1821 Hillandale Road
Durham, NC 27705Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bleuolivebistro.com/
- Phone: 9193838502x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Mon - Fri 11am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Mon - Thur 5pm - 9:30pm | Fri & Sat 5pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Sun 11am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Sam Papanikas
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining room for any occassion.
- Private Party Contact: Angelika Papanikas 9193838502x
A word from Bleu Olive
A family operated - chef driven Mediterranean Bistro serving a fresh & local ingredient inspired menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Bleu Olive - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Bleu Olive reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (72)neighborhood gem (66)special occasion (40)great for lunch (31)great for outdoor dining (26)notable wine list (22)romantic (19)good for groups (18)great for brunch (15)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (4)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- A Wonderful Eatery!!!LouwanDined on 9/12/2014The food was the star here! From the different flavored appetizer sampling to the pistachio honey cheesecake; every dish was done to bring out its uniqueness. Salmon burger browned on outside, juicy, flavorful inside. Plenty of cheese and spinach in the flaky crusted spanakopita. My test for a Mediterranean restaurant is the soup (egg/lemon). Light broth,lots of chicken and the hint of tartness was just right! I could go on and on. Our waiter was professional and adept but personable as well. We ate outside this time, but the inside looked tasteful and inviting. If I lived in Durham this would be a place I would go to often and would bring my friends. See you on our next trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/10/2014We had the grilled saganaki, charred octopus, mushroom risotto, and steak frites. All were good and cooked perfectly! The chocolate ganache torte and hazelnut crepes were good also, but the banana cardamom gelato with the crepes while tasting great was more icy than creamy unfortunately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third VisitACLynnDined on 9/6/2014This was our 3rd visit to Bleu Olive and, as always, the experience was outstanding. The quality of food and service were truly GREAT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014This was an enjoyable evening with excellent atmosphere, food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RdodgenDined on 9/4/2014Food was outstanding, still hot when delivered. Can not compare this restaurant with any other in the area. Always busy and the waiter keeps checking back making sure we were satisfied and if we needed anything else about 2-3 times all total. The restaurant had a large crowd of customers for a Thursday night, I thought that showed you that the food was very good and had ample amount of waiters so no large waiting periods between seating, ordering, and receiving your meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome EveningMoonDined on 8/29/2014Came here with another couple, one a wine connisseur, both foodies. Everything was superb. Arrived 7 pm; left 11 pm. Great wine list. Amazing service. Imaginative menu. Only downside - rather crowded and noisy. Bartender very knowledgable. Food was luscious. This was our first visit. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gemWashingtonVIPDined on 8/27/2014This is probably the best food you're going to get in a strip mall. The menu is creative, the food is delicious, the service is great, and the drinks are fantastic. The crowd is a little older and stuffier, but that's probably because of the location: it's near a retirement community and the high-end homes that surround it, and it's one of the only good restaurants for miles.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and DrinkhortonDined on 8/25/2014Crispy NC oyster mezze was superb as was the fish special: moon fish. Delightful young waiter who was quite knowledgeable about both the food and the wine.Special Features:
- Excellent brunch!JimN70Dined on 8/17/2014Met family for brunch. It was their first visit and our first brunch there. Everything was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findLindaBDined on 8/16/2014Our waiter was nice and made suggestions. He did ask if we like calamari and suggested the sauteed calamari but my husband wanted the crispy fried calamari. It was not oily at all and perfectly cooked with two dipping sauces. We liked the preparation but there was an odd aftertaste. It may have been the breading or the oil.........not bad, just not as good as it could have been. While we waited for the calamari, bread and dipping oil was presented.The bread was just okay but the dipping oil was very good.I had the blackened snapper on a gumbo and my husband had the grouper with sauteed red peppers, spinach, and fennel. Both were perfectly cooked and delicious! We were too full for dessert.Prices were in line and portions very good.Special Features:
- DurhamranDined on 8/15/2014I do not have to write ANYTHING. Is this a literature class. It is I doing you a favor. Bye.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice mealKyleDined on 8/14/2014Nice presentation of traditional Mediterranean dishes. Flavorful, aesthetic, delicious. Would visit again.Special Features:
- Still my favorite...Nightmare94Dined on 8/13/2014This is still my favorite restaurant in the triangle.Special Features:
- Nice menuValdoDined on 8/10/2014We chose Bleu Olive to meet friends for brunch based upon the fact that they had $12 bottomless mimosas and an extensive brunch menu. When we were seated we were informed that they no longer offer the bottomless mimosas (had been removed from the menu on the table, but not from the website). That aside, their brunch cocktails were very good and reasonably priced. I love the options on their menu; much to choose from. Everyone at our table cleared their plate in a hurry, which is generally a good sign. My Mediterranean omelet was phenomenal...and quite large (considering the trend is tiny portions with high prices). The home fries were REAL home fries, as opposed to frozen potato bits that have been deep fried with no seasoning.Special Features:
- DisappointingShouldhavedinedelsewhereDined on 8/9/2014We were looking forward to a nice meal before going to the DPAC- Our server took our appetizer and entree order and then returned to our table with just our entrees- we reminded her that we had ordered an appetizer but she just shrugged and gave us our meal- My friends fish was raw in the center and she ended up sending it back- the server made no apologies to us for the disappointing experience- could not recommend this restaurant to anyone-Special Features:
- A really nice place to eatMaxtheDinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Th only reason I have not marked service with a five star is that the waiter , who was otherwise very good and not over-attentive, seemed to rush us until we told him firmly to slow down. It was not because they were seeking to turn tables, but instead just a form of service. The service could have allowed us more time and the courses, especially the first, could have arrived more slowly. As it was, the appetzer salads came while we were still having early sips of our cocktails. But this is a fine place to eat and we have been several times and taken friends to introduce them to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, but bad acousticsDurhamDinerDined on 8/2/2014This was my second time here. I loved the food the first time; was not impressed this time. I ordered the stuffed grape leaves. Instead of being thin rolls bursting with lemony flavor, they were fat rolls, heavy on the rice but light on flavor. Way too much rice. They weren't even recognizable as stuffed grape leaves. And the noise level makes an intimate dinner difficult. The acoustics are terrible. You have to shout to be heard. That being said, the service is impeccable, and it's still a lovely place to go. Just be prepared for a hit or miss experience, and don't go there if you want to whisper sweet nothings into your sweetheart's ear.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/2/2014The restaurant was extremely busy when we arrived for our reservation and we waited 20-25 minutes to be seated. The servers seemed to be working at a frenetic pace, however, sometimes going from the far side of the restaurant all the way the outdoor patio to wait on other customers rather than being assigned specific tables. Our server was always pleasant, however. I ordered the grilled octopus, which was tough and inedible; the olive spread overwhelmed any hope of tasting the grilled flavor. My husband's appetizer was the soup of the day, and was very good. The entrees were served promptly but my beef tenderloin was somewhat dry and flavorless. Great wine list, though. I doubt we will dine here again.
- Good food, terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014This place definitely has good food, but the services is lacking. The server we had seemed to be ok when he started but when we didn't take his wine suggestions, which was a bottle that cost $12 more than the one we ordered, his demeanor went down hill QUICKLY. We even told the manager about it when we were leaving and he said "yes, we know, all of our bad reviews are about him". Well hello, maybe it's time to let him go! Unfortunately we will not be returning to Bleu Olive.Special Features:
- Bleu perfectionBigWillDined on 7/26/2014Great pre-concert dinner at Bleu Olive. Food was fantastic, as was the service. The lamb was very tasty, and I had my usual Bleu cheese wedge with crispy oysters. Could not much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food, Attentive ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/25/2014We've eaten here three times since last year's Restaurant Week. The moussaka is sublime and competes with those we've eaten in Turkey and elsewhere in the Med. While not perfect, the service level here is very high. Our server, Cleopatra, was just the right amount of attentive and helpful while not being an annoyance. The only complaint we had was a busser for another table reach across a patron, dropped some silverware, and made no apology. One note is that this was the first experience with Open Table where both the hostess and server relayed our notes that we included when making the reservation. It showed an attention to detail that was reflected throughout our dining experience. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and servicebabsDined on 7/23/2014We have been to the restaurant two times with friends who have not heard of the restaurant. Each experience was excellent. The menu is diverse and all courses delicious, the service was excellent. Both times the server was informative, and the samolie knew his wines. The inside ambiance was pleasant and not noisy. We will be back again and bring more people who have not been here. Try the beet tatarre salad, oysters, fried calamari, and Scotish Salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch serviceLasVegasDined on 7/19/2014My girlfriend & I had dinner there and asked for a wine that would fit what we were eating the choice that was recommended was so good that we had a 2nd bottle just for our after dinner table talk. So if you want to go blind and have them pick a wine for you go for it!!!Special Features:
- Great food! Great service!FoodieVIPDined on 7/15/2014Bleu Olive never ceases to please. The food is delicious, and the wait staff is courteous and attentive. I will certainly keep coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good place for small celebrationgroupoutingDined on 7/15/2014nice place for lunch with a friend. food is great and pricing is correct.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful.jacnrhVIPDined on 7/11/2014This was my third time to Bleu Olive, and every time it's just amazing. The food was spectacular, as was the service. My boyfriend got a special and that was also great. I never have any complaints about Bleu Olive and plan to return semi-regularly.Special Features:
- High qualityArcherDined on 7/8/2014Intimate and congenial spot with excellent Mediterranean food, good service, great drinks and wine.Special Features:
- Really good food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/8/2014We had the fried calamari and it was excellent. Ordered a Sonoma Chardonnay and it was really buttery and excellent. I ordered the salmon and it was out of this world.Special Features:
- Great find while in DurhamTime2DineVIPDined on 7/3/2014Ready when we arrived for our reservation, service was very good, food was excellent and we liked the ambiance. Nothing was apparently working too hard but the results of all the behind the scenes efforts resulted in really good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous - as usualAlexVIPDined on 7/3/2014Everything was great! We have never had anything that we didn't loveSpecial Features:
- Authentic farm fresh Greek cuisinebklynDined on 7/3/2014Farm fresh salads, authentic Greek cuisine, creative and delicious desserts. Service was friendly, prompt and server was very knowledgeable on wine pairings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful experience!ChristaDDined on 7/2/2014I met an old friend for lunch at bleu olive. We had a lot to talk about so, the waiter suggested we put our menus off to the side when we were ready to order rather than interrupt our conversation. I was very grateful for the consideration. He was very attentive without being intrusive or trying to usher us out as soon as possible. The food was great and well priced. The ambiance was delightful. I am so glad I chose bleu olive for this special reunion lunch and I will be frequenting and recommending this restaurant to everyone I know!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad serviceellison27Dined on 6/28/2014This was our 4th or 5th time eating dinner at Bleu Olive. The food was still very good, but the service was disappointing. One of our party of five didn't get his dinner until 5-10 minutes after the rest of our table had our entrees; the waiter didn't bring a steak knife with the steak; had to wait for quite a while for drinks to be delivered to our table. All in all, service inattentive and poor. Hope this will be remedied or we will rethink coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fresh flavorsgreekFanDined on 6/28/2014great coffee creme brulee. Moussaka seemed to use shredded lamb and potatoes. Greek shrimp had big taste of marinated olives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!WilmingtonJayDined on 6/27/2014We've been to this restaurant at least seven times and the food is always excellent. Generally the ambience is very good. Some of the tables are too close to the kitchen and main walk area for servers, but there are plenty of great tables in the restaurant and if it itsn't too busy I'm sure the host will seat you at a quiet table. The service is typically very good. On our last visit the server was new and it showed, but otherwise the experience was very good.Special Features:
- Awesome!DeltaGirlDined on 6/27/2014Bleu Olive is absolutely my fav dining spot! It is the only spot in the Triangle that accommodates my food allergies without any trouble. The service is great and the food divine!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for Business Lunchdeb1rnDined on 6/26/2014This restaurant is definitely on the right track. I was surprised because the area is not known for upscale. The area is built up by one of the local health centers that opened services. Again, the restaurant seems to be trying upscale, and I think they are almost there. The menu has several, well described choices. I had the chicken schwarma and my colleague had the bleu burger. Both were good, not outstanding. The service was fairly quick, but I have to say that our server did not make us feel welcome, we were clearly an inconvenience to her. We even needed to ask to get flatware. With a little more effort, this place can be a gem instead of a decent lunch spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charge for bread?bluedevilbillDined on 6/22/2014After having a number of good meals here, I took a friend out for a Sunday brunch. I ordered the linguine with shrimp. It was excellent, as always. I asked the waiter if the meal came with any bread. He told me there would be an extra charge. I declined the offer. I spent nearly $35 there and I thought it was very tight of the restaurant not to add in a couple pieces of bread on a Sunday afternoon. I was not going to say anything publicly about this, but I sent the restaurant a communication about this on its web-site and never got a response.Special Features:
- Service fell shortcolascroversVIPDined on 6/20/2014Our second visit to Bleu Olive confirmed its reputation for very good food preparation and presentation. Unfortunately, the ambiance is merely par for a shopping-center based neighborhood eatery, and the service less accommodating than one would expect even in the rudest souvlaki shack. We will not be back.
- North Carolina MediterraneanGreekloverDined on 6/18/2014I enjoyed having lunch with two friends at Bleu Olive and recommend it highly for business lunches as well as casual get togethers. I especially enjoyed the Greek dishes. I had spanakopita and a wonderful beet soup. I am over 70 and have a little trouble hearing above the noise, but this is an ideal spot for quieter outdoor dining in good weather. The proximity to several Duke clinics should make this an ideal venue for those with appointments nearby.Special Features: