139 Duane Street
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
TriBeCa - Downtown
Contemporary EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kg-ny.com/
- Phone: 2125718880x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm-12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, Austrian, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Kurt Gutenbrunner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering available for passed receptions and dinners. Please contact Abigail Llido for further details.
- Private Party Facilities: Blaue Gans is available to rent for private functions.
- Private Party Contact: Abigail Llido, Abigail@wallse.com 2123522300x12
- Special Events: Blaue Gans is available for large, non-private group dinners as well as for full rental. Please contact Abigail Llido for further details.
- Cross Street: Between West Broadway and Church Street
- Public Transit: 1,2,3 and A,C,E to Chambers Street or 4,5,6 to Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered parking is available on Duane Street. Private garage located just north of Church street on Trimble Place, off of Duane Street.
A word from Blaue Gans
Blaue Gans meaning "blue goose" is Chef Gutenbrunner's reproduction of an authentic Austrian "Wirtshaus" in his own Tribeca neighborhood. Blaue Gans serves seasonal authentic Austro-German dishes with wonderful beers and wines. The perfect neighborhood spot for friends and families.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Blaue Gans reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)fit for foodies (16)great for lunch (15)good for groups (9)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (7)romantic (5)notable wine list (5)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (5)special occasion (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Best schnitzel!!reh1166VIPDined on 8/26/2014We come here a few times a year and Blaue Gans never disappoints!Special Features:
- Perfect spot for lunch & a beertgindcDined on 8/23/2014After touring a bit around the memorial, my husband and I were ready for lunch and a beer. Lots of places in the area, but we wanted something good. So we used our trusty Open Tables app and found this neighborhood gem. Wonderful! He had the brought worst, I have the kase spaetzle (Spaetzle with cheese and onions) and both were excellent. Good selection of beer, with drafts available in various sizes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great German/Austrian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/19/2014One of the few German/Austrian restaurants in New York, and a fine one at that. Close to the Wall St. area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemSandiVIPDined on 8/14/2014A lovely, elegant but refreshingly low-key and unselfconscious brasserie-style restaurant with attentive service, excellent Viennese food and a gentle neighborhood vibe. Al fresco dining during warm weather, otherwise Avery appealing, European-style interior with walls plastered with art posters. A real find.Special Features:
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/29/2014We had excellent service. We chose this restaurant for friends who were leaving Manhattan. They love Austrian/German food. Excellent food. I especially loved the mussels! The broth!!! Thanks for a special time.Special Features:
- Poor QualitysushiVIPDined on 7/20/2014The food here was very forgettable. I had a tomato salad, which had a small amount of tomato and 2 slivered radishes. For $12 it was not worth ordering and quite bland tasting. The liver was tough and hard to chew. The schnitzel very average with little flavor. All in all I will NOT be returning ever.
- Terrific! Relaxing & great food!YummyNumsDined on 7/11/2014Try the Salzburger Nockerl for dessert. But use a spoon to dive deep into the meringue and scrape up the lingonberry sauce on the bottom. Yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, high pricesblackelectricDined on 6/21/2014I really wanted a white asparagus dish after being in Germany and Austria, so I ordered the Asparagus with pork schnitzel for $25. For that price, I should've gotten a larger schnitzel and at least 5 asparagus spears, instead, I got a small schnitzel and 2 spears. I probably should've ordered the $10 asparagus soup and ended it there. The service was fast and the atmosphere was lively, I got to have a delicious taste of Austria in NYC, but in the end, the schnitzels and sausages were probably more worth the price than the asparagus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisyveraDined on 6/19/2014I was meeting there to discuss business with a co-worker and i was shocked that the TV was VERY loud for the Soccer World Cup. I wish they would have told me that they are hosting the games, I would have picked another place for my purposeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- schnitzel!jabathehutDined on 5/30/2014Wonderful meal with friends. Had the gravlax and then the veal schnitzel, all delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected BetterFundguyVIPDined on 5/26/2014Four of us went here partly because of a NY Times recommendation about the weiner schnitzel. Overall, it's a fun place and it's fine if you are in the neighborhood. But the schnitzel was disappointing -- it was nicely prepared but my piece was full of gristle and difficult to eat.
