139 Duane Street
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
TriBeCa - Downtown
Contemporary EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kg-ny.com/
- Phone: (212) 571-8880
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm-12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, Austrian, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Kurt Gutenbrunner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering available for passed receptions and dinners. Please contact Abigail Llido for further details.
- Private Party Facilities: Blaue Gans is available to rent for private functions.
- Private Party Contact: Abigail Llido, Abigail@wallse.com 2123522300x12
- Special Events: Blaue Gans is available for large, non-private group dinners as well as for full rental. Please contact Abigail Llido for further details.
- Cross Street: Between West Broadway and Church Street
- Public Transit: 1,2,3 and A,C,E to Chambers Street or 4,5,6 to Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered parking is available on Duane Street. Private garage located just north of Church street on Trimble Place, off of Duane Street.
A word from Blaue Gans
Blaue Gans meaning "blue goose" is Chef Gutenbrunner's reproduction of an authentic Austrian "Wirtshaus" in his own Tribeca neighborhood. Blaue Gans serves seasonal authentic Austro-German dishes with wonderful beers and wines. The perfect neighborhood spot for friends and families.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blaue Gans reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (38)fit for foodies (26)good for groups (22)great for lunch (11)late-night find (7)great for outdoor dining (7)romantic (6)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (5)notable wine list (5)special occasion (5)hot spot (5)great for brunch (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/8/2014The food was good and the service was agreeable and friendly, easy to get suggestions and explanations about wine and menu. Surprisingly the delivery of our meal was slow, compared to the tables around us, but since we were not in a hurry and the room was so attractive and comfortable, it was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different than last visitGregDined on 11/5/2014Last visit was for Christmas Goose, it was quiet and food was great. This time is was excessively loud due to a group of over 20 seated at a group of tables that ran the length of the restuarant. I can't really blame the restuarant for accomandating a large group, I just should have left and found a quieter location. Both of our entrees were very salty, they were German dishes, but still way to salty. Service was outstanding. I'll go back, but will avoid when there is a big group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is okUpperWestSiderVIPDined on 11/3/2014I am not really into this type of food, heavy on the carbs. But ok for what it is. Good beer though.
- TommyboyDined on 10/25/2014great service, good food though smallish portions, wine list needs bottles starting well below the $42 level.Special Features:
- very nice dinnerVemeDined on 10/23/2014took a friend out for typical Austrian/German food and she loved it:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MandBVIPDined on 10/23/2014Always great food and beer. Schnotzels are always great as are the wurst and Liptauer cheese. The special this evening was venison goulash which was excellent. Great bread and pretzels as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!Nyc10029Dined on 10/23/2014It's always a great place to eat! Best Austrian food around!Special Features:
- ExcellentPapiVIPDined on 10/21/2014Everything was terrific from the food to the service. The interior of the restaurant was great also and added to the experience. Will come back again on another trip to New York.Special Features:
- Blaue Gans Continues to ImpressOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/14/2014I was invited to Blaue Gans for some friends' anniversary dinner. The food was terrific, the cocktails delicious, the staff helpful and very good at their jobs. So when it was time for my birthday later in the month, I invited folks to celebrate with me at Blaue Gans. They loved it, including a discerning German!Special Features:
- Authentic Austrian food!MattysmomDined on 10/12/2014Schnitzel on the brunch menu was really good-served piping hot with a crispy breading and tender meat. Desserts were very good though expensive. Everyone enjoyed their meals. Nice beer list.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Not so great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/11/2014Food was absolutely delicious. Disappointing that our server was virtually no help is guiding us our first time at the restaurant. She may have been new, not sure, but she couldn't help us much at all with our questions. It was as if it was her first time seeing the menu as well. I'll say it again though, the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Grüß GottucmyDined on 10/10/2014Thank you and vielen Dank for a great evening. We will definetly recommand this place to our friends in Germany (and Austria of course). "I'll be back!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- authentic Austrian foodOTVIPVIPDined on 10/8/2014No nonsense good hearty Austrian food. I dine out 3-4 times a week and it was refreshing to be at a restaurant with good basic food, without any cutting edge fusions or other culinary trends.Special Features:
- Great food, unforgivable wineMThereseDined on 10/3/2014Food quality and beer selection is great. No excuse for the cheapness if the wines. We got a $49 Cuvée that tasted like an $8 Zin. Threw off the whole meal and put judgement of restaurant in question. Why put that on the menu when there are so many exquisite and reasonably priced Austrian wines?Special Features:
- CenzoDined on 10/1/2014I rated the ambiance poor only because of the noise level, which was deafeningly uncomfortable. The crowd was raucous, but it was the loud music that was most annoying. I wonder if Opentable has a category for restaurants that are quiet or even have no music. I think those are rare and precious finds in NYC>Special Features:
- We love it!GabyDined on 9/27/2014in 2012 we were at this lovely restaurant on our sons recommendation. This year we came back and again, the food and wine was very tasty (Wiener Schnitzel and potato cucumber salade). The wine list has a wide selection of good wines. At most places in the US there's always too much on the plate. At the Blaue Gans it's just perfect! The lady who served us was very kind :-) we'll always come back to that lovely restaurant if we are in New York.Special Features:
- The highlight of our trip.pumpkinDined on 9/21/2014We loved Blaue Gans. Staff was very friendly and attentive, lots of smilies, not over bearing. Drinks & food were very good. We loved the decor. Old museum art posters plastered all over the walls floor to ceiling. Ceiling fans provided a cool breeze. It looked & felt like a german beer hall from the 1930's. We had early dinner so not crowded and felt very romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite in my neighborhoodAW212VIPDined on 9/20/2014One of my favorites in TriBeCa. This restaurant never disappoints in food and service. I do miss the calves liver. Please bring that back!☺️Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our New Favorite!EileenCDined on 9/14/2014After enjoying Sabarsky's, we just had to stop by for a dinner at the Blaue Gans. What a pleasure: unpretentious but attentive service, wonderful food all thoughtfully presented, and a setting curiously quirky and elegant--a neighborhood hang-out and a destination restaurant. Our party of four--obviously from out-of-town--was treated as well as the locals, and we thought the food was marvelous. Our advice: go early and go often!Special Features:
- Great German/Austrian foodDrewVIPDined on 9/11/2014can't beat it. The Wiener Schnitzel is killer good!!!!Special Features:
- WarbVIPDined on 9/1/2014Went to the restaurant for dinner on Labor Day Monday. Haven't been to Blaue Gans in a while and either because it is totally passe or because it was the Monday of a Holiday weekend, it was almost completely empty except for 3 other tables. Of course it could also have been the fact that it was 90 F outside and at least the same temperature inside! I have no idea why there was no air conditioning on and the ceiling fans definitely did not do the trick. Austrian food not being light fare to begin with, did not make this any easier. I had the Schnitzel which is always good but my friend's pork roast came with a soggy dumpling and tough meat. Very disappointing and not enticing for me to go back any time soon.Special Features:
- Best schnitzel!!reh1166VIPDined on 8/26/2014We come here a few times a year and Blaue Gans never disappoints!Special Features:
- Perfect spot for lunch & a beertgindcVIPDined on 8/23/2014After touring a bit around the memorial, my husband and I were ready for lunch and a beer. Lots of places in the area, but we wanted something good. So we used our trusty Open Tables app and found this neighborhood gem. Wonderful! He had the brought worst, I have the kase spaetzle (Spaetzle with cheese and onions) and both were excellent. Good selection of beer, with drafts available in various sizes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great German/Austrian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/19/2014One of the few German/Austrian restaurants in New York, and a fine one at that. Close to the Wall St. area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemSandiVIPDined on 8/14/2014A lovely, elegant but refreshingly low-key and unselfconscious brasserie-style restaurant with attentive service, excellent Viennese food and a gentle neighborhood vibe. Al fresco dining during warm weather, otherwise Avery appealing, European-style interior with walls plastered with art posters. A real find.Special Features:
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/29/2014We had excellent service. We chose this restaurant for friends who were leaving Manhattan. They love Austrian/German food. Excellent food. I especially loved the mussels! The broth!!! Thanks for a special time.Special Features:
- The following 632 reviews are from the Blaue Gans reviews archive.
