720 Shephard Dr
Houston, TX 77007Neighborhood:
Midtown / Montrose
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.block7wineco.com/
- Phone: 7135722565
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday: 11:00am - 12:00am, Saturday: 12:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Miguel Hernandez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live Music on Sundays from 7:00pm - 9:00pm.
A word from Block 7
Block 7 offers wine inspired cuisine that marries local with comfortable. Our ambition is to be a place where our guests can enjoy eating every night; so in turn we created a menu with seasonal flavors and unique interpretations of classic dishes that entertains the senses as much the wines we serve.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Block 7 reviews from OpenTable diners
- great food, bad servicecharliebrownDined on 11/2/2012I generally enjoy an evening at Block 7 - it's classy, yet casual and unpretentious; lots of quality wines, yet reasonably priced; and the flatbreads and plates to share are always winners. This time around, all of those factors remained the same, but service was non-existent. We had to ask bus-staff to help find our waiter several times. He never came to ask if we needed anything after we had placed our initial food and drink orders, and overall just seemed like he'd rather be anywhere, doing anything else than his job. Maybe he was just having an off day, but it took away from what could have been a first class Friday evening out. Fortunately everything else was spot on, and I'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- They used to have a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/2/2012They used to have a great wine list and delicious food. Now it is totally changed and not for the better. Too bad I used to really enjoy that place.
- I dined for the first timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/18/2012I dined for the first time at block 7 and loved it!Special Features:
- Go!BellyachersDined on 10/17/2012Great wines at super prices. Waitstaff knowledgeable about the wine list. Reliably good food.Special Features:
- I've tried it here twice.pkwhouVIPDined on 9/29/2012I've tried it here twice. Overall there are just not enough servers. It can take up to 15 minutes to get a drink. On the night I was there, they offered valet service, but when I went to leave to valet was gone and so was the hostess so I was standing in the middle of the bar trying to figure out where to collect my keys. Good food, just disappointing service.Special Features:
- Awesome food, needs atmosphereJAstroVIPDined on 9/29/2012Great food and wine but the place lacks character beyond some really awesome flatbreads and food offerings. Music could be a little more cohesive.Special Features:
- Their new fall menu had severalOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/28/2012Their new fall menu had several delicious offerings to tempt almost any palate. I found one of my most favorite wines that is only sold at a few locations around Houston. The group I was with were thrilled to taste the boutique wine and we had 3 lovely bottlesSpecial Features:
- The wine is good and at aHoustoniteDined on 9/26/2012The wine is good and at a good price. The menu is not that extensive and the food was just OK. The service was not on par with most other places we have been to around Houston. I would consider going back for some wine and appetizers only.Special Features:
- Loud, marginal food, and nobnallDined on 9/26/2012Loud, marginal food, and no place to park. It was like eating in a warehouse.Won't go back
- This was my first time here.pkwhouVIPDined on 9/22/2012This was my first time here. The food was good and the server tried very hard to be everywhere, but it seems like she had a lot of tables, so wasn't always there exactly when needed. Overall not a bad experience.Special Features:
- DisappointingEricHVIPDined on 9/14/2012We were there for 30 minutes and saw our waiter twice. There were 4 of us and we ordered 4 drinks, 3 of which were cocktails, one was a glass of wine. Our waiter brought one drink out because it was the only one that was ready (ironcially, a cocktail). We finally got the other 3 and the "snacks" we ordered as appetizers: truffled popcorn, cheesy potato bites and the rissoto balls. The popcorn was stale. It was around 9:00 on Friday night and when we voice concern about the stale popcorn we were assured it was fresh, made that day, at 4:00. It's popcorn, why can't it be made to order? 5 hour old popcorn that has been sitting out is not going to be fresh. The fried potato things were room temp. We walked out and went to Kata Robata instead.
- Block7 Never DisappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2012Block 7 never disappoints. The menu selection isn't huge but what the do have, they do well. Truffle Popcorn is a must. It's moderately priced and always fresh, flavorful, and pairs well with the wine selections. Im a big fan of the Watermelon Salad with a crisp Sauvignon Blanc in the Summer. The Burger is also fantastic with a Punot Noir and you can't beat those fries! I do wish they had more description of the wines on the menu but I still manage to find new favs. It's close to home and not always packed- Its sort of a non-hidden gem.Special Features:
- Great burgers and optionsGillyVIPDined on 8/22/2012Great burgers and options for healthy diets as wellSpecial Features:
- One of my favoritesMikeVIPDined on 8/14/2012One of our favorite and most frequented restaurants. The ambiance is informal, the food is excellent, and the wine list is extensive. The truffle popcorn and a glass chardonnay are a great way to start. The cherry smoked pork chop with a glass of Block 9 Pinot Noir is always a fantastic choice.Special Features:
- Cool atmosphere with a modern vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2012The gourmet burger and cheese tots are some of the best Houston has to offer. The rabbit sausage and braised rabbit/fig/arugula pizza are at the top of my list too. Nice wine selection by the glass with something for everyone's tastes at average prices and they have liquor now as well. Cool atmosphere with a modern vibe and great food. Block 7 instantly became one of my favorite regular hot spots.Special Features:
- Food is always great and theBrentDined on 8/4/2012Food is always great and the wine list is quite good with a very reasonable bottle mark up. Always happy here!Special Features:
- What Block 7 lacks in ambianceSingleTravelerVIPDined on 6/9/2012What Block 7 lacks in ambiance and attentive service it makes up for the short comings in delicious food and excellent value. Will definitely return.
- All the food was really goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/9/2012All the food was really good & our server (Monica) was lovely. Great wine knowledge. Beef, grits, and mustard greens all delicious & portion size was great. Only two minor complaints. Appetizer needed salt & none on table. Entree was dropped on table by someone other than server while I still had 3/4's of appetizer to eat. Would certainly recommend/ go back.Special Features:
- Overall experience was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/9/2012Overall experience was very good. First time visit for party of four. Ambiance was good, however no music playing in the background? Greeted and sat right away. Service was pleasant, professional, and well versed. Service was slow at times, it looked like our server had a very large station and just had trouble getting to all tables. Food and wine were both excellent. Server made nice recommendations for our party. We had had a good time and will be back again. Highs:Food and wine selection. Knowledgeable staff. Lows:No background music and service slow at times.Special Features:
- Group of 7 met after workOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/31/2012Group of 7 met after work here for dinner and drinks. Service was excellent. Shared salmon, sweet potato fries, and other apps. All were very enjoyable. The shrimp in all of the dishes was not quite up to par but all other protien and seafood were excellentSpecial Features:
- So sad this place closed.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/31/2012So sad this place closed. Food was good, wine list was great, casual atmosphere was fantastic- great place for a bottle of wine with friends or a late-night date.Special Features:
- NOT for Oenophiles or FoodiesTheBestCriticVIPDined on 3/31/2012EXTREMELY disappointed. SERVICE: Very slow, 20 minutes to get a bottle of wine, 40 minutes for appetizer, server was MIA most of the evening, entire meal took 2 hours. FOOD: Fair, nothing exciting, dishes were served tepid, over priced, nice portions. AMBIANCE: Warehouseish, messy bar and service area in dining room, looked more like a bar than restaurant (identity crisis), parking was limited. WINE: Advertised as "wine bar" pricing (retail with min. markup) but definitely full service restaurant pricing (retail X 2+), limited selection of "known" wines, most wines are obscure labels (not sure what you're getting), server wasn't knowledgeable of obscure wines, pinot noir was served at room temp (70-72 deg) rather than cellar temp (60).