- Great for ambience, mixed for foodWoad2014Dined on 5/25/2014Blaue Gans is as authentic as a German restaurant gets in New York. Beer selection outstanding: *everything* is on draft, no bottles. Weissbier, or wheat-beer, came with a lemon quarter instead of a slice, but beer itself was as good as in Bavaria. We were there early so couldn't tell about the usual noise level, but the place itself is much like a good student restaurant in Munich or Berlin. The food didn't quite measure up to the beer (or the prices, which are *not* for students): beet salad was delicious, trout pastry good but over-chilled; pork cordon bleu--basically a breaded pork cutlet--very decent; "Kavalierspitz" (braised beef) soft, good flavor; "creamed" spinach runny, flavorless. Recommend for beer and atmosphere, less for food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jaegerschnitzel? Nein Danke!LarryBDined on 5/11/2014I was disappointed in the Jaegerschnitzel: the too thin slice of pork seemed browned only on one side (the bottem was a gray, apparently unbreaded surface). The whole thing was smothered in an unappealing cheesey/creamy sauce. Other members of my party enjoyed their meals, so perhaps I ordered the wrong item.Special Features:
- Authentic Austrian CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014Authentic and well-prepared German/Austrian cuisine. Relaxed, down-to-earth ambiance. Good value.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy PeasiefredsfavesDined on 5/11/2014Perfect Mother's Day outing with children. Very relaxingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 622 reviews are from the Blaue Gans reviews archive.
- Blaue Gans a great findSallisaysgothereDined on 5/2/2014Consider Blaue Gans, an Austrian gem, when looking for something different on the chic side yet casual at the same time. Great buzz. Owner/manager provides personal touch.Special Features:
- First class Austrian comfort foodkaiserschmarrnVIPDined on 4/29/2014This is a favorite mid-week lunch spot -- it's generally not too busy in the middle of the day, and the food is consistently very good and reasonably priced (especially the prix-fixe menu). Love the selection of classic Viennese fare, coupled with Austrian beer and wine. Schnitzel is always prepared authentically -- and never heavy or greasy. Apricot palatschinken (crepes) were an outstanding dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blaue Gans a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/28/2014another of Kurt Gutenbrunner's gems -- and it's DOWNTOWN, too! The Mitteleuropa-ish cuisine is hard to find in the USA, but KG has several restaurants in NYC, all serving similar cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice dinnercooleyDined on 4/24/2014food was great, a little noisy.comfortable place...wiull go backSpecial Features:
- Perfect Easter DinnerRAD3Dined on 4/20/2014We needed a place for the family to meet on Easter in Tribeca and Blaue Gans was a wonderful find. The regular menu and a special Easter menu were available. Both were reasonably priced and we ordered from both menus. We loved the atmosphere, the casual feel, and how comfortable we felt to linger. Everything we ordered was outstanding with a special nod to the flourless chocolate cake, which was out of this world.Special Features:
- Awesome Schnitzel!BahamamouseDined on 4/12/2014Fun atmosphere! My husband and I had dinner at the Bluae Gans with our college aged son and his friend. They enjoyed the atmosphere and food as much as we did. Will go back - it was awesome. Great service too.Special Features:
- perfectly casualrenslerDined on 3/29/2014I like a lively, casual spot where you don't have to worry about attitude, and the food is superb. Die Blaue Gans is such a place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My FavoriteNativeNYerDined on 3/27/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants. Accessible and consistently good food - have never had a bad meal here or lackluster service in the many years that I've been going. It's my go-to place for just a festive occasion with friends. Especially out of towners who are looking for a dining experience beyond Italian cuisine. Or for just a nice meal with family. The desserts are to die for...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Consistent.GregVIPDined on 3/22/2014We get the same great food, and same great service every time. This time we had a couple of small requests to the kitchen which were accomidated immediately and graciously. THANK YOU!Special Features:
- Great Food and good clientsAlexanderDined on 3/5/2014Walter and the son of Kurt where really very nice! We had a Great evening! Food was very good! Beeing a Hotelier my Self ( in Tegernsee/Germany ) i know what I am talking about! Walter is a Full blooded Gastgeber allways on the Run to satisfy his guests! We will Return!Special Features:
- What a great findItslittlepdDined on 3/1/2014My friends and I had a very pleasurable dining experience last Saturday nite. The food was outstanding as was the service and the bar selections. We will be going back regularly. I offer one item of note - it is loud - not in the sense of too many persons jammed to close - the layout is such that one not worry as there is plenty of elbow room. It is a byproduct the architectural design - high ceilings/hard walls. If you are going with a group it's going to be difficult to converse among persons other than those close to you. That said, it's definitely a keeper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ausgezeichnet!GeoffreyDined on 3/1/2014The food was delicious and, when we spoke to the wonderful young German-American hostess about not being able to try Chef Gutenbrunner's Café Sabarsky, she was kind enough to call over to the café and make reservations for us a few hours later so that we could try desserts and coffee there. It was wonderful! We WILL go back when we have the chance, and we look forward to trying The Upholstery Store and Wallsé, the chef's other restaurants in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable LunchAnonDined on 2/20/2014My guests specifically wanted a "German" venue, and I wanted somewhere close to their downtown hotel. This spot met both needs admirably.