- Poor QualitysushiVIPDined on 7/20/2014The food here was very forgettable. I had a tomato salad, which had a small amount of tomato and 2 slivered radishes. For $12 it was not worth ordering and quite bland tasting. The liver was tough and hard to chew. The schnitzel very average with little flavor. All in all I will NOT be returning ever.
- Terrific! Relaxing & great food!YummyNumsDined on 7/11/2014Try the Salzburger Nockerl for dessert. But use a spoon to dive deep into the meringue and scrape up the lingonberry sauce on the bottom. Yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, high pricesblackelectricDined on 6/21/2014I really wanted a white asparagus dish after being in Germany and Austria, so I ordered the Asparagus with pork schnitzel for $25. For that price, I should've gotten a larger schnitzel and at least 5 asparagus spears, instead, I got a small schnitzel and 2 spears. I probably should've ordered the $10 asparagus soup and ended it there. The service was fast and the atmosphere was lively, I got to have a delicious taste of Austria in NYC, but in the end, the schnitzels and sausages were probably more worth the price than the asparagus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisyveraDined on 6/19/2014I was meeting there to discuss business with a co-worker and i was shocked that the TV was VERY loud for the Soccer World Cup. I wish they would have told me that they are hosting the games, I would have picked another place for my purposeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- schnitzel!jabathehutDined on 5/30/2014Wonderful meal with friends. Had the gravlax and then the veal schnitzel, all delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected BetterFundguyVIPDined on 5/26/2014Four of us went here partly because of a NY Times recommendation about the weiner schnitzel. Overall, it's a fun place and it's fine if you are in the neighborhood. But the schnitzel was disappointing -- it was nicely prepared but my piece was full of gristle and difficult to eat.
- Great for ambience, mixed for foodWoad2014VIPDined on 5/25/2014Blaue Gans is as authentic as a German restaurant gets in New York. Beer selection outstanding: *everything* is on draft, no bottles. Weissbier, or wheat-beer, came with a lemon quarter instead of a slice, but beer itself was as good as in Bavaria. We were there early so couldn't tell about the usual noise level, but the place itself is much like a good student restaurant in Munich or Berlin. The food didn't quite measure up to the beer (or the prices, which are *not* for students): beet salad was delicious, trout pastry good but over-chilled; pork cordon bleu--basically a breaded pork cutlet--very decent; "Kavalierspitz" (braised beef) soft, good flavor; "creamed" spinach runny, flavorless. Recommend for beer and atmosphere, less for food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jaegerschnitzel? Nein Danke!LarryBDined on 5/11/2014I was disappointed in the Jaegerschnitzel: the too thin slice of pork seemed browned only on one side (the bottem was a gray, apparently unbreaded surface). The whole thing was smothered in an unappealing cheesey/creamy sauce. Other members of my party enjoyed their meals, so perhaps I ordered the wrong item.Special Features:
- Authentic Austrian CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014Authentic and well-prepared German/Austrian cuisine. Relaxed, down-to-earth ambiance. Good value.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy PeasiefredsfavesDined on 5/11/2014Perfect Mother's Day outing with children. Very relaxingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blaue Gans a great findSallisaysgothereDined on 5/2/2014Consider Blaue Gans, an Austrian gem, when looking for something different on the chic side yet casual at the same time. Great buzz. Owner/manager provides personal touch.Special Features:
- First class Austrian comfort foodkaiserschmarrnVIPDined on 4/29/2014This is a favorite mid-week lunch spot -- it's generally not too busy in the middle of the day, and the food is consistently very good and reasonably priced (especially the prix-fixe menu). Love the selection of classic Viennese fare, coupled with Austrian beer and wine. Schnitzel is always prepared authentically -- and never heavy or greasy. Apricot palatschinken (crepes) were an outstanding dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blaue Gans a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/28/2014another of Kurt Gutenbrunner's gems -- and it's DOWNTOWN, too! The Mitteleuropa-ish cuisine is hard to find in the USA, but KG has several restaurants in NYC, all serving similar cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice dinnercooleyDined on 4/24/2014food was great, a little noisy.comfortable place...wiull go backSpecial Features: