1821 Hillandale Road
Durham, NC 27705Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bleuolivebistro.com/
- Phone: (919) 383-8502
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Mon - Fri 11am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Mon - Thur 5pm - 9:30pm | Fri & Sat 5pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Sun 11am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Sam Papanikas
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining room for any occassion.
- Private Party Contact: Angelika Papanikas 9193838502x
A word from Bleu Olive
A family operated - chef driven Mediterranean Bistro serving a fresh & local ingredient inspired menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Bleu Olive - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Bleu Olive reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (67)fit for foodies (64)special occasion (33)romantic (28)notable wine list (26)great for lunch (25)great for outdoor dining (22)good for groups (22)hot spot (9)great for brunch (8)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Wonderfully upscaleCaptJDined on 11/15/2014Appreciate the restaurant staffs excellent knowledge about the menu and attentive service on busy Saturday night . Everyone in our party of 6 enjoyed the meal. Will definetly come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/15/2014Typical restaurant in a shopping mall. If it is rated among the best dining in Durham, the standard is not very high.
- Celebration RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014We travel 65 miles each way to have our special dinners at Bleu Olive. The food, staff and overall ambiance make this an excellent restaurant that we enjoy more with every visit. While the noise level does bother some of our friends, my husband and I enjoy seeing people having a really good time and its never interfered with our experience. Outstanding food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad tasteOscar4Dined on 11/14/2014What started out as a delicious dinner served by a knowledgeable waiter spiraled into one of the worst dining experiences ever. Group of for foodies asked for a glass of water ti be refilled at the end if a $250 meal and were told they needed to clear table and could not bring more water. We had only been there 1.75/hrs not long for a fine dining experience. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND OR RETURN
- A Durham Dining ExperienceKigiDined on 11/10/2014What a delightful dining experience! We went on a Monday night and it wasn't busy. The server was knowledgable, funny and very honest about entrees. Our meal began with the spread sampler. Highly recommended. It provided us with four spreads and pits wedges, cucumber slices and crustinis. The tastes of each spread was so well balanced with flavor it was hard to pick a clear favorite. We ended up both ordering the lamb burger for an entree. It was delicious! The favors of the beets and parsley like pesto melted in with the richness of the goat cheese and the juiciness of the lamb. Dessert was also delicious. We had coffee and the pumpkin creme brûlée and chocolate hazelnut crepes. The Bleu Olive was a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceGsudsDined on 11/8/2014Really enjoyed the food. Although not catered to young kids the staff were very nice about the food mess my 10 mo madeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReasonableexpectationVIPDined on 11/5/2014Excellent meal, as always. Very accommodating staff.Special Features:
- Polly's BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014We were joined by 3 daughters for a low key birthday supper for my wife. Blue Olive proved to be the perfect choice. Wr were greeted & seated right away & our dining experiece could not have been better. Àppetizers, entrees, wine & desserts werw all.superb! Highlighting our experience was the cheerful & skilled.attention of our server, Nina K whose recommendations and service were truly outstanding! We'll. be back next trip to Durham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummyforthetummyDined on 11/1/2014My wife and i went for our second time there now and we have been very very happy w/ the food and service. Every dish had great flavor! The lamb especially is perfectly cooked, delicious. Perfect size portions as well. The place is clean also.(that's always a plus) I think we'll make this place one of our favorites to visit more and more.Special Features:
- LuvgoodfoodDined on 10/30/2014Favorite spot for a good lunch. Love the soup and salads hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to dineMarshaDined on 10/25/2014We had a wonderful experience dining here. We shared the stuffed grape leaves and beet salad. Both were plated beatifully and were nicely seasoned. Each of us enjoyed our main course and we shared the wonderfully tasting baklava. Our waitress was very pleasant and very knowledgable about the menu.Special Features:
- Order the chickenFoodiefanVIPDined on 10/25/2014We started with the Crispy Carolina Oysters which were satisfying--anything fried is gonna be good. The Avgolemono soup was tasty. The free range chicken with the apple bacon hazelnut stuffing was terrific, moist, great combination of flavors. We enjoyed the Scottish Salmon, it was good, but we both thought the chicken was something special. The place was full on the night we were there, a Saturday, and the atmosphere was lively and pleasant, with warm lighting. Our waitress, Angelika, was very friendly and attentive. I would definitely go back, and order the chicken again, but I'd order a different fish dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodDine2ShineDined on 10/20/2014I ordered the plake, made with fresh sword fish, which was AWESOME! I have never been served a piece of fish that thick, nor that well prepared. Others in our group were equally pleased with their entrees. One member of our party was celebrating her birthday, which was recognized by the restaurant with an exceptionally delicious chocolate dessert. Other commitments that evening required us to eat dinner at 5:15 PM. Some restaurants try to seat such early arrivals in the worst locations in the restaurant. Such was not the case here.Special Features:
- Great service/disappointing cuisineBenchleyDined on 10/18/2014We had a super waitress. Very friendly and helpful. And the restaurant is nicely designed. But the cuisine did not cut it for us. We had four different main courses. The steak/frites was probably the best, although not great. The two vegetarian dishes were bland and the moussaka, which is normally a Greek staple and hard to get wrong, was more like a 'shepherd's pie' - the eggplant was microscopic.Special Features:
- Happy birthdayDebbiDined on 10/17/2014We are on a long camping trip and wanted to meet a friend for a three way birthday lunch at a location halfway between the campground and her house. We found the blue olive on mapquest, took a look at the menu and the decision was made. We had a really fabulous lunch and the service was so good that the wait staff heard us disputing who would pay since it was a lunch to celebrate all three birthdays and she showed up with a delicious desert to be shared with a lit candle. We only regret that we don't live in the area. We would definitely return often. There is envy for our local friend who can easily return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome luncheon!katydidDined on 10/17/2014Our luncheon at the Blue Olive exceeded our expectations! We were given a table where the ladies could talk easily. The menu is amazing, there is so much to choose from. All of our choices were presented beautifully and were delicious. The mussels were exceptional. The service was outstanding! This restaurant should be on everyone's list of places to visit.Special Features:
- popular for lunchmop2eliDined on 10/15/2014This is a great place for lunch. A group of us lunch out once a month. We are a particular group of foodies and Bleu Olive made our "must return" list.Special Features:
- Most PreferredWarningDined on 10/10/2014Blue Olive is my most preferred restaurant because the pork chops are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do you love salt?GeejDined on 10/10/2014I ordered steak frites. It was so salty (and I LOVE salt) that I had to return it for a remake. On the second try (after my partner had already finished eating), the steak okay, but not special and the fries were as salty as the first time and not edible. No recompense of any kind was offered for the very disappointing meal. My mouth burned from the salt the rest of the evening. I will not return or recommend the Bleu Olive to anyone.Special Features:
- A Great Start To An EveningArnoldSDined on 10/10/2014Headed to a night at the theatre with friends and suggested Blue Olive. Big hit with them and always big hit with us. GREAT food, GREAT service and GREAT atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great birthday dinner for my wifeSDeniseVIPDined on 10/8/2014The food was fantastic at Blue Olive as always. I had the hickory pork chop with caramelized apples and I was able to substitute and have the sides for the lamb loin. I have to say the mushroom risotto, broccoli rabe and bordelaise sauce went great with the pork and they were gracious enough to make the change at no extra charge. They have the best pork chop I have ever eaten. The birthday girl loved the local grass fed rib-eye steak with root vegetable hash, broccoli rabe and bordelaise sauce. The baba ghanoush was tangy and went great with the sliced cukes and pita bread. The dinner, service and atmosphere helped make the birthday celebration a wonderful event.Special Features:
- Okay timeNomadVIPDined on 10/4/2014Service was great, food was good, but somehow I left more disappointed than happy this time. Though billed as a Mediterranean/Greek restaurant, most of the main dishes seemed anything but with the exception of the small side plates. Maybe that explains my feelings upon leaving.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again, loved itesfoodieVIPDined on 9/22/2014Haven't been here for dinner, but the lunch is great. Many choices, many look GREAT. We'll be back...again.Special Features:
- AwesomeAlexVIPDined on 9/19/2014We love Bleu Olive and go there often. We love introducing this fabulous restaurant to friends and family. However, we prefer to eat outside as the noise level inside one a busy night precludes conversation. Even the staff admits to feeling frazzled by the noise. I would suggest employment of some noise reducing devices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful Eatery!!!LouwanDined on 9/12/2014The food was the star here! From the different flavored appetizer sampling to the pistachio honey cheesecake; every dish was done to bring out its uniqueness. Salmon burger browned on outside, juicy, flavorful inside. Plenty of cheese and spinach in the flaky crusted spanakopita. My test for a Mediterranean restaurant is the soup (egg/lemon). Light broth,lots of chicken and the hint of tartness was just right! I could go on and on. Our waiter was professional and adept but personable as well. We ate outside this time, but the inside looked tasteful and inviting. If I lived in Durham this would be a place I would go to often and would bring my friends. See you on our next trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/10/2014We had the grilled saganaki, charred octopus, mushroom risotto, and steak frites. All were good and cooked perfectly! The chocolate ganache torte and hazelnut crepes were good also, but the banana cardamom gelato with the crepes while tasting great was more icy than creamy unfortunately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third VisitACLynnVIPDined on 9/6/2014This was our 3rd visit to Bleu Olive and, as always, the experience was outstanding. The quality of food and service were truly GREAT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014This was an enjoyable evening with excellent atmosphere, food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RdodgenDined on 9/4/2014Food was outstanding, still hot when delivered. Can not compare this restaurant with any other in the area. Always busy and the waiter keeps checking back making sure we were satisfied and if we needed anything else about 2-3 times all total. The restaurant had a large crowd of customers for a Thursday night, I thought that showed you that the food was very good and had ample amount of waiters so no large waiting periods between seating, ordering, and receiving your meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome EveningMoonDined on 8/29/2014Came here with another couple, one a wine connisseur, both foodies. Everything was superb. Arrived 7 pm; left 11 pm. Great wine list. Amazing service. Imaginative menu. Only downside - rather crowded and noisy. Bartender very knowledgable. Food was luscious. This was our first visit. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gemWashingtonVIPDined on 8/27/2014This is probably the best food you're going to get in a strip mall. The menu is creative, the food is delicious, the service is great, and the drinks are fantastic. The crowd is a little older and stuffier, but that's probably because of the location: it's near a retirement community and the high-end homes that surround it, and it's one of the only good restaurants for miles.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and DrinkhortonDined on 8/25/2014Crispy NC oyster mezze was superb as was the fish special: moon fish. Delightful young waiter who was quite knowledgeable about both the food and the wine.Special Features:
- Excellent brunch!JimN70Dined on 8/17/2014Met family for brunch. It was their first visit and our first brunch there. Everything was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findLindaBDined on 8/16/2014Our waiter was nice and made suggestions. He did ask if we like calamari and suggested the sauteed calamari but my husband wanted the crispy fried calamari. It was not oily at all and perfectly cooked with two dipping sauces. We liked the preparation but there was an odd aftertaste. It may have been the breading or the oil.........not bad, just not as good as it could have been. While we waited for the calamari, bread and dipping oil was presented.The bread was just okay but the dipping oil was very good.I had the blackened snapper on a gumbo and my husband had the grouper with sauteed red peppers, spinach, and fennel. Both were perfectly cooked and delicious! We were too full for dessert.Prices were in line and portions very good.Special Features:
- DurhamranDined on 8/15/2014I do not have to write ANYTHING. Is this a literature class. It is I doing you a favor. Bye.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice mealKyleDined on 8/14/2014Nice presentation of traditional Mediterranean dishes. Flavorful, aesthetic, delicious. Would visit again.Special Features:
- Still my favorite...Nightmare94Dined on 8/13/2014This is still my favorite restaurant in the triangle.Special Features:
- Nice menuValdoDined on 8/10/2014We chose Bleu Olive to meet friends for brunch based upon the fact that they had $12 bottomless mimosas and an extensive brunch menu. When we were seated we were informed that they no longer offer the bottomless mimosas (had been removed from the menu on the table, but not from the website). That aside, their brunch cocktails were very good and reasonably priced. I love the options on their menu; much to choose from. Everyone at our table cleared their plate in a hurry, which is generally a good sign. My Mediterranean omelet was phenomenal...and quite large (considering the trend is tiny portions with high prices). The home fries were REAL home fries, as opposed to frozen potato bits that have been deep fried with no seasoning.Special Features:
- DisappointingShouldhavedinedelsewhereDined on 8/9/2014We were looking forward to a nice meal before going to the DPAC- Our server took our appetizer and entree order and then returned to our table with just our entrees- we reminded her that we had ordered an appetizer but she just shrugged and gave us our meal- My friends fish was raw in the center and she ended up sending it back- the server made no apologies to us for the disappointing experience- could not recommend this restaurant to anyone-Special Features:
- A really nice place to eatMaxtheDinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Th only reason I have not marked service with a five star is that the waiter , who was otherwise very good and not over-attentive, seemed to rush us until we told him firmly to slow down. It was not because they were seeking to turn tables, but instead just a form of service. The service could have allowed us more time and the courses, especially the first, could have arrived more slowly. As it was, the appetzer salads came while we were still having early sips of our cocktails. But this is a fine place to eat and we have been several times and taken friends to introduce them to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.