639 J St.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://theblindburro.com/
- Phone: (619) 795-7880
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Monday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Wednesday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Tuesday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern, Mexican, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Sara Polcynski, Todd Nash
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: 7th
- Public Transit: There is a trolley station that stops on Broadway, which is 6 blocks northeast of us. The main bus route comes right down Market Street which is two blocks away.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We are located in the heart of the East Village neighborhood just of the Gaslamp in downtown San Diego. We are one block from the baseball stadium. There is pleny of metered street parking and alot of both private and public pay lots.
A word from Blind Burro
The Blind Burro specializes in fresh, coastal Baja Mexican cuisine. Our emphasis is on quality, from the customer service, to the ingredients we use in all of our hand crafted food and drinks. We want our guests to enjoy Baja Mexican fare right here in East Village, San Diego. Come in and enjoy a relaxed atmosphere where you can meet over a carafe of spicy margaritas or on tap house sangria. . Or try us for lunch with clients while enjoying steak tacos and a quinoa mixed green salad. We are also steps from Padres baseball stadium, so come in before or after the game for some Craft Beer straight from Mexicali and a terrific local craft selection! Hope to see you soon in the unique, airy and comfortable environment we have created for you in downtown San Diego.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Blind Burro - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Blind Burro reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (22)good for groups (22)hot spot (19)fit for foodies (17)neighborhood gem (16)great for outdoor dining (11)great for lunch (10)late-night find (7)great for brunch (5)special occasion (2)notable wine list (2)romantic (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/11/2014Music didn't fit theme of restaurant. Chips were REALLY HARD, as in break your teeth hard. Tacos were really good.Special Features:
- thanks yelp!aaazVIPDined on 11/8/2014While on vacation I read reviews on.yelp and found this great restaurant. Yelpers didn't let us down!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice across the streetPerinoukDined on 11/6/2014Nice Mexican inspired restaurant across the street from the Solamar where we stayed.Special Features:
- Dia De Los Muetos BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014We went as a group of six for the special dia de los meutos brunch. Every person in the group was super impressed with the food, service, and ambiance. Churro waffles...brilliant! Although the winner of the day was the seafood cockail with side car of tequilla. We will definitely be back for brunch, lunch, dinner, happy hour, or anything else offered by the blind burro with this kind of food and service!Special Features:
- Great tacos!AnonymousDined on 10/27/2014The best meal I had during my recent visit to San Diego.Special Features:
- marco/ pitamarcoDined on 9/29/2014great food our waitress was very nice to us. the location is so close to our home near downtown.Special Features:
- Service lackingOpentablefanDined on 9/28/2014Ok, I get it that it was a busy Sunday night, and I get it that we weren't going to have a full blown dinner.. But if you are there at 430 pm and are spending well over $100 on drinks and appetizers, a waitress should never try to force you out after 1 hour because they have "other reservations". I kind of understand why the place has changed names and /or ownership so many times in last several years.
- Fun but not all the rageThe3VIPDined on 9/26/2014Fun date night out Downtown, would be a wonderful pre-game spot before a Padre game. (Reservations a must.) Margaritas were good, not exceptional as we had expected…chips were really thick so you have to like that. Food was ok, it looked like just about everyone ordered the street tacos. We probably won't go back, but it is well-loved be many people!Special Features:
- Wonderful anniversary dinner!PeonyDined on 9/26/2014We chose from the Restaurant Week menu, and the food was fabulous. Our server was friendly and attentive. Eating here was one of the highlights of our weekend in San Diego.Special Features:
- DeliciousVanessaDined on 9/22/2014We went for restaurant week and couldn't have been more impressed with their menu. From the chips and salsa, to the salmon tacos and Mexican corn every bite was perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseLoveGoodFoodDined on 9/21/2014We went here for restaurant week on Sunday. The first waitress didn't know it had started so we were like, uh yeah! Anyway without asking we got another waitress who was on the ball and knew what was going on. She approached the table with the prix fix menu's. I ordered the yellowtail fish collar. It was a huge portion for the appetizer and very good. I was pleased. I got Salmon taco's for main course. You only get 2 street taco sized taco's which this time was ok, cause my appetizer was filling. The taco's were delicious as well, would definately recommend both of these items. For dessert (3rd course prix fix) I got the churro's. OMG!! these are a must have. They melt in your mouth and that vanilla been sauce it comes with is to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Mexican Skirt SteakKarenVIPDined on 9/19/2014What an amazing experience! Everything was wonderful - from our drink at the "outdoor bar", the jalapeño popper flautas and the queso especial to the most flavorful skirt steak entree! I am craving the steak with the salsa macha garnish even now! Our waiter was wonderful and very accommodating. The ambiance was fun and energetic. We ordered way too much food because we wanted to try everything. The street corn and even the poblano rice were perfect! I would highly recommend to anyone in San Diego. Right across from Petco field - so you could feel the excitement from the Padres game too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeTimGDined on 9/4/2014Great place to meet with family and friends. Food, drinks and service were awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 90 reviews are from the Blind Burro reviews archive.