- Meh....OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/24/2012I have to say that I was a little disappointed by the overall experience. Not any ONE thing, but just the cumulative effect of a bunch of little things. We were seated next to a crying baby (as the mom of 11 month old twins, I get it) but when I asked nicely to be moved, the host snidely told me that it was probably my fault the baby was crying.(!) Seriously? The service was pretty slow (maybe because we moved tables?) and the food was just ok. LOVED the simple salad and bread pudding. My husband liked his duck too. But the pappardelle was slimy, the homemade ketchup was watery and the rest of our meal just so-so.Special Features:
- Our food was fair at best,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/24/2012Our food was fair at best, which is disappointing given the prices at Block 7. Our flatbread arrived cool, under seasoned, and under topped. Our crab-cake-Monte Cristo-things were just awful. They were over breaded, soggy, and fishy. We also had a charcuterie. There was a great piece of vein cheese (cabrales?) and a bit of really nice jamon, but the rest ranged from decent to just bad. There was a slice of a dry hard cheese that may have been romano in former life that was hard but also rubbery as well. Bummer The service was also lacking. Our waitress was nice, but after taking our drink and food order she didn't come back until our glasses had been empty for quite a while. She never checked on our plates. The bussers were good, thouSpecial Features:
- Was able to sit on the patioPaulVIPDined on 3/24/2012Was able to sit on the patio and enjoy the great weather. As usual, the food and service were great. This place is always solid. Love going to Block 7.Special Features:
- Wow, we were blown away byOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/22/2012Wow, we were blown away by Block 7! Super amazing food. Great service. Fun atmosphere. We will definitely be back for another visit!Special Features:
- The servuce was good and withOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/21/2012The servuce was good and with the noise level but the food was terrible. Both he teak that I ate I wouldn't feed to my dog and my wife ate only an eigth of the lamb that she had. If you go to drink wine, it's great but eat there.Special Features:
- Wonderful food complimentedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2012Wonderful food complimented by outstanding service.Special Features:
- I had a fantastic eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/28/2012I had a fantastic evening with friends on the patio just before Houston started heating up. This was my second time there & I'd happy go back a third time. You absolutely have to order the au gratin tater tots.Special Features:
- Block 7 vs. Table 7: Things to comeOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 2/18/2012Service was horrible. Appetizers and Salads were great. Main courses were disappointing. Overall, we would rate this a 'bust.' Can you say, Block 7 and Table 7--Table 7 is a harbinger of things to come for block 7 if they can't get it together. Decide: Bar vs. Restaurant. They can't peacefully coexist when you are catering to two very different needs from a single space. Would not recommend.Special Features:
- Good for the wine, bad for the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012Aside from their wine list, there really isn't anything that sets this bistro apart from the abundance of wine bistros in Houston. You're better off going to Max's down the road. My tab was $85 for my girl friend and I, not worth it. They weren't able to seat us at our reservation time, the waitress did not offer any input on the wine list and only ran through the food list after I asked him to. We had the Salmon and Capers, fried crab and shrimp, along with a pasta of some sort. The fried crab and shrimp(our appetizer) was the only thing decent on there. Overall, good place to go for a few glasses of wine but don't expect to be blown away by their food.Special Features:
- I tried this restaurant forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012I tried this restaurant for the first time on Valentine's day. We did not have a sitter and was looking for a nice place with good food that accommodated small kids. This place did all of the above. The service was excellent, and the environment was very upbeat. There was something for everyone on the menu. I will return to this restaurant on a constant bases.Special Features:
- SubparOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/14/2012Food was very subpar for the prices. In the end we are all there for the food. I will not recommend Block7 to anyone until I have tried it again after people whose opinion I respect have told me it has improved a lot.
- It was a good experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2012It was a good experience. My dish was a little too salty but my friend dish was excerllent.Special Features:
- There was a disconnect betweenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012There was a disconnect between the food and the atmosphere. The food was great but the ambience was definitely casual. Concrete floors, exposed airducts, staff wearing jeans and casual shirts/sweaters yet dinner for 2 with a bottle of wine ($69) and tip was slightly over $200. For that kind of money - I expect a higher level of decor and service. Great place for a casual glass of wine with friends.Special Features:
- We had a very nice ValentinesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012We had a very nice Valentines dinner, the food was excellent. While the restaurant was a little less formal than expected, we were treated to great service.Special Features:
- ate all salads and sides,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/4/2012ate all salads and sides, each thing we tried was wonderful.Special Features:
- My friends and I enjoyed anOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/28/2012My friends and I enjoyed an excellent dinner at Block 7 on a Saturday night. I hadn't been in a while and was pleased to discover that they've expanded their dining room substantially, which made for a much more pleasant dining experience, since it reduced the noise level from previous times that I've been. The food was wonderful, our server was great, my friends loved their meals, too, and we will definitely be back@Special Features:
- Disappointed a second time.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/28/2012This was my second time at Block 7 after a bad experience the first time. Well, I was disappointed again. My wife and I had very bad service and very mediocre food. There too many good restaurants in Houston, two within two blocks of Block 7, to put up with this type of establishment. Do yourself a favor and try someplace else.
- I love the food here, butSarahDined on 1/27/2012I love the food here, but I have never had good service here. The waiter very rarely checked in on us other than taking our order and bringing dinner and the check.