjoyed the experience and look forward to the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.