Block and Tackle, Formerly Wafu
3113 SE Division St.
Portland, OR 97202Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Block and Tackle, Formerly Wafu
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.blockandtacklepdx.com/
- Phone: 5032360205x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday to Sunday: 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Trent Pierce
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access
A word from Block and Tackle, Formerly Wafu
Headed by Chef Trent Pierce, a third generation seafood chef, Block and Tackle is his vision of Casual Local Seafood. The menu features a combination of classics, like Shrimp Louis and Clam Chowder with homemade Oyster Crackers, as well as Trent’s own Seafood creations. Fresh Oysters, Seafood Charcuterie and amazing cocktails make Block and Tackle a must for Portland Diners.Continued
For a modernist approach to seafood, visit Chef Trent Pierce's acclaimed Roe, also located at this address.
For a modernist approach to seafood, visit Chef Trent Pierce's acclaimed Roe, also located at this address.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Block and Tackle, Formerly Wafu - Best Restaurants in Southeast Portland ›
Block and Tackle, Formerly Wafu reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)fit for foodies (10)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (4)good for groups (3)hot spot (3)great for lunch (2)special occasion (1)Show More
- Not so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014This was our second time here and it wasn't as good. The salad was overdressed. The wine selection sparse. The coffee cold. The server was overwhelmed. Maybe it was a bad night and some people didn't show up to work. Whatever, we won't be back.
- Over hypedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Was looking for more fresh fish / seafood options, but was disappointed that everything was fried or in sandwiches. With other quality "seafood" restaurants closer, I don't feel the compelling reason to go back.
- Fish & chips + oysters2tasty4uDined on 8/29/2014This is a nice little local joint for fish and chips. Also has a really great lineup of oysters. Very tasty. They do not however have a wide selection of grilled fish entres. Expected to get some nice salmon or halibut and instead had a tasty fried fish sandwich and some peel and eat shrimp. May actually be a better lunch spot. Would have hoped for a bit more variety from a fish specialty house. Still miss the Wafu edamame.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/24/2014Enjoyed, peel and eat shrimp, calamari, fried cauliflower, scallop special, fish and chips, clam and fries and grilled ceasar. Everything delicious and excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fresh seafoodbikesalotDined on 7/31/2014Wonderful oysters and great main course with an attentive waitstaff made for a memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive for nothing specialkolobok73Dined on 7/26/2014I was pretty excited to see a restaurant specializing in fish amidst the bustle of Division St.. I noticed that it was fairly basic fare with a price tag that was a bit high, so I was wary, but thought I'd give it a shot. We started with an appetizer of dirty corn and the grilled caesar salad. The dirty corn was especially lovely with some nice spice. The grilled caesar was about what you'd expect. My wife had the rockfish and chips and said the fish was extremely greasy and the batter underwhelming. Our friend and I both had the clams and fries. The clams were tasty, but not what we'd expect given the price. The fries were also just OK. The service was great, as is the ambience - we loved the chalk drawings along one wall.Special Features:
- Great oysters but you pay for them.FoodisLifeDined on 7/25/2014Really more of an shellfish bar than seafood restaurant. That being said, the oysters were fresh and delicious, the clams were nicely seasoned and succulent, the shrimps perfectly grilled, but there was a real lack of fish entrées. The halibut fish and chips were excellent, deep fried, but not greasy, and the meat was moist, sweet, and flaky tender. The service was attentive, yet not intrusive, it was friendly, competent and available. I will go back but more for an oyster, beer, calamari happy hour than for dinner...Special Features:
- Very good but could be betterMetalcraftDined on 7/19/2014For a place this size, service could be better. It didnt seem super busy when we were there so I would expect dirty plates to be cleared more frequently. Starters were the standouts: dirty corn, oyster shooters, Crab louie. Seafood cocktail was average. While the roll and oysters were great, the delicate flavor of the oysters were overshadowed by too much whole grain mustard on the po boy. I would go back as i see potential.....Special Features:
- The following 51 reviews are from the Block and Tackle, Formerly Wafu reviews archive.
- Tasty friend fishTablepourdeuxDined on 5/30/2014We came here for dinner, but when we realized everything was fried decided to return later for a lunch meal. We had some tasty calamari (not too breaded!) and lovely cocktails to hold us over.Special Features:
- Great food!JennyDined on 5/30/2014The seafood cocktail (shrimp, scallop, calamari, cocktail sauce, avocado) was super tasty. The grilled oysters with chilli-lime butter was also really good. The happy hour prices could be a bit cheaper and when I ordered the grilled oysters, the waitress said the happy hour $1 off didn't apply to those oysters. The happy hour menu states: $1.00 off all oysters in house...hmm ok. I chose not to argue the point and she wasn't rude about it or anything. The fried calamari was decent. I had one drink as well and I split the bill w/ my friend and still paid $35.50 (for happy hour). I will definitely go back and recommend this place to others. I also look forward to trying Roe in the back one of these days. Very much a foodie place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers daytootsDined on 5/11/2014we went thinking they had a special brunch for Mothers Day. Not true. We ordered and got our drinks and appetizers and my husband suddenly got ill and we had to take our food to go. When we got home my entrée of chowder was missing. I don't know if we were charged for it, but I was very disappointed.Special Features:
- Great good but slow serviceFrawnkDined on 5/9/2014Waitress and hostess were friendly and attentive, food was fantastic (oysters, crab louie and seared cod special), but the service was really slow. It was a busy night, but it took about 45mins to get our entree and about 20mins for a half dozen oysters on the half shell. Perhaps they were short staffed? I'll be back, but it won't be on my short list in that neighborhood. There are so many other options nearby.Special Features:
- Tight space but fine foodNomNomDined on 5/9/2014We arrived at B&T Friday night to a bottleneck of people in/around the front door. We had reservations so were seated at a tight little table with barely enough room for an appetizer and two salad plates. Very cramped, especially with the tall group-style bar tables directly around us. Not the most relaxing of setting for two people, but a fun place to park it with a group of friends if you sat up high/at the bar. Wish our hostess would have mentioned bar seating; there was plenty, and we would have rather had that vantage point. More our mistake than hers, however. Servers were fantastic... The food was fresh and flavorful; the shrimp and cod dishes we had were cooked perfectly, and a nice rendition of calamari, but not phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place.pickyeaterDined on 5/9/2014We were able to make a same-day reservation - yay! My Crab Louie salad was excellent. We both loved the fried cauliflower, too. We ran into some friends who had their kids with them, so it works for families, too. The menu is quite intriguing. I want to go back. We had to park almost three blocks away, but I'd say it was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Halt! You can't go back there!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014After an enjoyable yet overpriced meal, we attempted to go back to their bar attached and were stopped by one of the chefs and asked if we were looking for the restroom. We replied, no we were going to check out the bar that our server told us about. He quickly replied that the area was full, only 18 seats and they were reservations only. We said we just wanted to look then, to see if we wanted to come back another time. He said no, we were not allowed back there but if we came back tomorrow during the day he could show us the area. Needless to say we will not be darkening their door again. I felt as if we were trying to sneak into some back room cult; even after the server had told us it was a bar of sorts.Special Features:
- Love Portland!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014Block and Tackle is uniquely Portland. Great oysters, great seafood selections, great beer and wine, great service in a typically funky Portland setting.Special Features:
- an off nightspikeDined on 4/18/2014We were comped the few items we did receive after a 2 hour wait to get served at our table. The management did recognize the difficulty we had with a new waiter and several incorrect orders as well as an incorrect bill, but there is a greater problem there than just the server. The food, I received fresh oysters instead of grilled - they were fresh and good just not ordered. We requested cauliflower without chilies - they came with chilies but the cauliflower was good if you like chilies. The fish and chips arrived for one in our party - she said it was hot and good. We finally gave up on our food, left and had ice cream at salt and straw for dinner.
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/6/2014The peel, crispy shrimp dish was devious! The fish and chips were the best I have had in a long time. Our service was excellent and the drinks were perfect! Thanks for an evening of delightful dining.Special Features:
- Happy Hour Go To!viaJamesMichaelDined on 4/5/2014The first time I came here my girlfriend and I ordered each item on their happy hour. It came in at around $45 and was delicious. We had a great time sampling everything while enjoying wine and cocktails. The staff is always attentive, accommodating and knowledgeable. I have been back several time since, and while I haven't gotten many entree's I would still recommend this place as the atmosphere, staff, and food that I have tried have all hit their mark.Special Features:
- 3rd time was a charm!KPaulDined on 3/29/2014So we went to Block & Tackle 3 wknds in a row! Not intentionally, it just happened. We first went for drinks & appetizers and sat at the bar. Classic cocktails exquisitely made by Kevin and the best grilled oysters, ever. The second visit we made a point of going back so we could experience dinner and we were as impressed by our first visit that we quickly made reservations for 6 and brought friends. The farm table is a lovely spot to dine and we quickly engaged with the party sitting next to us and again everything about Block & Tackle was spot on. An absolute must try for anyone that loves the freshest seafood available, classic cocktails, a nice wine list and local brews and service that is stellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I thought it was FINE butOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/29/2014I thought it was FINE but I doubt I would seek it out again as a destination restaurant. Most of the previous reviews raved about all the seafood options. Maybe they've changed their menu since the previous reviews were written, but most of the menu consisted of options like Fish&Chips, PoBoy sandwiches, fries, more fried food. There was only one salad. The clam chowder had butter swimming on the top. Calamari was good. Brussel sprouts were good. There were two specials (sturgeon and minced seafood on linguine). Sturgeon was very good. Overall, fairly ordinary.Special Features:
- Great dinner out, excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/23/2014Great dinner out, excellent food, nice atmosphere. Good place to have a leisurely dinner and hang put and talk afterward. Loved the Key Lime pie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing-to-write-home-about foodLovetoeatoutDined on 3/21/2014After reading other reviews, I ordered fish and chips and a salad. Other than fried capers, the salad was unimaginative. Fish and chips were comparable to any other in town- for a fish focused restaurant, I was expecting something special. Not worthy of a reservation.Special Features:
- Pedestrian FareanonVIPDined on 3/8/2014Loved Wafu but not this. The first dish of brussel sprouts & lardon was very good. However, the fish dishes were disappointing. I am not sure how a few large shreds of undressed ice berg qualify as slaw. The chef's take on Remoulade sauce was disappointing. It was killed by red pepper flakes (and having eaten at enough places in NOLA - that would not fly). The clams and linguine were also ruined by a heavy hand with chili flakes. And in looking at passing plates it seems the chef suffers from either a fixation on chili flakes or a lack of imagination. It was clear throughout out our meal that the focus of the house is selling alcoholic beverages & not food. Every server interaction included a sales pitch for drinks. I will not return.Special Features:
- So-soYellowJacketDined on 3/1/2014Reservation for 7PM not honored until 7:20. Hostess unwilling to comp a drink or appetizer. Seated near the door...at a table in traffic lane. Food is upscale pub grub. If you go, use it for the happy hour.Special Features:
- Amazing Seafood!MarkBDined on 2/21/2014Must try the Seafood Cocktail under Small Plates! Great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place, but Not for a DateRussellTurnerDined on 2/21/2014We arrived for our 7:00 pm reservation for our monthly date night and were finished with our dinner by 7:30. We ordered a second drink and stretched it out over a dessert... which would have been better with coffee if the experience lasted a little longer. The food was very good, and speed is a hard thing to complain about, but dropping $150 in 45 minutes is more of a Vegas experience than a special date night out. We would go back for lunch, or maybe with friends when its more comfortable to fight rushed service, but definitely not for date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!Foodie31Dined on 2/16/2014Brought out of town (vegetarian) friends here over the long weekend! Were all anticipating a great meal. Block and Tackle totally delivered! Three of us had the outstanding fish and chips (the other had the excellent cod sandwich). Between us we sampled the seafood cocktail, a variety of oysters on the half shell, a couple of oyster shooters and a fresh; delicious green salad. We enjoyed cocktails, beer and wine among us. The only disappointment was the butterscotch pudding which we shared. While quite tasty, it could use more butterscotch flavor. The service was friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. We are all still talking about the perfect fish and chips. Best in town! We will be back and we 'll be bringing more friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's dinner so-sotodafudyDined on 2/15/2014My sweetheart and I decided to check out Block & Tackle, as it had a decent write-up in Willamette Week. We were "satisfied" but less than impressed. The ambiance is almost lacking, menu selection quite limited, and the menu is pricey vis-a-vis the price/value relationship in my opinion. I had the mussels and fries; she had scallops. The food was good, but not exceptionally so. Given the restaurant was quite busy, I can understand the lack of superior service by the wait staff.Special Features:
- Good Food, Good ServiceBriBriDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I thought the food was very good. Service was very good. We had reservations, it was a little busy and we were offered a free beverage while we waited. The wait was not too long and once seated all food was delivered in a timely manner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the triprandjcDined on 2/14/2014The food was very fresh and delicious and the service was quite good. We made a reservation and found, when we arrived, that we were to sit at a long table with others and we had to sit across from each other. We don't like to sit across from each other and asked if we could sit next to each other and were told we would have to move to the bar. Other than that the evening was very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try it if only for the oystersLovefoodVIPDined on 1/29/2014Seriously this is a great spot, interesting menu. Our problem? We did not fancy the flavors of the dishes we tried... Mackerel, cod sandwich...but that was us. I would still encourage you to give it a try. If you like oysters, you have to go.Special Features:
- Very good except parkingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/25/2014The food was excellent. The wait for our entrees was a little long, but worth the wait. Something needs to be improved in that area for me to go back there or to a number of other good restaurants on Division. It took me 15 minutes to find a parking place on the street. The construction of numerous apartments/condos in close proximity made it worse, but I can't imagine what will happen when those folks move in.Special Features:
- Interesting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/22/2014Seafood menu was more interesting than many other Portland restaurants. Our grilled oysters and fish and chips were excellent.Special Features:
- excellence from the seaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/15/2014Initially we were seated upfront, which I'd recommend against-too dark and no energy.. We asked to be moved further into the restaurant. We ended up at two of the six chefs seats - which were excellent. The service at those seats comes from the bartender and was fantastic. I'd recommend siting there, the cool bar or the community table. All the food was excellent and not rushed. Will definitely return and also plan to visit during their happy hour, which sounds excellent as well.Special Features:
- A little disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/15/2014I was enthusiastic about eating at Block and Tackle since I had heard so many good things. The room was half empty when we arrived and it took a few minutes to be greeted. Our table was fine. Our server was fine - as attentive as she needed to be (which wasn't very much). The main problem was with the food. We all had fish and chips at our 4 top and the fish was great but the chips were too salty to eat. Now I get it, I like salt, I like salty chips but these were bordering on inedible. And for 16 bucks, which is spendy here for that dish, it would have been nice to eat all of it. If you like fish and chips, order it but request specifically they go easy on the salt.Special Features:
- Superb!ZethPaysDined on 1/10/2014I was so pleasantly surprised with the quality and unique selection. Small, intimate, lively ambiance--fun kitchen seating to watch all the excitement and everything being prepared. Definitely a must-try for seafood lovers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Seafood, Delicious!DelaneyVIPDined on 1/10/2014I can't wait to go back to Block & Tackle. Their seafood stew over israeli coucous in a tomoto broth had beautiful fresh herbs over the top for an incredible combination of flavors. Their veggie sides like roasted brussel sprouts with bacon and fried cauliflower were perfectly cooked and so delicious. I also appreciate their portion sizes which were ample (I like to eat and I don't like small restaurant portions!). The service was right on the mark. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummyoysterloversDined on 1/10/2014Our first time back there since Wafu closed down. I'll miss Wafu but totally loved B+T!Special Features:
- Great Seafood on DivisionAllisonDined on 1/5/2014The hostess and server were both very friendly, welcoming and attentive and the atmosphere was wonderful for a date night. It also seems like a nice place to go with a small group of friends. It hurts to pay almost $3 per oyster on the half-shell, but they were delicious and so worth it. They have $1 off options for happy hour so I will definitely go back for that. Tasty cocktails and the Lifeguard's Stew was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.