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must return and try more dishessirnedDined on 2/18/2014We were very pleased with our dinner. The meal exceeded expectations, and the choices were so attractive we want to go back to try other dishes. Very nice Austrian wine selection, excellent beers. The charcuterie platter was excellent and plentiful, chestnut soup and calf's liver most enjoyable. Good service and friendly unpretentious atmosphere. Having been to Austria this is an authentic slice of it in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the beginning of the end?kathaVIPDined on 2/17/2014I have been coming to the Blaue Gans regularly ever since it opened, I celebrated with my family, brought visitors from out of town, hosted client dinners, etc. But this weekend was an altogether different and not so great experience. Sneakily the sommelier tried to turn our order of a bottle of wine into a tasting event, without ever telling us that this is 12 dollars a glass. He offered to taste saying that they had an event ealier, that there where bottles open, It sounded like a treat, only to find 48 dollard added to our tab (on top of the bottle we had initially ordered). Food wasn`t up to standard either. Veal Schnitzel was veiny, hard to cut, too thick. No pickles on the charcuterie....pasty kaiserschmarrn....I am disapointed!Special Features:
- Great for a GroupLeffertsmomDined on 2/11/2014There were 6 of us for lunch and we were treated really well by the waiter. The food was good but the portion sizes were on the small side. Most of us drank cocktails and they were also very good but not great. All in all, it was an excellent restaurant for a lunchtime gathering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- S-c-h-n-i-t-z-e-lPaoloPDined on 2/1/2014And spätzle, lots and lots of spätzle. Blaue Gans is something from another world - the movie poster wall treatments in the dining room, the high curved ceilings, the slight accents on the staff - dinner here transports you. We thoroughly enjoyed their selection of German and Austrian wines, the staff was knowledgable and informative, and dinner was greatly affordable. I did overeat. But I loved every minute of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TremendousSCMikeVIPDined on 2/1/2014The food was excellent, as we followed our server's recommendations. His suggestion for a paired wine was also excellent.Special Features:
- I met someone on a recentLynnNelsonDined on 2/1/2014I met someone on a recent flight who told me that she had the most wonderful brunch at Blaue Gans after the Easter parade in NY last year. I looked up the menu on line and decided to make sure that I made it there with my husband on a trip we were planning to NY city. We ended up meeting a friend of mine who lives in Manhattan for brunch on a recent Sunday. The atmosphere felt very European, clean but kind of funky with lots of eye candy in the form of European art and performance posters perfectly arrayed on the walls. Our service was prompt and very professional and there was an air of ease and happiness in the space that made it very pleasant. Our food was very fresh and good and the drinks were wonderful. I would go again for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I always feel like I am offBaldrabbitVIPDined on 1/19/2014I always feel like I am off the beaten track in Vienna when I come here.Special Features:
- Worth a visitScarlettVIPDined on 1/19/2014Really good menu. My dining companions and I shared the entrees. The schnitzel was really well made and was extremely tasty; the speatzle with emmenthaler cheese was excellent and the weisswurst with pretzel and delicious mustard was also excellent. We had the pancakes with berries, pineapple and maple syrup for dessert. Wonderful. The service was attentive. The walls of the restaurant are covered with posters for art shows, plays, books, etc. You should go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice mealDavidDined on 1/12/2014Overall a nice place, just a bit off the beaten path if you're not already downtown. I would eat there again.Special Features:
- Austria in TriBeCaechoyrulesDined on 1/10/2014We had a lovely meal at Blaue Gans where the emphasis Is on authentic Austrian food and drink. The entrees were Uniformly delicious, the wine list small but well chosen, And the dessert we shared memorable. Our server was solicitous without being overly familiar, in the European style, which I prefer. The only downside is the lighting/wish it were a tad cozier. That being said, I'd go back tomorrow! Also, slightly pricey-but It is ManhattanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Entirely AuthenticKirstenDined on 1/4/2014There aren't many authentic Austrian/German restaurants in the U.S. anywhere. You will have found one in Blaue Gans. Take it from a very demanding German. This place comes as close to Austria- Germany as one can get here in the Good Ol' Us of A.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinner at Blaue GansVivianDined on 1/2/2014My sister and seven-year-old niece were in town and we had an early dinner (6 pm) at Blaue Gans. The hostess and servers were delightfully welcoming and attentive, the room was warm and comforting on a very cold night, and the food was delicious (I could eat the Jager Schnitzel every day, and my sister's Wiener Schnitzel looked fantastic). My notoriously picky niece ate up her "kinderschnitzel" and ice cream and enjoyed the company of the (very tolerant) hostess when she wanted to go look at the snow through the front window. I will be back -- I want to try the whole menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.