- Classic taqueriaPDubVIPDined on 7/22/2014Excellent casual Mexican food and drinks right near the ballpark.Special Features:
- Awesome Baja Style TacosTimGDined on 7/19/2014Angus Skirt Steak Baja Style Tacos were great! Fun place to dine and have some drinks prior to the Padre game.Special Features:
- Perfect restaurant/bar in GasLampgarageLeeDined on 7/18/2014I brought my fiancé here for dinner on her birthday and we had a great time overall. The tacos were not exceptional, but they were more than edible (I had the beer battered mahi and my fiancé had chicken). The street corn off the cob was absolutely amazing and is a must-have if you're getting a side. There is also a crispy tortilla pizza that's great as an appetizer. We had the brownies for dessert, but they were cold and dry (definitely not baked fresh on site); they left something more to be desired, and we bet the churros are a better choice. All of that being said, great restaurant, great staff, awesome scenery and environment right in the popular GasLamp district. Do yourself a favor and check this place out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/27/2014Marginal mexican food with a limited menu for mexican items
- Helpful to a groupOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/9/2014We had a group dinner at Blind Burro in which a lot more people showed up than we originally expected. The restaurant and staff were accommodating in getting everyone (15 people) seated at a big table. They kindly split up the bill and gave everyone a receipt. We were visiting from Washington DC and it was nice to have some progressive Mexican food! It was recommended by the concierge at our hotel (the Hilton Bayfront) and it was a great fit for our purpose!Special Features:
- great place after the 1/2 marathonrunnersDined on 6/1/2014guac espacial, with chorizo, amazing. mole tacos, chicken tinga burger, pear margarita, great hostess and service. period.Special Features:
- Top of the Line Mexican!MattDined on 5/27/2014One of my favorite Mexican restaurants in San Diego. Great food, excellent service, daily food and drink specials. When there try the Cadillac Margarita.....my personal favorite! ENJOY!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun spot!Spamomof2Dined on 5/17/2014We arrived at 7:30 to an energetic crowd at the bars and outside. Our table was not quite ready so we sat at the bar for skinny margaritas (awesome). Guac was super fresh and yummy. Black bean squash cakes rock! Thought the lobster and grilled dorado tacos needed some additional spice or something.would def go again.Special Features:
- Love the BurroShtankyDined on 5/16/2014Fresh Chips, great Margaritas, and Lobster Taco's with their home made Habanero Hot Sauce is just what you need to watch the game. If you come to watch the game there are multiple tvs at the bar, but if you want to just come and hang out there's the rest of the bar/restaurant to hang out in without the distraction of a television. If you're a Hot Head, the Habanero Hot Sauce they make is first class, I wish the bottled it! If you order some you'll want to take the rest home with you. For a buck you can't go wrong. This was my favorite hang out while in San Diego for business. Can NOT wait to visit again.Special Features:
- Blind BurroMeggalDined on 5/11/2014For the most part we enjoyed our dinner however, our Guacamole was so salty that we could not enjoy it. We asked for another batch, but the server said that there was only one batch. The chips were not my favorite either so maybe it was the wrong restaurant for me and one of our party who agreed, but everyone enjoyed their meal so it was not a total miss. I had steak tacos that were light and tasty. Very fresh. The location was perfect and within walking distance of our hotel - Hilton Bayside.Special Features:
- The Burro Always Rocks!Victory19Dined on 5/5/2014This is hands down one of the best restaurants in San Diego! The food is fantastic! The drinks are great! The atmosphere is so inviting! There is a lot of bang for your buck here! They are always adding new food items and drink specials while keeping their signature items in heavy rotation. My kids love to come here and my husband likes to have date night here as well. It fits the bill for any occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly mehsturdaburnsyDined on 4/29/2014I read a ton of reviews that suggested this was a hot spot in San Diego. It must be a popular weekend or post-game (Padres) hang out and maybe a general sports bar, because when we went at 9:30pm on a Tuesday night, it was DEAD. The food was okay, although I had higher hopes in a city known for some great Mexican food. Drinks were also okay, especially at late-night happy hour prices. I might go back again if I was with a group or in town for an event, and I would make a point to sample some tequillas next time - they seemed to have an extensive selection. Otherwise, though, it felt pretty run-of-the-mill. I wouldn't go back for the food or the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Good casual Mexican foodDaveHVIPDined on 4/26/2014While they are a bit pricey for Mexican food, the atmosphere is very good. The food was also believable, but not Aaron Sanchez type. We started off with the ceviche which was very good. My salmon taco was excellent. My colleague said his skirt steak was also very good. But for a Mexican restaurant, it should cost $20. They have very good drinks and the service was very good.Special Features:
- Hit and missGeoffVIPDined on 3/31/2014Good burger but bad service. Would think twice before returningI would recommend this to a friend.
- timing is everythingartistaDined on 3/30/2014I made my reservation several weeks in advance because it was my first time in San Diego and I wanted to make certain I had lined up some interesting places to eat. I had wanted a place to meet someone I hadn't seen in awhile. I did not know that it was opening night for the San Diego Padres. Initially, there seemed to be confusion as to whether I could have a table because they were so busy. However, I was seated in the back, which seemed to be the quietest spot possible. I settled in and had a good drink and some coffee-rubbed salmon tacos. They were very good. If it was a different night, I would have loved to stick around and try some new tequilas and mescal from their extensive list.Special Features:
- Great place with spicy foodCaliforniaCubanDined on 3/28/2014My date and I loved all the cute pictures of donkeys on the wall, and the friendly service. My only issue was how both my food, and my dates food was very hot & spicy. We just might have gotten unlucky and picked the spiciest plates on the menu. We will be trying this place again in the future to see if The Blind Burro has less spicy food.Special Features:
- Great experienceRobynVIPDined on 3/22/2014We went out to Blind Burro for a mini bachelorette party dinner and this was the perfect spot. Fun scene, great service, killer drinks, awesome food. (The girls were still talking about the nachos the next day.) One of the girls was pregnant thrilled that they had a non alcoholic beer on the menu so she could semi-participate. My salad came out wrong and the waitress was AMAZING about taking it back and getting me a new one very quickly. (We had the best server ever. She was super sweet, the exact right amount of attentive and even though they were slammed- she never let us feel the stress.) The bar next door even hooked us up with a celebratory Scorpion Bowl. All in all, great spot for a fun night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- favorite neighborhood spotAIshVIPDined on 3/21/2014Food is great, bartenders are very friendly - awesome vibe and best margaritas in downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!FabSDWeekendDined on 3/21/2014We had a great time here. They have nice variety on the menu including things you don't find many places. I had the yellowtail fish collar which was very good. The chorizo taquitos were a great appetizer too. Service was good but could have been better. Wait was too long for drinks and water refills plus a waiter spilled some soda on me but no big deal. All in all good place and would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican in GaslampVeryCarrieDined on 3/15/2014The service was great and friendly, but we found the menu a bit limiting. No burritos and no enchiladas. I ordered tacos and my husband, a sandwich/tortas. We dined with friends on a Saturday night-- the restaurant was busy and loud which made it kid-friendly for us with our toddler, but a challenge to chat over dinner.Special Features:
- Noisy but yummyFocabrancaDined on 3/15/2014Food is pretty solid, at the Blind Burro, but don't go there for an intimate evening. It's great for a group of friends looking to be rowdy and whoop it up, though. Second time there, and both times I had the hamachi collar. Small enough for two but big enough for four. I've had their pozole, ceviche, skirt steak tacos, and the carnitas. All were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a terrific experience!MarciDined on 3/15/2014We love The Blind Burro! They've added a few great items to the menu! The coffee rubbed salmon tacos and the Mexican salad are great additions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Diego visitVeeCeeDined on 2/28/2014We were promptly seated and they found our reservation instantly. The place was full and vibrant with a nice beat playing in the background. The food was very good and extremely tasty. Great tacos. The service was good.Special Features:
- Okay food. Churros were yummyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/24/2014Dinner was only ok. Oysters were tasty, tacos were soggy. Vegetarian options were limited and not cohesive flavors. Margaritas were good, but quite small. The best part of dinner was the churros. If you only go here for those it's worth it.
- Tasty Drinks and Foodamp1919Dined on 2/23/2014We went there since it was around the block from the hotel where we were staying. The drinks and food were great! It's conveniently located if you're in the downtown area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very average.. AmbienceRgk23VIPDined on 2/19/2014Food was very average.. Ambience was good. Service was very slow. The salsas and guacamole for a mexican restaurant was rather flavorless.
- No blinders needed! Bonito!DineOBitesDined on 2/18/2014I'm pretty sure I've dined here now at least 10 times. I have enjoyed every morsel and every bite! Lobster tacos, garlic-chile crab claws (amazing and not spicy hot, but spicy great!), collar, bacon wrapped jalapenos, tacos of every kind. What I love the most about The Blind Burro is the clean and fresh taste of the food. Chef Sara has a true gift to make every flavor pop in your mouth without being audacious and snotty food. It's true the menu reflects the ethos of the every day .... I could eat here every day and that is saying A LOT for this diner.Special Features: